Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

oh i thought of another thing that i like that GunEvo has that further differentiates it from overwatch: no counter-picking

in overwatch there were always hard counters to each character that drove people to constantly change characters mid-match and enraged people if you didn't do it right. i just wanted to play Junkrat but there'd always be a Pharah and my teammates would bitch at me for not switching.

so far in my experience no one character in GunEvo seems all that overpowered* and nobody switches mid-round to "counter" another character. and nobody has ever mentioned or suggested doing in this in the chat either.

it's nice! i can just play who i want to play without worrying that my efforts will be totally shut down just by an enemy player counter-picking me

* (with the possible exception of the Barbatos and maybe the GM Sniper, both of which can really wreak havoc on a team, especially if they know what they're doing/can aim good. but if your team can focus on keeping them suppressed this can be mitigated)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
These posts inspired me to watch a GOW2 playthrough and I had forgotten how many vehicle segments this game had

Looper posted:

tears of war 😢

Just wait until the moment when gow3 goes for the heartstrings

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gears has possibly the ugliest character models in gaming history. Rivaled only by evony ads and Fata Morgana

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
yet again this thread participates in phantom dust erasure

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Stux posted:

are oyu on coke those games are unplayably unfun

Maybe I'm just better at liking video games than you

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Jet Force Gemini is uglier and so is almost everything on the Amiga

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That bouncing ball tho

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stux posted:

pepsi

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Gears has possibly the ugliest character models in gaming history. Rivaled only by evony ads and Fata Morgana

hm....

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Rarity posted:

CARMINE

I THOUGHT YOU WERE GONNA MAKE IT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:negative:

Poor kid never had a chance.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OhFunny posted:

Poor kid never had a chance.

The fakeout before really got me :negative:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Do you still have to slam doritos and mountain dew, or at least cheap domestic bear if you play any Gears of War game? Asking for a college me

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ryukishi is epic

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Please do not slam bears, foreign or domestic, it is not safe

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/GameRant/status/1574817884496429057?t=NZivI5sIGpni--nhBmoXKw&s=19

Blizzard was already able to ban cheaters down to their hardware ID, this is just so they can sell your number.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/GameRant/status/1574817884496429057?t=NZivI5sIGpni--nhBmoXKw&s=19

Blizzard was already able to ban cheaters down to their hardware ID, this is just so they can sell your number.

wonder how easy it'll be to get a filter that'll defeat their TTS detection

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Kerrzhe posted:

oh i thought of another thing that i like that GunEvo has that further differentiates it from overwatch: no counter-picking

in overwatch there were always hard counters to each character that drove people to constantly change characters mid-match and enraged people if you didn't do it right. i just wanted to play Junkrat but there'd always be a Pharah and my teammates would bitch at me for not switching.

so far in my experience no one character in GunEvo seems all that overpowered* and nobody switches mid-round to "counter" another character. and nobody has ever mentioned or suggested doing in this in the chat either.

it's nice! i can just play who i want to play without worrying that my efforts will be totally shut down just by an enemy player counter-picking me

* (with the possible exception of the Barbatos and maybe the GM Sniper, both of which can really wreak havoc on a team, especially if they know what they're doing/can aim good. but if your team can focus on keeping them suppressed this can be mitigated)

When more people get the Marasai it'll be an auto-pick if someone on the other team is using the Sazabi.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Rarity posted:

Someone should probably tell Bryan Danielson.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The only way to play competitive games online is to turn off all communications channels, no text, no voice chat.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

When more people get the Marasai it'll be an auto-pick if someone on the other team is using the Sazabi.

marasai is another one that is potentially just a counter pick to every unit. very scary when someone knows how to use it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm trying a disco elysium replay and man, I have such a hard time not picking the same sad, rueful dialogue options I did the first time. Trying to roleplay as a big swinging dick cop but I don't want to be mean to my npc friends :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gundam Evo's gameplay ended up pretty good, too bad about everything else. Enjoying it while it lasts though

Stux posted:

Incorrect

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

gently caress, as a nier completionist I'm gonna have to play babylon's fall, and fast!!!

2 of the links in that list are already to dead websites (apparently for mobile games which have shut down)
better figure out how to get a black market copy of valkyrie anatomia and run your own private server

Waffleman_ posted:

CSGO and dota2 do the tie-your-f2p-account-to-a-phone-number thing too i think but it's just to get in a "priority queue" instead of being totally required
in addition to cheaters it also helps to avoid the people who make 10 million alts whenever they get banned for screaming the n-word

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 28, 2022

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Rarity posted:

Oh poo poo how did I misspell that

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

hot dog fingers

rox
Sep 7, 2016

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

where's Kinzo's lace headband

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

also by having their software record everything the mic picks up while you're playing they can even sell those recordings too! it's money all the way down!

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

A novel told entirely in unattributed dialogue with no discernable breaks between scenes, either diegetically or through chapters or paragraphs.

But the entire reading experience is designed to be as confused, muddled, half understood, and exhausting as modern life. So you'll be reading it the way Gaddis intended

I remember in college I had to read a book called "Flee" by Evan Dara that was kinda similar. It takes place in a dying Vermont town around the 2008 crash, and it's told entirely through a stream-of-consciousness amalgamation of the townspeople's thoughts, the amount of which lessens as the population dwindles over time.

It was actually a pretty great book once you got into it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
They should put a weiner dog in Metal Dogs

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Even though I only got to play for twoish hours last night, FFX surprised me with the sudden bonkers turn the plot took. I also got to fight the sanctuary guardian dragon and catch up with the beginning intro cutscene. All in all, this is one of the very best Final Fantasies I have played. (Granted, I have only played five of them.)

The music is really sublime and the whole turn order style of combat allowing you to essentially take out the enemies without getting hit is almost like a mini puzzle.

Truly blessed gaming occuring this year :)

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

The FFX has the most subtly groovy random battle theme in the series imo. The bass is super smooth.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VideoGames posted:

Truly blessed gaming occuring this year :)

Not since 98 have I had a gaming year where I've played such a diverse range of titles. Time of my life right here.

edit; acksplode kinda summed it up for me in a chat when he said we're in a AA gaming renaissance, prolly because covid has hosed the development workflows of AAA titles, ballooning their budgets to what might as well be called 'AAAA'

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 28, 2022

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Not since 98 have I had a gaming year where I've played such a diverse range of titles. Time of my life right here.

I am planning the numerous jRPGs for my future gaming and good lord. Depending on how the non final fantasy ones go, I could actually get a new favourite video game genre. FF7-10 have all been stunning and I have not even crossed over into the other series I have been told are great, like SMT, Persona, Chronotrigger, Xenogears, Dragon Quest, SaGa, MaNa, Suikodens, Breaths of Fire and so forth.

Between FF7-10 and Atelier Ayesha, this has been the biggest revelation of my gaming life.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FF, Dragonquest, and SMT are kinda considered the trinity of japanese rpgs, for different reasons of course.

There are gems in all three but I'd personally take Breath of Fire 3, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, and Valkyrie Profile over most of the games in those huge series.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

FF, Dragonquest, and SMT are kinda considered the trinity of japanese rpgs, for different reasons of course.

There are gems in all three but I'd personally take Breath of Fire 3, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, and Valkyrie Profile over most of the games in those huge series.

Coincidentally, three of those are planned for next year :thunk:

I think it is Breath of Fire 4 that keeps getting recommended to me, but heck I will play 1-3 as well! :) I just want to keep playing great games and there is no chance of me running out!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Coincidentally, three of those are planned for next year :thunk:

I think it is Breath of Fire 4 that keeps getting recommended to me, but heck I will play 1-3 as well! :) I just want to keep playing great games and there is no chance of me running out!

BoF II is great, III is the best, and IV is no slouch.

IV is the closest the series came to being a polished competitor to FF games, but the combat/cast aren't as strong as III imo. III has wild discotheque charm, but the questchains can be hell.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I haven't gotten deep enough into bof4 to give any real verdict on it, but dang that is one gorgeous game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
probably some of the best sprite work of that gen