Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Baldesion Arsenal is one of the coolest things in the game and it's worth doing Eureka to experience. Also get a sick mount for beating it the first time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I thought I wanted to be a summoner, but after tanking an instance I think I want to be a tank again :smith:. Marauder is a lot of fun!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mesadoram posted:

I thought I wanted to be a summoner, but after tanking an instance I think I want to be a tank again :smith:. Marauder is a lot of fun!

The tank is the hero of the story. Other roles aren't appropriate for Warriors of Light.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

sassassin posted:

The tank is the hero of the story. Other roles aren't appropriate for Warriors of Light.

This, that's why my MSQ main is DRK.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

sassassin posted:

Oh good my floor tank Dragoon being the MC is canon

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

sassassin posted:

The Heavensward Trailer seems to say otherwise

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Baldesion Arsenal is one of the coolest things in the game and it's worth doing Eureka to experience. Also get a sick mount for beating it the first time!

BA ftw

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Flair posted:

The Heavensward Trailer seems to say otherwise

So do the stormblood and shadowbringers trailers

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Well the Shadowbringers trailer ends as a Dark Knight being victorious.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hello thread, I have semi-recently started playing this-here video game. I'm an Arcanist who just hit level 30 and am trying to decide whether to primary level Summoner or Scholar. I'm leaning towards the latter for shorter duty queues, how soloable are healers? I don't have a regular party to play with and want to make sure I'm not signing up for getting my rear end kicked by big monsters that need more than my pithy Ruin can provide.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Healers can easily solo everything. Quests as you've seen don't have a ton of combat, and healers don't deal an insignificant amount of damage.

If anything they're a bit boring solo, but they're quite capable.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Of the seven jobs that the WoL has used in cinematic trailers, 3 are tanks, 3 are melee dps, and 1 is physical ranged. The one thing you can say for sure is that physical jobs look cooler in a trailer.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Trailer man switches jobs mid fight. I demand the ability to do this and also the ability to use two jobs at once. Let me complete my ascension to being a Gundam by letting me combine SGE with GNB. I'll even buy a rename for my catgirl and call her Setsuna from now on.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Let me switch jobs mid combo like Dante from the Devil May CryTM series.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Let me switch jobs mid combo like Dante from the Devil May CryTM series.

FFX-2 even made this a mechanic. It's part of the franchise already!

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

quiggy posted:

Hello thread, I have semi-recently started playing this-here video game. I'm an Arcanist who just hit level 30 and am trying to decide whether to primary level Summoner or Scholar. I'm leaning towards the latter for shorter duty queues, how soloable are healers? I don't have a regular party to play with and want to make sure I'm not signing up for getting my rear end kicked by big monsters that need more than my pithy Ruin can provide.
As Orcs mentioned, overworld soloing is not a big thing in this game. There are occasional collect bear asses quests but using a healer for them just means it'll take a minute longer than it would with a DPS job. Same for solo instanced quests.

Arcanist does not do a hard branch into Scholar or Summoner though; you will be leveling both simultaneously by playing one of them. This is the only set of jobs that does this. You will be free to switch between them as you please as long as you keep up your gearing for both. So if there are quests that require you to kill stuff and you want to do it faster, you can switch over to Summoner.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

iPodschun posted:

As Orcs mentioned, overworld soloing is not a big thing in this game. There are occasional collect bear asses quests but using a healer for them just means it'll take a minute longer than it would with a DPS job. Same for solo instanced quests.

Arcanist does not do a hard branch into Scholar or Summoner though; you will be leveling both simultaneously by playing one of them. This is the only set of jobs that does this. You will be free to switch between them as you please as long as you keep up your gearing for both. So if there are quests that require you to kill stuff and you want to do it faster, you can switch over to Summoner.

Oh, rad. Weird, but rad. Thanks!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is there a point to RDM's Enchanted Reprise (the skill you get at 76)?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

quiggy posted:

Oh, rad. Weird, but rad. Thanks!

Yeah, they were planning to have more jobs do a split like that (the one often cited is that Dark Knight was going to be a dps pair of Warrior, instead it's become a completely separate tank job in Heavensward) but then SMN/SCH turned out to be a real hassle coding-wise so they're the only ones.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Electric Phantasm posted:

In an ideal target dummy rotation, I don't think so. It's an option for when you have to be moving long enough that swiftcast has been used.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Generally not. In theory if you need to keep up continuous movement and thus absolutely cannot cast ,or you've managed to cap your mana meters accidentally and can't do a melee combo, it can fill those GCDs. But that's vanishingly rare.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Wrong thread

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I tried to buy the game and log in again after many years and was defeated by the square Enix account name and password boss .

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

euphronius posted:

I tried to buy the game and log in again after many years and was defeated by the square Enix account name and password boss .

If you end up having to email SE about getting your account back, make sure your email address has the proper capitalization, or lack thereof. Their database of user emails is case-sensitive apparently. Took a buddy of mine a few weeks to figure that out.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think I am going to create a new email and try a trial account to see if it works .

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Some people in this thread seem to think I made that 'which quests to prioritise' infographic (I did not) so I'll restate that advice in a different way:

If you are playing this game as a newbie, you will have a better time picking up every single Blue Quest and either doing them ASAP or throwing out the ones you're not interested in, rather than ignoring them all except when you have to.

Examples of Blue Quests you might throw out:

- A job or crafter/gatherer you're not currently interested in levelling (I would still recommend levelling at least one crafter/gatherer to 50 at some point even if you go no further, because it will unlock other stuff, but it's not a huge priority)
- Relic weapons and variations thereof, like primal weapons
- Eureka, it sucks, I refuse to do it and you can't make me (you won't see this anyway until after Stormblood)
- Extreme/Savage trials you're not able to tackle yet and don't want clogging up up your questlog. This is solved by Stormblood where accepting the quest just autocompletes it and puts the Extreme challenge in your duty list, so you can tackle it whenever you want and you don't have the quest clogging you up.

Examples of Blue Quests you will see and definitely want to do:
- Every single optional dungeon
- Every single raid
- Every single alliance raid
- the one that lets you mess with materia
- the one that lets you glamor/dye your stuff

'Raids' in FF14 do not have the same meaning it does in something like WoW.
A 'normal raid' is an 8-man fight that's basically a slightly tougher/longer, but still very doable for casual players, trial/bossfight.
An 'alliance raid' is basically a dungeon except for 24 players split into 3 parties of 8. These are, again, very doable for casual players.
You do not need to look up guides to do these. Just follow what all the other players are doing, and if you see markers on your minimap, go to the one assigned to your party (e.g. party C goes to marker C).

Raids and optional dungeons will not only have real actual lore in them, which may get called back to in future MSQ content, but also introduce mechanics and boss thematics that will get reused in future content. You will have a good experience if you complete all of one expansions raids before moving onto the next expansion, and a much smoother story experience.

One weird exception: the 'Coils of Bahamut' are the equivalent of Normal Raids for ARR, except they're tuned closer to 'Savage' difficulty because they were still figuring out how to structure content. While they are skippable, they genuinely have some deep lore in them. If you can manage it, the easiest way to see this is to find a couple of high level players to carry you through them 'unsynced' so they can stomp the content for you and you can see all the cutscenes.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 28, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I never did coils at the level one was supposed to do them at because everybody said either OH ITS REALLY HARD MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN A GREAT PARTY or SUP FAM HMU AND I'LL UNSYNC YOU THROUGH EM

wanna say around the low 70s? i tried unsyncing them on sge and blew the poo poo out of everything and got to see the cuts. that was pretty cool

they're still near the top of my list for Tails second chance farming

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

IIRC, these days it's not too bad to solo most of Coils unsynced with most classes, but I do think getting kicked in the face repeatedly synced with a good party is good for building character as long as you skip Twintania (who is just hard in a frustrating/tedious way rather than a tense one). Plus, if you extract any joy from it at all you will probably enjoy Extreme and/or Savage raiding.

...I should probably go unsync Coils, I'm in late StB now, I can probably tank it solo assuming I can race Nael's mechanics.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's fun leveling blue mage the slow way, getting bored, doing some leves for a change of pace, and then learning a spell from a monster the online guides forgot about.

Wasn't a super useful spell at the moment, but a wins a win.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
coil is definitely content designed for determined parties to spend weeks or months getting down, and doesn't have a story mode version. Potency creep, echo bonus, and general increase in player skill means they aren't as bad anymore but yeah doing them at-level is going to be tricky, and will just straight up never happen in duty finder

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The only reason Coils hasn't been made mandatory despite having just as much of a legitimate claim as Crystal Tower, if not moreso, is because then they'd have to actually redesign the raids to be beatable by normal casual players MSQing in their brand new ilvl90 job gear or doing roulette while drunk and stoned at 3 AM.

What I'm saying is that if Squeenix expected people to do Coils legitimately, they'd be making it happen already.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Like Clockwork posted:

IIRC, these days it's not too bad to solo most of Coils unsynced with most classes, but I do think getting kicked in the face repeatedly synced with a good party is good for building character as long as you skip Twintania (who is just hard in a frustrating/tedious way rather than a tense one). Plus, if you extract any joy from it at all you will probably enjoy Extreme and/or Savage raiding.

...I should probably go unsync Coils, I'm in late StB now, I can probably tank it solo assuming I can race Nael's mechanics.

I actually did somewhat enjoy the learning process of beating Twintania. Just figuring out "This is a stack marker with a unique graphic, this is a ground-target AoE despite locking onto a character, when he starts charging this MOVE YOUR rear end" was fun, more brainwork than I usually get out of the game. It was rather frustrating to wipe repeatedly, but we were clearly making progress and developing strategies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

They're talking about Y'shtola.

I think 6.x has been veering that way. She kicks off some of the post-End of Days stuff by wanting to go back to the First like she promised, and she gets moments of vulnerability like falling asleep in a pile of books and "Froth and Foam!" Not to mention the WoL specifically gets dialogue opportunities to roast her. Like it's not a major arc *yet* but it feels like they're adding detail to her besides just being an always-cool sardonic catlady.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

now that we're not saving the world she can revert to her true form

a nerd

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

girl dick energy posted:

The only reason Coils hasn't been made mandatory despite having just as much of a legitimate claim as Crystal Tower, if not moreso, is because then they'd have to actually redesign the raids to be beatable by normal casual players MSQing in their brand new ilvl90 job gear or doing roulette while drunk and stoned at 3 AM.

What I'm saying is that if Squeenix expected people to do Coils legitimately, they'd be making it happen already.

How many of them actually need redesigning rather than simply turning down the strength of the enemies? The majority are very quick and easy when overlevelled.

Hopefully they'll get to it eventually. Copperbell got more substantial work than most of the turns need.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

As well as the difficulty, Coils also has a ton of cutscenes inside the instances. They would need to do something with those before they could add an easier version of Coils to the Normal Raid Roulette or something.
Either taking them out of the Raids themselves and putting them in the connected quests, or making them unskippable and putting them in MSQDR.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

T13 is still one of my fav fights in the game but it is funny looking back and seeing that it's basically far less mechanically demanding than like, a current era Extreme fight. Hardest part of the whole encounter was the worse netcode making getting hit by divebombs way more difficult at the time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I defeated the email boss by making an entirely new email and buying the game again. That means I guess I get the new player bonuses. I think my old character was only level 40 or something so whatever.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

bewilderment posted:

- Eureka, it sucks, I refuse to do it and you can't make me (you won't see this anyway until after Stormblood)

eureka rules, actually, but like everything else in the game you can tackle it at your own pace instead of feeling like you have to rush through the entirety of it in as few days as possible. the content came out over a year and a half period and has weekly quests that let you get nice chunks of exp for a bit of your time.

definitely give it a shot if you've finished stormblood and wanna see what it's about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Me getting ready to look at the relic weapon models and give myself a long term headache in the name of fashion.

Also: I am a dumb lizard in the game, a dumb person IRL.