Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
The show (and the source material) definitely do a great job of showing what a crap shoot medieval child birth was. I play a lot of CKIII, and I remember reading a developer diary where they said that infant and spousal mortality rates had to be toned way down because the game would be too depressing if they used anything approaching the historical stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

ruddiger posted:

I hope he’s a literal skeleton puppet in the last episode, still being voiced by Paddy of course.

And he'll still be the only one who seems happy about his life

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

But he just said "Woo!"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Viserys gonna show up at the beginning of S2 like

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

grittyreboot posted:

And he'll still be the only one who seems happy about his life

The man just wants peace around him, and a buddy to build legos with.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Paddyo posted:

The show (and the source material) definitely do a great job of showing what a crap shoot medieval child birth was. I play a lot of CKIII, and I remember reading a developer diary where they said that infant and spousal mortality rates had to be toned way down because the game would be too depressing if they used anything approaching the historical stats.

around 1/5 of married women died in childbirth during the middle ages

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

stephenthinkpad posted:

You guys are on tean rhaenyra right now because Olivia Cooke is playing her part like a villain. She is ready to kill Rhaenyra's children to win the throne; Rhaeyra hasn't faced the difficulty question yet and hasn't conmitted to kill Alicent's children for the throne.

My problem with Rhaenyra is that she is not fit for a ruler or bother to learn any realpolitiking. Can't root for her. I am on team hot daemon.
Rhaenyra seems like a pretty good potential monarch tbh. She gets realpolitik enough to marry Laenor, and also gets it better than her father who lets a bunch of weenies on the small council push him around. Calling Daemon on his bullshit face-to-face to get back the dragon egg is exactly what nobody else had the balls to do, and a marriage between her kids and Alicent's is also a perfect way to avoid a civil war.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I think like the queens and elite of the realm of Westeros would have fared better than real life middle ages. They have the maesters and the citadel and official training in healing and uh maybe there's a link in their chain for gynecology and all that, and magic to help along with it, they have anesthetics and can apparently keep Viserys alive. Seems like a maester plot to kill off certain babby havers.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

around 1/5 of married women died in childbirth during the middle ages

Around 1 in 3 infants died too. Birth and raising young children was loving harrowing before modern medicine.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

covidstomper58 posted:

I think like the queens and elite of the realm of Westeros would have fared better than real life middle ages. They have the maesters and the citadel and official training in healing and uh maybe there's a link in their chain for gynecology and all that, and magic to help along with it, they have anesthetics and can apparently keep Viserys alive. Seems like a maester plot to kill off certain babby havers.

I hate to break it to you, but maesters suck poo poo and are just as bad as actual medieval doctors.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Have we seen Big Lego King Vis actually be a weenie or be incompetent? People keep saying that but most of his actions seem to be somewhat thoughtful and peace-oriented.

Outside of marrying Alicent and having a complete blind eye to his children and the potential civil war. Which, granted, is a doozy.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The King actually comes across to me as pretty good, compared with the first ep where it looked like he was being set up as a weak king / total idiot. He’s consistently read the overall situation and what people ought to do better than everyone else around him; it’s not his fault that they’re all paranoid lunatics. And at least during his reign, everything hasn’t gone to poo poo.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

My thoughts exactly! Seems like a p dece king.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Beefeater1980 posted:

The King actually comes across to me as pretty good, compared with the first ep where it looked like he was being set up as a weak king / total idiot. He’s consistently read the overall situation and what people ought to do better than everyone else around him; it’s not his fault that they’re all paranoid lunatics. And at least during his reign, everything hasn’t gone to poo poo.

I think they're doing a good job of portraying him as a thoughtful ruler who's very modern in many ways that the audience will appreciate, but so he also looks like a weak-willed dickhead to his subjects in a believable way without elaborate contrivances of misunderstanding.

We the viewers get to see him doing things we can understand as good ideas and then watch as it goes to poo poo without it feeling like it's V-dawg's "fault" per se.

Or that's been my read at least.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

He doesn’t really do anything. Letting Daemon just casually rule Dragonstone after his disinheritance sent a signal to people like Corlys and the Martells and the Triarchy that they could just go do whatever they wanted. He’s likable enough (and nominally controls all the dragons) that the kingdom isn’t actively falling apart and warring, but he really couldn’t have engineered a more divisive situation for his family, especially as he clings to life and lets the big players get their plans together.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 27, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Have we seen Big Lego King Vis actually be a weenie or be incompetent? People keep saying that but most of his actions seem to be somewhat thoughtful and peace-oriented.

Outside of marrying Alicent and having a complete blind eye to his children and the potential civil war. Which, granted, is a doozy.

That deer probably has some criticisms to offer

But on a more general level, he hasn't had to deal with huge crises, we're just setting up for the big succession event which necessitates, you know, him being out of the picture. Lego-building skull aside. He's a big doofus who just wants to have a nice time and doesn't like it that people keep fighting all the drat time. And I guess he's worried about that ring dagger that has words on it if you show it to fire, but he doesn't really know what it means.

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

King Viserys just ignores all his problems until the last possible minute and perhaps beyond. See: The war in the Stepstones, and Rhaenyra's illegitimate heirs, and the impending succession crisis.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Xiahou Dun posted:

I hate to break it to you, but maesters suck poo poo and are just as bad as actual medieval doctors.

No wai. Sam cured a guy of greyscale. Qyburn cured Jamie's terrible arm infection. How many kids did Maester Luwin deliver successfully? Uh Pycelle, he maybe didn't do such a good job on Jon Arryn.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

arrowdust posted:

King Viserys just ignores all his problems until the last possible minute and perhaps beyond. See: The war in the Stepstones, and Rhaenyra's illegitimate heirs, and the impending succession crisis.

lol he's awful. but this is also exactly what makes him so drat relatable

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

OctaMurk posted:

Luckily for us, goons aren't kings

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

covidstomper58 posted:

No wai. Sam cured a guy of greyscale. Qyburn cured Jamie's terrible arm infection. How many kids did Maester Luwin deliver successfully? Uh Pycelle, he maybe didn't do such a good job on Jon Arryn.

It really undermines the point when half the people listed weren't maesters and the others all competence would've had to have been off screen.

From the sample we have, becoming a maester seems to make you somehow less capable than ignorance.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

He’s the lovable failson like Robert, whose only real failures were not being able to figure out his kids were not his kids, thinking he was going to live forever, and keeping Littlefinger around.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Xiahou Dun posted:

the cure to everything is "leech 'em"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

covidstomper58 posted:

yeah but qyburn also successfully raised the dead

pretty sure most maesters aren't -that- talented

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Typo posted:

yeah but qyburn also successfully raised the dead

pretty sure most maesters aren't -that- talented

I didn't mention that because that's going above and beyond. But they cut off Viserys arm like Jamie's and he lived another 10 years. That's reasonably good doctorin! And Sam just read the manual on greyscale and cured Jorah's greyscale with nothing other than the book to guide him.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

covidstomper58 posted:

I didn't mention that because that's going above and beyond. But they cut off Viserys arm like Jamie's and he lived another 10 years. That's reasonably good doctorin! And Sam just read the manual on greyscale and cured Jorah's greyscale with nothing other than the book to guide him.

The book that the maesters did everything they could to prevent him from using to do the action they tried to stop him from doing.

They're an active hinderance.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Xiahou Dun posted:

The book that the maesters did everything they could to prevent him from using to do the action they tried to stop him from doing.

The maesters are all highly skilled, better than modern doctors, but they also have designs beyond the ken of mortal men. They are the Bene Gesserit of Westeros, deliberately saving or dooming rulers according to a grand design.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
unless i missed something, i'm pretty sure we didn't see cole wearing a white cloak at all this ep. wonder what that's about.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The maesters are all highly skilled, better than modern doctors, but they also have designs beyond the ken of mortal men. They are the Bene Gesserit of Westeros, deliberately saving or dooming rulers according to a grand design.

Nah, they're totally doing a grander version of saying, "I meant to do that." I never thought the secret maester conspiracy theory held water, even if it's interesting, because maesters are universally shown as incompetent when they actually have to do something.

It's all the fearsomely strong cider, I tell ya.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Nah, they're totally doing a grander version of saying, "I meant to do that." I never thought the secret maester conspiracy theory held water, even if it's interesting, because maesters are universally shown as incompetent when they actually have to do something.

It's all the fearsomely strong cider, I tell ya.

To be fair, the BENE GESSERIT WITCHES cocked it all up, too

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Xiahou Dun posted:

Barbrey Dustin alt account spotted.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

deoju posted:

Barbrey Dustin alt account spotted.

Brandon loved me, drat it!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

In the ASOIAF books most maesters were portrayed pretty competent, ya got Aemon Luwin Cressen, and even with uhh poo poo the other two guys, the Hightower and zombie man, they’re pretty wise if shady. Pycelle was a goof but he was a deep Targaryen stooge and was supposed to stand out as the exception and even then there’s arguable wisdom in the long con

from what I’ve seen of fire and blood and world of ice and fire maesters are used as vehicles to justify conveying imperfect information, which isn’t great for them but understandable as a storytelling device.

But in HOTD and most of GOT they’ve mostly just bumbled into great halls like Jimmy from King of the Hill and belched “DAHHHH SORRY BOSS I TRIED TO LEECH DA BABY OUT BUT IT GOT STUCK AND WE HADDA DO A MISOGYNY”

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 27, 2022

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That DICK! posted:

In the ASOIAF books most maesters were portrayed pretty competent, ya got Aemon Luwin Cressen, and even with uhh poo poo the other two guys, the Hightower and zombie man, they’re pretty wise if shady. Pycelle was a goof but he was a deep Targaryen stooge and was supposed to stand out as the exception and even then there’s arguable wisdom in the long con

from what I’ve seen of fire and blood and world of ice and fire maesters are used as vehicles to justify conveying imperfect information, which isn’t great for them but understandable as a storytelling device.

But in HOTD and most of GOT they’ve mostly just bumbled into great halls like Jimmy from King of the Hill and belched “DAHHHH SORRY BOSS I TRIED TO LEECH DA BABY OUT BUT IT GOT STUCK AND WE HADDA DO A MISOGYNY”
What are you talking about, the maester in HOTD had Plan B. In the medieval ages! The man single-handedly prevented Criston Cole from becoming the next king of Westeros.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Vegetable posted:

What are you talking about, the maester in HOTD had Plan B. In the medieval ages! The man single-handedly prevented Criston Cole from becoming the next king of Westeros.

The Romans had an herbal abortifacient that was so effective they picked it to extinction

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love the look on the Queen's face at the end of the episode, the "holy poo poo turns out the creepy bug dude IS a giant creepy insect man after all!" reaction.... and yet you know she's also absolutely going to keep using him. I liked that when she was bitching about how Otto at least had the balls to tell the King lovely news, and Creepy Bug Dude told her that she couldn't deny Otto wouldn't be impartial in that situation either, she flat out admitted,"Yeah... but he'd be partial TO ME!" - I wonder if Cole has grasped in the intervening years that for all her talk about the good and the decent triumphing in the end, what she explicitly means is HER triumphing, that only HER winning would be "good and decent"?

Also dig that - so far - Aegon doesn't seem to have any particular ambition to be the King, and - jerking off in the window notwithstanding - he just seems like a dude happy to have all the privilege and none of the responsibility, and he wasn't remotely troubled about his younger nephew becoming the King and seemed to get on with him just fine until the fight was actually forced on them.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 27, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like that Aegon isn't being portrayed as a horrible Joffrey type or anything. He's just a kid who doesn't know anything but privelege. He seems like he'd be a likable character in the right circumstances.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Roman Reigns posted:

Alicent "When your father dies, Rhaenyra will take the throne!"

Aegon II "Okay?"

Alicent "That means her children will be her heirs!"

Aegon II "Okay?"

Alicent "That means they'll get the throne before you and your brothers do!"

Aegon II "O...kay?"

Alicent "SHE'S GOING TO KILL THE poo poo OUT OF YOU"

Aegon II :stare: "okay"

I dunno, I liked this scene and thought it was a reasonable fear. He's still a threat to Rhaenyra's matrilineal succession even if all he wants to do is drip semen on the heads of any unfortunate passersby, because despite whatever proclamation Viserys made back when he was worried he wouldn't have a male child, everyone still expects Viserys's firstborn son to become the next king. Even if he doesn't personally have any interest in it, Rhaenyra will recognize him as a threat regardless, and there's always the possibility of someone more cunning using him as a figurehead to destabilize their reign. It was probably a good call to get her doofus son to realize what a potentially dangerous position he'll be in.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

stev posted:

I like that Aegon isn't being portrayed as a horrible Joffrey type or anything. He's just a kid who doesn't know anything but privelege. He seems like he'd be a likable character in the right circumstances.

I like that I can easily believe the actor portraying Aegon is an inbred royal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The casting for alicent is impressive because i didnt even notice the new actress post time skip