Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Dik Hz posted:

This is not normal and is highly unprofessional. Your manager is poo poo.
Yeah that's loving bullshit, you're going to do much better at a less lovely company Morand. You just got unlucky. Post that resume!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Morand posted:

Thank you all for your kind replies. It means a lot.

I’m seeing my Doctor tonight about getting on some type of medication in regards to the ADD. There was a “check in” meeting that my entire team save me had today which was clearly about me. I wasn’t immediately fired after it so progress? I was given a bunch of tasks today too I was able to do without issue so I at least had a decent day and feel better then I have.

If anyone is able to give resume tips or willing to do a quick review with me I’d be very appreciative. I definitely need to revamp it I think.

USA specific advice:
This smells like a PIP. 100% have been there bud.

Here's a checklist for today/tomorrow:
- get with that doctor
- :justpost: that resume on here
- along with your resume, tell us in one sentence 2 or 3 specific options for what comes next. Same job, diff company? New career? School?
- decide today if you wanna seek an ADA accommodation to secure some extra time. (IANAL, this is not guaranteed to work)
- apply for 3 jobs
- create a basic LinkedIn, don't have to do the whole thing just get it started if you haven't already

For later depending on what you decide:
- If you wanna go the do you'll want to do a free consult with an employment attorney. If you don't know one I'm happy to help via PM. IANAL but I work with and have hired several labor and employment attorneys. Interviewed ~100 of them.
- minimum effort to not get fired, all other time on what comes next. Apply for poo poo while at work. Make sure to use your browsers form filling capabilities so you can apply to stuff much faster.
- Make your Linkedin good, add lots of recruiters, take advantage of LinkedIn's and Indeed's easy apply features to get those application numbers up

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
I've been casually looking for new positions for around the past nine months on and off due to currently being underpaid based on market value. I don't think it is worth my time or effort to ask for a raise despite liking my department and promotions aren't going to happen because I had to move. They allow me to be remote, while most of the team is at least hybrid.

Current problem is while I have no problem getting interviews, or second/final interviews, I can't seem to make it over the hump to getting an offer. I interview well enough I suppose but the thing I hear back frequently is they just had a candidate with more experience or more qualified. If that is the case, it is just simply that I am "good enough" for these roles but not the all star candidate? It is confusing to me since in my current role of 3.5 years I was the first employee for a recruitment department that my well known billion dollar company determined to create and I built our systems and processes that make the thing run, and it's been an overwhelming success for us. I also have interviewed a number of people for other roles and it is like management will take anyone they can get with a pulse. I realize I am trying to get into the upper echelon money (100k+) so in theory it should be tougher, but it is still discouraging since it keeps happening. What can I do to get over this final interview hump?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah for morand i'll reiterate that even if you somehow survive the process you really don't wanna be working there

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

UnleashedDad posted:

Current problem is while I have no problem getting interviews, or second/final interviews, I can't seem to make it over the hump to getting an offer. I interview well enough I suppose but the thing I hear back frequently is they just had a candidate with more experience or more qualified. If that is the case, it is just simply that I am "good enough" for these roles but not the all star candidate?

A sizable percentage of the time it's because they knew who they were hiring before they posted the position. Unfortunately and unfairly, if you're something other than straight white under-50 male you're extra liable to get plenty of interviews but few offers, it helps HR tick their boxes before hiring the director's crony.

In any case there's nothing you can do about externalities. All you can do is improve yourself as much as possible. Every interview is another golden opportunity to sharpen your interviewing skills, so just keep at it.

Re: Morand:

CarForumPoster posted:

This smells like a PIP. 100% have been there bud.

A PIP isn't ambiguous. Either he was given a PIP and ordered to sign it, or not. Either way though it seems abundantly clear the company wants him gone to make room for Nicky Nepotism, and apparently they're raging assholes so they're also working on a case to deny him severance/unemployment if he refuses to quit. Tragicomically, in the U.S. there's nothing illegal about telling an employee "we're letting you go because we want to give your position to a nepotism hire" but you'd have to pay severance/unemployment to do it, and they're trying to avoid that. Because they're assholes.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 27, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

UnleashedDad posted:

I've been casually looking for new positions for around the past nine months on and off due to currently being underpaid based on market value. I don't think it is worth my time or effort to ask for a raise despite liking my department and promotions aren't going to happen because I had to move. They allow me to be remote, while most of the team is at least hybrid.

Current problem is while I have no problem getting interviews, or second/final interviews, I can't seem to make it over the hump to getting an offer. I interview well enough I suppose but the thing I hear back frequently is they just had a candidate with more experience or more qualified. If that is the case, it is just simply that I am "good enough" for these roles but not the all star candidate? It is confusing to me since in my current role of 3.5 years I was the first employee for a recruitment department that my well known billion dollar company determined to create and I built our systems and processes that make the thing run, and it's been an overwhelming success for us. I also have interviewed a number of people for other roles and it is like management will take anyone they can get with a pulse. I realize I am trying to get into the upper echelon money (100k+) so in theory it should be tougher, but it is still discouraging since it keeps happening. What can I do to get over this final interview hump?

Most important to understand is an interview is not a graded test, it's a competition and you don't get to see the competitors. You might be going up against an internal hire, or a VP's nephew, or a legit superstar. You might be going against a bunch of morons. You don't know! The fact that your getting to the final interviews is a good sign, and if they are reaching out to let you know indicates its not like a failed background check or something (they usually ghost you), but maybe give some thought if that might be the problem and how you can address it.

So you could do everything right and not get an offer because you came in 2nd place. If you'd like better advice, maybe post some of the job descriptions and your resume and we can maybe point out if there are any gaps that might need tightening. I'm guessing you just need to keep plugging away.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

You can also come in first place and still not get the job. Maybe the company lost a series of funding but doesn’t want to let it’s current employees know by freezing hiring. Note: this actually happened to me on both ends.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
One of the most insulting things that has ever happened to me is being told that I wasn't "technically strong enough" for a role only to find out that they were actually just waiting on government grants to actually get poo poo started. I've since been approached by recruiters for the company several times and each time told them why I won't work for them without a cash apology.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dik Hz posted:

You can also come in first place and still not get the job. Maybe the company lost a series of funding but doesn’t want to let it’s current employees know by freezing hiring. Note: this actually happened to me on both ends.

Yeah, also a really good point. This is the weirdest the economy's been in at least a decade, maybe more. Companies are vacillating wildly between "We need to grow to take advantage of the hot market" and "We need to cut costs!". The role they are hiring for one week might not be available the next week.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
I did speak to an employment lawyer. I was told that what is happening to me is “immoral” but not illegal and I did not have a case.

I have an appointment with my therapist tonight and will work on redacting my resume for posting then.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
My resume with details changed

https://imgur.com/a/guFsIbp

https://imgur.com/a/qo4RZXe

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Get your ADA status sorted and start documenting stuff for a constructive dismissal. It might change what the lawyer thinks. Alternatively check with a better lawyer.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I bet you could get this down to a 1 pager. You're repeating yourself a lot and using a lot of words when you could just rely on your bullet points. For example, you mention Ccure 800/9000 three times on the first page.

I would try to get rid of your first two sections, then get rid of all the paragraph-style summaries under each job, and incorporate your keywords into the bullet points.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

If my colleagues disagree, I will defer to them, but I feel pretty strongly about some of these. Mostly in order.
  • Get rid of your executive summary. It's a waste of space.
  • Get rid of the lines describing what the departments you worked in did. You're not giving a hiring manager a resume talking up your previous department. You're giving a hiring manager your resume talking up you. The hiring manager doesn't care that the department saw a crime decrease of 75% unless you personally were responsible for that decrease
  • Your mix of high level narrative and bullets is weird. Tell me what you accomplished. Pick a narrative style or bullet list, not both (pick a bullet list)
  • There's a shortage of quantitative data in your first page. Do you have access to any? Can you make up plausible lies? How big were the large scale financial clients you worked for? Did you have better KPIs than other people on your team? Did you do anything around efficiency that saved time or money? Quantitative data is your friend.
  • You have a mix of past and present tense. The only present tense should be in your current job, if that. I personally prefer past tense everywhere. But your public safety job shouldnt say "Serve..." and "Perform..." since you are no longer in that job.
  • You could strengthen your action verbs in your bullets. "Responsible for maintenance" is pretty weak compared to "Maintained" which is pretty weak compared to "SME for metric database" or whatever.
  • You've got some quantitative data on the second page, after the hiring manager has already lost interest, but it doesnt stand out. "from days to hours" may be true, but its not punchy and it gets lost in the narrative. "Reduced programming time on [thing] by 4000% by refactoring code base" is better than what you have.
  • Same for "1000's to 10's", which is both not punchy and is offensive to my grammar sense.
  • Your first real IT job takes up more space than the job you spent almost a decade at. The hiring manager is giving you a mental side eye right now, wondering why after 9 years, you don't have that much to talk about compared to 3 years at babby's first IT job
  • First job out of college is completely irrelevant to your IT career. Drop it. Your resume is a marketing document, not an encylopedic history of your employment.
  • Your resume is a marketing document, not an encylopedic history of your employment.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

If my colleagues disagree, I will defer to them, but I feel pretty strongly about some of these.

Yep, I'm good with these. I'd actually suggest a start over, maybe a different format since you seem to be struggling using this format. Some quick hits:

-Probably should be a 1 pager
-You are mixing up your skills, experience and certifications. Those should all be clear and easily identifiable
-You are including skills and experience that have nothing to do with (what I assume) is the job you want to get
-Don't say "High End Support", it sounds like it's Level 3. Call it level 3.
-I assume you want another DB Support role? Then that job should have a lot of real estate, the security system thing should have a much smaller footprint, and the IT support role should be much smaller (maybe touch on documentation, customer service, maybe training)

It's pretty clear this resume has been in use for over a decade and you just keep adding stuff to it and I think that is probably hurting you overall.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Happiness Commando has said basically everything I'd have said about Action Words and bullets, so I'd like to see a revision with it a lot more punchy.

One thing I wanted to add is that typically in the US you put your graduation/completion date with your education and certificates. Also, either abbreviate BA and BS or don't. It's not a domain specific term; they will know what a BA is. You are correct to de-emphasize education generally by putting it at the end, but my impression that it is still a box that places want to tick so it has to be included.

So, something like:

My Resume posted:

STAIRS UNIVERSITY – Hell, MO
Bachelor of Arts in Basket Weaving, May 1983
Bachelor of Arts in Stupidity Management, 1981

I have it side by side with an Additional Skills section with fluff like "fast learner" but that's because my degrees are pretty old so not super relevant, so that helps de-emphasize them amongst some other fluff.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Does anyone have any advice on getting inbound linkedin traffic? I followed some guides but nothing seems to have been made since 2019. It’s obvious that you get farther from people seeking you out, but I retooled, fixing stuff up, added keywords, and went from five weekly views to 20.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

Does anyone have any advice on getting inbound linkedin traffic? I followed some guides but nothing seems to have been made since 2019. It’s obvious that you get farther from people seeking you out, but I retooled, fixing stuff up, added keywords, and went from five weekly views to 20.

:justpost:

Interacting with stuff on your feed will show up on others' feeds. Even just liking things. The best way is to write broetry, or just write about stuff you're working on or what you've learned.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
I'm expecting to hear this week about a job I've had 5 interviews for(including with the CEO) over the past 7 weeks. We have not discussed salary yet, how much of a red flag is this? At this point I'm expecting to get rejected but also wondering why they would waste so much time interviewing me.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

It's your responsibility to bring up salary. They're going to wait as long as possible to hook and then lowball you.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

It's your responsibility to bring up salary. They're going to wait as long as possible to hook and then lowball you.
Nope. Let them make an offer and negotiate from there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah wow, that is the exact opposite of the right advice. There's a reason so many companies put the screws to applicants to name their desired (or even better, current) salary first.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

If OP is potentially going to decline an offer based on salary, it's their responsibility to ask for compensation details like what is budgeted for the role. An employer not offering that information up front isn't a red flag as such because the vast majority of employers do that.

If OP has happy to have five interviews over several weeks and then find out that the top of the range is 30k short of what they currently make, well, ok :shrug:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

If OP is potentially going to decline an offer based on salary, it's their responsibility to ask for compensation details like what is budgeted for the role. An employer not offering that information up front isn't a red flag as such because the vast majority of employers do that.

If OP has happy to have five interviews over several weeks and then find out that the top of the range is 30k short of what they currently make, well, ok :shrug:
Nope. You don’t have any idea what you’re talking about.

Go ask for what the budgeted salary for a position is early in an interview process and report back how often you actually get a useful answer. 99% of the time the person you’re talking to early in the process doesn’t even know or have the power to influence it. And even if they did, you’re going to get “what are you looking for?” Or “we have a range that depends on the qualifications of the candidate” and not a useful number.

Doing multiple interviews only to get low-balled can happen, but it’s part of the job hunting process. Although companies that lowball are likely to show their whole rear end long before the fifth interview. Remember it is a two-way street and you should be screening them too

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Dik Hz posted:

Go ask for what the budgeted salary for a position is early in an interview process and report back how often you actually get a useful answer. 99% of the time the person you’re talking to early in the process doesn’t even know or have the power to influence it. And even if they did, you’re going to get “what are you looking for?” Or “we have a range that depends on the qualifications of the candidate” and not a useful number.

That tactic has worked for almost every position I've interviewed for in the last several years. I'm done talking about this. Back to resume reviews.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 28, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if you intend to bring up comp first before an offer you better bring it up really early in the process and have a good understanding of market and your win conditions. at this point you should just wait for their offer.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
I'm more concerned the company is not seriously considering filling the position rather than getting lowballed. I've been in this position too many times recently where I get to the final round and not receive an offer. The span of time along with the company not asking my salary requirements at any point during many interviews doesn't give me any confidence about my chances. I've been interviewing a lot and I've never gone thru this many rounds without discussing salary, with that being said I would rather wait for an offer rather than bring it up on my end.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

His strategy is rational if you're optimizing for minimal time invested in procuring a job. Of course, most of us would rather optimize for money.

Blowing off interviews saves a lot of time in the instances where the company doesn't want to pay what you're worth. But it makes it hard to practice your interviewing skills. Of course if you're already an interviewing god and in such high demand that it's pointless to even talk to a company until they prove they're willing to pay what you want, then that too is moot.

Casual Yogurt posted:

I'm more concerned the company is not seriously considering filling the position rather than getting lowballed. I've been in this position too many times recently where I get to the final round and not receive an offer. The span of time along with the company not asking my salary requirements at any point during many interviews doesn't give me any confidence about my chances. I've been interviewing a lot and I've never gone thru this many rounds without discussing salary, with that being said I would rather wait for an offer rather than bring it up on my end.

A company not talking about salary until the offer stage could be indicative they already know they're giving the job to the director's brother-in-law, sure. But it also tends to be indicative of a good company. Good companies seek the right fit, determine which candidates are most desirable, and then negotiate salary with them. Weak companies that only care about finding the cheapest minimally qualified candidate are the ones that want to talk money before they talk about anything else.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 28, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Eric the Mauve posted:

A company not talking about salary until the offer stage could be indicative they already know they're giving the job to the director's brother-in-law, sure. But it also tends to be indicative of a good company. Good companies seek the right fit, determine which candidates are most desirable, and then negotiate salary with them. Weak companies that only care about finding the cheapest minimally qualified candidate are the ones that want to talk money before they talk about anything else.

How does this square with the advice to get recruiters to tell you the range before continuing?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

How does this square with the advice to get recruiters to tell you the range before continuing?

recruiters are different, they work through big outbound volumes so trying to make sure there's a fit at all is important. They are in sales and they are selling you and the job. the opportunity in this situation is an opportunity you have chosen to apply to, which is a different situation with different dynamics.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
The same position that I applied for several months ago and came in the top 3 for has opened up again. With a very slightly different focus, under a different manager.

I'm not sure if it's worth throwing my name in the pool again? I think I can interview well, but I haven't made any other real changes (combination of moving, generalized depression, and the fact that I also am considering wincing and staying in my current position, getting one more license for a couple of grand a year bump, and seeing what happens next year when they change my pay band).

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

blackmet posted:

The same position that I applied for several months ago and came in the top 3 for has opened up again. With a very slightly different focus, under a different manager.

I'm not sure if it's worth throwing my name in the pool again? I think I can interview well, but I haven't made any other real changes (combination of moving, generalized depression, and the fact that I also am considering wincing and staying in my current position, getting one more license for a couple of grand a year bump, and seeing what happens next year when they change my pay band).
Apply again. Can’t hurt and nobody will think less of you for doing it. Several months is long enough that they think you have found another job by now. They may be very happy to see your application again.

Nobody reasonable is going to see the resume of a previous finalist and think “not this rear end in a top hat again”

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Magnetic North posted:

Nothing you say to an external recruiter can be held against you, because everyone should assume they're lying to everyone anyway. Your default should be "the role sounds interesting so we might be able to make it work depending on duties and benefits" or similar weasel poo poo anyway.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

That tactic has worked for almost every position I've interviewed for in the last several years. I'm done talking about this. Back to resume reviews.
Thinking you’re good at interviews because you’re in tech and have had success in the last couple years is a lot like thinking you can pick stocks because your portfolio is up during a bull market.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Mantle posted:

:justpost:

Interacting with stuff on your feed will show up on others' feeds. Even just liking things. The best way is to write broetry, or just write about stuff you're working on or what you've learned.

https://linkedin.com/in/hireadamgoldberg

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 29, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Just an fyi, companies spend way more money interviewing than you do getting interviewed. The longer the interview process goes, typically, the more the sunk cost fallacy weighs in your favor. Let them fall in love before talking money.

If you have an ironclad salary you know is at our above market, by all means use salary as a filter, you can actually benefit from the anchoring. But most people interviewing don't have a salary market information advantage so it's best to let them go as long as they can before it comes up.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
I had an interview yesterday that went well and I stand a decent chance of getting offered the job. Problem is I’ve been summoned to jury duty in a month. Am I obligated to tell my potential employer about this ahead of time, as in, before the offers go out? Or it it just a way to shoot myself in the foot and ensure they’ll hire somebody else who can start sooner? There are multiple good candidates from what I understand.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

no you are not obligated to tell them, what the hell?

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
The wheels turn slowly in my field. It’s certainly possible I won’t get an offer at all; it’s also possible that I get an offer the day before I’m supposed to appear. Idk the timing is just stressing me out and making me feel guilty about withholding information. I’m definitely not trying to act like the position is mine, cause it’s not, I’d just really like to start off on the right foot if I do get lucky with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Tell them AFTER they make an offer and when you're negotiating the start date.

"Just to let you know, I may have jury duty on X date."

All but the most dysfunctional companies will work with you on that. If they make that a pain in the rear end, run! But don't go there until you get to that point.