Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Kefit posted:

Just closed on a townhouse purchase. Got the estimate back for new flooring (desperately needed), currently experiencing a bit of sticker shock. It's about 900sqft total.

The raw material and installation costs are about what I expected, but my mental planning didn't account for all the incidental costs. I could try getting another estimate, but I'm not confidant it would move the needle much and I'd really like to get all this work done before I move out of my current apartment (move out date is 10/23).

I can afford this, but it makes me sad.

Wow, free of charge “screw squeaks to best of ability”? At that price, you can’t afford not to.

(I need a similar amount of new flooring in my place, and I was mentally budgeting $15k, so with mid range materials I hope it ends up closer to your estimate)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Kefit posted:

Thanks for the feedback re: flooring quote. I'll be going forward with it.

Does this quote for painting seem reasonable for repainting basically every surface inside the townhouse aside from the upstairs ceilings? The painter is a reference from the flooring company and the two of them will be able to collaborate to do things like paint the stairwell walls down to the subfloor while the flooring is removed.

I know this kind of thing is very area and home layout specific, just looking for gutcheck responses. I have no frame of reference for what painting should cost.

Very hard to say without knowing how much wall square footage is being painted.

I guess I could say for my old home which was about the same size. Paint would be all the same? About $400-500 assuming it's 10 gallons at $50 a gallon in bulk with markup, I'd guess a crew of three to do it in about two days if the house is empty, so there's another $2400 in labor at $50 per hour plus some sundries etc at a few hundres I'd guess about $3200?

And I don't paint professionally anymore so idk on time and labor on that job. I just know I wouldn't try to do it for less than that!

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Muir posted:

House Ownership: I can afford this, but it makes me sad

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It's alarming how quick I got used to 4 to 5 digit quotes for house things, but after you spend 6 digits on the down payment, it makes sense.

Just weird because otherwise I've lived a very frugal life. Even the honeymoon didn't cost as much as the new HVAC.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Abyss posted:

don't dry sand

H110Hawk posted:

don't wet sand

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

The truth posted:

don't sand

Alternatively... posted:

don't dry wet sand

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Just don't sand it's an awful task.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

StormDrain posted:

Very hard to say without knowing how much wall square footage is being painted.

I guess I could say for my old home which was about the same size. Paint would be all the same? About $400-500 assuming it's 10 gallons at $50 a gallon in bulk with markup, I'd guess a crew of three to do it in about two days if the house is empty, so there's another $2400 in labor at $50 per hour plus some sundries etc at a few hundres I'd guess about $3200?

And I don't paint professionally anymore so idk on time and labor on that job. I just know I wouldn't try to do it for less than that!

Thanks, this kind of breakdown is very helpful. I'm not concerned with getting best possible price or anything (especially given my scheduling needs), but it's assuring to know that the paint quote is at least in the ballpark of reasonable.

Nybble posted:

It's alarming how quick I got used to 4 to 5 digit quotes for house things, but after you spend 6 digits on the down payment, it makes sense.

Just weird because otherwise I've lived a very frugal life.

Yep. I could only afford to buy this home because I've spent most of my life being frugal as gently caress. And that's also why I can afford the used car price tag that is going into this flooring and painting. I'm not made of money though, and I do want to install minisplits in the next year or two, and I want to be able to max out my roth IRA once 2023 starts, and I've got travel plans for next year...so I want to at least make sure I'm not setting too much money on fire here.

Kefit fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 27, 2022

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Inexperienced painter question:
We’re going to be DIY painting a bedroom in the near future. The current paint is two toned and there’s a noticeable line where the PO used heavy tape on the boundary. I originally thought they painted over a ~4 inch strip of wallpaper but further inspection shows it’s all paint.

Is it best to just sand down the paint line while prepping? It’s in the middle of the wall so I don’t want to completely screw up the texture.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Democratic Pirate posted:

Inexperienced painter question:
We’re going to be DIY painting a bedroom in the near future. The current paint is two toned and there’s a noticeable line where the PO used heavy tape on the boundary. I originally thought they painted over a ~4 inch strip of wallpaper but further inspection shows it’s all paint.

Is it best to just sand down the paint line while prepping? It’s in the middle of the wall so I don’t want to completely screw up the texture.

Lines suck. They catch the light and our ability to see patterns quickly and stand out. You mention texture, what kind? A knockdown will be different than an orange peel, I'll assume it's orange peel type.

Here's what I'd do. Hit it with a heavy scraper to knock it down as much as you can. Painted walls don't sand worth a poo poo. It'll still be visible, but less high points. Then I'd mix up some 20 or 45 minute mud and smooth it out, then wipe it with wet rags to blend it back out. I do this for minor hole and patch prep. The wet rags dissolve it again just a bit and let's you push them into the dips easier and removes some of it so it does blend.

And after all that I'd still see it but my Wife wouldn't notice it anymore and we'd move on. She will however point something else out that I hoped to skate on and I'll have to fix it. Usually a little drop on some trim I thought the open door would cover or behind the furniture.

Edit Oh and youll definitely want to run a coat of Kilz primer on the whole wall so the sheen matches. I didn't used to do this but my current home had walls that seemed to be painted with flat or gloss depending on the day or maybe even intermixed. A coat of primer ensured success with an even sheen.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 27, 2022

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Muir posted:

House Ownership: I can afford this, but it makes me sad

Needs more love.

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

BigHead posted:

I know someone who stole a lake.

He had a gravel pit on his property. He retired from the gravel pit business, and diverted a stream to fill up his gravel pit. This drained the neighboring lake. It also just caused a muddy hole in the ground because the gravel pit was very porous, and killed all the downstream fish. It was terrible.

Is he a goon? I'd love to see the post about that. "Help me my lake is not holding water"

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

gp2k posted:

Is he a goon? I'd love to see the post about that. "Help me my lake is not holding water"

No. His name was Bruno, he was an extremely cantankerous rear end in a top hat, and he lived about seven minutes from Sarah Palin. That basically describes the entire population of Wasilla, Alaska though.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Prepping for Hurricane Ian made me realize we do not have a shop vac. Too late now, but I want to put the order in. I can’t remember what the goon consensus was between Rigid and DeWalt, or Craftsmen, Stanley, etc

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Omne posted:

Prepping for Hurricane Ian made me realize we do not have a shop vac. Too late now, but I want to put the order in. I can’t remember what the goon consensus was between Rigid and DeWalt, or Craftsmen, Stanley, etc

Ridgid. Spend the extra $$ for the HEPA filter and vacuum bags.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 28, 2022

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Ridgid is the goon standard. There's one to fit your budget/capacity requirements and filters/bags are easy to find.

I would buy one that has HEPA bags/filters available for it just in case you come across a need for them down the road. IIRC the smaller ones don't, but the mid-sized ones and above do.

edit:

whatever you do, do NOT buy some tiny 1/2 gallon deal. We had one that the in-laws gave us because they didn't need it. Thought we were covered. One day while doing laundry a tiny infant baby sock manged to get past the washer drum and jammed the drain pump. Trying to drain a few gallons of water out of a washer with a 1/2 gallon wet vac is a miserable experience.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 28, 2022

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Lines suck. They catch the light and our ability to see patterns quickly and stand out. You mention texture, what kind? A knockdown will be different than an orange peel, I'll assume it's orange peel type.

Here's what I'd do. Hit it with a heavy scraper to knock it down as much as you can. Painted walls don't sand worth a poo poo. It'll still be visible, but less high points. Then I'd mix up some 20 or 45 minute mud and smooth it out, then wipe it with wet rags to blend it back out. I do this for minor hole and patch prep. The wet rags dissolve it again just a bit and let's you push them into the dips easier and removes some of it so it does blend.

And after all that I'd still see it but my Wife wouldn't notice it anymore and we'd move on. She will however point something else out that I hoped to skate on and I'll have to fix it. Usually a little drop on some trim I thought the open door would cover or behind the furniture.

Edit Oh and youll definitely want to run a coat of Kilz primer on the whole wall so the sheen matches. I didn't used to do this but my current home had walls that seemed to be painted with flat or gloss depending on the day or maybe even intermixed. A coat of primer ensured success with an even sheen.

Thanks for this, extremely helpful. The walls are standard orange peel texture so I’ll get to scraping.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hell yeah good luck.

My new Ridgid shop vac arrives today as well. I got a wall mounted five gallon unit. I did it for two very good reasons. The old shop vac brand one is huge and a burden in my garage, and it doesn't vacuum worth a poo poo no matter how new the filters are. Plus they don't sell the filters and I can't remember which ones to buy.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, need a gut check here. I'm in the market for a new refrigerator, ideally a French door. I am deal with some size constraints (33" Wide, no more than 68 5/8"s high in the back) which really cuts down the population of my choices. Traditionally, I've stuck with GE and Whirlpool and have been very much avoiding Samsung and LG due to a perception of really poor quality and lots of repairs/defects. Not to mention scary as hell faulty water lines that flood everywhere.

In the current market, I'm unable to find any of the GE/Whirlpool models (or Bosch, or anything else really that isn't a flimsy cheap house brand) to see and touch for myself and ready to just order one and pray it doesn't suck.

Every store I go to seems to have lots of LG and Samsung, is this because everyone else is avoiding them for good cause, or because they don't have the supply issues and I AM THE PROBLEM and shouldn't be so hard on their products?

Thoughts? Greatly appreciate a goon perspective and gut check.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

TraderStav posted:

Hey all, need a gut check here. I'm in the market for a new refrigerator, ideally a French door. I am deal with some size constraints (33" Wide, no more than 68 5/8"s high in the back) which really cuts down the population of my choices. Traditionally, I've stuck with GE and Whirlpool and have been very much avoiding Samsung and LG due to a perception of really poor quality and lots of repairs/defects. Not to mention scary as hell faulty water lines that flood everywhere.

In the current market, I'm unable to find any of the GE/Whirlpool models (or Bosch, or anything else really that isn't a flimsy cheap house brand) to see and touch for myself and ready to just order one and pray it doesn't suck.

Every store I go to seems to have lots of LG and Samsung, is this because everyone else is avoiding them for good cause, or because they don't have the supply issues and I AM THE PROBLEM and shouldn't be so hard on their products?

Do you have a local appliance retailer you can call and ask? In the Midwest I use https://abt.com/ them and they can always help with finding floor models of whatever I need to touch, and their in house teams handle install with new water line kits they also sell. Best appliance store ever.

On Saturdays and Sundays they bake chocolate chip cookies in their demo model kitchens and give them out on the sales floor. Sadly I live 15 miles away.

I can say I have a Samsung Washer/Dryer set and they've been great, and LG also has a good reputation for washers/dryers. Not sure about fridges though!

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 28, 2022

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Inner Light posted:

Do you have a local appliance retailer you can call and ask? In the Midwest I use https://abt.com/ them and they can always help with finding floor models of whatever I need to touch, and their in house teams handle install with new water line kits they also sell. Best appliance store ever.

On Saturdays and Sundays they bake chocolate chip cookies in their demo model kitchens and give them out on the sales floor. Sadly I live 15 miles away.

I can say I have a Samsung Washer/Dryer set and they've been great, and LG also has a good reputation for washers/dryers. Not sure about fridges though!

I haven't really dealt with local (Metro Detroit) appliance stores, perhaps I need to broaden my search. The few local ones I quickly googled had nothing in their inventory but perhaps visiting in person will help. Thanks for the suggestion.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

TraderStav posted:

I haven't really dealt with local (Metro Detroit) appliance stores, perhaps I need to broaden my search. The few local ones I quickly googled had nothing in their inventory but perhaps visiting in person will help. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm out in California, but I had a good experience ordering a floor model from Noble Appliance which is in your part of Michigan.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TraderStav posted:

Big George's is pretty good, I've had family that had good experiences there and I've been involved in some appliance purchases in previous jobs that went fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Muir posted:

I'm out in California, but I had a good experience ordering a floor model from Noble Appliance which is in your part of Michigan.

Sirotan posted:

Big George's is pretty good, I've had family that had good experiences there and I've been involved in some appliance purchases in previous jobs that went fine.

I'm actually in Ann Arbor so both of these will be worth checking out. Thanks!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Avoid Samsung and Bosch. LG is fine just like all the others. There has to be somewhere you can go to look at a fridge, I wouldn't buy one without getting a vibe from opening the doors. But I also suck at looking at pictures and sussing out how things work in real life.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

TraderStav posted:

For what it’s worth, I got a GE a few weeks ago that should fit your requirements, GNE25JYKFS. Love it so far. Send me a PM if you want any better pictures/video than what’s online.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

StormDrain posted:

Quoting this so I can find it easier, as well as say thanks. I'm about to patch a bunch of spots in my front room that has a slight texture to it, going to try the wet rag technique.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Johnny Truant posted:

Quoting this so I can find it easier, as well as say thanks. I'm about to patch a bunch of spots in my front room that has a slight texture to it, going to try the wet rag technique.

Heck yeah best of luck. I do it with the powdered joint compound, I use either 20 or 45, both are fine depending on how much you're doing. After it dries in like 1-2 hours I sand it down and wet rag it. Anything smaller than a coin I can usually blend but larger than that and I do hit it with some canned spray texture that is way more expensive than it should be.

My pet peeve is when someone hits it with a putty knife to fill the holes and it ends up with a chatter texture and then that just gets painted. It's so obvious and once it's painted a huge pain to deal with since the paint has now immortalized it by sealing it. Meanwhile I can run through a room filling nail holes, pushing in drywall anchors and filling those, come back with a sanding sponge and a rag and make them disappear while only adding 10 minutes time.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Because I'm obsessed. Here's what I mean, in gray and that was all over my house. Well still is because I can't possibly find the time to fix them all so I live with it.

And in the rose color are two anchor holes from a towel ring that I just patched a couple weeks ago. I know it was there because it was recent but until you're in top of it they don't stand out.

That bathroom has like, a dozen existing lovely patches too and I probably will be patching them better when I remodel it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

StormDrain posted:

And in the rose color are two anchor holes from a towel ring that I just patched a couple weeks ago. I know it was there because it was recent but until you're in top of it they don't stand out.

I'm not following along but did you go straight over anchors? The trick is to grab and smush them with pliers into the wall cavity. Or just put a roundish (Philips, torx, hex) screw driver into them and pop them with a hammer. You risk blow out doing it but uh, yeah that's what I do depending on the wall for the tiniest shittiest ones. Big or high quality or softer walls I use needle nose to smush.

Next time you have that color paint open + spackle you can easily fix this with a razor blade plus above.

Otherwise yeah that's just character. Eventually you won't care. I surely don't. There are 2 in my kitchen I see daily.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh no I push them in all the time. These two might have bubbled and ended up being obvious. The point was that the patched part was just at the hole and not a huge schmutz of spackle that is worse.

Edit, the inside of my walls are probably littered with abandoned drywall anchors.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

FYI, if you’re planning on using a shop vac inside for an extended time, be sure to wear hearing protection.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Avoid Samsung and Bosch. LG is fine just like all the others. There has to be somewhere you can go to look at a fridge, I wouldn't buy one without getting a vibe from opening the doors. But I also suck at looking at pictures and sussing out how things work in real life.

I can see and touch lots of fridges, but none of the ones that are in the dimensions that I need. The feel of the doors is something that I'm very particular about as they can often be real cheap and low quality. Don't want to find that out for the first time in my kitchen.

Kolodny posted:

For what it’s worth, I got a GE a few weeks ago that should fit your requirements, GNE25JYKFS. Love it so far. Send me a PM if you want any better pictures/video than what’s online.

This is one that is on my short list and damned near ready to just order it and pray it's nice. Is it have solid construction and well made? Several that I touched at the stores were real flimsy or too light for what it should be. I'll send you a pm, thank you!

The most important thing is that the measurement of the back of case from the top to the floor is less than 68 5/6". Can you check that?

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 29, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The reason you should avoid Samsung is that spare parts are nearly unobtainable; only official Samsung repair people have access to spare parts, and even they may have to wait months. With most brands, any repair person has access to the parts.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The reason you should avoid Samsung is that spare parts are nearly unobtainable; only official Samsung repair people have access to spare parts, and even they may have to wait months. With most brands, any repair person has access to the parts.

Definitely one of the reasons I really like GE. Repair clinic is a 25 minute drive from me. Can buy up all the parts that may be the problem and return the rest. It's amazing.

LG parts widely available?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
In my continuing effort to provide content for this thread, the Bad With Money thread, E/N, and the r/Relationships thread, I met with a lawyer today along with two friends with whom I want to buy a house to use as our primary residence. Lawyer was very helpful, answered a lot of questions, but he is a real estate guy, not a tax guy, so couldn't answer one question I had: if we use an LLC to own the house (we would all be co-owners of the LLC, the LLC would be on the title for the house), is there any way for us to get the primary residence capital gains tax exemption, or is that right out given that an LLC cannot have a primary residence?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Ham Equity posted:

if we use an LLC to own the house (we would all be co-owners of the LLC, the LLC would be on the title for the house), is there any way for us to get the primary residence capital gains tax exemption, or is that right out given that an LLC cannot have a primary residence?

I had considered buying my house in a trust but this was one of my concerns. I believe there was a poster (was it GGGC?) who did actually lose out on a tax exemption for that exact reason, though I forget details, like if it was state or federal.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

In my continuing effort to provide content for this thread, the Bad With Money thread, E/N, and the r/Relationships thread, I met with a lawyer today along with two friends with whom I want to buy a house to use as our primary residence. Lawyer was very helpful, answered a lot of questions, but he is a real estate guy, not a tax guy, so couldn't answer one question I had: if we use an LLC to own the house (we would all be co-owners of the LLC, the LLC would be on the title for the house), is there any way for us to get the primary residence capital gains tax exemption, or is that right out given that an LLC cannot have a primary residence?

What is your plan for new friends in a few years?

Pay for tax advice from a cpa. They are going to be handling your llc accounting regardless. If they aren't don't bother with an llc you three will gently caress it up and make the llc pointless.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Insurrectum posted:

FYI, if you’re planning on using a shop vac inside for an extended time, be sure to wear hearing protection.

Ridgid also makes a little tailpipe diffuser thing that helps with noise. I bought one for using my vac in the attic to keep from stirring up insulation and while I still needed to wear earmuffs, the diffuser cut down noise a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Tyro posted:

I had considered buying my house in a trust but this was one of my concerns. I believe there was a poster (was it GGGC?) who did actually lose out on a tax exemption for that exact reason, though I forget details, like if it was state or federal.
Yeah, we live in Washington so there isn't any state capital gains (for the moment, anyhow). I'm concerned with federal.

H110Hawk posted:

What is your plan for new friends in a few years?

Pay for tax advice from a cpa. They are going to be handling your llc accounting regardless. If they aren't don't bother with an llc you three will gently caress it up and make the llc pointless.
Whether or not the home would be eligible for the primary residence capital gains exemption is something we'd like to consider when we are deciding whether we form an LLC or not. Definitely going to use an accountant for at least the first year if we do go that route, but all three of us have worked in some form of finance, so depending on the cost and the complexity may or may not continue to use one after that.