Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

bedpan posted:

pretty much. they were always bad, have gotten worse, and know they will outlive any and all consequences.

But enough about Adam and Nima!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
The Kids Are All Right :unsmith:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Sad there's no :smugissar: for :unsmith:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

evilpicard posted:

But enough about Adam and Nima!

drat

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

there's nothing more pathetic than millenials whining about how they can't overthrow a bunch of elderly boomers and take power for themselves

What's the point in naming your daughter Khalesea if you don't have a plan to take all your dad's poo poo?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

bedpan posted:

because being ruled gerontocracy who have only grown more grasping and vicious with age is in fact good and in claiming otherwise you are "anti-politics," stigmatizing old age, and ignoring the "more profound vectors of oppression such as class, racism, sexism, and anti-LGBTQ currents."

actually it is very important not to stigmatize old age

such discriminatory language is quite damaging esp when it's applied to historically marginalized groups who are discriminated against by age that are now protected by the federal government, such as millennials

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

slave to my cravings posted:

all old people suck rear end

I won't stand for this anti-willa sentiment

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

projecthalaxy posted:

Yeah boomers cap out at age 67 currently, theyve got 10 years before they can be presidents or speakers

pelosi was born during the war so she's only a few years too old to count

boomers are the majority of congress now, and have been for awhile

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

studio mujahideen posted:

the endpoint of generation war stuff is cringe The Zoomers Will Save Us and nobody wants that

There is no endpoint of generation wars.

It's just an endless cycle of one generation realizing that effecting change is difficult and uncomfortable and declaring that actually, the next generation will be the one to save us. Meanwhile, the next generation declares that the previous generation is the source of all life's problems and that they know what needs to be changed - for as long as it takes for them to realize that effecting change is difficult and uncomfortable, at least.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
It's not necessarily just that they're old, it's that this group of people was also running poo poo in their 50s... and 60s... and now they're 70 and 80 years old and it's like okay can we just get altogether new people, we don't need to take it any further. Dianne Feinstein is the final evolution of everyone in Washington

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Weembles posted:

There is no endpoint of generation wars.

It's just an endless cycle of one generation realizing that effecting change is difficult and uncomfortable and declaring that actually, the next generation will be the one to save us. Meanwhile, the next generation declares that the previous generation is the source of all life's problems and that they know what needs to be changed - for as long as it takes for them to realize that effecting change is difficult and uncomfortable, at least.

lol this is some biotruth determinism

generations didn't even "exist' until like 1940. the entire structure of how we think of generations is barely 2 'generations' old

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Xaris posted:

generations didn't even "exist' until like 1940. the entire structure of how we think of generations is barely 2 'generations' old

You realize that the elderly complaining about a pretty specific set of flaws in the youths of their day and the youth's contempt for their elders is as old as recorded history, right?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Futanari Damacy posted:

Dianne Feinstein is the final evolution of everyone in Washington

Her insulting all of the elementary school climate activists is a great moment in american history

quote:

Children: We are trying to ask you to vote yes on the "Green New Deal".

Dianne: Okay, I'll tell you what: we have our own "Green New Deal" piece of legislation

Children: We are trying to promote the "Green New Deal"

Dianne: Well there are reasons why I can't, because there is no way to pay for it. That's the big reason.

Children: Yes there is. We have tons of money. A lot of money is going to the military.

Children: We have come to a point where our Earth is dying. Literally. And it is going to be a pricey and ambitious plan that is needed to deal with the magnitude of the issue, and so we're here asking you to vote yes on the resolution for the "Green New Deal," because that is the only thing that. . .

Dianne: That resolution will not pass the senate.

Dianne: And you can take that back to whoever sent you here.

quote:

Dianne: You know what's interesting about this group?

Dianne: I've been doing this for 30 years. I know what I'm doing.

She says more but I had to stop because I was getting too mad

bedpan has issued a correction as of 02:52 on Sep 27, 2022

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

bedpan posted:

Her insulting all of the elementary school climate activists is a great moment in american history

Not just that! The loving paper going to bat for her calling the kids jackbooted tots :wtc:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

She's right

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

new bein ian stays winning

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dianne Feinstein gave those children one hell of a lesson in power and electoralism

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I wonder how many of those children will vote for her when she runs for reelection?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

The words for it may change over time, but the cycle of "let's burn it all down! -> ow, my back hurts and the rent is due -> the kids are going to burn it all down!" is eternal.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
logan's run had the right idea, i think i'll be done in 3 years

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Xaris posted:

who taught you those words

put them away until you know what they mean

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Freedie deBoer, probably.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Big Freedia DeBoer

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

New TrueAnon thing is good, though unpleasant to listen to given the subject matter.

The roots of stuff like SynAnon are a large reason why I've always felt uncomfortable with stuff like NA. It has always felt to me like there's a fine line between "seeking community/advice from other addicts" and "cult-like social patterns emerging as addicts kinda drive each other insane."

In my personal experience, attending frequent meetings just caused me to relapse constantly from the stress of having my life revolve around the addiction like that. I imagine it can genuinely be helpful if someone has difficulty escaping environments intertwined with their addiction - if all your friends and/or family use, it would help to be able to have a separate community where that isn't the case (and who can reinforce sobriety). But that was never the case for me - it was always a purely solitary thing, and getting involved in the Addiction Community(tm) just made me feel like I was falling deeper into that poo poo, rather than escaping it. The answer being sold to me was basically "permanently identifying as a Recovering Addict." Once I finally got a suboxone doctor who didn't require that stuff and just prescribed me the medication, I completely stopped relapsing. Different things are probably better for different people, but most people with opinions on addiction treatment tend to be pretty dogmatic about it (since it's often - sometimes literally - like "finding religion" for them).

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lol try guys is breaking up because the guy cheated on his wife with a staff member

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

New TrueAnon thing is good, though unpleasant to listen to given the subject matter.

The roots of stuff like SynAnon are a large reason why I've always felt uncomfortable with stuff like NA. It has always felt to me like there's a fine line between "seeking community/advice from other addicts" and "cult-like social patterns emerging as addicts kinda drive each other insane."

In my personal experience, attending frequent meetings just caused me to relapse constantly from the stress of having my life revolve around the addiction like that. I imagine it can genuinely be helpful if someone has difficulty escaping environments intertwined with their addiction - if all your friends and/or family use, it would help to be able to have a separate community where that isn't the case (and who can reinforce sobriety). But that was never the case for me - it was always a purely solitary thing, and getting involved in the Addiction Community(tm) just made me feel like I was falling deeper into that poo poo, rather than escaping it. The answer being sold to me was basically "permanently identifying as a Recovering Addict." Once I finally got a suboxone doctor who didn't require that stuff and just prescribed me the medication, I completely stopped relapsing. Different things are probably better for different people, but most people with opinions on addiction treatment tend to be pretty dogmatic about it (since it's often - sometimes literally - like "finding religion" for them).

What's that achewood comic that's like "it's a framework for recovery that makes no allowance for actually being recovered, I sure am excited to be judged as an incurable loser the rest of my life for something I don't even do anymore" because that summed up my experience of AA perfectly

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

lol try guys is breaking up because the guy cheated on his wife with a staff member

I keep seeing this. Why does it mean. What is a "try guy"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Xaris posted:

quote:

He is married to Ariel Fulmer (née VandeVoorde), an interior designer, and they have two children together, a son named Wesley James "Wes" Fulmer (b. 2018)and a second son named Finley "Finn" Fulmer (b. 2020). The Verge highlighted that much of Fulmer's "public persona revolves around being a husband" and that he "successfully built a fanbase and brand around this relationship specifically". On September 27, 2022, it was announced that Fulmer would no longer be working with the group following an internal review regarding an extramarital affair with a employee.

no idea who these people are but lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

literally never heard of this before. let's speculate who the cheater is off the pic

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

some plague rats posted:

I keep seeing this. Why does it mean. What is a "try guy"

They're fpur guys who started on Buzzfeed and then got their own YouTube channel and accrued hundreds of millions of views doing things like trying to learn various jobs in one day or building ikea furniture without the instructions

i say swears online posted:

literally never heard of this before. let's speculate who the cheater is off the pic

2nd from left

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jesus christ it's like someone carved mt rushmore out of soy

also uh middle left is my guess. bad vibes

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

projecthalaxy posted:

They're fpur guys who started on Buzzfeed and then got their own YouTube channel and accrued hundreds of millions of views doing things like trying to learn various jobs in one day or building ikea furniture without the instructions

lol this sounds loving awful

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

far right, easy

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

some plague rats posted:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

some plague rats posted:

lol this sounds loving awful

It's okay or used to be at least i haven't watched in a couple years. A thing to half watch on YouTube. And yeah like the article said Ned (the fired try guy) very much built himself as a wife guy, family man, notably didn't smoke weed on the smoking weed episode, etc

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the try my wife pod

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Absolutely the psychopath on the right

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

projecthalaxy posted:

Don't they also do the do those videos where they try a cheap, medium, and super expensive version of af ood item? All of them get millions of views. Lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

some plague rats posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
haha wow look at this guy try to build an ikea coffee table. I bet he says some fun swears when he can’t figure it out