Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

One thing that I just thought of that they could potentially do, would be to start slowly outsourcing their TV production to an outside production company. Like start with NXT, then gradually phase Dunn out more and more until the external company is handling most of the production duties. That would give them a reason to eventually cut Dunn loose (as they would have effectively eliminated his position) and just have someone in a position as the executive liaison between WWE and whatever company.

The downsides to that idea, of course, are finding a production company with all the talent and experience necessary to handle doing a weekly wrestling show on the scale of WWE that isn't also already tied up doing other live sporting event shows, and also showing that the costs of outsourcing WWE's TV production would be outweighed by the money saved from not having to pay Dunn (and most of his staff) a salary anymore.

Is it really so loving hard for wrestling shows to literally just use the hard cam unless the wrestlers start doing poo poo outside the ring? WWE is real bad about it cutting on literally every little thing and jumping from one camera to one on the complete opposite side, and AEW has been steadily getting worse with jumping around the ring on every move.

edit: I would pay for a pure hard cam stream. Like easily twenty dollars a month for the stream to be literally nothing but like a tiny picture in picture in the top right that shows the fite stream or what ever and the center is just hardcam the entire time, wouldn't even matter if they blacked it out for setup or during promos or whatever.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dunn's been around a long time, but the super-choppy editing and camera-jiggling hasn't. When did that begin in earnest? I stopped watching long before that, I think.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Halloween Jack posted:

Dunn's been around a long time, but the super-choppy editing and camera-jiggling hasn't. When did that begin in earnest? I stopped watching long before that, I think.

If I remember correctly, it started as a reaction to the switch to HD. As the footage becomes clearer it gets easier to tell that the hits are all soft (especially with the WWE style being pretty soft that way in the first place), so they started overcorrecting with camera cuts. And then it devolved into self-parody because WWE's weird and controlled by people with no taste.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MrBling posted:

also, it wasn't quite wasted because Jerry Lynn also got to use the song.

Possibly because whoever was in charge of the music assumed they were the same guy.

I feel like Lynn's enough of a metalhead that coming out to Boston probably physically hurt him

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Is it really so loving hard for wrestling shows to literally just use the hard cam unless the wrestlers start doing poo poo outside the ring? WWE is real bad about it cutting on literally every little thing and jumping from one camera to one on the complete opposite side, and AEW has been steadily getting worse with jumping around the ring on every move.

edit: I would pay for a pure hard cam stream. Like easily twenty dollars a month for the stream to be literally nothing but like a tiny picture in picture in the top right that shows the fite stream or what ever and the center is just hardcam the entire time, wouldn't even matter if they blacked it out for setup or during promos or whatever.

This isn't anything new, World Class started doing the multiple camera around the ring stuff back in the 1980s, and other promotions followed their lead. Done correctly, it gives a "real sports" feel to the action in the ring. Done incorrectly, you get whatever it is Dunn is doing in WWE.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

New Japan in Japan uses multi cam and its some of the best filmed wrestling out there. Sadly in the US the video is indy level at best

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nystral posted:

As a publicly traded company it doesn’t matter how much stock Dunn owns. They fire him tomorrow and what? He sells? He’d be one of thousands, and if it was enough to move the stock price the dip would be normalized over time.

I imagine it’s the stress load of running 3x weekly shows with no down time that turns most people off, now try to find 2 or 3 of them to cover all the shows. That’s probably where the real issue is, how many people would be needed in the near to middle term to replace Dunn. Not like WWE has historically had any formalized succession plans.

When you are dedicated to your art like Kevin Dunn it doesn't feel like work. You are just creating something, pouring your soul on screen. Not many will be able to offer that.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

SatoshiMiwa posted:

New Japan in Japan uses multi cam and its some of the best filmed wrestling out there. Sadly in the US the video is indy level at best

one criticism I've been reading about New Japan is while their camera direction is one of the best in the world, the actual cameras/stream quality kinda blow, at least for a promotion that's supposed to be #1 domestically? I honestly can't tell though.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Lily Catts posted:

one criticism I've been reading about New Japan is while their camera direction is one of the best in the world, the actual cameras/stream quality kinda blow, at least for a promotion that's supposed to be #1 domestically? I honestly can't tell though.

Stream quality is actually pretty bad. Especially considering Noah has been filming in 4k more recently.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
NJPW streams look fine to me except when they do US shows. Those are dogshit every time.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Lily Catts posted:

Looks fine to me when I watch on njpwworld. I never get buffering or pixelation issues.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

One thing that I just thought of that they could potentially do, would be to start slowly outsourcing their TV production to an outside production company. Like start with NXT, then gradually phase Dunn out more and more until the external company is handling most of the production duties. That would give them a reason to eventually cut Dunn loose (as they would have effectively eliminated his position) and just have someone in a position as the executive liaison between WWE and whatever company.

The downsides to that idea, of course, are finding a production company with all the talent and experience necessary to handle doing a weekly wrestling show on the scale of WWE that isn't also already tied up doing other live sporting event shows, and also showing that the costs of outsourcing WWE's TV production would be outweighed by the money saved from not having to pay Dunn (and most of his staff) a salary anymore.

Yeah, I'm not sure about outsourcing their production, unless it's to a crew that is used to actually doing wrestling.

Using a real sport example, living in NZ, I watch a shitload of rugby union. Super Rugby, Super Rugby Aupiki, the mid-year test matches, the National Provincial Championship, the Farah Palmer Cup, the Autumn tests. Occasionally, my beloved All Blacks will go to areas where rugby isn't often broadcast, like the US, where there are crews working that just lack experience in filming the sport. The end result is that there are just a bunch of small, but significant differences that hurts the viewing experience. It's stuff like shot selection, the edits used, as well as things that would come part and parcel with familiarity with the sport, like how high kicks are shot. It's just utterly jarring, when the stuff you'd take for granted in a broadcast is just... not there.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

I've started noticing it a lot because I'll watch their Abema shows on Abema and the quality is so much better than NJPW World. It's the actual stream quality on NJPW World that sucks. I think it tops out at 480p lol. The cameras are fine.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It's wild to me in wrestling in general how much the way television in general has changed the way it presents itself since even 10 or 20 years ago but wrestling still has the same basic model of "a few shows culminating at a big show" since the early 1900s. Wrestling always seems like it's behind the times. I think it adds to the quaintness.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Has the "cut to commercials in the middle of a match" always been a thing or is there a specific point in time they started doing that? I was talking to my friend today about how crazy it is we've gotten to the point at not blinking twice in having to watch ads while there's a match going on. It's like them playing ads during the plays in football.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Kvlt! posted:

Has the "cut to commercials in the middle of a match" always been a thing or is there a specific point in time they started doing that? I was talking to my friend today about how crazy it is we've gotten to the point at not blinking twice in having to watch ads while there's a match going on. It's like them playing ads during the plays in football.

I'm rewatching old Nitros now and WCW does it quite a bit. I feel like maybe even more than WWE does. I'm not sure about WWE(F) in this time period.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'm rewatching old Nitros now and WCW does it quite a bit. I feel like maybe even more than WWE does. I'm not sure about WWE(F) in this time period.

Oh yeah it's def been a thing my whole life, I'm just curious if it was kinda always common or there was a specific point where it started happening

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
My pure conjecture guess is to look around the start of live broadcasting. If it is happening beforehand I have no loving clue as to its origin point, but afterward I could see it being a function of doing a live broadcast and the Monday Night War leading to an innovation in ratings chasing.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

karmicknight posted:

My pure conjecture guess is to look around the start of live broadcasting. If it is happening beforehand I have no loving clue as to its origin point, but afterward I could see it being a function of doing a live broadcast and the Monday Night War leading to an innovation in ratings chasing.

Doing some digging and research, I've come to the conclusion it's pretty much always been a thing in WWE/F/WCW. One explanation I heard is that during the Attitude era matches were often short enough not to be cut during commercials, leading some people to think it was introduced later than it was.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
WCW used to cut to commercials in the middle of a match, but you could pay $5 a month for Backstage Blast to be able to see those restholds on the internet.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Did anyone ever call the WCW hotline? What kind of stuff would they actually tell you?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Wwf used to make it a point that they wouldn’t cut to commercial during a match as a way to take a shot at WCW.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
They definitely cut to commercial in the middle of matches on the various versions of the Main Event on NBC, and I'm pretty sure they did on Prime Time, too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This isn't anything new, World Class started doing the multiple camera around the ring stuff back in the 1980s, and other promotions followed their lead. Done correctly, it gives a "real sports" feel to the action in the ring. Done incorrectly, you get whatever it is Dunn is doing in WWE.

Yeah, I've heard how dynamic World Class' stuff was considered at the time, thanks to the guy they called 'Video Bob.'

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Did WWF do any notable face vs. face feuds before Hogan/Warrior? I recall the concept of a face challenging another face being portrayed as tragic, or itself part of a heel turn storyline (see Andre essentially turning heel because he had the audacity to challenge a fellow good guy for the belt).

davidbix posted:

And BTW, the clear up a popular misconception: He's not the director and never has been. On top of his executive office role and his executive producer role, he functions as the line producer during TV shoots.
Also a lot of people tend to misattribute the excellent video packages to him. That's not what his job entails!

This leads me to a follow-up question... According to Shawn Michaels' retirement speech, a "red haired kid named Adam" was responsible for the aforementioned excellent video packages. Would that have been the kid from that "George & Adam" duo that would show up in random segments during the New Generation? Doesn't seem too implausible that some A/V intern could have been pulled out for skits and commercials as he started to hone his craft.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Are George and Adam the superfans from 1997 that pissed their pants at the Slammies?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Minidust posted:

Did WWF do any notable face vs. face feuds before Hogan/Warrior? I recall the concept of a face challenging another face being portrayed as tragic, or itself part of a heel turn storyline (see Andre essentially turning heel because he had the audacity to challenge a fellow good guy for the belt).

I don't recall any feuds, but there's a few face vs. face confrontations that come to mind. In the early-to-mid-80s (possibly before Vince Jr. took over), there was a battle royal that ended with two faces in the ring. One decided to just eliminate himself as a solid.

Then during the Wrestling Classic tournament, they had Ricky Steamboat vs. Davey Boy Smith. It was an extremely short match (much like the rest of the card) and ended because Davey got crotched on the ropes and they treated it as a match-ending groin injury with Ricky there to check on him and show compassion.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Wasn't there also a Tito Santana match in the Classic that was face v face and it got heated outside the ring and went to a DCOR?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Minidust posted:

Also a lot of people tend to misattribute the excellent video packages to him. That's not what his job entails!

This leads me to a follow-up question... According to Shawn Michaels' retirement speech, a "red haired kid named Adam" was responsible for the aforementioned excellent video packages. Would that have been the kid from that "George & Adam" duo that would show up in random segments during the New Generation? Doesn't seem too implausible that some A/V intern could have been pulled out for skits and commercials as he started to hone his craft.

Back in the ancient past when it was still called the WWWF, Vince Sr., booked a mini feud between then-champion Pedro Morales and former champion Bruno Sammartino, both hugely over babyfaces, that started with both guys being blinded by salt thrown by Mr. Fuji during a tag match and accidentally attacking each other. It culminated in a match at Shea Stadium that went to a 75-minute draw, with neither guy turning heel (though Sammartino reportedly did get booed by the crowd, probably because he was wrestling less often by that time) and both of them hugging it out at the end.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Nova/Simon Dean used to be referred to as the most ripped off wrestler in the business by Joey Styles. Whenever Nova would come up with a new move, somebody would steal it and use it on Raw or Nitro. I've seen references on this forum that Nova himself was using the moves that he'd seen used in Japan.

What moves was he stealing? From New Japan or All Japan or elsewhere? Also I guess I'm wondering who was stealing "Nova"'s moves on Monday Nights? Kanyon?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Nova/Simon Dean used to be referred to as the most ripped off wrestler in the business by Joey Styles. Whenever Nova would come up with a new move, somebody would steal it and use it on Raw or Nitro. I've seen references on this forum that Nova himself was using the moves that he'd seen used in Japan.

What moves was he stealing? From New Japan or All Japan or elsewhere? Also I guess I'm wondering who was stealing "Nova"'s moves on Monday Nights? Kanyon?

For that time frame, it's 99% likely that he was using Joshi moves.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I only remember him using the Air Raid Crash, which was a Mariko Yoshida move, so yeah likely joshi wrestlers.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I saw that the erstwhile Big Cass is in AEW now. Did he clean up (/ his act)? Didn't he get booted from the fed for ego reasons?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
getting his enzo surgically removed helped a lot, and he sobered up after leaving the wwe.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Basic Chunnel posted:

I saw that the erstwhile Big Cass is in AEW now. Did he clean up (/ his act)? Didn't he get booted from the fed for ego reasons?

He cleaned up and is very well liked.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Cass was by his admission in a real bad place mentally, he's since apparently gotten better

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I'd drink too if I had to hang around Nzo every loving day

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

they call him Big Bill now and again, and I can't help but think he should redub this amazing advert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sZuN0xXWLc

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
He had a pretty good hoss stint in Impact and feuded with Moose, then he showed up during the MJF/Wardlow feud to give Wardlow a big dude that he couldn't just manhandle. He's pretty fun to watch now.

Also, nZo's name is "Real 1" now because apparently MLW couldn't avoid a copyright C&D. :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the best part is that every other member of the stable he is in is driven by some self-interested, tangible competitive goal, but allegedly his motivation is that he just doesn't get enough hugs.