Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

I can understand critiques of RoP, but even if the dumbest of the leaks is true (and they are terrible ideas) it won’t be half as awful as Shadow of War’s story.

Yeah but that's a video game they don't really have "stories".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

:dafuq:

Have you been watching the show?
Yes and it's barely grazed the surface of Shadow of War's lore-bortion.

rkd_ posted:

Isn’t this a big theme of LoTR though?
In a lot of ways, yes, but Tolkien wasn't overly explicit about redemption for a number of entities in ME. Kind of feel like that's something he would've written about were it important to the Nazgul as characters, rather than them serving as a warning to men.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

link to the leaks please

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

rkd_ posted:

Also gently caress Halbrand looks a lot like Viggo’s Agagorn.

The rumors that they wanted to do a "Young Aragorn" show make me wonder if he was their choice for that and then they just kept him when they switched gears. There are definitely a few scenes where it's a really uncanny resemblance.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shadow of War got the rights to Shelob and said,"Okay but what if the giant, unfathomable monstrosity that is Ungoliant's greatest remaining spawn was actually the main character's super-hot Goth Girlfriend?"

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Lore dump

All dragons in LOTR were created by Morgoth and were loyal to him. Fish-dragons (aka Sea-Serpents), like the one we saw in that wrecked the raft, are dragons that have adapted to life in the sea.

Sauron was one of Morgoth's top lieutenants. but since the dragons reported to Morgoth, it's not likely that Sauron could order the dragons around. Most of them would see themselves as his equal. However, it's not impossible that a fish-dragon would aid Sauron if called upon. Or that a fish-dragon would have a bone to pick with Sauron due to some 2000 year old grudge and would be out for his blood.

This is also the reason why Gandalf wanted to kill Smaug so badly, he feared the Sauron/Smaug power team would be unstoppable and utterly destructive.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
you make it sound like recruiting a Hobbit was his nuclear button

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

It's more that he risked an innocent person, something abhorrent to Gabdalf, because he realized Hobbits have an intrinsic ability for stealth, and the greater good demanded it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The whole shire would be kindling and barbecue if he failed, so it was more harm reduction than anything.

E: is "dragon greed" a thing? I thought that was 100% the Arkenstone.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Dragon greed is 100% in the lore. Glaurung chilled in Nargothrond for a while after he destroyed it just sleeping on a pile of gold, until he got woken up again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Was it ever definitively established wheat the Arkenstone was? Just a big rear end bit of Mithril/an incredibly large jewel or was it straight up a Silmaril?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ah, cool. And it's contagious kinda? Like part of the desolation effect around lonely mountain?

E: a lore guy did a cool presentation on why it isn't a silmaril but I can't find the link

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Was it ever definitively established wheat the Arkenstone was? Just a big rear end bit of Mithril/an incredibly large jewel or was it straight up a Silmaril?

The short answer: no, it's not a silmaril

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJmMDWsYarE

moths posted:

Ah, cool. And it's contagious kinda? Like part of the desolation effect around lonely mountain?

E: a lore guy did a cool presentation on why it isn't a silmaril but I can't find the link

Contagious dragon-sickness was an invention of Peter Jackson. Dwarves are greedy motherfuckers in Tolkien's lore and predisposed to being assholes about money, but Tolkien never implied that this was a disease you could catch from dragon gold. At most it's ambiguous in his writing.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

I can understand critiques of RoP, but even if the dumbest of the leaks is true (and they are terrible ideas) it won’t be half as awful as Shadow of War’s story.

Big Titty Goth gf Shelob was a novel take on "Daughter of Primordial Spider-entity that Literally Ate the Light of the World." that brought a lot of vim and vigor to the game.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Omnicarus posted:

Big Titty Goth gf Shelob was a novel take on "Daughter of Primordial Spider-entity that Literally Ate the Light of the World." that brought a lot of vim and vigor to the game.

So you're saying that this show needs a Big Titty Goth in it?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Sure why not, couldn't hurt

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Everyone posted:

100%

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Introducing the sexiest orc, Gothbroad, who will announce that milk is back on the menu.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Everyone posted:

it already has someone literally named Daddy

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Everyone posted:

This is Poppy's season 2 arc.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

stev posted:

Rings of Power Season 2: Small Harfoot, Big Titties.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

stev posted:

Goth Nori is more likely.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Moltke posted:

The short answer: no, it's not a silmaril

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJmMDWsYarE

Contagious dragon-sickness was an invention of Peter Jackson. Dwarves are greedy motherfuckers in Tolkien's lore and predisposed to being assholes about money, but Tolkien never implied that this was a disease you could catch from dragon gold. At most it's ambiguous in his writing.

Other way around. Tolkien specifically mentions the dragon-sickness in the Hobbit, at least, while Peter Jackson made the arkenstone itself act literally just like the ring, stupidly.

He did the same thing with the palantir, I think? At least in two towers? Might be misremembering.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kaedric posted:

He did the same thing with the palantir, I think? At least in two towers? Might be misremembering.

Sort of? Pippin's drawn to the palantir in ROTK, and Sauron is basically calling out to him through it. It's like the ring in that Pippin seeks it out after being told not to but not really, definitely not comparable to what they did with the Arkenstone.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

drunkill posted:

Goth Nori is more likely.

Gandalf: Why Nori no call last night.
Nori: I was with Poppy. We were just hanging out behind the elder's cart.
Gandalf: Why lie. Saw Jason Thistlesmeller with you.
Nori: So what? He's cool.
Gandalf: No like Jason. Jason Peril.
Nori: I don't care what you think. You're not my real dad.
(Slams table and all windows and doors magically slam shut)
Gandalf: No leave until homework done!

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Kaedric posted:

Other way around. Tolkien specifically mentions the dragon-sickness in the Hobbit, at least, while Peter Jackson made the arkenstone itself act literally just like the ring, stupidly.

Tolkien's only mention of "dragon-sickness" is as an affliction of The Master as the sort of poo poo that billionaires (*cough*) have because they love being rich and can't restrain themselves from hoarding, not as a result of a literal dragon.

It's ambiguous enough that you could interpret some sort of communicable dragon disease or curse, but the dragon-sickness of the hobbit was 100% jackson.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Pharazon is clearly actually this dude:

(Go check out Janissary Hop’s LP while you’re at it.)

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Isn't the "dragon sickness" thing inspired by Wagner's Fafnir? I know Tolkien didn't like the comparison much between their respective magic rings, but the former seems pretty similar in spirit (though CS Lewis was even more blatant with Eustace actually turning into a dragon).

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Moltke posted:

Tolkien's only mention of "dragon-sickness" is as an affliction of The Master as the sort of poo poo that billionaires (*cough*) have because they love being rich and can't restrain themselves from hoarding, not as a result of a literal dragon.

It's ambiguous enough that you could interpret some sort of communicable dragon disease or curse, but the dragon-sickness of the hobbit was 100% jackson.

I always kind of saw it as an intersection between a preexisting tendency (greed in Dwarves) and the mystical/psychological/spiritual effect "a dragon brooding over his treasure." Like you probably wouldn't want to bring an alcoholic to an "all-you-drink" liquor buffet or fraternity kegger or something.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Moltke posted:

You're right that it is a bit ambiguous, though there is one passage that appears to imply such a thing exists:

quote:

But also he did not reckon with the power that gold has upon which a dragon has long brooded, nor with dwarvish hearts. Long hours in the past days Thorin had spent in the treasury, and the lust of it was heavy on him.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

sauron

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kaedric posted:

You're right that it is a bit ambiguous, though there is one passage that appears to imply such a thing exists:

quote:

But also he did not reckon with the power that gold has upon which a dragon has long brooded, nor with dwarvish hearts. Long hours in the past days Thorin had spent in the treasury, and the lust of it was heavy on him.

Magic in Tolkien's works isn't usually about Fireballs or even Mind Control. It's more about inspiration or influence. Powerfully magical beings like Sauron (or Smaug) can leave metaphysical imprints of their personalities and natures upon places. Think maybe Stanley Kubrick's take on The Shining. Thorin's greed is getting its Jack Torrence on with that dragon's hoard.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Everyone posted:

Magic in Tolkien's works isn't usually about Fireballs or even Mind Control. It's more about inspiration or influence. Powerfully magical beings like Sauron (or Smaug) can leave metaphysical imprints of their personalities and natures upon places. Think maybe Stanley Kubrick's take on The Shining. Thorin's greed is getting its Jack Torrence on with that dragon's hoard.

That sounds cool, hopefully we get a LOTR show to show off Tolkien's magic

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Everyone posted:

I always kind of saw it as an intersection between a preexisting tendency (greed in Dwarves) and the mystical/psychological/spiritual effect "a dragon brooding over his treasure." Like you probably wouldn't want to bring an alcoholic to an "all-you-drink" liquor buffet or fraternity kegger or something.

Everyone posted:

i see Thorin's downfall this way as well, not as a result of a literal disease that comes with fevers, chills, and hallucinations ala Peter Jackson's interpretation.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Barreft posted:

That sounds cool, hopefully we get a LOTR show to show off Tolkien's magic

We've already gotten a little bit of that with the abandoned Sauron fortress where fire didn't provide heat.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
gandalf and the wizards are angels who sailed across the ocean to help man defeat sauron but man had to do it themselves so the wizards took on the forms of old men who would help the people of middle earth defeat sauron but were not allowed to use the full extent of their powers to confront him

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 28, 2022

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Ents have twig dicks.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

link to the leaks please

link the leaks. stop being coy about the leaks, for i wish to read them

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

link the leaks. stop being coy about the leaks, for i wish to read them

I heard them in a 6-hour-long twice weekly non-English podcast 3-4 weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Spoilers: Sauron gets dunked on like a bitch and explodes and all his orcs die