Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
So apparently the coins expiring is a japanese law thing? I guess it happens in Apex too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMpkxA-0dxg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

odd law but ok sure

weird that they scrubbed it from most interfaces mentioning it, i wonder if it doesn't apply to non-japan regions?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Update. Wish we had more info on the specifics, but it sounds OK. https://gundamevolution.com/en/news/86

Improvement of Ranked Matches/Rating System

The mouse acceleration function applied in the game will be turned off.

The resolution for the screen error that turns white and freezes immediately after the end of matching.

Optimization of words that are prohibited in chat.

And everyone gets 10*Supply Pod Tickets

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Kibner posted:

Update. Wish we had more info on the specifics, but it sounds OK. https://gundamevolution.com/en/news/86

Improvement of Ranked Matches/Rating System

The mouse acceleration function applied in the game will be turned off.

The resolution for the screen error that turns white and freezes immediately after the end of matching.

Optimization of words that are prohibited in chat.

And everyone gets 10*Supply Pod Tickets

according to the jp twitter I think it's a ranked reset as well.

yay supply pod tix

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this is always a good feeling, playing asshimar rules

10 more supply pods will make getting that red char's zaku skin more feasible. i'm trying to horde all the green i can so i can decide if i'm enough of a sucker to start shelling out cash for it if the game isn't dead in a month

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Getting that text filter will be nice, but I'll miss the constant **** and people completely confused in the chat

Also, holy poo poo the DOM loving rules

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Does anyone have any idea how to use the Mahiroo's (deep breath) Toroidal Shield With Mega Particle Cannon?

Between the weird locked-to-terrain-gridpoints targeting, delayed blast, and freezing oneself in place while casting, it really just seems like a "please kill me" button.

Unless you're trying to catch someone out while they chase you around a corner. That's about the only case I can imagine using it. And even then the damage is awful.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I've found a couple uses for it:

• in combination with the visor, use it to stop people rounding a blind corner
  • if you see someone scrambling for a health pack, drop it on the health pack
  • if you hit another player with the beam (achievable by aiming slightly behind their feet), the stun starts then instead of when the explosion goes off, so you can use it to interrupt a flanker that's gotten in your face or stop someone from arming/disarming a megacharge

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 27, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Good soup! posted:

Getting that text filter will be nice, but I'll miss the constant **** and people completely confused in the chat

Also, holy poo poo the DOM loving rules

i'll miss people getting around it by typing S U C K A D I C K

dom's damage feels low when i run the numbers on it in the training ground but fairly high when i actually use the dom, it's weird. the zaku grenade apparently does the same amount of damage as a dom rocket, which also seems off.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Zomborgon posted:

Does anyone have any idea how to use the Mahiroo's (deep breath) Toroidal Shield With Mega Particle Cannon?

Between the weird locked-to-terrain-gridpoints targeting, delayed blast, and freezing oneself in place while casting, it really just seems like a "please kill me" button.

Unless you're trying to catch someone out while they chase you around a corner. That's about the only case I can imagine using it. And even then the damage is awful.

A few things. First, make sure before you use it that your gun is reloaded. Second, use your radar to find out where enemies are at. Then, you can use the TSwMPC from out of sight of your opponent and either hit them with it or have them move away so that you can get in place to land a bunch of nades.

It is sometimes also useful if you know where a Barbatos is about to land close to an ally and you plant it so that it hits him during his own stun so that he stays stunned for even longer and can't follow up or jump out and you pelt him with nades and allow your teammate to escape.

Similarly, you can also hit a Zaku Melee who is doing his invulnerable ability so that it hits him right after he finishes, allowing you and teammates to quickly kill him before he gets any benefit from his charge.

You don't use it for damage, but for the stun to catch people around corners that might not know you are there or to otherwise further punish suits that are immobilized for whatever reason.

In general, you should avoid directly looking at enemies as Mahiroo. Bounce your poo poo off walls and ceilings. Use the kick to create space when someone charges you.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

BisbyWorl posted:

Gunpla skins where all the markings are clearly stickers and you can see nubs across the body.

This would rule

Also, are you guys who are having a lot of trouble with snipers playing ranked or something? I've only played casual so far but I've yet to encounter a sniper who felt so oppressive that I couldn't either punish them as Zaku or Asshimar or bruteforce their sightline with a shield MS, even if they hit their shots reliably.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I haven't touched ranked in case I rate out of being able to play casual with friends

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

My best way to counter snipers is to just hook stab them with Roadhog Marasai, never gets old dragging them out of their nests.

RE: ranked, not been able to do a single placement on the EU servers, sat in queue 30+ mins the other day. Hopefully upcoming patch fixes that.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I did exactly 3 ranked placement matches before finding out that ranked will make you unable to play with friends, then I never did another

Sucks cause I'd kinda like to play ranked

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Also I think Gundam is way too fast-paced for a charge mechanic like TF2 Sniper or Widow to work well for the GM Sniper. They probably just need to add 250-500ms delay when you scope in so that right clicking doesn't instantly give you zoom and 100% accuracy.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think if they removed headshots and also unicorn's aoe healing entirely this would be a better game, and the sniper would be fine

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The pilots aren’t usually in the head if you think about it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i would accept the turn a getting crit when hit by a crotch shot

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ninjewtsu posted:

i think if they removed headshots and also unicorn's aoe healing entirely this would be a better game, and the sniper would be fine

Even so,

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ninjewtsu posted:

If they removed headshots it would take either a Barbatos or a direct colony drop to kill a Sazabi.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
drat I have a leaver penalty cause of a crash.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

or like, a person behind it. asshimar's fire grenade and i believe a few other ability also just ignore the shield, and there's stuns around that aren't the barbatos. the rx-78 is pretty good at this!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

No more headshots makes backstabbing it less likely to kill it before it can react and raise shield, and it also makes it harder to kill in the window of an RX-78 stun before it can recover and either scoot around a corner or wake up and counter hatchet you. The reason backstabbing it works so well is that you can burst it before it can react, and without headshots the TTK on everyone but melee suits and Mahiroo goes up by an enormous amount. Even Dom likes headshotting with the laser pointer.

This also discounts it maybe having teammates or a healer present. No more headshots also buffs any healing suits they might add in the process. Even if you delete Unicorn, the Methuss still goes up in power a lot because now slow, steady healing is a whole lot more powerful than it was.

I'm not exactly super pleased with the current state of sniper either, but I'd also rather they keep the TTK in the game fast and snappy because I really, really don't want to see an overwatch GOATS situation where every team stacks healers and tanks and slogs into each other doing nothing for the whole match until ults are up. I think I'd rather be frustrated sometimes than bored all the time.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

see my specific thinking is the healing in this game is so much weaker than in overwatch that without headshots the TTK would still be fine, you don't need them to burst through someone getting healed by methuss - the methus tether heal sucks rear end compared to any actual dps from a real weapon. gundam evolution sans headshots would probably play out more similarly to tf2 (discounting the sniper) than anything, as that game also does not have headshots (except for the sniper) and the heavy's hp is more than double the scout's. and unlike tf2 there's a lot more sustained fire weapons over longer ranges so focus fire is a lot easier to do when sazabi waddles out with its shield up

unicorn's heal kinda sucks too but since it gets to effect the whole team at once it plays out a little differently than the methuss' or the more limited heals other robots get

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 27, 2022

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think they should get rid of ults, personally. I am not being ironic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think they should keep ults but make even more of the ults based on dramatic and sad moments from the show like Guntank's

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i do not feel strongly one way or the other on ults i think

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

One purpose behind ults is to give a reason to stick with a given unit for a while, beyond simple familiarity, so that each team has some idea of what they're up against from moment to moment.

The idea is that without that, you're likely to end up with a rapid cycle of counter-picking.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

They also provide an important way to break stalemates between two evenly matched teams and shake up a stagnant game flow in a match, and also provide potentially interesting design spaces for suits, like with how Exia's Trans Am functions.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the most important thing about ults to me is that they give a team in a losing position a chance to reverse the momentum of the match - they can save ults for one big push and be the ones holding the point. the winning team can also use their ults to counter this/do their own counterpush immediately after, but that's more difficult for them to do while also maintaining a winning position (as they're presumably using ults to sustain that position).

so removing ults removes that turnaround mechanic, but also gives the team in a winning position less tools to hold it. idk, i think it's ultimately (har) fine but i wouldn't miss it.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

theyre also cool as hell

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I think the game also does a good job with most of its ults. Stuff like Moonlight Butterfly or Trans-Am are extremely powerful but they don't provide real damage resistance for the person using it, so you can shoot them to death and stuff their ult and potentially gain a huge match momentum swing. Super Napalm kicks rear end but if you just throw it into a room with 5 people they're just going to shoot it and it does nothing.

Like all of them are really powerful game swingers to varying degrees but for most of them you have to deploy them with a semblance of brain cell usage, which is interesting and good.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this is also true. not sure why the unicorn doesn't have NT-D as its ult but if they needed to give it a gatling gun for whatever reason the beam magnum being its ult is pretty funny i must admit

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ninjewtsu posted:

this is also true. not sure why the unicorn doesn't have NT-D as its ult but if they needed to give it a gatling gun for whatever reason the beam magnum being its ult is pretty funny i must admit

My initial guess is that they already have HADES as a self-buff ult. Logically, NT-D would be the same on paper. They'd both be self-buffing high performance boosts.

Turning the beam magnum into an ult wasn't a bad idea actually. Kinda thinking outside the box. It's the unicorn's standard weapon but in the anime it's also like super busted and blows everything up.

Also maybe later down the line they want to make unicorn mode a separate unit like Zaku II ranged vs melee lol (I hope not, I want greater suit diversity)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Revitalized posted:

Turning the beam magnum into an ult wasn't a bad idea actually. Kinda thinking outside the box. It's the unicorn's standard weapon but in the anime it's also like super busted and blows everything up.

I kind of feel like it needs a damage boost but that's entirely because of the bolded instead of anything gameplay related

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Revitalized posted:

My initial guess is that they already have HADES as a self-buff ult. Logically, NT-D would be the same on paper. They'd both be self-buffing high performance boosts.

i mean, the zaku ult and the asshimar ult are right there lol

dom is basically a goofy variant on the same thing

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Making the magnum the ult was a complete genius move specifically because it lets you make it a devastating unbalanced doom cannon that pierces suits and hits in an AoE.

To make it a suit's normal weapon you'd need to either make it a boring basic beam rifle or you'd need to make it a sniper rifle, and I'm sure no one wants another sniper rifle.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I also think it should have that weird viper strike attack it does on Neo Zeong too though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ninjewtsu posted:

i mean, the zaku ult and the asshimar ult are right there lol

dom is basically a goofy variant on the same thing

Yeah but they aren't like, freedom-to-do-whatever ults. They're still a specific attack action that is spent immediately. Pale Rider goes super saiyan but you still play it like a normal suit... just faster.

RBA Starblade posted:

I kind of feel like it needs a damage boost but that's entirely because of the bolded instead of anything gameplay related

add map destruction so we can burn a giant rear end hole in the walls that it hits.

(Does the unicorn beam magnum pierce walls? Or only suits?)