Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

Knew a guy who stole a claymore to kill a deer.

What like a specific deer or...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

One of my BM3's took a bunch of pyro by pretending to shoot it off for training then he got caught because he fired it off at his house for a birthday party, where he invited a bunch of people from the unit. He didn't get in trouble because everyone liked him though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The original tweet is full of people is full of people joking about how they should've kept it like they just won a lottery ticket and I'm wondering if you really wanted to shoot a M16 couldn't you have enlisted anytime in the last I dunno, 50 years

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Defenestrategy posted:

Can't stand that bastard eating my petunias.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Eej posted:

The original tweet is full of people is full of people joking about how they should've kept it like they just won a lottery ticket and I'm wondering if you really wanted to shoot a M16 couldn't you have enlisted anytime in the last I dunno, 50 years

This isn't the worst recruiting pitch but it's on the list

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Eej posted:

You could just spend $600 and get an AR.

Burst fire is not worth enlisting.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Eej posted:

The liability from keeping it is SO huge that I wouldn't be fuckin near that without a 10 foot pole and a lawyer. It's also ridiculous in that if you have some kind of insane civil war/zombie apocalypses scenario where you NEED a burst or auto m16/m4 it's not a difficult thing to do to a semi-auto one once there are no laws.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You could just spend $600 and get an AR.

Burst fire is not worth enlisting.

Exactly. The giggleswitch is not worth it

Ok it's worth it sometimes nothing made me giggle like a 12 year old than going rock'n'roll magdumping a C7 other than hip-firing a belt of 7.62 out of the C6.

Instructors called it "getting the Rambo out".

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Eej posted:

I enlisted in 2003. Did 3 tours. Handled an M16A2 once in my entire career.

It's like they won a 2$ scratch off. Sure, you won the lottery, but really, you just created an errand.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Burst mode never made me giggle.

The first time feeling vibrations in the ground from the round impacting 1k away while sitting behind an M2 gave me the giggles.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
So what's keeping some rear end in a top hat from exploiting gaps in the system to stock up their Christofascist militia's armory beyond poor OpSec leading to the Feds coming down on them?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Nothing. Thats already what those fucks do, and unless there is overwhelming evidence the FBI doesn't have enough manpower or fucks given to stop them.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Nothing. Thats already what those fucks do, and unless there is overwhelming evidence the FBI doesn't have enough manpower or fucks given to stop them.

I mean, most of them are chalk full of FBI people already. The don't want to go after their buddies.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
youre talking about the most mismanaged organization in the history of man, and it also has virtually unlimited money. there is absolutely no telling what is missing.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bulletsponge13 posted:

Was just in the last year or so, some people bought an abandoned storage unit- filled with the Armageddon arms room of a VN Special Forces Weapons Sergeant. A couple live LAW tubes, handful of assault rifles, a few BARs, ammo, C4, and detonators.

You know that guy was fun at parties.

Cugel the Clever posted:

So what's keeping some rear end in a top hat from exploiting gaps in the system to stock up their Christofascist militia's armory beyond poor OpSec leading to the Feds coming down on them?

It’s already happened. A few years ago some Nazi fucks place had or he had acquired live grenades.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Nothing.
Which is why so many militias and White Nationalist arsenals were made up of so much stolen munitions back in the 80s and 90s.

E- they were also caught with C4, rocket launchers, hand and launched grenades, and multiple M60s

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bulletsponge13 posted:

Nothing.
Which is why so many militias and White Nationalist arsenals were made up of so much stolen munitions back in the 80s and 90s.

E- they were also caught with C4, rocket launchers, hand and launched grenades, and multiple M60s

It’s why I think Utah got rid of its state defense force and is what will happen with the Florida one. DeSantis is just going to funnel NFA items to his lunatic supporters.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

Any deer.
He just wanted to use it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

facialimpediment posted:

I like the Snuffy Junior explanation, but I'm thinking it was DLA-DS / DRMO receipt in place.

DLA-DS was too busy/didn't want to spend the money to ship it to a central location, so it went in the system as "empty gun case". No unit claimed it, so some rando milsurp place bought it. The unit shipped the cases to the milsurp place and didn't care about the weight because shipping/receiving got the proper paperwork and never bothered to open them.

Then the milsurp place was lazy and/or just kept the cases in some warehouse somewhere and probably didn't know the proper weight. Or some employee loading up the truck went "huh, that's weird" but was told not to open anything because "these are sold, ship them".

It's like the empty gun cases were randos with hard hats, high-vis jackets, and clipboards.

Honestly, if I were the recipient, I'd check the shipping receipt. If the weight was accurate to a case filled with A2's, I'd report it because there's no way I'd want to risk that bag of hammers coming down on my head. If it was just the weight of an empty container...well then, nothing to see here!

bulletsponge13 posted:

Any deer.
Reminds me of a thing that happened in DC a few years ago. Some guy from West Virginia went into Rock Creek Park and shot a dear with a Glock 40 loaded with hollow points. Park police and DC PD show up and find dumb dumb dragging a dear out of the woods to his truck at like 7:45 PM. So he gets arrested and then my wife who was working for the DC animal shelter at the time, gets to do a necropsy and extract what's left of the bullet for evidence. Guy ended up pleading out and gets a huge fine and a suspended sentence, but talk about a stupid idea.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 27, 2022

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
3/6 is slightly unnerving, very glad I decided to ask about that.

And you know what, if I had the opportunity to take a deer out with a claymore, I can't say I wouldn't be tempted.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There are inbred mule deer that will walk up to you here. You could take one down with a snub nosed .22 short in one of the town parks here. Animal control would probably mind. They're weirdly proud of those deer because they somehow don't get hit by cars.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

You can steal serialized gear from an armory, but its going to eventually get audited by a higher echelon IE people from regiment or division.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 27, 2022

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

PookBear posted:

You can steal serialized gear from an armory, but its going to eventually get audited by a higher echelon IE people from regiment or division.

In an ideal world, yes.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Defenestrategy posted:

A deer John.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

bulletsponge13 posted:

In an ideal world, yes.

In the real world "ugh, how about we save ourselves the assache and mark it here. Let the next guy deal with the mess"

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cross-posting from the Civ Thread: Hugh Jackman is coming back for Deadpool 3.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PookBear posted:

Dude, you can steal anything.

Short of nukes.

If you wanted to steal nukes you’d need a lot of co-conspirators, and they happen to be the people charged with making sure that poo poo doesn’t happen.

It works so well that when they hosed up, didn’t follow regs and procedures, the motherfuckers took live stealth thermonuclear cruise missiles outta their storage, and loaded them bitches on a B-52 headed across the country.

What loving scares me isn’t U.S. nuclear security, though.

How many Blyat’s are hiding in Russia’s nuclear weapons enterprise? That poo poo keeps me up at night.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Eason the Fifth posted:

It's a lol for me because I still have nightmares where I think I lost my rifle lmao

I’ve been out of the Marine Corps for almost 25 years and still to this day, when I’m having a lot of stress in my life, great work stress or personal life stress, sometimes I will have these dreams.

They are a subconscious reaction to stress, and in these dreams I’m in the Marines again, and the two most common themes are:

a) I’ve lost my rifle, and I’m in deep poo poo, or

b) I’m traveling to get to my unit, and I’m about to miss a movement. Often times in these dreams I’m traveling a long distance on a train, for some drat reason, to get to Pendleton or Lejeune or some fever-dream semblance of a base.

But the train is running late, I’m almost certainly going to miss the unit movement, and I’m in deep poo poo.

I very rarely have nightmares or even unpleasant dreams anymore, but when I have these dreams, I tend to just bolt awake soaked in sweat.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Gas prices are crazy right folks. Anyway let me idle this helicopter.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

Knew a guy who stole a claymore to kill a deer.

Holy poo poo. Talk about overkill, and spoiling the meat.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Short of nukes.

If you wanted to steal nukes you’d need a lot of co-conspirators, and they happen to be the people charged with making sure that poo poo doesn’t happen.

It works so well that when they hosed up, didn’t follow regs and procedures, the motherfuckers took live stealth thermonuclear cruise missiles outta their storage, and loaded them bitches on a B-52 headed across the country.

How many Blyat’s are hiding in Russia’s nuclear weapons enterprise? That poo poo keeps me up at night.

ooo ooo I found a book about this from the 90s in the dollar bin one time

https://www.amazon.com/One-Point-Safe-Andrew-Cockburn/dp/0751523747

here's a more recent interview with one of their major sources

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/25751654.2020.1732517

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 27, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sacrist65 posted:

Gas prices are crazy right folks. Anyway let me idle this helicopter.

Also those guides feed and help those hogs procreate so they have hunts to sell in the future.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

JFC Margie, are you going to rig up loudspeakers and play Wagner too

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MrMojok posted:

I’ve been out of the Marine Corps for almost 25 years and still to this day, when I’m having a lot of stress in my life, great work stress or personal life stress, sometimes I will have these dreams.

They are a subconscious reaction to stress, and in these dreams I’m in the Marines again, and the two most common themes are:

a) I’ve lost my rifle, and I’m in deep poo poo, or

b) I’m traveling to get to my unit, and I’m about to miss a movement. Often times in these dreams I’m traveling a long distance on a train, for some drat reason, to get to Pendleton or Lejeune or some fever-dream semblance of a base.

But the train is running late, I’m almost certainly going to miss the unit movement, and I’m in deep poo poo.

I very rarely have nightmares or even unpleasant dreams anymore, but when I have these dreams, I tend to just bolt awake soaked in sweat.

About the only dreams I can ever remember these days are nightmares about lining up for morning formation and realizing that somehow my hair is shaggy and way out of regs. I've been out for 13 years and I still keep it pretty short so it's pretty funny that this is how anxiety dreams manifest.

(I'm way too bald to not look ridiculous with longer hair.)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Short of nukes.

The thing that is keeping me together every time Putin threatens canned sunshine is the vague possibility that, based on all of Russia's conventional forces' equipment, three quarters of their warheads are so far past their best-before date that the explosive lenses won't lens explosively.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MrMojok posted:

I legit had the inverse of this where they hosed up and I knew I wasn't supposed to be there.

I had had several dreams like that before where I was unshaved or just smoked pot before formation or something, but this time I just poo poo-bagged it, and decided to bail without comment the first bit of friction I encountered.

Highly recommend becoming the master poo poo bag your next military stress dream. I loving laughed so hard at all the poo poo breaking and screaming and yelling but they just couldn't touch me it was crazy.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 27, 2022

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

bulletsponge13 posted:

Any deer.

Good lord, just put a brush guard on a Ford Ranger and drive around NW Pennsylvania for 12 hours.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Haha I definitely have the shaggy hair/missing movement dreams too.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's been a long time since I've had an Army dream. Most of mine were surprise PT tests and for some reason I could only knock out 3 push ups and run no faster than a slow shuffle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

In some of my USMC stress dreams I am also inexplicably my current age (early 50s) rather than a kid, which makes it infinitely worse