Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Survivors guilt is a well known event. Feeling guilt doesn't prove anything, even if in this case it is absolutely justified.

You wanna take a gamble on how much the jury agrees about that, 'cause I wouldn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

no pubes yet sorry posted:

lol this is one of the best thread titles in years. every time i scroll by i hear jack donaghy saying this to the 50 rock crew.

It really is. I giggle every time I scroll past.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

FoolyCharged posted:

Survivors guilt is a well known event. Feeling guilt doesn't prove anything, even if in this case it is absolutely justified.

Welcome to the theatre that is the American court system. It doesn't prove anything but if you think it has no influence on the case then maybe you should tell the entire legal industry who will meticulously manage perceptions and "optics". It shouldn't matter, but it definitely does.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Sir, this is a western :colbert:

Well someone hasn't seen Cowboys vs Aliens.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
But the optics would look better to feel guilty about it? That's what I'm saying - I've heard showing remorse can work in your favor in terms of the harshness of the sentencing in wrongful death cases. It doesn't affect whether it's wrongful death or not, but can get you off lighter. I don't think it's like how you should never apologize for a car accident, or how a doctor is advised not to apologize in malpractice settings. I could be wrong tho, IANAL.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 5, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

StrangersInTheNight posted:

But the optics would look better to feel guilty about it? That's what I'm saying - I've heard showing remorse can work in your favor in terms of the harshness of the sentencing in wrongful death cases. I don't think it's like how you should never apologize for a car accident, or how a doctor is advised not to apologize in malpractice settings. I could be wrong tho, IANAL.

Feeling guilty could be better optics in the court of public opinion, but not the real court. Feeling guilt is evidence of having done something wrong. If you did nothing wrong you should not feel guilt. Beep boop.

There are lawsuits and he's a big target. Alex Baldwin the producer is probably protected from direct liability by the production company. Alex Baldwin the shooter might still be found personally liable though. The production company will probably declare bankruptcy before any lawsuits even get underway. Baldwin presumably has deeper pockets than the AD or armorer so he's going to avoid admitting liability.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Blanks can kill people too, how bout we ban guns from films altogether. Just give it the one piece treatment

A firearm was bad enough, can you imagine the damage Alec could have done accidentally discharging this?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
WaPo or NYT published an article a couple days ago that featured legal analysis of the interview and p much all the attorneys thought it was a dumb idea with no upsides, only downsides.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

#LockHimUp

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

StrangersInTheNight posted:

But the optics would look better to feel guilty about it? That's what I'm saying - I've heard showing remorse can work in your favor in terms of the harshness of the sentencing in wrongful death cases. It doesn't affect whether it's wrongful death or not, but can get you off lighter. I don't think it's like how you should never apologize for a car accident, or how a doctor is advised not to apologize in malpractice settings. I could be wrong tho, IANAL.

He hasn’t been sentenced, he hasn’t even been charged yet. This is much closer to the car accident scenario where admitting guilt can be taken as an admission of responsibility.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

which begs the question: why the gently caress is he doing interviews right now?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
actors aren't always the smartest people

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Attorneys are also dumb fucks a lot of the time and say "fEelINg BaD mEAnS uR GUilTy" because it happened once and the system is calvinball. 100% the cops have already interviewed him extensively and he's not getting charged with a crime, and 100% he's getting sued for wrongful death along with everyone else possible to sue and the lawyers have judged that it's fine or even good to play up his involvement as an actor that day being helpless to prevent a tragedy he's not responsible for, and is actually a victim of, instead of his involvement as a producer who hired the people responsible and signed off on the safety plan that was negligently drafted and negligently enforced.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Infinite Karma posted:

Attorneys are also dumb fucks a lot of the time...

I totally agree with you, but in this case they're right. Alex basically sat for an unnecessary deposition and introduced facts into evidence, making things much more difficult for himself. One example: The whole "the gun went off by itself" admission is the dumbest loving self-own, because now you're pinning your own defense on a malfunctioning weapon. You're on record stating that gun malfunctioned. And that weapon can be examined. Now he's got additional problems of his own creation if that gun checks out to be fine. In short, Alec is dumb as hell.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Obviously he's not gonna pin his defense on a malfunctioning gun, he's gonna say whoever's job it was to check that there are not real bullets anywhere on the set, that they not mysteriously loaded in the gun, and that even if they were, they're not handed to do actor that way, is the one at fault. Proper safety isn't to rely on the weapon functioning properly, it's to prevent an accidental discharge from being possible in the first place, and that means Alec couldn't possibly be responsible, since that all happens before the gun gets handed to him.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Infinite Karma posted:

Obviously he's not gonna pin his defense on a malfunctioning gun, he's gonna say whoever's job it was to check that there are not real bullets anywhere on the set, that they not mysteriously loaded in the gun, and that even if they were, they're not handed to do actor that way, is the one at fault. Proper safety isn't to rely on the weapon functioning properly, it's to prevent an accidental discharge from being possible in the first place, and that means Alec couldn't possibly be responsible, since that all happens before the gun gets handed to him.

Well, it *should* happen before the gun gets handed to him. Immediately beforehand, by the armorer, and where the actor can observe it under normal circumstances.
But it didn't happen. The actor took a gun from the assistant director instead and without seeing any safety check performed. There's a world of difference between playing cowboy with a gun you saw get checked out and provided by the expert hired to guarantee the guns are safe vs. playing cowboy with a gun you saw explicitly *not* get checked out and provided by the assistant director who isn't supposed to be handing you guns.

In the first case you can pretty easily claim you aren't responsible - the expert showed you the gun wasn't loaded, assured you the gun was safe, and handed it to you. Your rear end is now covered - you followed established safety procedures that should, if the armorer did their job right, guarantee that the gun is safe. It's reasonable now to assume that this gun is safe - and if the gun isn't safe you can pin it on the armorer who you and others witnessed preparing and checking the gun.

In the second case that's not true anymore. No expert showed you the gun wasn't loaded, no expert assured you it was safe, and it was handed to you by somebody unqualified to make that determination and shouldn't be foisting guns on you in the first place. By accepting the gun you did not follow any reasonable safety procedures and have seen nothing to give you any reasonable expectation, personally, that this gun is safe. Now you have a mystery gun in your hands and you're in the same position as any random person whose friend slaps a gun into their hands and tells them it's totally fine - go nuts! The reasonable thing to do here, as other actors did with this particular AD, would be to ask for the safety procedures to be followed before you play cowboy.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

That's all a solid argument against the "not my responsibility" angle, it's just a question of what the two opposing lawyers can maneuver around. If I were his lawyer, I'd argue that by hiring experts, he's admitting he doesn't know how to be responsible, and relying on the qualified people... how's he supposed to know when they're not following the procedure the experts decided was safe?

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

punishedkissinger posted:

which begs the question: why the gently caress is he doing interviews right now?

Because he's a narcissist and he's not going to listen to anyone or anything except his desperate, keening need to run his stupid loving mouth. The guy has one skill that's made him a ton of money and it's pretending to have emotions he doesn't really have, of course he's going to want to use it even if it's a bad idea.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

in_cahoots posted:

He hasn’t been sentenced, he hasn’t even been charged yet. This is much closer to the car accident scenario where admitting guilt can be taken as an admission of responsibility.

This has nothing to do with this situation but because everyone says sorry so often in Canada, saying sorry isn't an admission of guilt there.

Seems kinda neat you know?

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
Alec Baldwin Seeks to Avoid Liability in Fatal ‘Rust’ Shooting

In an arbitration demand against his fellow producers on the film, he denied culpability in the killing of a cinematographer and said he should not be held financially responsible.

Biggest news on this fiasco in months. The most interesting points to me are how friendly Mr. Hutchins and Baldwin were until their TV interviews and the contract clause Baldwin is basing his defense on.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Thorgot posted:

Alec Baldwin Seeks to Avoid Liability in Fatal ‘Rust’ Shooting

In an arbitration demand against his fellow producers on the film, he denied culpability in the killing of a cinematographer and said he should not be held financially responsible.

Biggest news on this fiasco in months. The most interesting points to me are how friendly Mr. Hutchins and Baldwin were until their TV interviews and the contract clause Baldwin is basing his defense on.

Didn't his defense lawyers already get one "completely non-bought" statement from one of the other producers that it was completely the producers fault?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
How deeply baked is the "don't even touch any gun you haven't seen be verified right in front of you" procedure? I got the impression it was some universal contract or OSHA-level rule that meant you would be culpable for any consequences even if you were in a That One Hitman Level scenario.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I mean surely that's just good sense if you're being sued over a wrongful death to never ever say you feel guilty lol

It's sociopathic at best

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You can't be successful if you aren't a sociopath

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I found this and lmao

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Kind of disappointed the thread wasn't bumped because Alec Baldwin had shot another person.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

How deeply baked is the "don't even touch any gun you haven't seen be verified right in front of you" procedure? I got the impression it was some universal contract or OSHA-level rule that meant you would be culpable for any consequences even if you were in a That One Hitman Level scenario.

I'm the OSHA inspector for guns, my job is to determine when it's safe to point a real working gun at someone and pull the trigger, AMA

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 27, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the rule on my set is that you have to put the barrel in your own mouth and pull the trigger before you’re allowed to point it at anyone else

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
why do you thiink he shot that lady?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Bad Purchase posted:

the rule on my set is that you have to put the barrel in your own mouth and pull the trigger before you’re allowed to point it at anyone else

If that was sarcasm, it shouldn't be

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

Yaldabaoth posted:

Kind of disappointed the thread wasn't bumped because Alec Baldwin had shot another person.

There was a recent story about how the DA applied for emergency budgeting to help try this case which referenced the fact that Baldwin "might" be charged, but I didn't think that warranted a thread bump.

That meme though, that's worth a million bumps.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Nooner posted:

Because he didn't want to do another take.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
It was interesting to see how much of a poo poo show this whole production was behind the scenes.

Are these things common in other smaller film projects? I mean, stuff like unsafe armory practices, lacking staff housing etc?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Rad-daddio posted:

It was interesting to see how much of a poo poo show this whole production was behind the scenes.

Are these things common in other smaller film projects? I mean, stuff like unsafe armory practices, lacking staff housing etc?

I’d say in any project of any size, negligence can occur. I mean gently caress, Twilight Zone: The Movie happened and it was a huge rear end film.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Rad-daddio posted:

Ex camera guy here: Short answer yes to all kinds of varying degrees. Worked on multimillion dollar shows and nearly been hit by stunt cars, worked on no budget films and had producers concerned about me driving after a 12 hour day. It's all down to the people. Because crew are 99% freelance it's a wild west industry (no pun intended) where the standards are set by whoever's paying your cheque for the day.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nooner posted:

alec baldwin is an insane pyschopath filled with an insatiable bloodlust op

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i really hope they seek the death penalty. baldwin has shown he is beyond rehabilitation and is a threat to all living creatures

jimmy fallon too

kntfkr fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 28, 2022

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

XTimmy posted:

Ex camera guy here: Short answer yes to all kinds of varying degrees. Worked on multimillion dollar shows and nearly been hit by stunt cars, worked on no budget films and had producers concerned about me driving after a 12 hour day. It's all down to the people. Because crew are 99% freelance it's a wild west industry (no pun intended) where the standards are set by whoever's paying your cheque for the day.

This seems like such a paradox. I read a story from a guy who was working as a grip (I think), and he recalled a time where he moved an extension cord that was taped down to the floor, and it stalled production for two hours because the cord had been taped down by a union employee from the set and it had to all be redone and the grip nearly got fired for it.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Spinz posted:

I found this and lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Rad-daddio posted:

This seems like such a paradox. I read a story from a guy who was working as a grip (I think), and he recalled a time where he moved an extension cord that was taped down to the floor, and it stalled production for two hours because the cord had been taped down by a union employee from the set and it had to all be redone and the grip nearly got fired for it.

yeah, it costs like $600 to change a lightbulb in the javitz center