Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, fun fact, it's been a while since the beginning of this mess feels like an eon ago but as I recall Vic went to actual defamation lawyers first who were all "lol, no."
even a first-year law student knows it isn’t defamatory if it’s true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Namtab posted:

A real lawyer would probably have taken the case, but would also have done their job properly.

Nah, even that wasn't the case. Even if it would have made it past the Anti-SLAPP part of the litigation, I'm betting the defamation attorneys Vic went to told him that he would likely lose on a Summary Judgment motion because these facts are not that great. But Vic probably didn't like that, started huffing his own supply of "I want to be proven innocent!!!" and alas, he's in the loving out-of-his-depth embrace of Ty Beard.

And it's hilarious that never at one point did Vic actually ever question Ty's competence at defamation proceedings (hell, Vic could file a complaint about Ty with the Texas Bar Association tomorrow and they'd probably look into this even now, because he only sought help from outside counsel well past the point where he already made multiple hosed up filings).

MechaX fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 28, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MechaX posted:

And it's hilarious that never at one point did Vic actually ever question Ty's competence at defamation proceedings (hell, Vic could file a complaint about Ty with the Texas Bar Association tomorrow and they'd probably look into this even now, because he only sought help from outside counsel well past the point where he already made multiple hosed up filings).

Yeah, Vic exists in that coveted upper middle class white man state where everything has been taken care of for him his entire life and he has only the most vaguest understanding of how things work. A lawyer told him it would work out, he'd just have to pay, so he paid and Vic is probably very puzzled why he didn't get everything he wanted.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MechaX posted:

Nah, even that wasn't the case. Even if it would have made it past the Anti-SLAPP part of the litigation, I'm betting the defamation attorneys Vic went to told him that he would likely lose on a Summary Judgment motion because these facts are not that great. But Vic probably didn't like that, started huffing his own supply of "I want to be proven innocent!!!" and alas, he's in the loving out-of-his-depth embrace of Ty Beard.

an experienced/competent plaintiff's litigator would absolutely have taken the case, but would have immediately tried to talk Vic out of going any further after all the evidence of his awful reputation kept turning up. however, it seems like a lot of the case wasn't even motivated by what Vic (the actual client?!) wanted, but more about what culture war grievances would keep the sex pest aficionados sending nick money. the only way any attorney can get in actual trouble with the bar association is if they mishandle client trust accounts, and I think even Ty is smart enough to follow the rules there. however, as the ALAB guys said, I'd rather have the odds of a malpractice claim against Ty/Nick than the odds of Vic's case on appeal/en banc.

Dawgstar posted:

A lawyer told him it would work out, he'd just have to pay, so he paid and Vic is probably very puzzled why he didn't get everything he wanted.
he really, really got taken in by Nick's hype and the "turn-key" lawsuit. Nick/Ty had the money, the cause, and the "case" before they ever had the client on board. Nick absolutely scammed everyone, but especially Vic. couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Vic would already be back doing cons and getting work if he just laid low for all this time instead.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 28, 2022

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

MechaX posted:

He’d hopefully have had the same result with competent legal support, but he wouldn’t have burned goodwill with the judge with e.g. late submissions

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

the only way any attorney can get in actual trouble with the bar association is if they mishandle client trust accounts

Commingling or misappropriating client funds is the easiest way to get the bar association on your rear end, but to say that this is the only way is absolutely not true at all.

Hell, the attorney I replaced when I first started practicing got the hammer dropped on him years later for lack of communication and competence alone (although, what would have been a probation or admonishment for anyone else turned into a flat out disbarment because he was loving up child custody cases for lack of responsiveness or just not knowing what he was doing for at least 4 clients).

MechaX fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 28, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MechaX posted:

Commingling or misappropriating client funds is the easiest way to get the bar association on your rear end, but to say that this is the only way is absolutely not true at all.

Hell, the attorney I replaced when I first started practicing got the hammer dropped on him years for lack of communication and competence alone (although, what would have been a probation or admonishment for anyone else turned into a flat out disbarment because he was loving up child custody cases for lack of responsiveness or just not knowing what he was doing for at least 4 clients).

I can see why they'd be harsher on that than like property line case involving where a fence is.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MechaX posted:

Hell, the attorney I replaced when I first started practicing got the hammer dropped on him years later for lack of communication and competence alone (although, what would have been a probation or admonishment for anyone else turned into a flat out disbarment because he was loving up child custody cases for lack of responsiveness or just not knowing what he was doing for at least 4 clients).
yeah, figuratively only, not literally only. it is really, really hard to get straight-up disbarred for incompetence. i've only heard personal knowledge of two or three other cases besides the one you mentioned. even Ty/Nick do not meet that standard. hell, i doubt they'll even get sanctioned even after straight-up lying to a judge about notarizations and loving up their "actual" client's own interests/career in such a magnificently huge fashion. vic is an idiot if he at least doesn't try to make a malpractice claim for the way ty and nick put the grift over their de jure client.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/TheDebbieMia/status/1575719127737503745

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Now that the appellate court case is finalized, they can try to appeal to SCoTX or just finally take the L and move on.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr. Nice! posted:

Now that the appellate court case is finalized, they can try to appeal to SCoTX or just finally take the L and move on.

Is the SCoTX crazy enough to care? Genuine question.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I would absolutely not put it past Nick/Ty to start making a bunch of constitutional arguments to try their luck at the US Supreme Court if (when) they get blown up across Texas should they try and likely fail appeal to the Texas SC

It won’t work but it’ll be funny

MechaX fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 30, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mr. Nice! posted:

what does your heart tell you

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

MORE BILLABLE HOURS! MORE BILLABLE HOURS!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Is Vic seriously still paying them

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dawgstar posted:

Is the SCoTX crazy enough to care? Genuine question.

Almost certainly not. The SCOTUS won’t give a gently caress, either.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Alan Smithee posted:

Is Vic seriously still paying them
Vic never paid them, it was always funded by his fanbase; and yes, they're still giving money to them despite everything that happened. That's why he tried to get an en banc review, to give the illusion that there's still a chance so that the fans keep giving them money.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah vic gets to pay damages but not the lawyers - that's probably why this got so far, the lawsuit was "free" so why would vic look closely at any of it

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Can Of Worms posted:

Vic never paid them, it was always funded by his fanbase; and yes, they're still giving money to them despite everything that happened. That's why he tried to get an en banc review, to give the illusion that there's still a chance so that the fans keep giving them money.
it's even more attenuated than that, isn't it? my impression was Nick raised all the money/outrage/profile for Vic before he ever met Vic and basically approached him with the pitch, "I raised this huge war chest for your cause on youtube. I have a real winner of a case and a texas attorney ready to go if you just sign here!"

instead of speaking with his own actual attorney who had actual experience in the field and Vic's interests in mind, Vic decided to go along with the grift, and here we are. Nick and Ty have been treating the donors as their real interest, not their client.

it's basically ACLU-style impact litigation, but they picked the world's worst plaintiff instead.

ninjewtsu posted:

yeah vic gets to pay damages but not the lawyers - that's probably why this got so far, the lawsuit was "free" so why would vic look closely at any of it
if i was Vic's attorney, I'd be telling Nick and Ty to pony up for the damages as well as the remainder of whatever grift bux are left or i'd be calling their malpractice carriers (no way Nick has malpractice insurance, but he does have all that texas oil money)

Mr. Nice! posted:

The SCOTUS won’t give a gently caress, either.
idk Brett and Clarence get you halfway to cert lmfao

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 30, 2022

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

TenementFunster posted:

it's even more attenuated than that, isn't it? my impression was Nick raised all the money/outrage/profile for Vic before he ever met Vic and basically approached him with the pitch, "I raised this huge war chest for your cause on youtube. I have a real winner of a case and a texas attorney ready to go if you just sign here!"
Yeah, that's correct. I'm just highlighting how the campaign still gets money every now and then (the most recent addition is a 100$ donation from about 3 weeks ago).

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Can Of Worms posted:

Yeah, that's correct. I'm just highlighting how the campaign still gets money every now and then (the most recent addition is a 100$ donation from about 3 weeks ago).
lmfao who is still donating money to this loser poo poo? incredible.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Incels, people who don’t trust mainstream lawyers, people who want to keep the show rolling, and vics legitimate fanbase

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
as this suit proves, there is no “legitimate” reason to be a fan of dubs.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Dyslexia?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

as this suit proves, there is no “legitimate” reason to be a fan of dubs.

gently caress you, dubs are the only way my dyslexic friend can watch foreign media.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dubs v subs getting heated in the nonce dubber thread

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Midjack posted:

gently caress you, dubs are the only way my dyslexic friend can watch foreign media.
lmfao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

pull up thread, pull up

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Counterpoint: The Yu Yu Hakusho dub is objectively superior.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Cowboy Bebop and FMA/Brotherhood dubs (putting the whole Vic situation aside) are particularly well done in my opinion as well (though the Japanese cast of both is great too)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
jesus christ guys i'm joking. I do not care how you or your neuroatypical friends watch your anime. please stop getting actually mad and defending the works of dub "actors" such as Vic Mignogna.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Sub YYH but with dub Kuwabara edited in.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

jesus christ guys i'm joking. I do not care how you or your neuroatypical friends watch your anime. please stop getting actually mad and defending the works of dub "actors" such as Vic Mignogna.

You're not funny and you never will be

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The funniest thing about the YYH dub is that Vic is probably the weakest actor in the entire series

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

RevolverDivider posted:

do not be upset

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

Oh okay you got me I guess.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

they aren't but the way everyone reacted was a little funny

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I thought it was a bit tasteless to relegate early anime arguments in this thread of all places but I guess you shouldn’t expect to much from this thread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

using the molestation of children as ammo in a dumb sub vs dubs debate, even jokingly, is stupid as poo poo. knock it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

CharlestheHammer posted:

I thought it was a bit tasteless to relegate early anime arguments in this thread of all places but I guess you shouldn’t expect to much from this thread
“early”? timeless.