Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

The Moon Monster posted:

What I don't get is how something like this could fall 98% without going the rest of the way down. With junk stocks there's at least ostensibly a company with some sort of assets. Here it's just some ones and zeroes in a database that the world has resoundingly declared meaningless.

98% were wash trades done by the platforms to keep prices and volume high. 2% were real people getting rug pulled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hello Sailor posted:

breaking news: 80085 sells for $42069

I could see Elon doing that while high though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LifeSunDeath posted:

I have this feeling like Logan Paul is gonna end up in tax jail at some point in his career.
He's a rich attractive white guy so nothing will happen

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/ButtCoin/status/1574788328708341762

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

buy another one, rich boy

I can't really be sad about this, I normally try not to delight in the suffering of others, but man the bile and venom these people have spread, the manipulation

this is fine lol

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

seems normal

i saw an article yesterday about how Bitcoin going back over 20,000 was a meaningful sign of something or other

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, and not even a good number.

My bosses at my last job were big into crypto and NFTs, to the point where they made more on that than running their chain of cell phone repair stores (from what other employees have told me).

One day a few months ago they were in the store for something, and spent some time running a script to scan over a set of NFTs that looked like angry versions of the Cheerios bee, and I guess try to buy ones that were “underpriced” for whatever features they had. They were definitely calling out different colors and stuff.

I’m glad I’m not still working there, but I really wish I knew how they were doing with that. They had another employee quit to become a full time crypto miner, which seemed like a poor decision at the time and a worse one now.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Mozi posted:

seems normal

i saw an article yesterday about how Bitcoin going back over 20,000 was a meaningful sign of something or other
Giving the UK Pound a run for its money.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Durzel posted:

Giving the UK Pound a run for its money.

What money?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PITY BONER posted:

NFTs have been going down since their inception, and Logan Paul's dumbass has been losing money on NFTs left and right for over a full year, lol
https://twitter.com/FungersTakingLs/status/1574504129413668873

Gotta admit, it’s quite impressive it’s gone up in value by $10.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Mozi posted:

seems normal

I was surprised by the random squeeze and seeing all the derpers screaming for bullishness, but then this happened today and it nosedived was expected:

dump alerts (cryptoquant) posted:

🐳 1,503.14 #BTC ($30,517,764)
aggregated inflows to #Huobi Global

🐳 1,570.80 #BTC ($31,701,395)

🐳 1,000.24 #BTC ($20,209,315)

🐳🐳 2,000.72 #BTC ($40,301,272)

edit: and a bonus additional one later in the day to bring the total to $147m dumped:
🐳 1,284.61 #BTC ($24,388,662)
aggregated inflows to #Binance

This was across about 3 hours, and then we turned back to normal. My threshold is about 50 mil exiting in a day to be notable, so hopefully bigger dumps to end the week. Not sure if we'll hit 17k right away but it's certainly on deck.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 28, 2022

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Makes me sick that Logan Paul is rich enough to lose $600k+ and just be like :shrug: especially because it’s not even close to all he has lost.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
These bitcoin jumps are just a bunch of wash trades whales do before they cash out right

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mozi posted:

Yeah it means Seraph might rereg and brag about buying a SkeeDoo because #ToTheMoon

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I can’t really identify any specific event I’d attach it to, but it feels like NFTs really have just fallen off the face of the earth completely. Obviously it was all fake bullshit, but it feels like a regression in scam sophistication—it’s back to Bitcoin and Ethereum, though at least Ethereum isn’t PoW anymore (not that it should exist at all).

The Bible
May 8, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

I can’t really identify any specific event I’d attach it to, but it feels like NFTs really have just fallen off the face of the earth completely. Obviously it was all fake bullshit, but it feels like a regression in scam sophistication—it’s back to Bitcoin and Ethereum, though at least Ethereum isn’t PoW anymore (not that it should exist at all).

There's still bus and subway ads for various NFT scams here in Korea, but I've never heard a single person even mention it in person.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
NFTs require a healthy Dumbcoin market, so you can point to it and be like "Here's the new hot poo poo, guaranteed to take off".

If Butts are in the shitter then you might as well be the rube trying to sell pickaxes after the gold rush is dead. Where's the marks?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm constantly confused as to how the team I did a bunch of art for is even gonna take a market with things this far down. It's really confusing.
I'm just glad that I can wipe my hands of it all. It's already 'launched' sort of and they hired me and some of my friends to do art and we can be done with them soon. They'll pay me the final cut or not and I don't really care.
I did get them to agree after they're done or they terminate the project early I get all the rights to everything I made back atleast.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 28, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I'm constantly confused as to how the team I did a bunch of art for is even gonna take a market with things this far down. It's really confusing.
I'm just glad that I can wipe my hands of it all. It's already 'launched' sort of and they hired me and some of my friends to do art and we can be done with them soon. They'll pay me the final cut or not and I don't really care.
I did get them to agree after they're done or they terminate the project early I get all the rights to everything I made back atleast.

You're not getting paid. They'll absolutely gently caress you out of your money if they can't find rubes to buy their poo poo.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Let me try to help explain issues with everything, by asking 5 general concepts worth of questions. OJ (juche) is correct.

1: do you have a way to actually contact these people outside of discord/telegram, where you probably discussed this? Like, addresses, phone numbers, names verified etc?
2: when you say "get them to agree", do you have that on paper? Like an actual work contract? Do you have any contract for the pay? Like, anything whatsoever on paper?
3: do you still have recordings of anything they promised or agreed to?
4: was anything paid upfront?
5: Were you shown a roadmap for what they wanted to do that had already started?

As this is crypto there's a nearly 100% chance the answer to all of this is no, take a guess at how this is likely to play out when they simply ghost on you and tell you to :fuckoff:

Bonus: because talking poo poo is free, there's an actual chance they even go further into being actual pieces of poo poo and try to do things like make up magic reasons why *you* were the scammer, kill your reputation, try to get you doxed and swatted etc.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

I can’t really identify any specific event I’d attach it to, but it feels like NFTs really have just fallen off the face of the earth completely. Obviously it was all fake bullshit

Your gut feeling is right:

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

drk posted:

Your gut feeling is right:

It was Seth Green having his prize ape stolen that really killed it

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

In my mind, the January peak is a bunch of children using Christmas money to buy NFTs and kicking off a fad that barely lasted a quarter.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

at least with fidget spinners you still have a fidget spinner

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
You don't understand, they got in on the ground floor.

Ground.

Floor.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

The Lord of Hats posted:

it really seemed by coincidence to be right around when dan olson made his NFT video. the slurp juice stuff was another point

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Cowcaster posted:

at least with fidget spinners you still have a fidget spinner

Yeah but have you considered that if you make an NFT that's a gif of a spinning fidget spinner you can destroy the real one and it will still be spinning on the blockchain, forever. It's value inching closer to the moon with every spin. :dukedog:

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Scratch Monkey posted:

I remember seeing a video of some people power washing a bunch of server racks and tracked down the explanation

So maybe they’re using that stuff

Is this the dielectrical materialism I've been hearing so much about?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Squatch Ambassador posted:

Yeah but have you considered that if you make an NFT that's a gif of a spinning fidget spinner you can destroy the real one and it will still be spinning on the blockchain, forever. It's value inching closer to the moon with every spin. :dukedog:

Time to retire, Mr. Nolan.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Isn't this what that guy earlier in the thread was promoting? Some convoluted Blockchain based gift card that worked in Chipotle? It's about as successful as you imagine:

https://twitter.com/leomschwartz/status/1575196884540395520?t=pm1w1quOda-vg-Q1LE_zQQ&s=19

There is a massive disconnect between C-suite executives pushing this blockchain poo poo and any actual use in the real world. This happened in the video game industry as well with NFTs. The customers don't want them, the people making the games don't want them. it does not do anything other than increase work for already overstressed developers and annoy their paying customers.

It bums me out that the leadership of a company like Chipotle or SquareEnix or Ubisoft has to latch on to these empty buzzwords and pretend it's the greatest thing ever, for what? To appease their shareholders by adding the words "Blockchain" and "NFT" to a quarterly report? These executives aren't dumb, they know none of this poo poo has any actual use but they play along. Are their core businesses in such trouble that they need to desperately gin up any interest in their stock prices by dabbling in blockchain? I know this is how GameStop is staying afloat, but they've been a dead business walking for several years now - to see actual established companies like a Ubisoft or a SquareEnix or even Chipotle scrape the bottom of the barrell like this makes me wonder if a lot of these large companies (and the economy at large) are desperate and out of ideas.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If they don’t have exponential growth every quarter or spin a tale about how that will happen next quarter their investors whine.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

lynch_69 posted:

These executives aren't dumb,

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there, in fact I can't think of a dumber group of people. Executives are modern nobility, inbred fail children who inherit honorary degrees from the ivies and then businesses. So of course they fall for obvious scams all the time. Some, I assume, are good people.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
oh that reminds me I should use one of my credit cards to get a 10% credit for Chipotle .

also some what related to non coin, fin news, JPMorgan Chase is apparent trying to kill credit cards and debit cards with their own transaction processor or something. DnD's USpol/news was mixed about it and i guess the closest shared conclusion was JPMorgan Chase being bigenough to be tempted to Go Bender with their own thing ias bad.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

lynch_69 posted:

to see actual established companies like a Ubisoft or a SquareEnix or even Chipotle scrape the bottom of the barrell like this makes me wonder if a lot of these large companies (and the economy at large) are desperate and out of ideas.

Square Enix owns Dragon Quest and has released multiple successful and popular games in the past couple of years, they're nowhere near desperate. It's just standard rich person disease of "But I could have even more money!"

With the hype surrounding NFTs at their peak it's easy to see how a CEO could say "Hey, we can make even more money if we get into this NFT thing!" They don't care how it works, they just see "NFTs made some people lots of money" and they want that money.

Hell, the CEO could even be a true believer and think they're the future. Or at least surrounded by true believers who have convinced him that they're the future.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

lynch_69 posted:

These executives aren't dumb, they know none of this poo poo has any actual use but they play along.

Yes they are, they’re just personally rich enough to be insulated from the vast majority of the effects of their failures. There’s basically no selective pressure unless you touch a handful of things that will drat you instantly (Theranos).

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 28, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The business world makes a whole lot more sense once you realize that yes, actually a very significant number of top-level decision makers are incredibly dumb.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

lynch_69 posted:

It bums me out that the leadership of a company like Chipotle or SquareEnix or Ubisoft has to latch on to these empty buzzwords and pretend it's the greatest thing ever, for what? To appease their shareholders by adding the words "Blockchain" and "NFT" to a quarterly report? These executives aren't dumb, they know none of this poo poo has any actual use but they play along. Are their core businesses in such trouble that they need to desperately gin up any interest in their stock prices by dabbling in blockchain? I know this is how GameStop is staying afloat, but they've been a dead business walking for several years now - to see actual established companies like a Ubisoft or a SquareEnix or even Chipotle scrape the bottom of the barrell like this makes me wonder if a lot of these large companies (and the economy at large) are desperate and out of ideas.

It's a really strange space where I actually respect the most dishonest and lazy implementation of just secretly using mysql on the backend and handing out "ownership".

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Let me try to help explain issues with everything, by asking 5 general concepts worth of questions. OJ (juche) is correct.

1: do you have a way to actually contact these people outside of discord/telegram, where you probably discussed this? Like, addresses, phone numbers, names verified etc?
2: when you say "get them to agree", do you have that on paper? Like an actual work contract? Do you have any contract for the pay? Like, anything whatsoever on paper?
3: do you still have recordings of anything they promised or agreed to?
4: was anything paid upfront?
5: Were you shown a roadmap for what they wanted to do that had already started?

As this is crypto there's a nearly 100% chance the answer to all of this is no, take a guess at how this is likely to play out when they simply ghost on you and tell you to :fuckoff:

Bonus: because talking poo poo is free, there's an actual chance they even go further into being actual pieces of poo poo and try to do things like make up magic reasons why *you* were the scammer, kill your reputation, try to get you doxed and swatted etc.

they never had me sign a contract so effectively speaking they don't have anything to hold over my head. they don't have anything in writing as much as I don't, which means they don't have rights to my work either, but I have ennough saved chatlogs that they wouldn't be able to claim anything as is. The only thing for sure is I worked with them on stuff for 3 months and that's over with, and I was paid upfront for it. I will not work for anyone if they will not pay upfront, so no matter what they're spending money on me.
The reason I'm not that worried is after spending ages learning the telltale signs of nightmare clients, I can pretty easily deduce who is planning to scam me or not. The group are waaaay too talkative on things for them to be off-key, and they spent ages trying to figure out what their roadmap should be, considering they just... let me do whatever (by that I mean the whole creative concept landed on me because they wanted to do crocodiles and I told them that was a garbage idea, so they just... paid me to make whatever I felt like).
Insofar I've made good money off these kinds of people, regardless if they fail or not. It's because all the same rules about nightmare clients and lovely internet commissioners DO still apply.

I did almost have the last part happen, but when that project caved in I made it clear that I never had contact with majority of the staff and I wasn't paid everything they said. I had also openly stated in their discord server that I don't give a poo poo about crypto on multiple occasions, even in group voice calls, so nobody had a reason to suspect me in the first place.
Then the community stepped in and gave me the other 4k I was owed. So that was nice.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 28, 2022

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Kerbtree posted:

They very much are, because nothing involving crypto solves a new problem or makes something existing cheaper or easier. There’s no business case for it, ever.

It doesn’t matter. It costs them little to dip their toe in, generate headlines and start trending on media. If it doesn’t work out nobody cares, if it does suddenly whoever’s in charge looks very smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

they never had me sign a contract so effectively speaking they don't have anything to hold over my head. they don't have anything in writing as much as I don't, which means they don't have rights to my work either, but I have ennough saved chatlogs that they wouldn't be able to claim anything as is. The only thing for sure is I worked with them on stuff for 3 months and that's over with, and I was paid upfront for it. I will not work for anyone if they will not pay upfront, so no matter what they're spending money on me.

Insofar I've made good money off these kinds of people, regardless if they fail or not. It's because all the same rules about nightmare clients and lovely internet commissioners DO still apply.

I had also openly stated in their discord server that I don't give a poo poo about crypto on multiple occasions, even in group voice calls, so nobody had a reason to suspect me in the first place.
Then the community stepped in and gave me the other 4k I was owed. So that was nice.

My only highlight is so you don't get hosed/where they can gently caress you. I don't care if the opposite happens to crypto people, they're as lovely as any other cutthroat people and deserve the karma they get.

As said and easily predictable, these discord groups are all over the place and if poo poo happens they'll nuke their servers anyway.

What's sad is it's an excessive amount of money looking to make more from pure greed and given circumstances in the world speaks volumes about how much people care about money above all. And they always have a way to scrape together more money somehow. It's inconceivable to me.