Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Electric Wrigglies posted:

There is definitely an element moral superiority that goes with a lot of vegans/vegetarians. Who gives a poo poo if someone wants to eat meat at a BBQ? A person that feels superior to their guests, that's who.

Now Woke Liberal, what did your mommy say about being a good host? To not push your morals onto them through passive aggressive serving of their non-preferred food by relying on decorum for them not to go and get some of their preferred food to eat as well. Did your mummy not tell you it is bigoted behavior to judge people by what they eat? Did mummy not talk to you about how all the colors of the rainbow make the world a better place? Some like rice cooked in a cm of water, some like their rice rinsed, it takes all sorts, to make the world a better place, you and me and the entire human race.

again, it's most likely a fake story but suspending belief aside, the host was absolutely poo poo-stirring and the answer is that a reasonable person should just suck it up and eat the gotcha sandwich the host provided?

Just... shut the gently caress up. Please. Shut the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The host sucks for not letting people know it was vegetarian options only ahead of time and the dude who bought a loving rack of ribs sucks for being a showy douche.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Speaking of parent estrangement, it kinda seems like it would be reasonable to cut off Curse Grandma forever because regardless of whether OP believes in it or not, her mother knowingly did something she thought would harm the family? Which I don't even understand the logic of, because this woman is obsessed with Future Grandchild, and yet she has placed a curse on "the house", which... definitely includes her grandchildren.

Advice columnist had me screaming internally because like, yikes, it's worth some difficult conversations with your kids to keep them away from literal abusers, jfc. It sucks if they don't really understand why they don't see their grandparents and are sad about it, but that's a million miles better than the alternative.

e: This was typed when the parent estrangement posts were right above it, sorry for the weird segue.

Borosilicate
Aug 26, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electric Wrigglies posted:

again, it's most likely a fake story but suspending belief aside, the host was absolutely poo poo-stirring and the answer is that a reasonable person should just suck it up and eat the gotcha sandwich the host provided?

Yeah pretty much, then you don't go next time. Who the gently caress needs to make a big scene over something that doesn't matter at all?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

The host sucks for not letting people know it was vegetarian options only ahead of time and the dude who bought a loving rack of ribs sucks for being a showy douche.

Yea, feels like a clear-cut everyone is an rear end in a top hat, OP knew exactly what they were doing, attendees didn't have to throw a fit over it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You feeling OK there, buddy?

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

AITA for making my wife get out of bed at 6:15 a.m.?

quote:

My wife has a habit of setting an alarm clock to go off at 6:15 a.m. every morning. She never, ever wakes up for it. She rolls over, hits snooze, and goes back to sleep. Over and over again until 7:05 a.m.

This is incredibly annoying for me. I am a very light sleeper. The second that alarm clock goes off the first time, I'm up for the day. My own personal alarm clock is set for 7:15 a.m. I haven't even heard it go off in many months.

This morning, the first time her alarm clock went off, I tapped her on the shoulder and asked, "Who am I the only one who has to get up at 6:15?"

She said, "Because I can't wake up."

So, I figured I'd help her. I got out of bed and turned all the lights on. Admittedly, I stomped around the room a little and was a bit loud getting dressed.

I know this was at least a little petty, but am I the rear end in a top hat?

Edit: Edited to add that this isn't something new. We've talked about it many times. It's been amplified over the past few months because our morning "wake up" time is similar for the first time in a long time. Before this, I generally had a much earlier wake up time. I was conditioned to wake up naturally and not need an alarm.

I was about to not post this one because it's pretty whatever (although honestly I kinda wish somebody would wake up and turn the lights on at me when I try to hit snooze, I'm awful at waking up and it always makes me rush in the mornings), but I loved this interaction in comments:

some reddit poster posted:

I do agree that the out loud alarm is a dick move, my suggestion, is to keep her phone under her pillow.

That is what I do, so that I can listen to music through my pillow, (I have a purple pillow, no clue about the effectiveness of other pillows) without waking my Roomate, and the alarm is muffled for him too

another poster posted:

…why would the color of the pillow affect its effectiveness?

a third person posted:

Purple is a brand

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah I only go to MEAT PARTIES.

Communal food and a chance to hang out with friends and have beers my eye; there's a mcdonalds right over there and I have facebook on my phone.

e: I mean obviously it was reverse-gotcha vegetarian bait but I will still leave bundles of hair under your bed if you disagree with me

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 27, 2022

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Borosilicate posted:

Who the gently caress needs to make a big scene over something that doesn't matter at all?

people who label vegetarians as left wing ideologues, in this context not providing meat is a direct challenge and an articulation of politics. by only providing vegetables, the host is forcing guests to comply with a belief system they do not support, and one of the attendees took the bait and embarrassingly bought ribs as an escalation. host may as well have surprised their guests with drag queen story hour

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

A BBQ that said burgers and veggies and actually all being vegetarian would be like having people over for a roast and having it be a seitan or tofu vegan version. Technically accurate I guess, but definitely not what most people would think of.

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

I was about to not post this one because it's pretty whatever (although honestly I kinda wish somebody would wake up and turn the lights on at me when I try to hit snooze, I'm awful at waking up and it always makes me rush in the mornings), but I loved this interaction in comments:
You can buy light up alarms with a light that gradually turns on before the alarm goes off so it's nice and bright in your room by the time you have to wake up. I'm a big fan of them.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

My wife has a habit of setting an alarm clock to go off at 6:15 a.m. every morning. She never, ever wakes up for it. She rolls over, hits snooze, and goes back to sleep. Over and over again until 7:05 a.m.

Murder is completely justified here.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

captainOrbital posted:

Yeah I only go to MEAT PARTIES.

Communal food and a chance to hang out with friends and have beers my eye; there's a mcdonalds right over there and I have facebook on my phone.

e: I mean obviously it was reverse-gotcha vegetarian bait but I will still leave bundles of hair under your bed if you disagree with me

I only go to sausage parties. Nothing is more masculine than shoving a big, thick tube of meat in your mouth and feeling the hot juices explode down your throat.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

I only go to sausage parties. Nothing is more masculine than shoving a big, thick tube of meat in your mouth and feeling the hot juices explode down your throat.

God I'm... hungry

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

trickybiscuits posted:

There's no comments but sometimes I wonder if some of these advice columnists have reading comprehension problems.

Yeah. Apparently "I think my kids are unsafe with them because their own kid was abused and they still don't believe him when grownup him tells them that" is too much joined-up thinking for that therapist.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lmao

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Solenna posted:

A BBQ that said burgers and veggies and actually all being vegetarian would be like having people over for a roast and having it be a seitan or tofu vegan version. Technically accurate I guess, but definitely not what most people would think of.

You can buy light up alarms with a light that gradually turns on before the alarm goes off so it's nice and bright in your room by the time you have to wake up. I'm a big fan of them.

These alarms are loving awesome. And the food post was obvious bait, come on folks this is loving stupid.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

people who label vegetarians as left wing ideologues, in this context not providing meat is a direct challenge and an articulation of politics. by only providing vegetables, the host is forcing guests to comply with a belief system they do not support, and one of the attendees took the bait and embarrassingly bought ribs as an escalation. host may as well have surprised their guests with drag queen story hour

I would bodyslam people out of the way to get to drag queen story hour BBQ, veggie or not.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Solenna posted:

Sunrise alarms kick rear end, especially in the dead of winter.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Light-up alarm sounds awesome, I'll look into that.

And yeah what if the drag queens cooked amazing ribs? Checkmate liberals

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

And now that we've all read whatever the gently caress this was we can stop arguing about the barbecue story before someone attempts to PM me a hot dog.

Also, please keep estranged parent stuff in the Rejected Parents thread, thank you.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

do not go to that thread

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'll poo poo in your hat.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, pretty much. I have a friend who does an annual summer barbecue for her birthday in December (I live in the Southern Hemisphere), and we're also encouraged to bring our own meats, so I usually take beef burger patties that I make, which I make with uncased pork sausage, thin slices of onion and small cubes of butter and cheese inside. It's predominantly meat, but she and her partner also make sure there are vegetarian options (e.g. veggie patties, grilled portobello mushrooms, that sort of thing). You know, because she's not a lovely person and accepts that people have different dietary needs and preferences, and the vegetarians that turn up are also able to not make a big song and dance about it or make it front and centre of their personal identity.

She also has a friend that bakes cakes for the occasion, and always makes gluten-free cupcakes too, so the gluten-intolerant don't miss out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

AITAH For Ruining a Highschool dance

quote:

Last weekend I (34 F) was hired to work at a high schools home coming dance. Around the beginning of the dance kids were throwing water and glow sticks all over the place. I warned them that if they kept throwing water I would stop the music and I refused to start it until someone got me a towel to dry my keyboard. Everything was going well until about 2/3 of the way through the night people started yelling at me to skip songs. I refused as I am a very experienced dj and I know what I’m doing. A lot of people stopped dancing. Then people started saying my music taste and tempo was “clapped”. I decided to leave right then because I refuse to be insulted by some high schoolers that don’t know how hard it is.

do you think OP was playing that Cbat song

(edited bc I'm an idiot and completely missed the gender in the first four words of the post)

MK-Ultramarathon fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 27, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

hawowanlawow posted:

do not go to that thread

Yeah that thread does not do anything like what I think most posters in this thread actually want.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought it would be funny awful parent version of this thread but it's actually a hùge and sad group therapy thread for goons with traumatic family lives.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Baronjutter posted:

I thought it would be funny awful parent version of this thread but it's actually a hùge and sad group therapy thread for goons with traumatic family lives.

edit to add im glad it exists for the victims but holy poo poo its a downer

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Well I’m tickled something I posted went into the thread title. I considered spoiler tagging the juice, it makes for a good surprise twist.

AITA for telling my son he's not fun anymore?

quote:

My eldest turned 13 and he went from being a total boy dad to being a total square.

For example, we have a tradition of smashing pie in each other's faces for birthdays. At his 13th birthday party, he gave me a death stare when I went to put our in his face and said "don't you dare."
My 9yo son was more than happy to take it in the face though.

I even offered to take him ax throwing and he said no because he was worried about getting a splinter.

He's even covering up around me even though I told him it's not anything that I have seen before.

I can't even get a side hug. A few months ago if I hugged him then he'd start to playfully put me in a headlock.

This morning I asked him if he wanted to go to the Coffee Bean before school. Just me and him. He said no. That's like a 13yo boy turning down a trip to the arcade. I told him I didn't understand why he did not. He said there's nothing to understand. I said I don't understand why he's no fun.

I guess that comment made him cry later in the day but it's true and I'm trying to bond with him.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Crocobile posted:

Well I’m tickled something I posted went into the thread title. I considered spoiler tagging the juice, it makes for a good surprise twist.

yeah most kids are smarter than their dads by 13 these days

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Crocobile posted:

Oh, no, my son is going through puberty, time to make him cry.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Crocobile posted:

This morning I asked him if he wanted to go to the Coffee Bean before school. Just me and him. He said no. That's like a 13yo boy turning down a trip to the arcade.

yeah adolescent boys find coffeehouses exactly as much fun as arcades, what are you talking about

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Crocobile posted:

quote:

He's even covering up around me even though I told him it's not anything that I have seen before.

um what

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for "cutting off" the financial aid I give my parents?

quote:

My (F) parents are in a tight financial situation, only my father receives a pension and they are unable to work anymore.

I gave them my credit card which has a high limit for them to buy what they want without having to keep asking. For example, fictitious values, they always spend between 1200-1500.

An important context: My younger brother and I do not have a good relationship, due to irreconcilable differences. We haven't spoken in almost 10 years. My parents gave up trying to get us closer.

This month, the spending on the card came im the value of 3k. I called my mother to find out what happened, because never in a year has such a large expense been spent and she started to dodge until she said that my brother and his 2 children came to live with them.

Apparently, in the divorce process, the ex got the house and he got the company, they had 50/50 custody of the children, but she ended up giving up and he got full custody. The company, due to his management (my ex-SIL carried that company on her back), is not working out and he was unable to pay rent, bills, food alone (pension is still being resolved, but it takes time). He asked my parents for help.

I asked if he helped around the house and she said she felt sorry for him, because he was really tight, so he only helps with the bills and not food.

I was annoyed, because I don't care about helping my PARENTS, but I don't want to support food for more 1 adult and 2 children (I've never seen them in my life, so I don't have affection, sorry).

I gave an ultimatum saying either he starts to help with that too or I cancel the card and start sending restricted money to their account, they would have to be responsible for managing that money until next month. And that I was angry, because even though I didn't care about them spending on the card, they didn't ask if it was ok to spend twice as much because there were 3 more people in the house.

My mother started saying that they didn't ask me because they knew I would deny it, that it was inhumane to treat someone who is going through hardship like that, that I know my parents can't afford to stand on their own and they would never turn their backs on a son and two grandchildren. And started pressuring me to keep the credit card they would try to keep the budget lower so as not to give it so high.

I stood by the decision (she didn't want to ask him to help with food) and sent the money to their account. They are begging me to release the card, but I don't feel comfortable paying for 3 more people.

AITA?

The money they used to spent was more than enough for them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I'm hoping that's normal self-consciousness resulting from hitting puberty, and nothing more nefarious than that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Crocobile posted:

Lol, dad calling his kid a square immediately followed by complaining that he doesn't want pies smashed in his face any more was the pick-me-up I needed this afternoon

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Another candidate for, "Why doesn't my child talk to me anymore!?" in the future.

AITA for going through my daughter’s room while she was asleep?

quote:

Hello. I (49F) have a 17 year old daughter. Throughout middle and high school, she has had some problems with smoking weed and vaping. I have gone through her room and belongings on several occasions when she has not been home to try and make sure she is not doing anything illegal, and most of the time, I don’t find anything, but I can never be too sure.

She is over a month into her senior year and has really let her grades slip (she is normally a straight A AP student, but she has several Bs in the grade book right now). I am very disappointed in her, as this is her senior year and she should not be screwing around like this.

Last night, while she was asleep, I decided to go through her room, because I figured if her grades were this poor, she must be misbehaving. I looked through her drawers and closet, but I couldn’t find anything so I decided to look through her phone. To do this, I had to get on her bed and reach over her, as she sleeps with it by her pillow facing the wall. While grabbing her phone, I saw her wallet and decided to look through that too. I gave up on looking through her phone because I couldn’t figure out her password, so I opened her wallet and started looking through it. In her wallet, I found an empty vape pod and saw red.

I woke her up at about 5:30 and confronted her about it. She told me that she didn’t even know it was in her wallet and that she didn’t even understand why I was mad because I know she quit months ago. She then asked me why I was even going through her stuff in the middle of the night, especially since she gave me no reason to, and then she said I was an AH and completely betrayed her trust.

So AITA for going through my daughter’s room while she was sleeping?

A couple of replies from the op:

OP posted:

I confronted her when she got her first B, and she told me that she felt she could afford to have a couple Bs because she’s committed to enlist when she graduates.

She is in an extracurricular, but if she can’t get her grades up, I will make her quit.

She is working but I am considering making her quit her job as well.

She is already in therapy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is that the prequel to the one daughter who snuck off to join the Coast Guard in the middle of the night?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for "cutting off" the financial aid I give my parents?

quote:

they didn't ask me because they knew I would deny it

so they knew what they were doing was wrong, they admitted that they knew this, and they just kept on going from there

well they got chutzpah, at least

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Kuros posted:

AITA for going through my daughter’s room while she was asleep?
I looked through her drawers and closet, but I couldn’t find anything so I decided to look through her phone. To do this, I had to get on her bed and reach over her, as she sleeps with it by her pillow facing the wall. While grabbing her phone, I saw her wallet and decided to look through that too.
Just casually sneaking into someone's room while they're asleep, going through their clothes, opening their underwear drawer, climbing on the bed they're sleeping on, attempting to circumvent the security on their phone, and searching their wallet.

You know, totally normal stuff if you're a stalker in a horror movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MagusofStars posted:

Just casually sneaking into someone's room while they're asleep, going through their clothes, opening their underwear drawer, climbing on the bed they're sleeping on, attempting to circumvent the security on their phone, and searching their wallet.

You know, totally normal stuff if you're a stalker in a horror movie.

No wonder she's planning on enlistment, she'll have more privacy and autonomy in boot camp.