Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

So who did this? The Poles or Baltics? The Russians themselves? Anti-Russian protesters? Radical Environmentalists? I'm super curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Torrannor posted:

So who did this? The Poles or Baltics? The Russians themselves? Anti-Russian protesters? Radical Environmentalists? I'm super curious.

Russia.

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1574754484991016965

let’s pull on this thread a bit more. Say you’re Putin and concerned you might lose power in a coup. What would you do today so that your perceived enemies, internal or foreign, would feel not easily reversed pain after you were gone?

crippling pipelines seems like an easy start. What is next?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

pmchem posted:

Russia.

let’s pull on this thread a bit more. Say you’re Putin and concerned you might lose power in a coup. What would you do today so that your perceived enemies, internal or foreign, would feel not easily reversed pain after you were gone?

I feel once you start ordering your country to shoot itself in the shin your odds of being tossed out a window increase not decrease. So probably wouldn't be doing stuff like that, but what do I know, I'm not el presidente for life.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/jkass99/status/1574430887093178372

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

pmchem posted:

Russia.

Wasn't the gas supply to the EU one of the very few things Putin had for leverage? Other than CBRNE weapon systems, what does he have left for leverage?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ nukes

Torrannor posted:

Probably the russians, but that's not stopping cspam from saying it was the US.

I'd like to think whoever would have planned a SEAL mission for this would have the sense to realize seismic sensors would pick up an explosion, and they'd be smart enough to cut the line with some fancy underwater saw or plasma cutter instead of just lazily tossing explosives overboard and waiting for the bang.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ASAPI posted:

Wasn't the gas supply to the EU one of the very few things Putin had for leverage? Other than CBRNE weapon systems, what does he have left for leverage?

he already shut down most gas flow through Nord Stream. they have another gas pipeline to europe going through Ukraine, so leverage remains

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ASAPI posted:

European Immigration crisis with everyone leaving Russia? Otherwise known as "The North Korean Play"

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

pmchem posted:

he already shut down most gas flow through Nord Stream. they have another gas pipeline to europe going through Ukraine, so leverage remains

Ah, wasn't aware of a second pipeline.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ASAPI posted:

The EU was already committed to a total import stop for Russian gas, which Putin mostly pre-empted when he shut down Nord Stream 2 and decreased the gas flow through the Ukrainian pipelines. I don't see what blowing up NS 1 and 2 would do for him.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ASAPI posted:

The threat of gas supply was the weapon Putin wanted. Actually pulling the trigger has been a major gently caress up every step of the way. Feeding gas and getting euros while strong arming politicians with "<bad thing> unless you give me what I want" was by far the better situation for him but, welp, here we are.

Toothpaste ain't going back in the tube on this one. <bad thing> is here now and nobody has a reason to listen to the toddler throwing a tantrum because he can't fix the damage. Every one else is scrambling to pin the hurt on Putin, not themselves, by playing to the home crowd. That message doesn't work if you go back to the old arrangement.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd watch this show.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Torrannor posted:

The EU was already committed to a total import stop for Russian gas, which Putin mostly pre-empted when he shut down Nord Stream 2 and decreased the gas flow through the Ukrainian pipelines. I don't see what blowing up NS 1 and 2 would do for him.

As I said in my post, I think it’s about the not easily reversed harm in case he’s gone. Europe can’t quickly get that gas flow back if a euro friendly government replaces him. He wants his enemies, real or imagined, to suffer.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Torrannor posted:

False flag op to claim the US did it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Torrannor posted:

You're not approaching this with the same mindset as a crazy man who invaded his neighbor for no reason.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Now he has to secure Ukraine to make sure the EU gets their gas. It’s in their own best interest, right? Right?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TK-42-1 posted:

Now he has to secure Ukraine to make sure the EU gets their gas. It’s in their own best interest, right? Right?

And look at all the Russians there! They obviously should be part of Russia

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

My Spirit Otter posted:

What kind of ridiculous argument is this? No government is going to name names, thats the fuckin point of espionage.

That's exactly my point with respect to whether the US government had ever named the names of the individuals Snowden's leaks are supposed to have killed

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

ASAPI posted:

Otoh, leverage only matters if you're willing to actually use it

seems unlikely that they blew up the pipelines now though, if they were gonna do that why not wait until the depths of winter

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Zelensky is giving an interview at noon (~20 minutes from now): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tITZXo43vkw

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I’m assuming that blowing up undersea pipelines in a covert fashion requires a pretty non-trivial amount of resources only available to state actors.

Curious- I’m assuming they torpedoed it, but do Russian subs even have the same kind of special ops insertion capabilities we do?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

GD_American posted:

I’m assuming that blowing up undersea pipelines in a covert fashion requires a pretty non-trivial amount of resources only available to state actors.

Curious- I’m assuming they torpedoed it, but do Russian subs even have the same kind of special ops insertion capabilities we do?

Pretty sure they pioneered the idea of spec ops subs.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TK-42-1 posted:

Yeah, but they’re old, poo poo, and most like not in service anymore. The covert seas Twitter account was talking about that.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

GD_American posted:

http://www.hisutton.com/Belgorod-Class-Submarine.html

http://www.hisutton.com/Spy%20Sub%20-%20Project%2010831%20Losharik.html

http://www.hisutton.com/Project%201910%20UNIFORM%20Class.html

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yeah, but they’re old, poo poo, and most like not in service anymore. The covert seas Twitter account was talking about that.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

GD_American posted:

The Baltic in that region is like 50m deep, that's within recreational diving depth.

People going way too overboard on the Clancy secret submarine stuff, you could do this with a fishing boat and basic dive gear. The hardest part is the explosives handling but underwater demolition is still a capability held by commercial entities.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is a bit more current with his thoughts

https://twitter.com/covertshores/status/1574750260743880710?s=46&t=qQosYaog4LICOo7u24xbBw

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

TK-42-1 posted:

Wasn’t that something WWII Italy was surprisingly competent at doing?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Jarmak posted:

The Baltic in that region is like 50m deep, that's within recreational diving depth.

People going way too overboard on the Clancy secret submarine stuff, you could do this with a fishing boat and basic dive gear. The hardest part is the explosives handling but underwater demolition is still a capability held by commercial entities.

Yeah that’s why I put covert; I figured any commercial/private demolition program would have a far bigger visibility. Didn’t realize the pipeline ran that shallow.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

amazing how every single pro russia twitter account had that clip of biden queued up and ready to go within an hour of this unforseeable event, such coincidence much wow

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Turns out when you forcibly draft the guys who run the pipeline and know how it works, poo poo happens?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

HelloSailorSign posted:

Turns out when you forcibly draft the guys who run the pipeline and know how it works, poo poo happens?

nah NS1 was valved off closed at both ends and NS2 hadn't even been used yet. Taking into account the simultaneous damage to two independent lines, location of damage, and seismology data this was 100% not an accident done by someone going out of the way to make clear that it was not an accident

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 27, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

nah NS1 was valved off closed at both ends and NS2 hadn't even been used yet. Taking into account the simultaneous damage to two independent lines, location of damage, and seismology data this was 100% not an accident done by someone going out of the way to make clear that it was not an accident

About as subtle as a novichok poisoning in Salisbury?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wasn’t that something WWII Italy was surprisingly competent at doing?

Something like that, yep. They used human torpedoes and were pretty effective with them.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

What are the chances the pipeline was built with a few demo charges ready to go?

And that they haven't gone bad over the years since.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hey europe:

Take the loving hint. Build nuke.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arrath posted:

What are the chances the pipeline was built with a few demo charges ready to go?

And that they haven't gone bad over the years since.

I would say no, because if that were the case there's a near-unity probability they'd have caused an accident already.

FLASH FLASH SEA STORY WARNING

One of the persistent tribal lore stories on the CGN I served on was that there were explosive bolts that held on the upper parts of the superstructure, controlled by some means of mercury switches or gyros or something, that would cut the topworks of the ship off if the roll angle exceeded some predetermined amount, to keep the ship from capsizing. It was dramatic as hell and obviously bullshit, because any system like that would have accidentally fired at some point in the years of service, maintenance processes being what they are.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

amazing how every single pro russia twitter account had that clip of biden queued up and ready to go within an hour of this unforseeable event, such coincidence much wow

It's funny because I also see accounts going ":smug: Looks like Dark Brandon forced the EU not to backtrack. :smug:". Almost like Twitter is just a big collection of self-reinforcing echo chambers due to algorithms. :iiam:

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 27, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Madurai posted:

I would say no, because if that were the case there's a near-unity probability they'd have caused an accident already.

One of the persistent tribal lore stories on the CGN I served on was that there were explosive bolts that held on the upper parts of the superstructure, controlled by some means of mercury switches or gyros or something, that would cut the topworks of the ship off if the roll angle exceeded some predetermined amount, to keep the ship from capsizing. It was dramatic as hell and obviously bullshit, because any system like that would have accidentally fired at some point in the years of service, maintenance processes being what they are.

Lol what the gently caress? No. Just no.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Madurai posted:

I *really* want to see this implemented

and then see it go off because some sailor got bored on night watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Madurai posted:

bahahahaha would that even meaningfully change the CG