Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Xiahou Dun posted:

Slightly sad, but also it's politicians reacting to a real problem and at least nominally doing something about it so uh yeah, no, do more of that, folks.

Also I bet they're not mad about getting an extra few days to tighten up the presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

And a few more days to get Coup Jenni to testify, maybe.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Seems the longest sentence has been 10yr (with 7yr in second place). Numbers in the low to mid hundreds. Around half are ending up in prison, juries aren't buying the defense, judges mostly aren't either. 14% of participants with military/law enforcement background.

More at https://www.npr.org/2021/02/09/965472049/the-capitol-siege-the-arrested-and-their-stories which is staying updated.

ps Why is sentencing five months later? I know it's a separate hearing but why so long?

pps This is the "same legal system" I want for Mr PeachPeach. Arrested February 2021, been in jail since then, verdict today, sentence 2yr after arrest. I'll bet if T was in jail he'd spend a lot less time trying to impede the court system.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 28, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like Dearie took a direct shot at the Chudge for placing restrictions on his ability to issue interim reports

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1574845012029890562

And of course nobody wants to deal with Trump
https://twitter.com/joshuajfriedman/status/1574885275322425421?cxt=HHwWmoGx2Yr0jtsrAAAA

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Does "pay your own court fees" really means the vendor bills Trump directly?? That seems insane, why wouldn't the court pay for the service and include that in Trump's penalties and fees when the case is over?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Does "pay your own court fees" really means the vendor bills Trump directly?? That seems insane, why wouldn't the court pay for the service and include that in Trump's penalties and fees when the case is over?

Penalties? Trump is the plaintiff here.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Trump is suing for the right to have a SM, which he is paying for himself. The SM wants some help on the classified documents, which Trump would also have to pay for since it's part of the SM operation.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Ahh somehow that got lost on me, I thought the special master was afforded as part of his defense of the FBI raid.

So what happens if I sue the DOJ but then can't afford it? Does the judge say "that sucks, no more special master for you"? Or does this just cause further delay until they find some sucker willing to do the work for free

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

No one knows because only Trump is getting the benefit of this made-up process.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

yronic heroism posted:

No one knows because only Trump is getting the benefit of this made-up process.

Yeah usually when criminal charges haven’t even been filed you don’t get to sue to try and get your bank robbery cash and meth back.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

deathbysnusnu posted:

Yeah usually when criminal charges haven’t even been filed you don’t get to sue to try and get your bank robbery cash and meth back.

Unless it's been like, years, and you still haven't gotten any charges. Then you're getting into due process territory.

But Trump is nowhere near that.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ahh somehow that got lost on me, I thought the special master was afforded as part of his defense of the FBI raid.

So what happens if I sue the DOJ but then can't afford it? Does the judge say "that sucks, no more special master for you"? Or does this just cause further delay until they find some sucker willing to do the work for free

For you? They tell you to bugger off until the statute of limitations has expired and then. If you want, you can sue to get your stuff back assuming you can afford it.

Trump gets a special magical process that lets him pick over the evidence against him for things he’d like them not to have because that’s how things are when you’re the god king.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Normally if you try to press a claim that the documents you had illegally were mixed up with your personal documents your attorney tells you to shut the gently caress up

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The special master is completely optional. This case normally wouldn't have one at all, and it wouldn't be some vast miscarriage of justice if he didn't have one. Trump was the one who demanded to have one, and he agreed to pay for it.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's understandable that it got lost on you because the whole thing is loving dumb.

The raid was authorized under probable cause for criminal charges. Trump then sued in civil court (in a different district that doesn't actually have jurisdiction) for a return of those documents. He's not the defense in the civil case, but rather the plaintiff. This only worked because Judge Cannon is making things up as she goes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, it can't be said enough - the FBI raided Trump's property and he sued in court with the literal argument "The FBI can't investigate me for crimes! Make them stop investigating my crimes!" and the judge said :hmmyes: and told the FBI to stop investigating and the FBI had to appeal to say "of course we can investigate him for crimes." That is literally what happened.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

I will like to point out the line: "Based of applicable procurement regulations, the government is not able to select and engage a vendor before tomorrow."
"give us one(1) day" as opposed to not responding for two weeks.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Jan 6
The book
Oct 18
Seems they'll be releasing all the transcripts and poo poo after its all over.
https://www.amazon.com/January-6-Report-6th-Committee/dp/0063315505

Other versions here.
https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripboo...yline_sr_book_1
Guessing the forward is different?
Or has each news persons snippets of what went on.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I think I'll wait for the Obamas' eventual Netflix series

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

OgNar posted:

Jan 6
The book
Oct 18
Seems they'll be releasing all the transcripts and poo poo after its all over.
https://www.amazon.com/January-6-Report-6th-Committee/dp/0063315505

Other versions here.
https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripboo...yline_sr_book_1
Guessing the forward is different?
Or has each news persons snippets of what went on.

Didn’t they do that with the Starr report? A bunch of people published the free report with different forwards and the like?

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Silly Burrito posted:

Didn’t they do that with the Starr report? A bunch of people published the free report with different forwards and the like?

I think they did.

If the reports being published the 18th of October, they're hearings are probably going to be sometime next week.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

KillHour posted:

Yeah, it can't be said enough - the FBI raided Trump's property and he sued in court with the literal argument "The FBI can't investigate me for crimes! Make them stop investigating my crimes!" and the judge said :hmmyes: and told the FBI to stop investigating and the FBI had to appeal to say "of course we can investigate him for crimes." That is literally what happened.

Can't be investigated because the idea that he might be indicted is causing irreparable harm, to boot.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Don't forget all the potential political violence that could spontaneously occur if he was indicted and incited political violence.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Silly Burrito posted:

The 9/11 report as well

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

mobby_6kl posted:

Opening Arguments is quite good IMO. They were a bit optimistic during the Mueller investigation but lately Andrew's been pretty spot on with e.g. how the 11th Circuit isn't going to buy Trump's bullshit even though it's a conservative court, etc. https://openargs.com/

Thanks

Fuschia tude posted:

There's also Cleanup on Aisle 45 which also includes said Andrew. The other co-host was even more optimistic about Mueller, but she's also a big policy nerd, and the two shows generally focus on different aspects of the news even if they often cover the same story. https://mswmedia.com/show/clean-up-on-aisle-45/

I’m a bit wary of this one because it seems like the co host you’re talking about is the Mueller She Wrote(?) podcaster and even at the time the hosts on there seemed like they were injecting hopium straight into their veins.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

mdemone posted:

I enjoy that the turnaround time there is supposed to be two business *hours* from the time of subpoena, lmao

"The deadline is asap so you can't meet with Trump and his lawyers and get your stories straight."

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Red posted:

"The deadline is asap so you can't meet with Trump and his lawyers and get your stories straight."

It's like when my kids get in trouble, they'll glance at each other for cues.

"No no, don't look at your brother, look at me, I'm the one you need to worry about right now"

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Slightly sad, but also it's politicians reacting to a real problem and at least nominally doing something about it so uh yeah, no, do more of that, folks.

There's also the cold media calculus of not wanting an unrelated big news event happening at the same time as your Trump Crimes Feature Film. It was scheduled relatively early, which means leaning even more heavily on the 24/hr news media repeating whatever you present over and over again, preferably for the next few days/week. Hurricane Ian literally drowning Florida would figuratively drown out anything the committee presented on the news (and also ensure that most of Florida can't even see the hearing in the first place).

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Thanks

I’m a bit wary of this one because it seems like the co host you’re talking about is the Mueller She Wrote(?) podcaster and even at the time the hosts on there seemed like they were injecting hopium straight into their veins.

The Mueller She Wrote lady is a fed, incapable of accepting contrary evidence, a PPP loan scammer and a lovely boss who took all the money and paid her coworkers peanuts. Avoid at all costs.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

FizFashizzle posted:

Don't forget all the potential political violence that could spontaneously occur if he was indicted and incited political violence.
So you're saying that a person who has committed crimes, who was lawfully subpoenaed for those crimes, who ignored/avoided/fled the subpoena, and was later shown to have illegal property after a lawful court order for search and seizure, and who may be able to engage in a furtherance of such criminal activity before the trial, should be...

Detained. In. Jail.

Why yes, that would be one legal system for managing things. poo poo, we seem to have two different legal systems.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

selec posted:

The Mueller She Wrote lady is a fed, incapable of accepting contrary evidence, a PPP loan scammer and a lovely boss who took all the money and paid her coworkers peanuts. Avoid at all costs.

Really? I hadn't read up much about AG. I do find her somewhat annoying and Muller she wrote was a lot of hopium to handle. Opening Args is good, I listen to Cleanup from time to time to mostly hear Andrew's take on things.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
So the eleven thousand things from the search and seizure, apparently the number is two hundred thousand pages of documents. https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763.123.0.pdf this is mostly plantiff whining that their proposed schedule is realistic and the government is a bunch of fools, but they reference the new number in claiming intricate experience and knowledge that no document vendor can possibly deliver on the current timeframes (and of course this must be why all the vendors refused).

They also use the chance to badmouth the privileged review team, claim one example is attorney-client privileged despite being reported as non-privileged, oh and the inventory has been updated so won't the special master please order the big bad government to reveal the names of every government agent involved.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If your legal argument involves admitting that you have hundreds of thousands of pages of sensitive and/or classified national records, you should probably find a different argument.

Edit: I'm the lawyer putting a loving outlook.com email address on a court filing.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 29, 2022

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Silly Burrito posted:

I got my copy of the Mueller report that way from a local bookstore. It was put together by WaPo and had a bunch of other court docs attached to it as appendices.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ive already preordered my copy of The Jan 6 Proceedings with a special forward by Getfiscal.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

KillHour posted:

If your legal argument involves admitting that you have hundreds of thousands of pages of sensitive and/or classified national records, you should probably find a different argument.

Edit: I'm the lawyer putting a loving outlook.com email address on a court filing.

I'm the lawyer who was already a registered foreign agent of Venezuela and got paid $3M to not be able to join the case because I'm not allowed to even know what the documents are.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/alivitali/status/1575483141187571714

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

"Wife of SCOTUS justice charged with contempt of Congress" is the last square on my hell world bingo card.

gregday
May 23, 2003

That should be clearer; she ignored the questions of the reporter while walking in. She’s currently in with congress now and it remains to be seen if she ignores their questions too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
^^ beat me to it, thanks!

Ignored questions from the press, right? Nobody would know how she responded to the committee yet.