Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Beef Of Ages posted:

While future proofing, if you have the space for it, consider a 50A plug for a car charger.

Just put in a 100a sub-panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Did the furnace work with the ecobee and developed a new problem after a while or has it never worked right?

I don't know what your technical level is but I will share my experience. When I installed my ecobee, I had a common wire but it wasn't hooked up on the furnace. That was a very easy fix rather than messing with a power extender. If you have enough wires in your tstat cable I would hook it up the simplest way.

Honestly I don't know if the heat ever ran right just due to it being the summer and only being in the house during warm months so far.

I only have 4 wires running to the thermostat location, here is a pic I took as a reference before I installed the ecobee.

It seems like the thermostat is all working properly, cooling works, independent fan control works, if the system is totally off the thermostat still has power, it's just that heat runs for a while and then stops/cycles or something.

I'm pretty technically proficient, I have to see if I even still have the previously installed thermostat because it was a cheap piece of junk.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Letter from the HOA Lawyers: They have settled the lawsuit with our condo manufacturers, and the funding for repairs of the community has been received. Weird part, to me: The terms of the settlement remain confidential, and per agreement, the condo owners are not permitted to know the terms of it. Therefore, the funding received will not be disbursed to the general HOA community budget, but remain in a separate fund which will not be reported in annual funding reviews in order to remain compliant with the confidentiality requirement. Alameda County court system signed off on this, apparently.

I mean, it'll still get out to everyone the first time someone on the HOA board has a beer, but what the gently caress?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

cr0y posted:

Honestly I don't know if the heat ever ran right just due to it being the summer and only being in the house during warm months so far.

I only have 4 wires running to the thermostat location, here is a pic I took as a reference before I installed the ecobee.

It seems like the thermostat is all working properly, cooling works, independent fan control works, if the system is totally off the thermostat still has power, it's just that heat runs for a while and then stops/cycles or something.

I'm pretty technically proficient, I have to see if I even still have the previously installed thermostat because it was a cheap piece of junk.

I am not an HVAC person but,

Looking at the colors and labels, it looks like your B slot is empty, and you have a B in your Y slot

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sundae posted:

Letter from the HOA Lawyers: They have settled the lawsuit with our condo manufacturers, and the funding for repairs of the community has been received. Weird part, to me: The terms of the settlement remain confidential, and per agreement, the condo owners are not permitted to know the terms of it. Therefore, the funding received will not be disbursed to the general HOA community budget, but remain in a separate fund which will not be reported in annual funding reviews in order to remain compliant with the confidentiality requirement. Alameda County court system signed off on this, apparently.

I mean, it'll still get out to everyone the first time someone on the HOA board has a beer, but what the gently caress?

Confidentiality clauses are extremely common in settlements. Your lawyer (the hoa's) agreed to it. Assuming the settlement has a guarantee of completion of remediation not just yolo here's $8mm and an estoppel clause it should be fine. I would quickly go buy a case of beer and head down to the hoa president's unit.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hadlock posted:

I am not an HVAC person but,

Looking at the colors and labels, it looks like your B slot is empty, and you have a B in your Y slot

In a replacement scenario letters and colors aren't guaranteed to match up to what was originally there and the Ecobee presumably came with a guide to translate the old to new wiring configuration.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Or the old wiring was mislabeled and the installer did trial and error, or knew the 'one weird trick' because the old control unit didn't follow the standard, and the new one does

Oh well. Good luck, goon

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Confidentiality clauses are extremely common in settlements. Your lawyer (the hoa's) agreed to it. Assuming the settlement has a guarantee of completion of remediation not just yolo here's $8mm and an estoppel clause it should be fine. I would quickly go buy a case of beer and head down to the hoa president's unit.

Based on the wording of the letter, it's a "yolo have some dough" settlement. The letter indicates prioritizing the money to specific types of repairs and that they're starting to meet with repair contractors. That indicates no completion of remediation guarantee, at least to me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"Discount repairs for thee, new marble flooring for me," says the HOA President

I don't understand how HOA members are supposed to ensure a repair fund is dispensed appropriately if it's completely confidential and hidden from reporting.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Sins of the PO: A 220V 4 wire outlet is right next to my breaker. It is dead normally. I assumed this was meant as a generator hookup and I'd find a switch or breaker to lockout the mains and switch the panel to generator power under the house panel.

I did not find this.

I found 4 10 gauge wires shorted together and poorly wrapped with painters tape inside the box. If I had plugged the generator into this it would have shorted 8000W either stalling the generator or starting a fire inside the panel, likely causing the now hot conductors to break free of their painters tape and flail about inside the panel.

:bravo: attempt at burning down my house PO :bravo:

Glad I checked.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't understand how HOA members are supposed to ensure a repair fund is dispensed appropriately if it's completely confidential and hidden from reporting.

Or even if its sufficient to do the needed repairs. How are the unit owners not party to this suit and therefore privy to the details?

Once again, HOAs are terrible.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'll call into the next HOA meeting and find that info. There has to be something. I'll either get a really comforting answer (lol) or come back with fabulous thread content to stare at like a trainwreck.

quote:

That's my big question, too. How the gently caress is the HOA kept accountable to do the right stuff with that money if it's confidential and hidden? Is there a trust / escrow managing it? Is it in the lawyer's control? The property management firm? Where the gently caress even is it?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Comedy option: any HOA board members into crypto?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sundae posted:

I'll call into the next HOA meeting and find that info. There has to be something. I'll either get a really comforting answer (lol) or come back with fabulous thread content to stare at like a trainwreck.

That's my big question, too. How the gently caress is the HOA kept accountable to do the right stuff with that money if it's confidential and hidden? Is there a trust / escrow managing it? Is it in the lawyer's control? The property management firm? Where the gently caress even is it?
This is fascinating please do update about it if/when you get answers to any of these questions.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sundae posted:

Honestly this should have been decided before it went to serving the lawsuit, what do your CC&R's say? What does your lawyer say? What motion did you vote on to put this in motion? What do the minutes say?

If you're really concerned about it (I would be) and you aren't getting answers then I would find another local attorney who specializes in HOA bullshit and do a 15 minute phone consult. California Bar Association offers a referral service if you don't know anyone in the area. I would get together a dozen of your closest neighbors to chip in some :10bux: and buy an hour or two of their time to talk to you about if the HOA is required to include you in this stuff. An hour of a litigators time is a couple hundred bucks. They don't necessarily have to be literally local - the broad strokes of the law are going to be set by California State and your local county/city is only going to get stricter.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

H110Hawk posted:

I would bet money that this isn't a HOA/their lawyers being lovely thing, it's the condo builder saying "we ain't settling for a single goddamn penny unless it's 100% confidential, otherwise we'll drag this out in court for a decade and bleed you dry."

There's zero chance that they're going to risk other victims customers from finding out how much they're doling out to cover for their mistakes.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

One room of my house is always WAY colder in the cold mornings and WAY hotter in the hot afternoons than the rest of the house. This is with all windows and doors closed and no heater or AC running, just the baseline temperature. It feels like maybe as much as a 10 degree difference. We just had our insulation redone in both the attic and crawl space and I’ve checked to make sure it’s consistent everywhere.

What sorts of things should I be looking into to find out why this is?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

cr0y posted:

When running the furnace hot air will blow for probably 15 minutes and then the unit cycles. It seems like the burners turn off but the fan stays on.
Just to be clear, this is causing your house to not heat or come to it's set temperature?

Because my new unit has a feature to keep blowing for like 15 minutes past when the heat kicks off, as to not waste the heat that's still trapped in the unit and vents and to keep it circulating.
It's a feature you can turn off if desired.
This sounds like the reverse of that though.

Edit: garage goon and others!
I'm plugging Tauton's build like a pro series (of books) insulate and weatherize Bruce Harley ©
They do other topics as well, but it covers almost everything you would want to know about improving the thermal envelope of your house,

Side note: if I ever had to build new i'd go with something like this
http://blog.lamidesign.com/p/swedish-platform-framing-info.html?m=1

More upfront cost, but negligible heating and cooling costs monthly.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 27, 2022

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Harriet Carker posted:

One room of my house is always WAY colder in the cold mornings and WAY hotter in the hot afternoons than the rest of the house. This is with all windows and doors closed and no heater or AC running, just the baseline temperature. It feels like maybe as much as a 10 degree difference. We just had our insulation redone in both the attic and crawl space and I’ve checked to make sure it’s consistent everywhere.

Is that room on the upper floor? Either way, What's under it?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is that room on the upper floor? Either way, What's under it?

It’s a one story house. Underneath is a crawl space that is under the entire house - no difference in the crawl space under my office and the cold/hot one.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Our dining room is always way hotter because it has a big window which faces southwest so it gets a bunch of late day sun. I plan on putting some window film on it but haven’t yet. Does that room get a lot of late day sun?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Muir posted:

Our dining room is always way hotter because it has a big window which faces southwest so it gets a bunch of late day sun. I plan on putting some window film on it but haven’t yet. Does that room get a lot of late day sun?

Yes it does get more sun. But honestly I’m more concerned with how cold it is in there in the morning. My office is right across the hall and it’s so much more comfortable and warm. I feel bad for my wife to have to go into her icy office.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Harriet Carker posted:

I feel bad for my wife to have to go into her icy office.

I thought we stopped treating wives for frigidity decades ago and yet here we are.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Harriet Carker posted:

Heat is always going to cold. If this room is heating and cooling faster than the rest of the house let's examine what's different about it.

Does the room have more outside walls than the rest of the house? This may be if it's got three outside walls or is long and skinny. Are the walls insulated the same? Are they insulated adequately? Insulation slows the transfer of heat by being a terrible heat conductor.

Windows, are there more, larger, thinner or drafty windows in the room?

Holes in general? Is there a lot of lights, outlets, vents etc that may provide a pathway for heat to escape and and enter?

Orientation, is this room on the south side and get blasted with sun all day? What's outside of the room, is it a clear view to the sky and to greenspace or somewhere that does not hold heat? Or is there a lot of vegetation or a house nearby that will help protect against radiation of heat?

Is the room insulated from the rest of the house by chance? It's unlikely but possible that it's just not sharing the heat from the rest of the home with the door shut. Sometimes the entire house is insulated inside and out which keeps sound quieter, and leads to more temperature variation if the hvac isn't balanced.

Based on the information you've given I'd expect to find that your exterior walls are not adequately insulated. It could be very old foam or something that has slouched or degraded over time and isn't effective at the top of the walls. Combine that with a big window and unprotected sides and that can explain it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Honestly this should have been decided before it went to serving the lawsuit, what do your CC&R's say? What does your lawyer say? What motion did you vote on to put this in motion? What do the minutes say?

CC&Rs say nothing about the lawsuit or revenue from lawsuits. HOA Lawyer is the person who sent the first letter saying it's confidential. My personal lawyer wasn't involved, because key point, bold-text the lawsuit was started before I bought the place and was not disclosed in the mandatory disclosures or in any of the HOA docs provided (and no, there's no worthwhile recourse for that; I already checked once I found out about it after the sale closed). Meeting minutes in the two years since I purchased do not discuss the lawsuit except that it is in the hands of the lawyers, and that the HOA is not allowed to discuss the litigation. Yada yada, all information to residents will come through the lawyers, not us, etc.

I'll check back in once I have info.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
Just closed on a townhouse purchase. Got the estimate back for new flooring (desperately needed), currently experiencing a bit of sticker shock. It's about 900sqft total.

The raw material and installation costs are about what I expected, but my mental planning didn't account for all the incidental costs. I could try getting another estimate, but I'm not confidant it would move the needle much and I'd really like to get all this work done before I move out of my current apartment (move out date is 10/23).

I can afford this, but it makes me sad.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Kefit posted:

Print this up in the Live Laugh Love font and hang it up in the family room. It's your new motto as homeowner!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
House Ownership: I can afford this, but it makes me sad

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Muir posted:

House Ownership: I can afford this, but it makes me sad

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Kefit posted:

Just closed on a townhouse purchase. Got the estimate back for new flooring (desperately needed), currently experiencing a bit of sticker shock. It's about 900sqft total.

The raw material and installation costs are about what I expected, but my mental planning didn't account for all the incidental costs. I could try getting another estimate, but I'm not confidant it would move the needle much and I'd really like to get all this work done before I move out of my current apartment (move out date is 10/23).

I'm curious, how much did you expect it to cost?

Quote seems reasonable to me, looks like you chose reasonably high quality flooring to install.

I'm of the opinion if the company has good reviews, and can actually work inside your schedule and can get the materials in time, hire them.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Sounds close to my old house for about the same size, but I was in southwest Indiana

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

skipdogg posted:

I'm curious, how much did you expect it to cost?

Quote seems reasonable to me, looks like you chose reasonably high quality flooring to install.

I'm of the opinion if the company has good reviews, and can actually work inside your schedule and can get the materials in time, hire them.

My expectation was around $8000, which corresponds pretty neatly with the two "supply and install" lines. As I said, I didn't account for all the incidental costs. I agree that the quote seems reasonable (and it's reassuring that this thread backs this up), which is why I don't think getting another estimate will move the needle much.

I think I just need a day or so to get over the sticker shock. The flooring materials are top end and the company has excellent reviews, so I'm paying for quality at least.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Do it. Price is good, timing is unfathomably good if you can really have the floors done and ready for usage before you have to move in

The difference between "what I expected" and "what's stressing me out" was only 25%? Home projects will regularly be 150-500% of what you expected, heads up!

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
My wife started a cabinet DIY project in the garage with stripping & sanding then got spooked by the possibility that it could contain lead paint. Anxiety went up to the roof on it, so we ordered a lead paint inspection. Disclosure for this house was obviously that no one knew anything, as ignorance is bliss with this sort of stuff. Only one place does it, $477 for the inspection, but it's done with that x-ray device. A guy who's been doing it for the past 15 years came to do it, very thorough (almost 100 surface readings), gave me suggestions all throughout and a risk assessment. Nothing interior popped as the 1.0 governmental standards, although there were two 0.9 readings and a lot of trace/reduced readings on the window sills, door trim, door jambs, and doors. The beam in the garage popped a 1.0 and most of the exterior paint besides the porch ceiling, fireplace wall, and fence gave readings from 1.0-3.0 (windows, fascia, soffits, and trim). Now I just wait for the full report, but most of his recommendations were "don't let the kids eat the paint, don't dry sand, clean up after yourself, paint over it, etc."

I'm glad we did it, now we know what we are dealing with and what precautions to take. I guess I'm not shocked that no one in the past 66 years disclosed lead paint knowledge, but I'm surprised no one tried. Though our realtor did tells us that we are the first clients to ever order a lead inspection that she knew about.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do it

You will super regret not getting it done before you move in

Also when you do move in, with new floors (and probably some rooms repainted) you'll feel like you got a great deal on the house and will feel a lot better about the purchase with everything squeaky clean instead of looking roughshod

re: lead paint inspection: the real estate agent wants the deal to close, they are not going to suggest inspections that will sink the deal and cause them to spend more time helping you

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If the cabinets are in the garage on the floor you're already halfway there. Strip it with chemicals or a lead-safe heat gun, wear a P100 half face respirator, and wet sand. Good job getting it tested. I wish it was just a requirement for home sales.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 27, 2022

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
Thanks for the feedback re: flooring quote. I'll be going forward with it.

Does this quote for painting seem reasonable for repainting basically every surface inside the townhouse aside from the upstairs ceilings? The painter is a reference from the flooring company and the two of them will be able to collaborate to do things like paint the stairwell walls down to the subfloor while the flooring is removed.

I know this kind of thing is very area and home layout specific, just looking for gutcheck responses. I have no frame of reference for what painting should cost.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How many sq ft of house are they painting 900 sq ft

Seems... high? But not a crazy amount, depends on the market

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
Thanks.

To be clear, the townhouse is about 1100sqft, but there's some flooring I don't need to replace (bathrooms, nice tile in the entryway, etc). Everything in every room needs to be repainted though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Kefit posted:

Thanks.

To be clear, the townhouse is about 1100sqft, but there's some flooring I don't need to replace (bathrooms, nice tile in the entryway, etc). Everything in every room needs to be repainted though.

Painting costs are definitely a regional thing. We had every room in my house (2 floors and a basement, 4100 sq ft) painted in August of 2020 for $5500. They could have done a better job, sure, but they were really fast.