Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

It'll be fitting if it hits us back after a few laps around the solar system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

A.o.D. posted:

With respect to the reference, no, Sir Stephen Hawking, PhD is.

My man have you met Feynman?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

https://twitter.com/aweissmann_/status/1574534293187186702?s=46&t=Fh_ugephz1J_nvBlitomjw

Yes, I too walk way with empty classified folders on top of god knows what else.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1574539270987173903

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgkD1scIkKw

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

My man have you met Feynman?

Only virtually.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/fpwellman/status/1574567070854946831?s=46&t=AqzO0zVjM6K8wlIvU_JqKg

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/LivFaustDieJung/status/1574577633685282834?s=20&t=iCF_1NazxInoz9OmAPHqOQ

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

*counts pins*

:stonk: people who don't want to go to forever jail I guess

also first ground telescope footage of the DART impact is out, can't wait to see what Hubble got.

https://twitter.com/fallingstarIfA/status/1574583529731670021

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Ian seems like it's gonna be slow inland and just dump tons of water too so if the surge and wind dont wreck things, the massive inshore flooding will.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

loving hell I go to the wrong milsurp outlets.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Somebody call up 3/6 and let them know we found those missing rifles

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

shame on an IGA posted:

*counts pins*

:stonk: people who don't want to go to forever jail I guess

Listen, you just take a clue from the Irish and dig a good hole at grandpa's farm. Cosmoline and nice modern crates.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I can’t zoom the pic in too closely but it looks to be the same thing I used about half a lifetime ago, the M16A2 with safe/semi/burst selector.

Am I right, are these actual military weapons? LMAO, how in the world does something like this even happen.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

"We don't have a good understanding of the physics of this"

*successfully pulls off something akin to the 'Nique/Jordan dunk contest*

"We have a better understanding of the physics of how this works"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1574705538729971713?s=20&t=tOr4pa67j2rL7L5hiMJPDw

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MrMojok posted:

I can’t zoom the pic in too closely but it looks to be the same thing I used about half a lifetime ago, the M16A2 with safe/semi/burst selector.

Am I right, are these actual military weapons? LMAO, how in the world does something like this even happen.

I'm trying to think of how many lazy/idiotic people had to be involved, from the unit to DLA Disposition Services on a receipt-in-place, and hoo boy there are a lot of people that had to have touched that paperwork.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

I'm trying to think of how many lazy/idiotic people had to be involved, from the unit to DLA Disposition Services on a receipt-in-place, and hoo boy there are a lot of people that had to have touched that paperwork.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why no one who handled those cases thought to themselves "Why are these cases so much heavier than the other ones?"

Unless they were never ever moved by hand during the chain of custody leading up to their surplusing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
94’s cubs are clear favorites of mine and favorites to win.

https://explore.org/meet-the-bears-fat-bear-junior

https://twitter.com/Yami_sha/status/1573653944387133442

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Fat Bear Week is just the best.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Fat Bear Week is just the best.

It brings me joy and Holly is my girl.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A.o.D. posted:

I'm a bit puzzled as to why no one who handled those cases thought to themselves "Why are these cases so much heavier than the other ones?"

Unless they were never ever moved by hand during the chain of custody leading up to their surplusing.

They ordered them online and were delivered to them.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They ordered them online and were delivered to them.

I'm talking about the entire chain of custody, not just the end recipients. Those cases were at least 48 pounds heavier than they should have been.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

A.o.D. posted:

the scary answer is that they weren't heavier than the others

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
there's so many steps of failure in accounting for those weapons involved before those even got to milsurp that it's mind boggling, even for the military, and also assuming the end buyers were never in the service because who amongst us would have M16s and also nobody would know we have them

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

there's so many steps of failure in accounting for those weapons involved before those even got to milsurp that it's mind boggling, even for the military, and also assuming the end buyers were never in the service because who amongst us would have M16s and also nobody would know we have them
Not a vet so maybe I have too much trust in the system, but I'd be a bit freaked out because I'd assume everything has receipts somewhere and some accountant will eventually catch up to it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

stealie72 posted:

Not a vet so maybe I have too much trust in the system, but I'd be a bit freaked out because I'd assume everything has receipts somewhere and some accountant will eventually catch up to it.

We already know exactly where they came from. 3/6 Marines. They've been missing for a bit. I want to know how the breakdown happened.

You also have much greater faith in the system than anyone who has been in it. Even with modern tracking and safeguards, someone familiar with the system can still make things disappear. It isn't like the old days of paper only, where dudes would steal rocket launchers, but it can still be done. That's using malice as the only factor, not institutional retardation and individual idiocy.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

bulletsponge13 posted:

We already know exactly where they came from. 3/6 Marines. They've been missing for a bit. I want to know how the breakdown happened.

Just for the record I was joking about 3/6 earlier but if these did actually come from them then holy lol

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

stealie72 posted:

Hahahahahahaha.

Noooooooope.

poo poo gets written off after the investigation. If there even is one. And that investigation is handled at the lowest level. A loving company commander (O-3) could be the final big swinging dick on the investigation. Realistically at most it’d be a battalion commander (O-5).

I won’t say who, or what, but most of us here know of someone or have some poo poo from the military that uh, ain’t kosher.

The key is to not tell anyone who might tell someone else. So only your most trusted confidants. Preferably ones who have a vested interest in you not telling anyone else stuff about them.

I mean real opsec is nobody but you knows. But I’m being realistic here.

An example I’ll share a story that has been modified to not be true factually, but true in the sense of, it’s generally what happened.

Snuffy Junior wants some flashbangs. Now flash bangs are an NFA item, and they’re not something you are allowed to just take, even if you had the proper NFA paperwork and background checks. So Snuffy Jr., working with Snuffy Senior at the armory, hatches a plan to get a small number of flash bangs periodically from Snuffy Senior that nobody is gonna miss and are going to be falsely accounted for as expended in training, or otherwise accounted for being gone. Now only Snuffy Junior and Senior know about Snuffy Jr’s flash bangs.

This arrangement works for a while. The Snuffy’s are happy. It’s now time for Snuffy Jr to leave the military. That’s the end of his flash bang acquisition days, but he’s got a few dozen already so he’s set.

A year passes. Snuffy is studying how to repair Harleys at their technical school, using his actual loving GI bill benefits on the loving school. He’s living in a poo poo part of town, in a poo poo kinda town house. He’s gotta park his Dodge Charger he’s still paying 23.9% APR on, on the street.

It gets broken into once, bye bye console Glock and a bunch of tools for school.

A week goes by.

It gets broken into again, bye bye window this time, and bye bye speakers and other aftermarket poo poo you can sell at a pawn shop.

Snuffy Jr just can’t loving stand this. It’s loving driving him insane. His NTC PTSD is keeping him up all hours of the mid afternoon and he’s literally shaking with rage. He hatches a plan.

He rigs up the fixed challenger to give the next would be thief, the scare of their life. He sets it up where a thief can get into the vehicle, but when he opens the door it starts Snuffy’s Rube-Goldberg machine that will set off two nine bangers about 5-6 seconds after the door is opened.

It works.

Snuffy Jr. is now in no poo poo federal prison.

Snuffy Senior? He’s a CW3 now. It’s easier to impeach and convict a sitting president than it is to get the goods on a CW3 mafioso.. even if Junior sings. But Junior hasn’t. I suspect because Junior knows that Senior knows that Junior has a lot more than just those flash bangs. The feds don’t know about the other stuff.

Snuffy gets out of federal prison, nothing to his name (on paper) and 0 prospects for employment. Fast forward about 6 months. He’s living in a very nice house he bought in Texas driving a lifted RAM 2500 Diesel, and he works at a Harley dealership in town making $12.00 an hour.

How did Snuffy Junior come into all that money on $12.00 an hour? Because Junior learned to shut the gently caress up and not do stupid poo poo like use illegal things he owned, while he was in federal custody. He learned how to be more like Snuffy Senior, and now he’s doing well.

Until he fucks up again. Snuffy Junior always fucks up again.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I though 3/6 lost M4’s with optics..

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

ssgt or gunny in supply "took them to DRMO"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What is 3/6, and why does the thought of whatever the answer is fill me with fear?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Leave posted:

What is 3/6, and why does the thought of whatever the answer is fill me with fear?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Battalion,_6th_Marines

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

You also have much greater faith in the system than anyone who has been in it.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Hahahahahahaha.

Noooooooope.
Whelp, I learned some things today.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Leave posted:

Backstory:
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/12/08/year-later-ncis-still-investigating-case-of-missing-marine-corps-rifles.html

It's a lol for me because I still have nightmares where I think I lost my rifle lmao

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

We had schemers in middle school plan to steal laptops and pawn them. They forgot pawn shops wishing to stay in business don’t touch laptops that have school info engraved on them that children have brought in.

When it was announced by a teacher in a class that the laptops were missing one of the suspects yelled “no they aren’t!” which made for an easy investigation, especially as the suspects’ claim of finding them “under a trash can” didn’t get far.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

stealie72 posted:

Whelp, I learned some things today.

With your username I can’t believe you didn’t know this!

What forum do you mod anyway? I don’t know how to figure that out on this new version of awful app.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CainFortea posted:

ssgt or gunny in supply "took them to DRMO"

I like the Snuffy Junior explanation, but I'm thinking it was DLA-DS / DRMO receipt in place.

DLA-DS was too busy/didn't want to spend the money to ship it to a central location, so it went in the system as "empty gun case". No unit claimed it, so some rando milsurp place bought it. The unit shipped the cases to the milsurp place and didn't care about the weight because shipping/receiving got the proper paperwork and never bothered to open them.

Then the milsurp place was lazy and/or just kept the cases in some warehouse somewhere and probably didn't know the proper weight. Or some employee loading up the truck went "huh, that's weird" but was told not to open anything because "these are sold, ship them".

It's like the empty gun cases were randos with hard hats, high-vis jackets, and clipboards.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

With your username I can’t believe you didn’t know this!

What forum do you mod anyway? I don’t know how to figure that out on this new version of awful app.
TFR, the other forum that gets accused of being full of killers.

Maybe if follows that I get nervous around unlawful possession of things with serial numbers on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Chances are this was bought as a pallet lot by a surplus dealer, who never even opened the cases, just yanked them off the pallet.

Question is- how many other cases were full?

I don't know they are the 3/6 gats, but I'm seeing RUMINT supporting it in a bunch of places.

More military shenanigans- I've been in arms rooms when extra guns showed up. There was debate on what to do, because an extra gun creates more problems and paperwork than a missing one.
Knew a guy who stole a claymore to kill a deer.
In the 70s and 80s, a gently caress ton of weapons and munitions went 'missing' only to be found in militias and gangs.
Was just in the last year or so, some people bought an abandoned storage unit- filled with the Armageddon arms room of a VN Special Forces Weapons Sergeant. A couple live LAW tubes, handful of assault rifles, a few BARs, ammo, C4, and detonators.