Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lager posted:

I just can't get over the realization that this news item is coming courtesy of the Bigfoot sex book congressman.

Are you loving kidding me.

ETA: ok, it’s not what we think. Interesting story though.

The Washington Post posted:

All the while, he dabbled in Bigfoot beliefs as a personal hobby. In 2004, he flew to Washington state with his wife, Christine, and his best friend, a Michigan state trooper, to go on a Bigfoot-hunting expedition, the first of several he would take over the years for his book. At the time it was only a lark, basically a prank vacation.

He had told his wife they were going on an “exotic” hiking trip for their anniversary.
“It was not the greatest thing I’ve ever done,” he says now.
In the woods, they listened to Bigfoot-believing women sing nursery rhymes, banking on the widely held theory that women’s singing voices would lure the hairy, behemoth forest dweller from the shadows. Around a campfire, they humored other group members’ stories of Bigfoot sightings.
Some attendees debated, with almost religion-like conviction, whether Bigfoot had a gluten allergy, or questioned how big his penis was. (Yep, that’s in the book. And if it sounds vaguely familiar, it’s because Riggleman’s Democratic opponent in 2018 accused him of being a “devotee of Bigfoot erotica”; Riggleman had joked online about Bigfoot genitalia and “why women want” him.)

By the end of the trip, Riggleman, and especially his wife, couldn’t believe he had dropped more than $5,000 — much of which he paid to the expedition leader.
As he recalls the expense today, Riggleman said it doesn’t feel much different from Trump’s allies seeking donations from fervent Trump voters to help his campaign’s legal challenge of the election results.
“If you look at the Giulianis or the Sidney Powells of the world, they’re making money off the grift because they’re asking for donations to help in a mythological quest of things that can’t be proven,” he said, referring to a former member of Trump’s legal team. “I saw it with Bigfoot. I’m seeing it with QAnon. It’s about money. And sometimes crazy and money live in the same space.”
So basically the guy was more into studying Bigfoot believers and why they believe the crazy poo poo they do and how that relates to conspiracy theorists of all types including Q-Anon and Trump’s election lies.

Which yeah ok but drat, may you live in interesting times strikes again.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Are we gonna find out exactly who was on the White House end of the phone call?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What’s a good podcast to keep up with this stuff that’s more on “just the facts” and less on speculation and hopium?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Someone who inevitably was just grabbing coffee for the administration.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

What’s a good podcast to keep up with this stuff that’s more on “just the facts” and less on speculation and hopium?

Opening Arguments is quite good IMO. They were a bit optimistic during the Mueller investigation but lately Andrew's been pretty spot on with e.g. how the 11th Circuit isn't going to buy Trump's bullshit even though it's a conservative court, etc. https://openargs.com/

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Oracle posted:

Yeah this feels rather coordinated. Why this guy and why now right before the hearing? I’m with the ‘drum up interest’ faction. ‘The call was coming from inside the (White) House’ is classic plot even the dumbest most tuned out non-voter knows and it’s a great teaser.

Self-enrichment. He wrote a book about his time on the Jan 6 committee (he quit the committee in April), and the book is coming out the day before the final hearing. He's in the "drum up interest by dropping a few salacious details in the news media" phase of a political tell-all book release. That is what he's drumming up interest for.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

Opening Arguments is quite good IMO. They were a bit optimistic during the Mueller investigation but lately Andrew's been pretty spot on with e.g. how the 11th Circuit isn't going to buy Trump's bullshit even though it's a conservative court, etc. https://openargs.com/

There's also Cleanup on Aisle 45 which also includes said Andrew. The other co-host was even more optimistic about Mueller, but she's also a big policy nerd, and the two shows generally focus on different aspects of the news even if they often cover the same story. https://mswmedia.com/show/clean-up-on-aisle-45/

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Self-enrichment. He wrote a book about his time on the Jan 6 committee (he quit the committee in April), and the book is coming out the day before the final hearing. He's in the "drum up interest by dropping a few salacious details in the news media" phase of a political tell-all book release. That is what he's drumming up interest for.

Yeah I saw this earlier today, sigh.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
drat. Not another coffee boy

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

There's also Cleanup on Aisle 45 which also includes said Andrew. The other co-host was even more optimistic about Mueller, but she's also a big policy nerd, and the two shows generally focus on different aspects of the news even if they often cover the same story. https://mswmedia.com/show/clean-up-on-aisle-45/

Both of those and I add in Lawfare podcast (Brookings institute) when they have Jan 06 related conversations. Occasionally they have some other interesting topic but the majority of their policy stuff is too dry even for me.

Edit: when they talk Eastern European politics with the former president of Estonia(? I think, president of one of those) those are a good listen.

Edit2: they have enough clout to get very good panelists for their discussions, like heads of government departments and former high ranking members of government or recognized top thinkers so it usually worth a listen if the topic is interesting.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 25, 2022

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

mobby_6kl posted:

National Security Law is pretty good if you want the strictly legal aspects of what's going on, but they don't update often.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anything Preet Bharera is good. Like the Cafe Insider podcast.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Nail this sleazy motherfucker to the wall.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1574392573980020737?t=vkwRZclwmh9GuF7QazpmHA&s=19

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I enjoy that the turnaround time there is supposed to be two business *hours* from the time of subpoena, lmao

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Do they have recordings of him doing some low down stuff or something? Subpoenaed on Saturday to show up Monday seems to be a very short turnaround time.

Are they trying to get info before the hearing on the 29th?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Meatball posted:

Do they have recordings of him doing some low down stuff or something? Subpoenaed on Saturday to show up Monday seems to be a very short turnaround time.

Are they trying to get info before the hearing on the 29th?

It's gotta be for the hearing. The subpoena says it was "publicly reported", implying they don't have any secret insider evidence yet. The last paragraph seems to just be asking nicely; "hey since Trump called you a piece of poo poo for not breaking your state constitution and endorsed your political opponent, you wanna explain what he asked you to do?"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's gotta be for the hearing. The subpoena says it was "publicly reported", implying they don't have any secret insider evidence yet. The last paragraph seems to just be asking nicely; "hey since Trump called you a piece of poo poo for not breaking your state constitution and endorsed your political opponent, you wanna explain what he asked you to do?"

Vos is a weasel who would still happily clean Trump's rear end in a top hat with his tounge if asked.

Source: am from Wisconsin

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

It was apparently only a 9 second conversation which suggests there probably wasn't a lot of detailed instructions going back and forth.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Epicurius posted:

It was apparently only a 9 second conversation which suggests there probably wasn't a lot of detailed instructions going back and forth.

"National Guard is deploying" would fit the timeframe.

Most likely it's a nothingburger but I could see something coming out of it yet.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mdemone posted:

"National Guard is deploying" would fit the timeframe.

Most likely it's a nothingburger but I could see something coming out of it yet.

Them having the number at all is suspicious as hell though. Even if it was a social call, apropos of nothing asking about how the person's mom is doing, why the hell do you have the random rioter's number.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Xiahou Dun posted:

Them having the number at all is suspicious as hell though. Even if it was a social call, apropos of nothing asking about how the person's mom is doing, why the hell do you have the random rioter's number.

Saw something about Lunyk being a Russian immigrant BUT I'm not sure the reporting is accurate. He's cooperated in his J6 case and got off with probation, so it's possible there's a relatively benign explanation.

We know how that sort of thing goes, though. Watch him turn out to be FSB or whatever.

Edit: to be clear I have zero reason to believe that.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Epicurius posted:

Could have been to relay a message, as a text could have been traced. Unless there was a wiretap, all they know within investigation is that the call actually happened.

If it was someone high up in the White House I could see them calling and relaying a sort message.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I think the important question is why would a call from the White House go to some random J6’er ? I don’t care if it was a 3 second phone call, someone had that nerd’s number for a reason.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
There was absolutely some kind of coordinated conspiracy between Trump loyalists in government and J6 people. There were people in Congress and the White House (and the SC if Clarence Thomas was working directly with Ginny) who were actively planning to have their colleagues murdered in order to install Trump in a coup. Turns out they were all too incompetent to make sure it happened. The only question is how deep it goes, who's involved, and how much of this can/will actually be brought to light, imo.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

There was absolutely some kind of coordinated conspiracy between Trump loyalists in government and J6 people. There were people in Congress and the White House (and the SC if Clarence Thomas was working directly with Ginny) who were actively planning to have their colleagues murdered in order to install Trump in a coup. Turns out they were all too incompetent to make sure it happened. The only question is how deep it goes, who's involved, and how much of this can/will actually be brought to light, imo.

Yeah. Remember this on Jan 4th? It was definitely pre-planned and coordinated with Trump folks.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1346226937568645121

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Vos is a weasel who would still happily clean Trump's rear end in a top hat with his tounge if asked.

Source: am from Wisconsin

Am too from Wisconsin, will say that we may have the 3rd worst Republicans who are, if given the legal opportunity, will completely dismantle this state into the next Alabama hellhole.

To go from the reliably blue state that voted against the patriot act to where we are now…

If you all only see what they’ve been doing to Mandela Barnes.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Check the phone records for calls to that number in the month before.

Epicurius posted:

That itself makes it more suspicious to me. Just think, you answer the phone maybe while in a car or subway, taxi, or walking, and the person asks for Eepydullus. How much back and forth will there be before you convince them that isn't your name and that you don't want to buy any vinyl siding?

If it's an explicit, anticipated call (with caller id), it can be much more direct: "Epicurius? (Yeah) We been informed that the national guard has been called and will begin arrests at the capitol, leave now. (click)"

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Inner Light posted:

I am expecting this will be a nothing burger just like everything Trump consequence related for the last 7 years, a handful of low level lackey prison time notwithstanding.

Hey folks, haven't checked into the thread in a while. Has anything Mattered since the raid of MAL yet?

e: lol, I had fun looking through some history back in here. I can't believe the raid of MAL was on August 8, I feel like it was years ago at this point

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 27, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Am too from Wisconsin, will say that we may have the 3rd worst Republicans who are, if given the legal opportunity, will completely dismantle this state into the next Alabama hellhole.

To go from the reliably blue state that voted against the patriot act to where we are now…

Could you or another Wisconsinner give the whistle stop version of what the hell happened over there? I’m half the country away and I have no real foundation in your local politics, but I noticed the shift even from here and I never understood what changed. From random snippets it seems like you went from pretty progressive for the Midwest to Silver Legion 2.0 in like a week when I wasn’t looking.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I see it every day.

My kids are even subjected to it when we let them watch YouTube videos.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Xiahou Dun posted:

Could you or another Wisconsinner give the whistle stop version of what the hell happened over there? I’m half the country away and I have no real foundation in your local politics, but I noticed the shift even from here and I never understood what changed. From random snippets it seems like you went from pretty progressive for the Midwest to Silver Legion 2.0 in like a week when I wasn’t looking.

QAnon claimed the farmer boys, Fox News radicalized anyone not around Madison or Milwaukee, and suburbs started pearl clutching about minorities in their backyard.

Oh and the sane people flocked into densely populated areas which were then gerrymandered to hell and back, disenfranchising a shitload of democrat votes

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 27, 2022

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Check the phone records for calls to that number in the month before.

That itself makes it more suspicious to me. Just think, you answer the phone maybe while in a car or subway, taxi, or walking, and the person asks for Eepydullus. How much back and forth will there be before you convince them that isn't your name and that you don't want to buy any vinyl siding?

If it's an explicit, anticipated call (with caller id), it can be much more direct: "Epicurius? (Yeah) We been informed that the national guard has been called and will begin arrests at the capitol, leave now. (click)"

That's where I am on it. As I stated before, a text would be easily traced, but you couldn't know what was said in that call unless you had a wiretap.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Inner Light posted:

Hey folks, haven't checked into the thread in a while. Has anything Mattered since the raid of MAL yet?

e: lol, I had fun looking through some history back in here. I can't believe the raid of MAL was on August 8, I feel like it was years ago at this point

They just released another list, ever so slightly more detailed, of what was found and where it was found.

https://pacer-documents.s3.amazonaws.com/42/618763/051125111467.pdf

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Xiahou Dun posted:

It was the 2010 backlash to Obama's election + redistricting year that let the GOP take control and gerrymander to keep it. The state supreme court is also a 4-3 conservative majority, thought this can (and will hopefully) change in the spring election.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Fitzsimons, known for his bloody face in photos and one of the original users of the "convict me? For storming the capitol and committing multiple assaults? But I was lied to!" defense, had an utterly predictable, selfinflicted, very bad day.

It's a long one, but really that's his fault, not mine:
https://mobile.twitter.com/sfoguj/status/1574769487035113472
https://mobile.twitter.com/sfoguj/status/1574769924069007361
https://mobile.twitter.com/sfoguj/status/1574771660980637699
https://mobile.twitter.com/sfoguj/status/1574773446264819712
https://mobile.twitter.com/sfoguj/status/1574776625387819010
Note to aspiring coupttorneys: If state of mind is an essential element in your affirmative defense... this is maybe not the right way to defend it (also, his sole good news of the day: in this one instance he's got assault but not bodily injury)
https://mobile.twitter.com/sfoguj/status/1574779783421915137
https://mobile.twitter.com/sfoguj/status/1574781756808364034
https://mobile.twitter.com/sfoguj/status/1574783162948800512
A note here that he repeatedly left messages at Golden's office in the days leading up to the assault, which made this one of the easier verdicts you'll see:
https://mobile.twitter.com/sfoguj/status/1574785310898036737
https://mobile.twitter.com/sfoguj/status/1574786161356046337

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like he's going away for a while :byewhore:

Here's the thread unrolled: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1574766865674825740.html

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

mdemone posted:

They just released another list, ever so slightly more detailed, of what was found and where it was found.

https://pacer-documents.s3.amazonaws.com/42/618763/051125111467.pdf

Thanks, I will dig into this when I have some time. It sounds like the answer to wondering if anything has Mattered since the raid of MAL is a resounding "no". Here's hoping that changes sometime in the next year or two, maybe? I'm trying to do better than CSPAM style posting here, I assure you I am legitimately interested :)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
So in terms of Big New Revelations, no. But in terms of Mattering, I think the fact that Trump hasn't been finding traction beyond Chudge Cannon is something that Matters. The DoJ's request for a stay of part of Cannon's decree was granted unanimously and comprehensively by a panel that was majority-Trump apointees. The Special Master that his team nominated has been Actually Doing His Job. The system is, for the time being, Working.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/January6thCmte/status/1574841926234378257

Tomorrow's hearing is postponed due to Hurricane Ian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

https://twitter.com/January6thCmte/status/1574841926234378257

Tomorrow's hearing is postponed due to Hurricane Ian.

Slightly sad, but also it's politicians reacting to a real problem and at least nominally doing something about it so uh yeah, no, do more of that, folks.