Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I was referring to 00.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay. Well if it's a painful roll down a hill rather than a Wile E. Coyote cliff dive then that's better. Like Heero Yuy falling down a hillside.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 27, 2022

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
what was up with pizza hut getting damnatio memoriae'd in code geass season 2 anyway

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Licensing deal probably ended.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

And season 1 was already getting a little silly towards the end where poo poo starts flying because gently caress the technology curve,

Gawain is loving immaculate and my precious baby, take this back right now

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
People couldn't keep CC's figure while gorging on pizza and filed complaints.

It's always funny when real world brands show up in anime. It might be a couple centuries into the future but there's still a Jollibee in Davao if Hathaway ever gets hungry after terror bombing Federation officials.

Scotiabank and Western Union surviving the Calamity War in Iron Blooded Orphans is proof that it truly is the darkest timeline.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The DVD releases for Code Geass just had generic pizza, which were what I watched, so all I got to see through season one was C.C. gorging herself on generic pizza regularly for no apparent reason.

Tae posted:

Iirc geass moved to a new timeslot for s2 and got executive meddled into having lelouch be in school again to "prevent confusion"

Part of it was also it was released like a full year after the first series as well, wasn't it? Didn't want to confuse the new viewers, etc, etc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nowadays waiting years between seasons is so common and depressing.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

the table humping

I had successfully memory-holed this until you brought it up, thanks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Warmachine posted:

The face you're making right now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

I was pleasantly surprised just recently to see Shadows House got a second cour.

A year after the first.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Warmachine posted:

God dammit, :same:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Arc Hammer posted:

Bleach is coming back soon

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tae posted:

Bleach is coming back soon

Speaking of things to memory hole.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Like Heero Yuy falling down a cliffside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcFg3xOsR_M

I'd think this was meant to be a joke if the show wasn't so completely earnest in its insanity.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

People couldn't keep CC's figure while gorging on pizza and filed complaints.

It's always funny when real world brands show up in anime. It might be a couple centuries into the future but there's still a Jollibee in Davao if Hathaway ever gets hungry after terror bombing Federation officials.

Scotiabank and Western Union surviving the Calamity War in Iron Blooded Orphans is proof that it truly is the darkest timeline.

Don't worry. Scotiabank has been replaced by BankBank. Major improvement.

On an unrelated note, seeing people talk about how Witch might be the "most advanced" setting due to the cyborg tech just convinces me more than ever that a lot of people only care about aesthetics.

PD had back-alley cybernetics that created a whole artificial brain lobe that was so cheap that you could afford to use it on children in bulk lots. AD had a character who had half his body replaced with robotic parts, and the tech was advanced enough that no-one could even see the difference without cutting him open. But because PD looks gritty, and Lichty looked organic, that's "less advanced" than the cutting edge having blatantly obvious robotic limbs, in a setting where cosmic radiation is still a major issue. (Something that PD and the UC have completely resolved).

Dumb to care, I know, but it does reinforce some of my instincts about these discussions.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The DVD releases for Code Geass just had generic pizza, which were what I watched, so all I got to see through season one was C.C. gorging herself on generic pizza regularly for no apparent reason.
I watched Code Geass recently and let me tell you that watching that whole show over a couple of weeks is a trip.

Pizza Hut got blanked out in S1 but snuck back in in S2. Cheese-Kun was never removed at any point.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Code Geass works a hell of a lot better as a binge than it does week to week. Its a hell of a lot more coherent, but watching it as it came out was a vibe that ain't possible to relive.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

Don't worry. Scotiabank has been replaced by BankBank. Major improvement.

On an unrelated note, seeing people talk about how Witch might be the "most advanced" setting due to the cyborg tech just convinces me more than ever that a lot of people only care about aesthetics.

PD had back-alley cybernetics that created a whole artificial brain lobe that was so cheap that you could afford to use it on children in bulk lots. AD had a character who had half his body replaced with robotic parts, and the tech was advanced enough that no-one could even see the difference without cutting him open. But because PD looks gritty, and Lichty looked organic, that's "less advanced" than the cutting edge having blatantly obvious robotic limbs, in a setting where cosmic radiation is still a major issue. (Something that PD and the UC have completely resolved).

Dumb to care, I know, but it does reinforce some of my instincts about these discussions.

I think in addition to aesthetics it's largely a matter of presentation and emphasis. Witch is making the visual aspects of the technology very up front. You have slow pan shots showing extremely advanced cybernetics and other stuff like the hilariously cyberpunk looking circuit print tech tattoos showing up on peoples' faces when they're GUND-ing out of control and how GUND pilots die from the hilariously cyberpunk sounding "data storms".

IBO treated all the insane sci fi stuff in the setting as completely mundane and didn't really draw a lot of specific attention to how ludicrously advanced it all is.

As for AD, I think that's people not remembering/caring who the gently caress Lichty is - he's one of the most forgettable background characters in the show and his cybernetics deal only shows up and is mentioned in a minute long scene as he's dying and is gone from the show without another mention for the remainder.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/240eukrante/status/1574953992559656960?t=z897uHVASVgu217XbsnzaQ&s=19

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The point of IBO's tech so being advanced and ignored was that, to them, it was ancient to the tune of about 300 years. Nobody needed to really iterate since the Seven Stars took over until Tekkadan showed how powerful Mobile Suits could be when used right, and the difference in technology speaks for itself when an ancient, and rightfully feared, Mobile Armor turns up and its most deadly weapon is completely negated by what's now mundane standard-issue armor plating on the most basic Mobile Suit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The point of IBO's tech so being advanced and ignored was that, to them, it was ancient to the tune of about 300 years. Nobody needed to really iterate since the Seven Stars took over until Tekkadan showed how powerful Mobile Suits could be when used right, and the difference in technology speaks for itself when an ancient, and rightfully feared, Mobile Armor turns up and its most deadly weapon is completely negated by what's now mundane standard-issue armor plating on the most basic Mobile Suit.

Also no one actually knows how to get the double reactor thing the Gundam's have working, even though it basically quintuples a suit's performance and durability.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

started watching g-reco. trying to avoid forming an opinion until the show reveals more of itself (currently 3 episodes in, and everything is so...i'll say "heightened," that it's clearly going somewhere), but it's funny to me that "the show consciously cuts away from an explanation of the main conflict to show you unnecessary mobile suit fighting" is a critique I've seen come up a lot, because 1) it's very obviously an intentional move by the writing, it's like getting annoyed that the audio cuts out on gendo's sentence in end of eva; 2) you actually totally do get enough info there to infer what's going on! aida makes a comment about how the earth should be covered in solar panels if not for the authoritarian capital and it's obviously like "oh, so the initial core conflict in this show is about energy," even though bellri's response is mostly omitted; and 3) you get a more involved explanation about the control of photon batteries as a means of social control in the literal next episode. there is also maybe a lingering question about why bellri's response was focused on something specific about earth (i'm gonna guess "earth is sacred," we'll see), but if that's an actual open question it's clearly an intentional one.

like, having watched these three episodes, it would make way more sense to me if the complaints were mostly "hey, why is everyone in the capital a weird incompetent who's totally fine letting a prisoner just walk right into a very important piece of stolen technology" (i assume the answer is something to the tune of cumpa wanted the g-self stolen for his Nefarious Reasons, while the capital kids have mostly been trained wrong as a joke/are genuinely so unfamiliar with war and used to the comfort of the imperial core that they straight up cannot process what's happening/bellri feels guilty enough to let her do it and noredo cares more about protecting raraiya and bellri than about the capital, but we'll see). but instead everyone seizes on a moment that doesn't affect the viewer's understanding at all. very strange!

Valentin fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 28, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well, it's not that nobody iterated. Gjallarhorn's Graze was a new design that only recently reached full distribution, and Teiwaz had recently made some long lost Calamity War blueprints into production models. Technology was still advancing, even with some things lost in the fires of the Calamity.

But you're right about the ancient part. People in IBO being excited about quantum communication, perpetual energy, or inertial cancelling would be like stopping a stranger in the middle of the street to talk about these remarkable new "bicycle" devices.

Valentin posted:

started watching g-reco. trying to avoid forming an opinion until the show reveals more of itself (currently 3 episodes in, and everything is so...i'll say "heightened," that it's clearly going somewhere), but it's funny to me that "the show consciously cuts away from an explanation of the main conflict to show you unnecessary mobile suit fighting" is a critique I've seen come up a lot, because 1) it's very obviously an intentional move by the writing, it's like getting annoyed that the audio cuts out on gendo's sentence in end of eva;

I feel like this is the bit I should respond to, because it's kind of a pivot point, and I feel like you're grabbing the wrong end of the stick.

It's deliberate, I agree, but it being deliberate is the whole trouble.

One of the big defenses when people accuse the show of being confusing is to claim it's being naturalistic. That is, the show is like The Wire, where exposition only occurs when people would be talking about something. If you see a sign on the door saying "McNulty", and then someone later in the episode asks where that fuckhead McNulty is, you're supposed to go "Oh, the detective we saw earlier was that fuckhead McNulty, and that's why he's not here!", without anyone calling him by name on screen.

That shot, meanwhile, is blatantly artificial. It's the show denying information (why the Capital claims it's keeping energy restricted, and what the rank and file believe), not due to the natural flow of events, but by blatantly cutting away from events. It's the show proving that the confusion is an end in itself, not a byproduct of other goals or just "what happens". Now, you can argue that the confusion itself is valuable enough to justify that decision, but it is a clear statement of intent, and that's important. It also seems to be, judging from interviews, something Tomino felt he went too far with, leading to somewhat more focused exposition in the movies.

And speaking of movies, saw Doan in theaters today. It's still good. Audience laughed pretty loud at several of the gags... and at the Bright slap.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also no one actually knows how to get the double reactor thing the Gundam's have working, even though it basically quintuples a suit's performance and durability.

The Ahab reactors always gave me huge Lostech vibes. IBO is basically Battletech: The Anime.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, it's not that nobody iterated. Gjallarhorn's Graze was a new design that only recently reached full distribution, and Teiwaz had recently made some long lost Calamity War blueprints into production models. Technology was still advancing, even with some things lost in the fires of the Calamity.

But you're right about the ancient part. People in IBO being excited about quantum communication, perpetual energy, or inertial cancelling would be like stopping a stranger in the middle of the street to talk about these remarkable new "bicycle" devices.

Kinda, but I get what you mean. I saw it more as iterating off that 300-year-old tech rather than actual new innovation in design (Less so in season 2, as things get competitive and everyone's getting into the MS game). Like, say, iterating a brand-new fighter plane derived from the recorded plans and principles for a spitfire or a biplane rather than developing a F-16 or F-22.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

That shot, meanwhile, is blatantly artificial. It's the show denying information (why the Capital claims it's keeping energy restricted, and what the rank and file believe), not due to the natural flow of events, but by blatantly cutting away from events. It's the show proving that the confusion is an end in itself, not a byproduct of other goals or just "what happens". Now, you can argue that the confusion itself is valuable enough to justify that decision, but it is a clear statement of intent, and that's important. It also seems to be, judging from interviews, something Tomino felt he went too far with, leading to somewhat more focused exposition in the movies.

right but again you get that bolded information provided in the literal next episode, when bellri explains directly that the control of photon batteries has been implemented to prevent UC-style endless war. and again, it's not confusing in the moment, either; you get more than enough information to infer that it's an issue about the control of energy by the capital, and also the cutaway is a very blatant indication that you're not supposed to really worry about the broad politics right now, you should be focusing on other things. and choosing what to show and what not to show in order to create a desired effect in the audience (here the confusion seems clearly deliberate) is a basic part of art. like, all shots are blatantly artificial, you can tell by the giant robots in them. it just seems like a bizarre thing to seize on since it's not in any way a barrier to understanding the episode it happens in, and the arguments against it appear to be just that it's artless or stylistically offensive (a matter of taste, whatever) or that the exposition should have happened in a different order (which...okay?).

e: it's really just for me that like. this is obviously an artistic choice being made, so it's a weird thing to get hung up on. in the same episode cahill literally sees aida on the g-self's open cockpit and nevertheless tries to attack its cockpit, why did the cutaway become the big issue? just a surprising audience response imo.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 28, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Arc Hammer posted:

It's always funny when real world brands show up in anime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPuI4l0jK7s

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

The Ahab reactors always gave me huge Lostech vibes. IBO is basically Battletech: The Anime.

Hardly LosTech. They're merely proprietary. Gjallarhorn can still make them at will, and in season 2, we see that they can ramp up production enough to make mass production models for the four powers as well as for themselves, and on a decent scale. (Especially considering they can only be made near a star's gravity well).

There is a lot of similarity to Battletech's scavenger society (with IBO having even more obscenely durable old clunkers) but there's much less lost never to be recovered, and much more that's been advanced to new heights.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Hardly LosTech. They're merely proprietary. Gjallarhorn can still make them at will, and in season 2, we see that they can ramp up production enough to make mass production models for the four powers as well as for themselves, and on a decent scale. (Especially considering they can only be made near a star's gravity well).

There is a lot of similarity to Battletech's scavenger society (with IBO having even more obscenely durable old clunkers) but there's much less lost never to be recovered, and much more that's been advanced to new heights.

What's legitimately lostech is making them run in tandem to achieve the Gundam frames. They're like the Solar Furnaces in 00 in that they all have a unique signature, and I wouldn't be surprised if getting "just" 72 Gundams working was a success similar to Halo's Spartan-II program starting with 300 candidates and only having about 70-odd viable Spartans come out of it that weren't dead or crippled.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Turns out the key to making Double Ahabs work is attaching a silly backpack and Saji Crossroads

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't the armor in question mundane in the Calamity War era too? All the Gundams obviously had it, but the impression I got was that it was quickly rolled out to mass production in that era as a reaction to the mobile armors, and was scary not because it was so deadly to suits but because it was so deadly to civilians not in suits. With mobile armors generally targeting civilians over suits.

chiasaur11 posted:

I would argue that it's less about aesthetics and more about focus. No-one remembers that cybernetics are a thing in Gundam 00 because Lichty's cybernetics were given no focus, and by the same token I don't think the relative advanceness of tech in PD is so obvious to viewers not because it doesn't look fancy enough as such, but because the show never focused on a lot of the more advanced elements. The idea that the reactors can only be made near a star is from supplementary material rather than being in the show if I recall. As is the idea they're functionally (if not actually) invincible and will continue to produce energy essentially forever. The idea they are may have been taken from setting information rather than made up for gunpla manuals or data books (and I'm not sure which is the case off-hand), but even if it was something the staff of the show intended, it's not actually in the show for people only familiar with it to know.

I do think aesthetics has some part in it though, and I wouldn't even be dismissive of it because the show does it's best to emphasize the more hosed up nature of the technology and it's dangers rather than the proviso that those dangers are much more apparent for back alley operations or what have you. Again, it's about the focus. Yes, the show does indicate that there are safer options available, but it spends a lot more time emphasizing the problems so it's not really surprising that's what people remember.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 28, 2022

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Turns out the key to making Double Ahabs work is attaching a silly backpack and Saji Crossroads

So two silly backpacks, then

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/shoukamechadork/status/1573730719611994114?s=21&t=pAV532r2_oJ9KxGCb43jvw

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nanolaminate isn't a new tech, it existed in the Calamity War. The Hashmal's beam cannon isn't for killing mobile suits, it's for killing cities, infrastructure, and people(which it is incredibly good at). Note that the AI didn't try to use the beam cannon on a mobile suit - it knows it's not good for that. The only reason it hit a suit is that the suit tried to jump in front to save the town.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Nanolaminate isn't a new tech, it existed in the Calamity War. The Hashmal's beam cannon isn't for killing mobile suits, it's for killing cities, infrastructure, and people(which it is incredibly good at). Note that the AI didn't try to use the beam cannon on a mobile suit - it knows it's not good for that. The only reason it hit a suit is that the suit tried to jump in front to save the town.

To be precise Nanolaminate waa invented during the Calamity War since the AI's most dangerous weapons were beam related. The AIs just kept using beam weapons because they are absurdly good at destroying anything that isn't Nanolaminated

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

To be precise Nanolaminate waa invented during the Calamity War since the AI's most dangerous weapons were beam related. The AIs just kept using beam weapons because they are absurdly good at destroying anything that isn't Nanolaminated

And the AIs still had plenty of tech that worked just fine on armored mobile suits. Hashmal fucks with Barbatos hard enough just using melee attacks that Mikazuki has to turn off the limiters that prevented him from getting even more brain damage. Beams just went from "kills everything" to "kills soft targets."

Plus, Nanolaminate isn't infinite either. It's ablative, and theoretically after enough beam hits the energy transferred will 1) destroy the suit after the NLA burns off or 2) cook the pilot alive with residual heat. Number two was implied in the scene Kanos referenced. Or at least my brain remembers it that way--the inside of the suit was getting extremely hot after tanking Hashmal's beam for as long as it did. It's not practical to do this with most handheld or ship-based beam weapons because why is the suit going to just stand there and take the hits? Kinetic weapons are simply more expedient in an actual fight. But point something the size of a Colony Laser at a PD suit or make the suit stand in the beam for long enough and it'll still do the job.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Warmachine posted:

And the AIs still had plenty of tech that worked just fine on armored mobile suits. Hashmal fucks with Barbatos hard enough just using melee attacks that Mikazuki has to turn off the limiters that prevented him from getting even more brain damage. Beams just went from "kills everything" to "kills soft targets."

Plus, Nanolaminate isn't infinite either. It's ablative, and theoretically after enough beam hits the energy transferred will 1) destroy the suit after the NLA burns off or 2) cook the pilot alive with residual heat. Number two was implied in the scene Kanos referenced. Or at least my brain remembers it that way--the inside of the suit was getting extremely hot after tanking Hashmal's beam for as long as it did. It's not practical to do this with most handheld or ship-based beam weapons because why is the suit going to just stand there and take the hits? Kinetic weapons are simply more expedient in an actual fight. But point something the size of a Colony Laser at a PD suit or make the suit stand in the beam for long enough and it'll still do the job.

The pilot was 100% fine and perfectly cool, the heat problem was the ammo in the gun cooking off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

We know napalm can strip off nanolaminate so Rx-78-2's SUPER NAPALM will doom them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

The pilot was 100% fine and perfectly cool, the heat problem was the ammo in the gun cooking off.

Not perfectly cool. Chad commented on his MS feeling warmer when it got hit (and the heat was why the ammo cooked), but it seems more "this is uncomfortable" than "This is potentially lethal".

Considering nanolaminate can take extended exposure to super napalm and survive re-entry heat, the evidence suggests that burning it off, while a known tactic, is long and miserable work.