Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

The casting for alicent is impressive because i didnt even notice the new actress post time skip
That's impressive face blindness even for a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

nooneofconsequence posted:

Yeah they are definitely different, but I can believe the aging which is important. They really did good physical casting.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I swear Olivia Cooke is a head taller, or at least giving a more intimidating performance, than Carey.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I love the casting. She really sells the fact that she's the same person but has spent a decade stewing in paranoia, bitterness and fear.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

neither actor change is bad but the alicent actress transition was good and believable enough that if you showed me old alicent and told me she was that girl i saw 10 years ago IRL i'd have no choice but to believe you. if you pulled that with the new rhaenerya id say, aw hell naw.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

stev posted:

I love the casting. She really sells the fact that she's the same person but has spent a decade stewing in paranoia, bitterness and fear.

much like what happened with Criston Cole, the world has failed to live up to what she believed to be true, and it's ruined her.

Like it's tough to imagine Alicent sneering "Maybe you'll get one that looks like you" to Laenor. Just like it's tough to imagine the Criston Cole of the first few episodes calling anyone -- much less Rhaenyra -- a "spoiled oval office". Both of them had these images and expectations of a young princess that were incredibly unrealistic, and when she turned out to be just another human being like anyone else it broke their hearts -- and brains.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Criston Cole has the kind of understandable resentment Monica Lewinski has for Bill Clinton more than like Nice Guy vibes.
And yeah, he was rejected, and he gave her an unrealistic offer considering she's the heir of Westeros, but it's more "Hey boss, how about we try having a real relationship instead of me being your gently caress thing under the constant threat of death or castration."

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The young princess actress has a very distinct look. She has this mouth expression which is what I call a stubborn expression, and she plays a very stubborn adolescent character. Old Rhaeneyr (god i always spell this wrong) actress reminds me of Carey Mulligan somewhat, In terms of playing a complex character.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pattonesque posted:

much like what happened with Criston Cole, the world has failed to live up to what she believed to be true, and it's ruined her.

Like it's tough to imagine Alicent sneering "Maybe you'll get one that looks like you" to Laenor. Just like it's tough to imagine the Criston Cole of the first few episodes calling anyone -- much less Rhaenyra -- a "spoiled oval office". Both of them had these images and expectations of a young princess that were incredibly unrealistic, and when she turned out to be just another human being like anyone else it broke their hearts -- and brains.

i like that alicent went through the arc that DnD tried to make sansa go through but actually well done and with out the awful rape scene and poo poo. i love how the show gets across westoros hosed up patriachle bullshit without constantly going for the rape card. least in the traditional sense.

stev posted:

this. she looks like someone prematurely aged from stress and tired bullshit and making GBS threads out kids.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's crazy how different this felt - obviously cause of the actors - but overall it just seemed so much... better? No shade to the younger actors but holy hell these new ones are so much better. Even the children were on a whole new level.

Also the lack of music throughout the entire episode made things insanely foreboding.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just watched last night. Someone please tell me what page the Aegon whacking scene reaction starts at. :lol:

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I like that the moment viserys gets new doctor he stops looking one foot in the grave despite being 10 years older.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Those kids having Strong for a dad probably did wonders for expanding that gene pool.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
I'm on team I just hope everyone has fun.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

nooneofconsequence posted:

I think they look very alike, im surprised to hear people disagree

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I really could have done without a lot of those sound effects in the first birthing scene.
This show's audio is so loving wacky. One scene's dialog will be normal-ish volume, but then the very next scene I have to crank it way up to hear what people are saying. It's like it isn't normalized scene-to-scene at all.

e: I'm watching it on the HBO Max app on AppleTV, with a Sonos 5.1 setup. I do have the "turn loving loud-rear end explosions down" since I have a kid bedroom adjacent to the living room, but that's all the volume settings I mess with.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I really could have done without a lot of those sound effects in the first birthing scene.

it's squicky but I appreciate how much this show doesn't shy away from how traumatic and horrible birth can be, especially without the benefit of modern medicine. Like these poor women are dealing with a *lot* -- Aemma dies horribly and Laena chooses fire over dying the same way --and it doesn't even end after they give birth . They make a point of showing that Rhaenyra still has a bit of a stomach bulge and her speech at the small council meeting is undermined by her lactating. Not sure any other show really does the same thing.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Phenotype posted:

I dunno, I liked this scene and thought it was a reasonable fear. He's still a threat to Rhaenyra's matrilineal succession even if all he wants to do is drip semen on the heads of any unfortunate passersby, because despite whatever proclamation Viserys made back when he was worried he wouldn't have a male child, everyone still expects Viserys's firstborn son to become the next king. Even if he doesn't personally have any interest in it, Rhaenyra will recognize him as a threat regardless, and there's always the possibility of someone more cunning using him as a figurehead to destabilize their reign. It was probably a good call to get her doofus son to realize what a potentially dangerous position he'll be in.

Following it logically though it means that Rhaenyra and her kids are a similar threat to his succession and he should be murdering his family (which is absolutely the situation she is comfortable with).

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Finally caught up on the last episode. Alicent’s shock over the death of the Strong guys seemed over the top. It made me think she thought the kids died too or something. Just seemed a lit out of character for someone who had been cruel to others through the episode.

Anyway, very good start to the second half of the season. Show is good at ramping up the tension. Alicent and Rhaenyra both look like they’re on the verge of having mental breakdowns from all the scheming and worry of the succession.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Finally caught up on the last episode. Alicent’s shock over the death of the Strong guys seemed over the top. It made me think she thought the kids died too or something. Just seemed a lit out of character for someone who had been cruel to others through the episode.

I think it was more her realizing that she is getting what she wanted unless she turns Larys in for his crime...and realizing that she is not going to do it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
She realized that her harmless friend and confidante at court is actually bugfuck nuts and has designs upon her like everyone else

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If I gossiped about someone to a friend and the next day they told me they'd burned their house down with them inside I'd be a bit freaked tbh ngl

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I just found out Olivia Cooke was the girlfriend in Sound of Metal. Riz Ahmed and the dude who played the deaf counselor got most of the attention, but she was seriously amazing in it. I liked her in this episode before I found that out, but now I'm really looking forward to seeing more of her. Emma D'arcy was great too, it's just good casting all around.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like that alicent went through the arc that DnD tried to make sansa go through but actually well done and with out the awful rape scene and poo poo. i love how the show gets across westoros hosed up patriachle bullshit without constantly going for the rape card. least in the traditional sense.

I'm rewatching GOT and just finished S4 and god I'm so mad at DnD. Sansa gets right to the point where she's going to start being a player in the game, she knows she can manipulate Littlefinger better than he can, and then DnD immediately throw her into stupid Ramsay rape prison that we know doesn't even happen in the books because it's already happening to an entirely different character. So loving dumb.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

It kinda felt like someone who had fallen into playing this drama like a game because the consequences right now were just spite between her and Rhaenyra but suddenly there are real consequences and her "side" was the one that escalated it. It think it was a more extreme version of what happened with Rhaenyra when she overhead the Strongs talking about the scandal, a sudden realization this game has consequences that were starting to get real.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 28, 2022

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
You answered:

stev posted:

If I gossiped about someone to a friend and the next day they told me they'd burned their house down with them inside I'd be a bit freaked tbh ngl

INCORRECT

The CORRECT answer is: say “bros 4 life” and fistbump them before putting the kettle on.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

wilderthanmild posted:

It kinda felt like someone who had fallen into playing this drama like a game because the consequences right now were just spite between her and Rhaenyra but suddenly there are real consequences and her "side" was the one that escalated it. It think it was a more extreme version of what happened with Rhaenyra when she overhead the Strongs talking about the scandal, a sudden realization this game has consequences that were starting to get real.

yeah she's been terrified for a full decade that this whole thing is life or death, and now it's actually happening and it's like she's facing real combat after years of simulators

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

I feel where Alicent is coming from, her kids are going to be lightening rods for all kinds of opposition once Rhaenyra ascends. From traditionalists who fell a first born son is the rightfull monarch, to other nobles with eyes, who see the line being handed over to not only a woman, but one with bastard children who will inherent. Daddy Hightower is right, Rhaenyra would do well to eliminate them, simply from a practical harsh reality of maintaining the crown.

The conflict was coming, but as others in the thread have said Alicent just drew first blood.

Ubersandwich fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 28, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tender Bender posted:

I'm rewatching GOT and just finished S4 and god I'm so mad at DnD. Sansa gets right to the point where she's going to start being a player in the game, she knows she can manipulate Littlefinger better than he can, and then DnD immediately throw her into stupid Ramsay rape prison that we know doesn't even happen in the books because it's already happening to an entirely different character. So loving dumb.

Yeah but instead she wore tight black clothes and stared at frozen landscapes. That’s pretty much the same, right? Some of it was even leather.

Girl power.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

It’s hard to weigh team Alicent va team Rhaenyra because we have no idea what Rhaenyra is thinking re her half brothers. I feel like most people are assuming she’s just going to ignore the issue which seems naive.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah but instead she wore tight black clothes and stared at frozen landscapes. That’s pretty much the same, right? Some of it was even leather.

Girl power.

yeah but she looked bad rear end as gently caress and really that's all That matters in life

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It was even worse because they started talking about a "Dark Sansa" arc where she was going to use all she learned to get ahead.

Then the next season happened

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

runaway dog posted:

yeah but she looked bad rear end as gently caress and really that's all That matters in life

PRESTIGE TV MOTHERFUCKERS

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm so mad it's James Corden, but I love Paddy so much. I never even heard of him before HOTD but I love my dying goon king who just wants to build his legos and be happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UatZD6v_gIQ

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

By the way, I know people mocked the Ten Good Criminals way Harrenhal burned down. But it struck me that Larys is literally from there so he’s definitely able to facilitate the whole plot. I think that’s why they ended up wearing his lapel pin too? It probably gave them access to the castle, to the extent that a burned out castle has much in the way of security.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I haven't read the book, but regarding the chess moves between team Rhaenyra and team Alicent, both of them should try to engage their oldest sons to the most power house in Westeros, so probably the oldest daughter of Hot D and House Lannister if Jason has a daughter.

Also team Rhaenyra is missing a consigliere character, for exposition purpose.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Vegetable posted:

By the way, I know people mocked the Ten Good Criminals way Harrenhal burned down. But it struck me that Larys is literally from there so he’s definitely able to facilitate the whole plot. I think that’s why they ended up wearing his lapel pin too? It probably gave them access to the castle, to the extent that a burned out castle has much in the way of security.

That’s…actually legit a good point and makes it far less stupid.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I never read F&B part 1 cause I knew GRRM wouldn't finish the story, so this is all a surprise to me. I like it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Starks posted:

It’s hard to weigh team Alicent va team Rhaenyra because we have no idea what Rhaenyra is thinking re her half brothers. I feel like most people are assuming she’s just going to ignore the issue which seems naive.

She tried to directly address it in the previous episode by attempting to betroth her oldest son to Alicent's oldest daughter. Which would have probably solved the issue pretty neatly but Alicent is insanely paranoid and prideful and sees it as a plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Starks posted:

[templing fingers sagely] the notion of team alicent v. rhaenerya is an intentionally faulty premise that even the most toothless yokel peasant within the narrative rejects, which was born from the fact that every single noble is traumatized by the unnaturalness of their lot in life and seeks to inflict trauma upon others in turn