Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Which one is Cecil? Is that The Umbrella Guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
They're all the same lovely guy. It's like a hydra of bigoted scam artists.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Dude made himself a name defending the sex pest at Funimation and became a comicsgate darling. Now he’s off twitter

https://twitter.com/jamaligle/status/1574844910116737029?s=46&t=4tWfgtbYzQ3n9d4gdM0pVg

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Apparently got a temp ban from YouTube as well. Maybe it'll be a permanent one some day.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Lord do I ever love when Jamal Igle calls scummy people out. Mainly because he had creeps pilling on him in the early 10s for *checks notes* giving Supergirl bicycle shorts as part of her design because to paraphrase, Ma Kent was not going to let a teenager fly around with an constant upskirt.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Lord do I ever love when Jamal Igle calls scummy people out. Mainly because he had creeps pilling on him in the early 10s for *checks notes* giving Supergirl bicycle shorts as part of her design because to paraphrase, Ma Kent was not going to let a teenager fly around with an constant upskirt.

I just can’t imagine being mad that they changed a costume like that. Just the weirdest thing to fight over

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Do you have a picture, because I don't remember that, but I also don't follow Supergirl and she's had a lot of costumes, and when I google Jamal Igle Supergirl I only get art where she's wearing a skirt.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thetoughestbean posted:

I just can’t imagine being mad that they changed a costume like that. Just the weirdest thing to fight over

Have you met angry nerds with opinions on how women's superhero costumes should look? Remember when Batgirl got a motorcycle jacket (a perfectly logical thing for her to wear since her version of the batmobile is historically a motorcycle)?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Skwirl posted:

Have you met angry nerds with opinions on how women's superhero costumes should look? Remember when Batgirl got a motorcycle jacket (a perfectly logical thing for her to wear since her version of the batmobile is historically a motorcycle)?

All I know is that the New 52 Supergirl outfit was loving dire

The boots with knee cutouts? The crotch panel? What?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

Do you have a picture, because I don't remember that, but I also don't follow Supergirl and she's had a lot of costumes, and when I google Jamal Igle Supergirl I only get art where she's wearing a skirt.
She still wore a skirt like she does in the majority of her outfits, she just wore biker shorts underneath the skirt.

quote:

According to Igle, the move to put Kara in shorts started with editor Matt Idleson.

“At the first meeting I had with him after I got the book, he said, ‘I never want to see Supergirl’s panties again.’ It was part of a larger conversation about altering the costume and making it a little more presentable. I think a lot of our readers know that, when you look at the back issues, the shirt would get tinier, the skirt’s hem would get higher, and lower on her hips. It was really uncomfortable for me to have to follow in that manner.”

Idleson’s suggestions about making Supergirl’s costume a little more presentable was reinforced by a critic that Igle could not ignore. “I showed one of those older issues to my mom, and she said, ‘She looks like a hooker.’ That’s the exact opposite of what you should be doing. In my head, because Kara is Clark’s cousin, she’s a member of the Superman Family. She wears the ‘S’. That’s supposed to stand for something.”

Igle first put the shorts in with issue #35, but they really weren’t seen by fans until #36, and then by the rooftop fight with Reactron in issue #40, they were undeniable.
This story was big enough to be covered by NPR among others. Most of the negative response came from the predictable corners, though there was also some minor backlash for the perceived conservatism/sex-shaming in Igle's comments. It was mostly proto-Comicsgate stuff though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

She still wore a skirt like she does in the majority of her outfits, she just wore biker shorts underneath the skirt.

This story was big enough to be covered by NPR among others. Most of the negative response came from the predictable corners, though there was also some minor backlash for the perceived conservatism/sex-shaming in Igle's comments. It was mostly proto-Comicsgate stuff though.

Oh yeah, that's cool, because I like the skirt as a look for stuff where she's standing or flying towards the viewer, and I haven't liked most of the costumes with pants, but gently caress the upskirt panty shots. Although, even that is better than.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh NO

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The boots with knee cutouts?

Her knees are stronger than the boots, she probably just didn't want to rip holes in the boots during fights.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Uthor posted:

Her knees are stronger than the boots, she probably just didn't want to rip holes in the boots during fights.

Then why wear boots at all?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Then why wear boots at all?

Oh it's more hosed up than that, part of the redesign was making both hers and Superman's costume's look more like armor, which is dumb as poo poo since, it's, you know, Superman and Supergirl. And if they need armor, knees is one of the places I'd really want it.

At least she's got that crotch plate protecting her.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, see, it's Kryptonian battle armor and on Krypton it is dishonorable to attack the knees and thighs of a woman, so it's okay to leave the uncovered.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

On Krypton, boots are a symbol that means "hope"

But only if they have knee-holes

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Well, see, it's Kryptonian battle armor and on Krypton it is dishonorable to attack the knees and thighs of a woman, so it's okay to leave the uncovered.

Thighs are out of line, but shins are fair game? I mean, charlie horses do suck, so maybe fair enough?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Endless Mike posted:

Weren't Superman's parents scientists? Shouldn't they have left them Kryptonian lab coats or something instead of battle armor?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Weren't Superman's parents scientists? Shouldn't they have left them Kryptonian lab coats or something instead of battle armor?

Superman's father was an average fighter but a brilliant scientist

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ImpAtom posted:

Superman's father was an average fighter but a brilliant scientist

What, what does that mean? He wasn't a good fighter so he needed the armor but he was such a good scientist he didn't even need a lab coat?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'd think a "brilliant" comic scientist could stop one little planet from exploding.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kalli posted:

I'd think a "brilliant" comic scientist could stop one little planet from exploding.

I mean he could have, in the same way the most brilliant Earth scientists could stop climate change

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Gripweed posted:

What, what does that mean? He wasn't a good fighter so he needed the armor but he was such a good scientist he didn't even need a lab coat?

It's a Dragon Ball Z joke. One of the early dubs inserted a line that Goku's father wasn't great at fighting, but invented an amazing technique.
It was something entirely invented by that dub and has become a bit of a meme since.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

On Krypton, science is considered the greatest battle one can ever have, so they wear armor to do science.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Endless Mike posted:

On Krypton, science is considered the greatest battle one can ever have, so they wear armor to do science.

Where do you think the term "Defending your dissertation" came from?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Tired: Defending your dissertation.

Wired: Defending your dissertation in the Octagon.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Don the ceremonial knee-less boots.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Hahah William Shatner just retweeted comicsgate grifter ThatStarWarsGirl

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
William shatner’s Twitter is run by a right-wing grifter, it’s not him. Hasn’t been for years.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Conrad_Birdie posted:

William shatner’s Twitter is run by a right-wing grifter, it’s not him. Hasn’t been for years.

That makes more sense

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Not that Shat is some paragon of good politics or anything

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Well no. Whoever posted it tried to get Mark Hamill to do the same. He's smarter than that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Not that Shat is some paragon of good politics or anything

He's loving 91 years old.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Tbf so is Dick Van Dyke and he’s a progressive who actively campaigned for Bernie

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skwirl posted:

He's loving 91 years old.

And he's been a lovely dude for most of them so what?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

I appreciate that she has high heels even when she doesnt have high heels.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
William Shatner's not in the comic book industry unless we want to talk about TekWar or TekWorld.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I always want to talk about TekWar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
who the gently caress doesn't want to talk about TekWar/World