Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Sand Monster posted:

I'm not claiming you're wrong, I just didn't recall it. I do remember Eric saying that his dad was an ex-cop and it definitely sounded like he was the "good ol' boy" type which is likely why Eric was (at least initially) so homophobic.

i didn't take it that way! i figured it was an honest question, i was moreso just saying that this seems to be what people consider to be the truth about his parents and poking fun at the people online who spend all their time stalking random peripheral Stern show members

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

barnold posted:

this is apparently eric's dad. he looks exactly like the kinda guy who would be a stickler for mileage on the car

imagine being insanely religious and god-fearing and then your handicapped son is on the most popular radio show in the world talking about loving hookers at the bunny ranch lol. to be honest I can kinda understand why they weren't thrilled

I don't think he's thrilled at anything in this world, he looks catastrophically miserable.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lifespan posted:

Would he have adopted Q because it is bullshit conspiracy stuff or we would he hate it because it would be taking attention away from his bullshit and is very right leaning which he clearly was not? I think the later, but who knows.

This is completely anecdotal and an incredibly small sample size, but the only comparison to Riley I have is a woman named Kerry Cassidy. She has a youtube show where she talks about space aliens, spiders from space invading Vietnam, Annunaki, etc. The Knowledge Fight podcast does episodes on her occasionally and they are amazing.

She is a looney space alien believer, and she fell hard for Q. I wouldn't be surprised if Riley had gone Q crazy as well, but who knows.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Lifespan posted:

You totally would have made it on the air and could have used it to take a shot at Eeron.

Yeah, maybe not a million, but I've said it before in this thread: Riley deserved to make a lot more money because of all of the material his show and personality provided for the HSS. Sure, it's a slippery slope because almost everything can be made into content (Magic Johnson's show comes to mind), but when they decide to devote like 1/4th of the flagship show to discussing the "wacky guy's" show, then christ, throw him a bone

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

This is completely anecdotal and an incredibly small sample size, but the only comparison to Riley I have is a woman named Kerry Cassidy. She has a youtube show where she talks about space aliens, spiders from space invading Vietnam, Annunaki, etc. The Knowledge Fight podcast does episodes on her occasionally and they are amazing.

She is a looney space alien believer, and she fell hard for Q. I wouldn't be surprised if Riley had gone Q crazy as well, but who knows.

Riley was a con man not a mark.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

That "Yantra plus mantra equals tantra" lady Paula Gloria was an absolute loon back and then and would probably have gotten all Q'ed up.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In the old days there seemed to be a divide between ufo/time travel/vague mysterious government conspiracies and the full on Jews rule the world/Hillary has killed everyone/It's the Rapture conspiracy worlds. But maybe the political stuff has taken over completely. There seemed to be more of a divide when Art Bell was doing his thing before George Noory came along.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Shes Not Impressed posted:

That "Yantra plus mantra equals tantra" lady Paula Gloria was an absolute loon back and then and would probably have gotten all Q'ed up.

Didn't she die?

Edit: yeah, she dead :smith:

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

"Show us your poo poo pipe Paula!"
"That's one of our cranky callers, Rusty."

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Depends on how religious they were to start with. From what I've seen on social media, any UFO/ancient aliens/lizard people adjacent person who was even remotely religious went full Qanon fash when the opportunity presented itself.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Didn't she die?

Edit: yeah, she dead :smith:

Wow, wasn't expecting Wheels skidding to a halt in there.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Szyznyk posted:

Riley was a con man not a mark.

I still have my symbol framed and right next to my monitor. I would make it up to say "Break in case of emergency" but no one would get it anyway.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wow, wasn't expecting Wheels skidding to a halt in there.

I actually have no idea who Wheels is/was. I mean, I read the article, but it's not ringing any bells at all.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I thought wheels was the caller who got under Artie's skin and was always obsessed with Beth O but then remembered that was Pittsburgh Pete, who hopefully is also dead.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Oh drat who could have ever seen this one coming

Copyright Preempts Right of Publicity: SDNY rules against “Stuttering John” favoring copyright over publicity rights in Melendez v. Sirius XM Radio

quote:

n a clash between a radio personality’s right of publicity claim and a satellite radio’s copyright claim, the Southern District of New York recently dismissed John Melendez’s complaint against Sirius XM Radio alleging violation of California statutory and common law rights of publicity, holding that the promotion and rebroadcasting of his radio shows was preempted by federal copyright law. This case is a win for content owners who face claims by personalities trying to make an end run around improbable copyright claims and instead assert rights of publicity claims for use of their “attributes.”

Plaintiff Melendez is popularly known for his humorous “Stuttering John” radio interviews that aired for 16 years on the Howard Stern Show beginning in 1988 where he asked politicians, celebrities, and athletes outrageous questions. In 2004, Melendez left the show to become the announcer for Jay Leno’s The Tonight Show. Two years later, Howard Stern signed a deal with Sirius XM to move his show from terrestrial radio to the subscription-based satellite radio service. As a part of the deal, Sirius acquired a license to air current episodes of the show and to air full or partial episodes from the Howard Stern Show archives that feature Melendez as Stuttering John. According to the complaint, Melendez alleged that Sirius continuously aired old shows featuring Melendez and used his likeness to promote Sirius radio. Melendez sued in the Southern District of New York claiming Sirius violated his California statutory and common law rights of publicity.

The court dismissed the complaint with prejudice, finding that Melendez was attempting to prevent the airing of radio broadcasts, works that could be subject to copyright and that are governed by federal copyright law. The federal preemption provision, 17 U.S.C. § 301(a) establishes a two-pronged test to be applied in preemption cases. Under this test, states are precluded from enforcing penalties for state law violations if the intellectual property at issue falls within the “subject matter of copyright” as defined by federal law and if the claimed property rights are “equivalent to” the exclusive rights provided by federal copyright law.

Under the first prong, courts look at whether the subject matter at issue (here, sound recordings) pertain to subject matter covered by copyright. Even though the recordings of Melendez were not copyrighted (and may not even have been eligible for copyright protection), this did not preclude preemption because it was sufficient that the claim was subject to the possibility of statutory preemption. In short, Sirius did not actually need to be a copyright holder to prevail.

In addressing Melendez’s right of publicity claim, the court looked at whether his claim aimed to vindicate the misuse of Melendez’s likeness by implying a false endorsement or to exploit a work that could be subject to copyright protection, or if Melendez was attempting to control the dissemination of the work under copyright. Since Sirius was using the recordings to advertise the Howard Stern episodes featuring Melendez, and not Sirius itself, the court rejected Melendez’s argument of implied endorsement under California right of publicity. Melendez failed to plead any plausible facts that suggest Sirius’ intended audience could reasonably construe the advertisements as an endorsement of Sirius. The court noted that the only commercial advantage Sirius gains from playing the old clips of Melendez flows from the sound recordings themselves, not from Melendez’s identity.

Under the second prong of the copyright preemption test, the court must decide if the claimed property rights are “equivalent to” the exclusive rights provided by federal copyright law. In order to decide this factor, the court’s analysis focuses on whether the nature of the state law action is qualitatively different from a copyright infringement claim.

The court held that Melendez’s claims are not qualitatively different from copyright infringement claims because they are effectively claims for wrongful rebroadcasting of copyrightable sound recordings. Additionally, Melendez’s request for the court to permanently enjoin Sirius from “continuing the improper acts” made it clear to the court that Melendez was attempting to control the broadcasting of sound recordings—a right that is exclusive to the copyright holder—under the guise of protecting his right of publicity. As a result, the court dismissed the complaint with prejudice, ending Stuttering Johns’ action against Sirius from the onset.

This case is consistent with other court decisions refusing to enjoin the sale or distribution of a product based on state right of publicity laws where the product itself is a work subject to copyright (such as a photograph) and the celebrity’s attributes are not being used to endorse or sell a different commercial product, protecting the copyright holder of the works from questionable publicity claims.

https://cdas.com/copyright-preempts...irius-xm-radio/

I still don't understand John's logic here. He had absolutely no claims to any of the content being aired. I wonder if he found some shyster lawyer to work on contingency, no way could he afford hourly rates.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
It was a hail mary attempt to try and cash in on the fact that old radio contracts don't specify replays and streaming because traditionally, who the hell would replay a radio show. In all other formats there are deals for licensing and reruns and he might have had an argument if he was union, but Howard was famously not a SAG-AFTRA show so there was nothing in the contract. John hoped his contract not covering these clauses means he would get to fill in the blanks which is just not how it works.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Speaking of SAG, don't Howard and Gary still pay SAG dues?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Probably. My understanding is that the benefits are actually pretty good.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lifespan posted:

Probably. My understanding is that the benefits are actually pretty good.

What uh uh uh uh are you going to do? Fire muh
Muh muh me on the air?

Asks man recently fired on air

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Hard to believe Stuttering John ended up being a bigger loser than no-nose Artie

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

lynch_69 posted:

Hard to believe Stuttering John ended up being a bigger loser than no-nose Artie

I don't really have any ill will towards Artie but I'm not gonna lie, I'm glad John's life is total poo poo now.

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.

haljordan posted:

I don't really have any ill will towards Artie but I'm not gonna lie, I'm glad John's life is total poo poo now.

Same. I was listening to some old clips today while making dinner and John, while a great Stern show character in essence, is such an enormous piece of poo poo. I’m glad his wife left him (escaped) and I hope he dies penniless.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
People on Reddit are saying JD is divorced or separated. I hope she left him for Jared after she saw his pimp costume.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i listened to some howard Stern show clips in the car today. they were funny and I laughed

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

DeadBonesBrook posted:

People on Reddit are saying JD is divorced or separated. I hope she left him for Jared after she saw his pimp costume.

Hope that is fake or that sucks. JD comes across as a dork but decent guy that managed to punch above his weight.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
JD is a perv/creep that treated women like poo poo the moment he got a little fame.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Who's Da Badass now

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Who's going to wash his bed sheets now?

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Across the U.S., dollar signs appear in camgirls' eyes

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Bonzo posted:

Honest question, how is Sirius surviving?

Truck drivers, people in very rural areas, people who drive long distances. It truly is amazing for driving long distances.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Moniker posted:

Truck drivers, people in very rural areas, people who drive long distances. It truly is amazing for driving long distances.

Agree with this. The comedy channels really make the time go by on long trips

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Two Kings posted:

JD is a perv/creep that treated women like poo poo the moment he got a little fame.

Absolutely. Listen back to old clips and the way he treats the interns, particularly how he interacts with them before and after they tell him that they're not interested in dating him. A few years ago, someone on reddit posted a DM that (married) JD sent to the guy's sister and it was on par with Adam Levine's poo poo.

gently caress him. Dude would probably be up on charges if he worked in the real world and not a place where his sexual deviancy isn't treated as comedy fodder.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
... and, uhhh, the great ... Hugh ... JaSOL. Shoutout to Hugh Jassol!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Joe Buck asked Kimmel if he was going to be able to "get Howard Stern out of his basement and into a public setting" on Monday Night Football and then called him Jimble Kimble lol. I'm starting to come around on Joe Buck

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

The Robins Taley posted:

Same. I was listening to some old clips today while making dinner and John, while a great Stern show character in essence, is such an enormous piece of poo poo. I’m glad his wife left him (escaped) and I hope he dies penniless.

Yeah he really treated Suzanner like a servant, some pretty repugnant poo poo.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 27, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

barnold posted:

Joe Buck asked Kimmel if he was going to be able to "get Howard Stern out of his basement and into a public setting" on Monday Night Football and then called him Jimble Kimble lol. I'm starting to come around on Joe Buck

Lol that owns

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/UncleLarry112/status/1574633479374966785

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wendy has to be dead by now . Speaking of jimble Kimble

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

euphronius posted:

Wendy has to be dead by now . Speaking of jimble Kimble

No, quite recently she was living in a van in a Cracker Barrel parking lot with her crazy QAnon mom and making GBS threads in a portable toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Chicken Butt posted:

No, quite recently she was living in a van in a Cracker Barrel parking lot with her crazy QAnon mom and making GBS threads in a portable toilet.

:wtc: kinda life is that. Jesus.