Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I was watching a Black Mirror episode about how this programmer traps digital clones of his coworkers in a star trek knockoff and forces them to play along. Like Wandavision but not as good.

But what bugged me the most is he would PAUSE GAME to go get a pizza outside the VR world yet nothing would be paused. Not the other characters, not the background, nothing.

Not to mention the fact that the digital clones had large amounts of time to figure out how to "escape" their hell. This guy designed the world, why couldn't he just freeze and unfreeze everyone at will?

Also, given how much every poor NPC lusted for the sweet release of death you'd think they would do a better job of trying to instigate situations where they would die. The Khan dude hoped he'd get killed if he did a good enough job as a bad guy, but it would have worked better if he caused the captain to panic and kill him accidentally somehow. And yeah, it's the programmer's world and I guess he could just resurrect him, but I mean you got nothing to lose at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Kramdar posted:

That reminds me of my one friend's only request in a Hulk movie, he just wanted to see Hulk beat the poo poo out of (insert Hulk villian or Thing) and have Hulk say "Hulk Smash".

I think that's a cartoon. Not that I'd hate a minimal story Hulk smashing poo poo for 2 hours movie.

Bussamove posted:

She-Hulk is fun in a dumb goofy way but it mainly reminds me that I really want a Wong show.

Not like, saving the world or anything. Just Wong doing Wong things.

As far as a character that I'd wanna just see what they are doing goes Wong is pretty much the top. He's gotta have some poo poo cookin'.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Panfilo posted:

I was watching a Black Mirror episode about how this programmer traps digital clones of his coworkers in a star trek knockoff and forces them to play along. Like Wandavision but not as good.

But what bugged me the most is he would PAUSE GAME to go get a pizza outside the VR world yet nothing would be paused. Not the other characters, not the background, nothing.

Not to mention the fact that the digital clones had large amounts of time to figure out how to "escape" their hell. This guy designed the world, why couldn't he just freeze and unfreeze everyone at will?

Also, given how much every poor NPC lusted for the sweet release of death you'd think they would do a better job of trying to instigate situations where they would die. The Khan dude hoped he'd get killed if he did a good enough job as a bad guy, but it would have worked better if he caused the captain to panic and kill him accidentally somehow. And yeah, it's the programmer's world and I guess he could just resurrect him, but I mean you got nothing to lose at that point.

I would simply have a mouth and scream

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
So much of black mirror was just "a digital copy of a person is being tortured" and sure whatever, but that person is happily dead, so you're just torturing an effigy. Same problem with that clone movie with Schwarzenegger where everybody thinks they're coming back, but actually it's just a clone with a memory download and nobody seems to be worried about their actual consciousness dying the first time around. Doesn't come up

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Isn't "a digital copy of a person is being tortured" basically Roko's Basilisk?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mauser posted:

So much of black mirror was just "a digital copy of a person is being tortured" and sure whatever, but that person is happily dead, so you're just torturing an effigy. Same problem with that clone movie with Schwarzenegger where everybody thinks they're coming back, but actually it's just a clone with a memory download and nobody seems to be worried about their actual consciousness dying the first time around. Doesn't come up

On the contrary, in the Schwarzenegger clone movie the evil guy wants to transfer his consciousness into his clone body because he is dying and the clone goes "lol no, gently caress off". The movie is surprisingly good for late era Arnold.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I watched Last Action Hero again last night, for the first time since probably the '90s. The primary villain brings the last villain into the real world etc etc fine

But somehow Death from The 7th Seal is also The Actual Death?? Also, at least one full wink to the audience about a sequel, but then Death tells the kid he dies a grandfather so there goes any tension

Spoilers for a movie that's nearly 30 years old, I guess

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Mauser posted:

I remember a scene from the Schwarzenegger movie where the villain has this realization when his replacement shows up. I could be misremembering since I can’t even remember the name of the movie though.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The clone one is The 6th Day

you're probably thinking of End of Days or Collateral Damage

or misremembering Last Action Hero

or didn't notice that Mauser was talking about the Schwarzenegger movie The 6th Day

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They do kinda blur together. See also Twins.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

My only IIMM from Last Action Hero is that they hamfisted the 'I'll be back' line joke. It comes out of nowhere, and Arnold is like 'Ha! I bet you didn't guess I'd say that!'

Other than that, I freakin' loved that movie and have probably seen it 30 times.

edit: well poo poo, now I'm going to go listen to the soundtrack

lord funk has a new favorite as of 12:00 on Sep 28, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

lord funk posted:

My only IIMM from Last Action Hero is that they hamfisted the 'I'll be back' line joke. It comes out of nowhere, and Arnold is like 'Ha! I bet you didn't guess I'd say that!'
For sure, but it's hilarious when he fucks with it later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLr89nWoB_s

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

I pretty much let Last Action Hero slide on all it's bits just because they went hard to make fun of movies like itself. I know it deserves it, but there's too much I like to be able to focus on the dumb stuff.

I also recently watched Roadhouse and I can't get over some things. They have enough people to have this town with it's own hospital and fodder for nightly brawls, but are there no normal citizens that'd call the cops, FBI, state troopers, or any authority about things like someone driving a monster truck through the car shop? Does the rich dude have everyone so scared of his like 5 henchmen showing up that nobody is willing to say "hey, that's hosed up"? Are there even any cops in the movie because I don't even remember seeing like a couple dirty cops paid to look the other way?
How much are tables and chairs in this world? They are lovely tables that snap in half if you bump into them so probably pretty cheap and I'd not expect anyone to buy nice furniture when it's not gonna last a few days before someone gets slammed through it, but still the furnishing industry must be booming.
Has the Double Deuce ever considered banning people that are involved in mass destruction and violence in the bar?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The scene in the 6th Day is that the bad guy gets hit with a fatal blow, and creates a clone of himself as he is dying on the cloning table. The clone wakes up, immediately gets up and starts pilfering the dying man's pockets and glasses and stuff. The dying guy weakly asks "You're not even going to wait until I'm dead?" to which the clone just shurgs slightly, looks at him, and asks "Would you?"

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

nesamdoom posted:

I also recently watched Roadhouse and I can't get over some things. They have enough people to have this town with it's own hospital and fodder for nightly brawls, but are there no normal citizens that'd call the cops, FBI, state troopers, or any authority about things like someone driving a monster truck through the car shop? Does the rich dude have everyone so scared of his like 5 henchmen showing up that nobody is willing to say "hey, that's hosed up"? Are there even any cops in the movie because I don't even remember seeing like a couple dirty cops paid to look the other way?
How much are tables and chairs in this world? They are lovely tables that snap in half if you bump into them so probably pretty cheap and I'd not expect anyone to buy nice furniture when it's not gonna last a few days before someone gets slammed through it, but still the furnishing industry must be booming.
Has the Double Deuce ever considered banning people that are involved in mass destruction and violence in the bar?

Allow me to recommend to you Sean T. Collins' book Pain Don't Hurt: Meditations on Road House (2020).

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

lord funk posted:

Other than that, I freakin' loved that movie and have probably seen it 30 times.
In case you want new Last Action Hero Lore...https://www.filmreroll.com/?p=460 Warning: terrible Arnie impressions abound.
EDIT: The Film Reroll is an (heavily edited, thank god) actual play rpg podcast. They take a movie and have the players take the roles of different characters in it; the game starts at the start of the movie, but can deviate massively based on player decision or dice rolls.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 13:04 on Sep 28, 2022

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

In case you want new Last Action Hero Lore...https://www.filmreroll.com/?p=460 Warning: terrible Arnie impressions abound.
EDIT: The Film Reroll is an (heavily edited, thank god) actual play rpg podcast. They take a movie and have the players take the roles of different characters in it; the game starts at the start of the movie, but can deviate massively based on player decision or dice rolls.

Heck yeah, I forgot about Film Reroll! Checking it out.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

nesamdoom posted:

I also recently watched Roadhouse and I can't get over some things.

I just watched Roadhouse for the first time like a week ago. Its supposed to be a comedy, right?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I just watched Roadhouse for the first time like a week ago. Its supposed to be a comedy, right?

We didn’t have gritty back then. We had The Dukes Of Hazzard, or The Dukes Of Hazzard with tits and blood.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

nesamdoom posted:

I figured out why she hulk bothers me. The only fun part was her fighting hulk. If I wanna arch a superhero in court I'd rather watch Harvey Birdman.

There is literally no more than 6 minutes of time spent in a courtroom total in the ~7 episodes that are out.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Torquemada posted:

We didn’t have gritty back then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

lord funk posted:

That is irrational, because it was deliberate. Have you forgotten the follow-up where the kid says "You always say that!"?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FFT posted:

But somehow Death from The 7th Seal is also The Actual Death??

I'm not totally familiar with the 7th Seal, but if he's Actual Death in that film, then yeah he's actual death even in a world where death isn't personified.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I'm not totally familiar with the 7th Seal, but if he's Actual Death in that film, then yeah he's actual death even in a world where death isn't personified.
Jack Slater didn't get action movie powers, though!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

FFT posted:

Jack Slater didn't get action movie powers, though!

By the logic of an action movie, he doesn't have powers. He's just a tough dude in an absurd world, so he matches the setting. In the real world, he remains just a tough dude by real world standards because he's supposed to be "normal".

Death is explicitly supernatural, so he remains magical and powerful outside of his movie. Because he's always supposed to be otherworldly.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Crowetron posted:

By the logic of an action movie, he doesn't have powers. He's just a tough dude in an absurd world, so he matches the setting. In the real world, he remains just a tough dude by real world standards because he's supposed to be "normal".

Death is explicitly supernatural, so he remains magical and powerful outside of his movie. Because he's always supposed to be otherworldly.

Yeah, I like that logic but I wouldn't fully agree that Slater doesn't have powers. It all works out slightly differently in the "real world" but the fact remains that it still does work out, it's just a bit more intense.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

800peepee51doodoo posted:

For your benefit, yea.

Aphrodite posted:

There is literally no more than 6 minutes of time spent in a courtroom total in the ~7 episodes that are out.

how much other time is spent on dates or drinks at the pub? how much of it is spent fighting, how much is spent walking around or talking to clothers or coworkers at her legal practice job? ok, it's not hugely courtroom time, but it's time spent on less useful poo poo? also, there's gotta be more than six mins worth of poo poo in her suit against the chick using her name. i'll let it go that the parole things aren't court.. but 6 mins is low considering it's the only meat in the show

i could be wrong and there could be like 40 seconds of court per show per episode. but gently caress then why is it so long and nothing happens? the arcadia trial was longer than that poo poo and is like the main plotline?

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Episode 102: How did Tonton get famous enough to have merchandise?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I am blown away at the guy complaining that there’s a marvel show that’s not all bad CG action scenes. There’s literally like a hundred hours of that poo poo now, go, enjoy, watch your fill. She-Hulk has always been a comedy so I have no idea what you’re looking for from it that it doesn’t deliver.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mamkute posted:

Naruto Episode 102: How did Tonton get famous enough to have merchandise?

Pork barrel funding for konoha.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: The Last Action Hero.

I always refer to it as "the thinking man's Purple Rose of Cairo". Because I am smart, cultured and witty. You see.

Seriously though, the 2 bits I like is when Arnie comes home and shoots the ninja hiding in his closet, and offers a nonchalant "There's always a ninja in my closet". And the part where he explains how, even in the movie world, his life is a sad fiction filled with pain, lonliness, guilt, regret and sadness.

Oh, and Charles Dance's line performance of "I just shot a man. And I did it on purpose!" is phenomenal.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I really need to rewatch Last Action Hero, I don't think I've seen it since the 90s. Arnie saying "You're a doctor? Check his chin" and then swinging the guy at the doctor was always hysterical to me :allears:

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Rockman Reserve posted:

I am blown away at the guy complaining that there’s a marvel show that’s not all bad CG action scenes. There’s literally like a hundred hours of that poo poo now, go, enjoy, watch your fill. She-Hulk has always been a comedy so I have no idea what you’re looking for from it that it doesn’t deliver.

Humour.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

People say that exists in abundance in the rest of the MCU, too. I hear that that Robert Downey guy says a lot of funny things.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Last Action hero is a movie that adults are going to enjoy much more than children but it’s reputation is that it’s a kids movie. It’s like that kids movie “Kids” I watched with my nephews that they didn’t like at all.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Jedit posted:

That is irrational, because it was deliberate. Have you forgotten the follow-up where the kid says "You always say that!"?

Yeah yeah, I know. But in that scene, he just kind of turns around at the front door of the mansion, and is like 'I'm going to the car... I'll be back' Like, why? You were both leaving! Why would you come back? It's a good joke that could have had a better moment to deliver. So that's my IIMM.

Report: the soundtrack still kicks so much rear end. What the Hell Have I is still my favorite Alice in Chains song, and I realize now I've had it stuck in my head since 1993.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The bit where Slater hears not-metal music for the first time is hilarious.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Honestly, if a She-Hulk series isn't basically Harvey Birdman, you've already hosed up.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Byzantine posted:

Honestly, if a She-Hulk series isn't basically Harvey Birdman, you've already hosed up.

If it were funny I'd be on board. but i dunno what was the point of the ep i watched this morn. am i supposed to laugh about her group sesh? I never hear of a Prius Prime until the multiple times I heard it forced during the scene with her car. I'd love a halfway decent shehulk fart joke at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
If you hate it so much you can just stop watching y'know