Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

I miss Sheila :c

orange juche posted:

M1A1/A2 tanks etc are a bit of a bigger ask, mainly due to logistical support tails on them, and the fact that Ukraine is doing pretty loving good with the platforms they have already; but if the Ukrainians *actually* wanted them, and not people in the US saying they wanted them, then they would be on train cars along with the poo poo needed to maintain them.

IMO, if the Ukrainians are asking for MBT's, they are far better off pressuring the Germans into their Leopard MBT's. It's within their own continent which cuts the need for trans-ocean shipping and their engines run off diesel as opposed to our jet-turbines. Logistically, it is far easier to maintain European-based MBT's since a lot of their militaries don't have the logistical power to ship bulk amounts of jet fuel to get an ABCT continuously blitzing.

Not to mention I just want to see German Panzers operating alongside Soviet-era Mi-17s, shelling the piss out of Russian tanks in the 21st century.

The Germans had half a century and some change repairing their national 'image', the sale/distribution of Leopard MBTs to the Eastern Front to curb ACTUAL AGGRESSION would further improve their image as a force for good.

CabooseRvB fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CabooseRvB posted:

IMO, if the Ukrainians are asking for MBT's, they are far better off pressuring the Germans into their Leopard MBT's. It's within their own continent which cuts the need for trans-ocean shipping and their engines run off diesel as opposed to our jet-turbines. Logistically, it is far easier to maintain European-based MBT's since a lot of their militaries don't have the logistical power to ship bulk amounts of jet fuel to get an ABCT continuously blitzing.

Not to mention I just want to see German Panzers operating alongside Soviet-era Mi-17s, shelling the piss out of Russian tanks in the 21st century.

The M1's turbine engine is multi-fuel. We use JP8 because it has a very high burning point, but you can run it on drat near anything. The reason why Abrams isn't the best match for Ukraine is the maintenance and the extremely heavy fuel demand they have. They're better off with a more conventionally engined tank that has less demand for resources. Right now that's donated and refurbished T72s, but someday, perhaps soon, Leopard might fit that bill if the T72 supply dries up.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

A.o.D. posted:

The Strategic Oil Reserve is a thing, and NO poo poo IT WOULD BE HORRIBLE What the hell are you trying to say?

That while the reserve is a thing, it does not insure against losing all your refineries at all.

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

A.o.D. posted:

The M1's turbine engine is multi-fuel. We use JP8 because it has a very high burning point, but you can run it on drat near anything. The reason why Abrams isn't the best match for Ukraine is the maintenance and the extremely heavy fuel demand they have. They're better off with a more conventionally engined tank that has less demand for resources. Right now that's donated and refurbished T72s, but someday, perhaps soon, Leopard might fit that bill if the T72 supply dries up.

wouldn't having the Abrams run on 'not jet fuel' poo poo on the engine life?

Also adds to my point that the Abrams has a literal jet engine up its butt which may be a league above trying to train the Ukrainians on.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CabooseRvB posted:

Also adds to my point that the Abrams has a literal jet engine up its butt which may be a league above trying to train the Ukrainians on.

I wouldn’t say a league above. I’m pretty sure you could find and train Ukrainians on a B-52 and using ALCMs. I’ve heard nothing to suggest they are anything but highly motivated and a record (recently) of positive comments by militaries who have trained them or with them.

Now not timely due to the strategic situation, that’s fair.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CabooseRvB posted:

It's a jet engine, it will run on just about anything from alcohol/paint thinner to aviation gasoline to jet fuel. Diesel is close enough to jet fuel that you can run it without ill effects. Would it have different service requirements? Yeah probably, but it's not going to destroy the engine.

Also, the T-80U has a gas turbine up its butt too, and they use those ones they captured from Russia just fine.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 28, 2022

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

CabooseRvB posted:

They have turbines in tanks they’ve captured from Russia and turbines in other heavy equipment. Ukraine has a very competent and motivated mechanic ecosystem.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

freeasinbeer posted:

They have turbines in tanks they’ve captured from Russia and turbines in other heavy equipment. Ukraine has a very competent and motivated mechanic ecosystem.

It's more the fuel requirements, the Honeywell AGT1500 is a thirsty beast, and there's diesel engines that can put out just as much power for less usage of fuel.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of capture

https://youtu.be/zjMLKCwNTS4

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I dunno about the all-encompassing power of the US government to plan for and respond to global nightmare scenarios. We either didn’t actually have a real plan for dealing with a global pandemic or it instantly went off the rails due to the leadership at the time. Neither option inspires a lot of confidence.

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

it's nice seeing suppressors becoming a common tool for infantrymen.

also, lol at the loving bright tarps they have for hooches.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I dunno about the all-encompassing power of the US government to plan for and respond to global nightmare scenarios. We either didn’t actually have a real plan for dealing with a global pandemic or it instantly went off the rails due to the leadership at the time. Neither option inspires a lot of confidence.

It was the second thing, for reference.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CabooseRvB posted:

it's nice seeing suppressors becoming a common tool for infantrymen.

also, lol at the loving bright tarps they have for hooches.
Sure as hell beats a 3M ear plug. It took me a while when I’d see regular infantry with cans, to realize it’s not for being spec ops (although it does reduce profile and detection), but mostly so the infantry is not all deaf in a decade.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1574896930471256073

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Sure as hell beats a 3M ear plug. It took me a while when I’d see regular infantry with cans, to realize it’s not for being spec ops (although it does reduce profile and detection), but mostly so the infantry is not all deaf in a decade.

Seeing a lot of video clips with soldiers wearing active ear muffs too, which for $40 on Amazon has no excuse for not being standard issue

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1574897021080805389?s=46&t=mv3TYhBOS2KEgTKdfcuLJw

Instructions unclear. Now my balls are on fire.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

CabooseRvB posted:

you can put diesel, or pretty much any other fuel, into m1 abrams. it doesnt need jet fuel. shipping poo poo overseas isnt a real big deal for america either, which you may recall sustained like a hundred thousand soldiers on the other side of the planet in a landlocked country

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
That loving guy said "I don't know" so many times my balls clenched up. I'm as anti-noble as they come and even I'm going YOU DON'T loving SAY THAT IN FRONT OF YOUR TROOPS

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

GD_American posted:

That loving guy said "I don't know" so many times my balls clenched up. I'm as anti-noble as they come and even I'm going YOU DON'T loving SAY THAT IN FRONT OF YOUR TROOPS

He doesn't want to be there as much as the people he's addressing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1574937329956888576?s=20&t=YtxGW9DuQ3yrmLDB7KQ2Hg

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CabooseRvB posted:

JP8 is jet fuel. JP8 is kerosene based, which with a combination of other distillates and lubricants, runs fine in anything that likes diesel. The same fuel used for blackhawks also goes into humvees. The military tries its' damnedest to run everything on JP8, from tent heaters to generators to bradleys to C130s. There are a few other fuels for specialty use, like in the navy, but most of the military runs on JP8.

And there are different types of turbine engines, tanks don't use literal jet engines. Jet turbines are a whole different ball of wax because they primarily produce thrust, not rotary torque. Same principles, different design. Gas turbines have been around for a century, they are no mystery to military use.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
Talking heads going nuts.

https://twitter.com/R82938886/status/1574865224108220423

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
:dogstare: Is this satire with phony subtitles or are they actually going on about shipping off the undesirables to get ground up at the front?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

GD_American posted:

Keep in mind the situation he's in and the morale/stability of the draftees he's dealing with.

With the riots and burnings of draft stations, giving the men a completely honest "listen, i got hosed too, we're in this together" speech is probably going to get him fragged by his own guys like 70% less likely than if he went full kayfabe moto angle, covering up poo poo he hasn't been told with "that is currently being ascertained" à la Encino Man.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I think RealSubtitles might be fake, you know?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GD_American posted:

A.o.D. posted:

He doesn't want to be there as much as the people he's addressing.

"I swear to loving Christ I have nothing to do with our collective fuckery, so at least frag me while my back is turned."

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It's not actually what is being said, it's kinda like a Bad Lip Reading translation.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I'll be sure to reply with DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM when the conscription officer orders me to sign up as disposable junk cannon fodder in the coming secession wars of Florida/Texas.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

orange juche posted:

It's not actually what is being said, it's kinda like a Bad Lip Reading translation.

Thank you, I realize now the parody.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I'll be sure to reply with DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM when the conscription officer orders me to sign up as disposable junk cannon fodder in the coming secession wars of Florida/Texas.

I was just talking about how we need to fence off florida this morning in another thread. Oh sure, it was a fun laugh, but on a very deep level, I'm not kidding.

We just need to build the fence. We don't need to close the gates, but the option should always be available.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I was just talking about how we need to fence off florida this morning in another thread. Oh sure, it was a fun laugh, but on a very deep level, I'm not kidding.

We just need to build the fence. We don't need to close the gates, but the option should always be available.

:hmmyes: can we fence off Ohio while we're at it? Go ahead and close the gate though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fearless posted:

America's true superpower is its absolutely breathtaking industrial capacity married to its ability to direct the output of that capacity to anywhere on the globe in very short order. There has never been anything like it in the history of humanity.

Yeah people forget that the US is still the second biggest manufacturer of stuff in the world. The gap with China will probably wind up shrinking this year as well due to Zero COVID and the US economy's continued inertia.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The USA is like when you generate a random Civ map and give one continent all the good resources so you can start there

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The USA is like when you generate a random Civ map and give one continent all the good resources so you can start there

Or starting HOI4 USA with no Great Depression modifier.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Sending the worst people possible to the front is a good way to lose the war.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Keep in mind the situation he's in and the morale/stability of the draftees he's dealing with.

When I've had to go present my guys with things that are stupid, we shouldn't be doing, and will personally gently caress them over, after I'm done arguing myself blue in the face and get told to shut the gently caress up and color, I use a similar tactic. "We're doing this, we don't have a choice, no one thinks it's a good idea, but we're doing it anyways, I'll be with you every step of the way".

Most people seem to appreciate the candor.

Of course I've never lead conscripts

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Sending the worst people possible to the front is a good way to lose the war.

View it through the lens of ethnic cleansing.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1575108090327867393?t=tnEBMatE85B_G8Ovv6VZjg&s=19

I would have thought this already would have been a pretty good idea months ago

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Flying the pride flag at the embassy in Moscow is just…

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1575108090327867393?t=tnEBMatE85B_G8Ovv6VZjg&s=19

I would have thought this already would have been a pretty good idea months ago

People are stupid and have to be told the most obvious/common sense poo poo that a toddler would figure out.

Look at the two Canadian Michaels who were still in China after news that a CCP billionaire princess was arrested.

When poo poo gets even 10x worse for Russia, and anyone speaking English is getting lynched by mobs in the street, western morons will still be lining up to go to Russia.