Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Masking player retention brainworm behavior behind consumer friendly anti-cheating rhetoric is so morbid lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

'I have to give you my phone number to play' assures I won't bother with your game. I don't even mind giving it out (I order online after all) but not when it is mandatory under the thin guise of anticheat

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

drat. don't really know what to say

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Herstory Begins Now posted:

in ow2, not only will your team mate be unwilling to switch to counter the enemy teams comp, he'll also be unable to

requoting for posterity

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

:justpost: for about 100 matches to unlock all the classic heroes for new players doesn't sound that bad.
It is a training wheels for them, nothing more. :shrug:

Grind for competitive mode is about the same. lvl 25 vs 50 Quickplay wins.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Launch Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGgqyer-qr4

Nothing new except couple second clip from Kiriko cinematic short?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

adhuin posted:

:justpost: for about 100 matches to unlock all the classic heroes for new players doesn't sound that bad.
It is a training wheels for them, nothing more. :shrug:

Grind for competitive mode is about the same. lvl 25 vs 50 Quickplay wins.

The issue is that 'training wheels' dont work with a limited roster in a game where the fun you have depends on finding a character who clicks with you. If I had to (for example) play Soldier 76 for my first 25 matches before I could play a character I *might* like I'd have given up long before that.

Like imagine being told you can only play Soldier 76/Reinhardt/Mercy and you have to grind to see if maybe you prefer Reaper or Moira (let alone new characters).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Honestly, I don't think this is that crazy. OW had an especially egregious smurf/cheater problem and it's hard for a company of mediicre talent like Blizzard to address without these kinds of systems. I don't think 100 matches (unlock one new character every 3 matches on average?) is that onerous especially if players get to choose the characters they unlock and if there isnt a way to pay to circumvent it. I think the new characters in BP is much worse. (Unpopular take i know.)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I still can't believe they're releasing OW2 already.
Most of the tanks haven't even been touched to compensate for a 1 tank slot change.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Wave posted:

Honestly, I don't think this is that crazy. OW had an especially egregious smurf/cheater problem and it's hard for a company of mediicre talent like Blizzard to address without these kinds of systems. I don't think 100 matches (unlock one new character every 3 matches on average?) is that onerous especially if players get to choose the characters they unlock and if there isnt a way to pay to circumvent it. I think the new characters in BP is much worse. (Unpopular take i know.)

The issue is that (especially for F2P) players need to be engaged if they want to keep playing. If you make the 'wrong' choice then you have to keep playing as characters you don't enjoy to get to o e you might.

Remember this is new players only. Not people who have mains.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Jack Trades posted:

I still can't believe they're releasing OW2 already.
Most of the tanks haven't even been touched to compensate for a 1 tank slot change.

Weren't a bunch of changes for all tanks and healers going live with the launch of OW2?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's also incredible bad tummyfeels to find out that if you just bought OW1 6 years ago you'd have all this but now you're trapped in Engagement Hell for the next 60 hours while your OW1 friends who asked you to play can do whatever.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jack Trades posted:

pretty sure they all have been adjusted?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
should blizzard really be worried about the New Player experience at this point lol. seems kinda moot

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I just realized the NPE will be role queue 1:2:2 instead of the newbie all DPS deathmatch i remember it as. Never mind this will be terrible.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Father Wendigo posted:

Weren't a bunch of changes for all tanks and healers going live with the launch of OW2?

Pattonesque posted:

pretty sure they all have been adjusted?

Sure, they got slightly more health and shield, when releveant, but that barely counts.
What the gently caress is Hammond gonna do as main tank? Or Roadhog?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Ball is gonna do the ball things, like always.

Hog is in the bad place though. Big target, not much killing power and always being antihealed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

adhuin posted:

Ball is gonna do the ball things, like always.

Hog is in the bad place though. Big target, not much killing power and always being antihealed.

Ball could do ball things while a main tank protected the team.
Now when ball does ball things, the team dies and then the ball dies.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also, I'm loving calling it.

Kiriko gonna be overpowered as all gently caress and then they're gonna nerf her exactly 2 weeks after release.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Blizzard’s Official Post on it: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23857517/defense-matrix-activated-fortifying-gameplay-integrity-and-positivity-in-overwatch-2/

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Wow it's not phone number to play ranked. It's phone number to literally launch the game at all. hahahhaha

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Sure, they got slightly more health and shield, when releveant, but that barely counts.
What the gently caress is Hammond gonna do as main tank? Or Roadhog?

Serve as trap options for players who don't know better outside of a few edge cases.

Geoff is only just now gone, it's going to be a while before they find a new neckbeard to steer the game's design philosophy into a different iceberg.

adhuin posted:

That's one last 'gently caress You' from Geoff on the way out.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 27, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

EW! They're gonna be collecting transcriptions of the voice chat? Jesus loving christ.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

No account level borders and no showing player ranks pre-match? How am I gonna pre-judge team-Genji as trash now?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

adhuin posted:

No account level borders and no showing player ranks pre-match? How am I gonna pre-judge team-Genji as trash now?
Just prejudge every Genji like a sane, rational person.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Father Wendigo posted:

Just prejudge every Genji like a sane, rational person.

Maybe when the hell freezes over.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

worth nothing that acclaimed smash hit battleborn also required you to play a bunch of matches before you could unlock the whole crew. while i didnt play it till way after they reversed that decision, i remember playing the game's equivalent of roadhog and being extremely thankful i didnt have to again.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

This is getting so insanely, ridiculously bad to the point I'm convinced this is going to be the biggest financial success in video games in decades. It'll be the death of video games as worth any time from real people.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Whitenoise Poster posted:

This is getting so insanely, ridiculously bad to the point I'm convinced this is going to be the biggest financial success in video games in decades. It'll be the death of video games as worth any time from real people.

... and then a hacker finds out they kept everyone's CC info and phone numbers in a .txt file and that will be the end of Blizzard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
No one thing from this game is absolutely bonkers but the sum total so far is bugfuck insane

This game is like a litmus test for how much bullshit people can put up with

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah it's amazing

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It sorta feels like someone high up in charge of this game launch is running some sort of Producers style scam with how nearly every single bit of information that comes out about it is bad to middling and even things that are supposed to build hype generally go down like a lead balloon.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lead balloons can fly

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You know, honestly, I think they need to trim the cast down to launch numbers and having a rotating cast. There being a dozen tanks of dubious usefulness matters a lot less when there's only three or four you can use at any given time.

Otherwise, I mean they just can't keep adding more Heroes (yes the tracer line I know), it's a mess already.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

You know, honestly, I think they need to trim the cast down to launch numbers and having a rotating cast. There being a dozen tanks of dubious usefulness matters a lot less when there's only three or four you can use at any given time.

Otherwise, I mean they just can't keep adding more Heroes (yes the tracer line I know), it's a mess already.

What do you mean they can't? Have you seen League of Legends or DotA2?

In case you meant "they shouldn't" then yeah, I agree, but they won't stop.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

It would turn people off really badly if they just straight up weren't allowed to play their favorite character no matter what. Like not even a situation of being an Ana player and someone loads in before you and picks her before you can, just straight up "Ana is not in the game for the next three months unless you play arcade or customs" would infuriate people bigtime.

I think Overwatch is just kind of in a sour spot where the roster isn't large enough to do the kind of stuff that League and DotA get away with due to their triple-digit casts, but it's too large and diverse to balance like a more ordinary FPS.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Having to unlock base game features over the course of ~100 matches for new players sounds sooooooooo shiiiiitttttyyyy. Yeesh. What a crap model.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Lol a reviewer pointed out that you'll be grinding out about a hundred and fifty bucks at minimum wage to get those "free" heroes.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
As someone who has tried to jump into a MOBA with a million characters without even knowing how the game plays yet, it can be a bit overwhelming, so I understand where they're coming from with that approach. 100 games does seem like way too many though. If you're focusing on 1 hero a game, that's still under 2 games per hero to unlock everything, but I still think being fully unlocked by 50-75 games would be more appropriate. I would hope they at least give the player a choice of who they want to unlock at each unlock point, rather being forced on a particular progression, but I have absolutely 0 faith that this is how they implemented it. Would really suck if you know you want to try a specific character but because of some arbitrary order you can't try them until game 95 or w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

:yeah: Learning all the characters is pretty rough at beginning. I remember in Early OW most people didn't know what enemy heroes could do. Bastions would empty their clips at deflecting Genjis. DVA bombs and High Noon killed everyone, even the Rein. Torb turret was OP.

I assume new players start with 2-3 tanks and 4-5 DPS and 4-5 Healers to choose from.
Probably mainly from more easier to learn character classes.
Something like Jqueen/Rein, Sojourne/Junkrat/Pharah/Tracer and Mercy/Lucio/Moira/Zen

Issaries fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 27, 2022