Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if you have enough data, you can massage statistics to say almost anything you want

the trick is to have a specific hypothesis and a corresponding null hypothesis, and a specific test for whether or not it's acceptable to discard the null hypothesis, backed by actual math and not intuition

you cannot just toss out a number, say "this looks sus", and have it mean anything in a situation like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

Hikaru played my clip on his stream today so I'm basically famous now sorry everyone.

was it the artosis clip? i wish i didn't need to subscribe to watch the Hikaru vods

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

salt fish is yosha iglesias irl

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You caught me. It's true, I'm a FIDE International Master.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Salt Fish posted:

You caught me. It's true, I'm a FIDE International Master.

What’s your preferred brand of remote butt plug?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Starting to feel like this is criminal court vs. civil court.

Is there enough evidence to send Niemann to the metaphorical slammer? Maybe not. But enough to find him guilty in civil court and pay a big penalty (i.e. chess career is over)? Yeah, I think so.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

cheetah7071 posted:

if you have enough data, you can massage statistics to say almost anything you want

the trick is to have a specific hypothesis and a corresponding null hypothesis, and a specific test for whether or not it's acceptable to discard the null hypothesis, backed by actual math and not intuition

you cannot just toss out a number, say "this looks sus", and have it mean anything in a situation like this

chess brain is when you're good at chess and think you're good at statistics but are actually very bad at it

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Salt Fish posted:

Hikaru played my clip on his stream today so I'm basically famous now sorry everyone.

edit:

https://twitter.com/ty_johannes/status/1574780445744668673

I would think the relative strength of their opponents would have an effect on their accuracy over that time period. Magnus is a strong GM, and plays tournaments against other strong GMs. If Neimann is truly the strong GM that his rating suggests, then he's a strong GM who has spent most of the past few years playing tournaments against IMs and weak GMs.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

This statement is just "Please give me permission to assassinate your character. If you refuse people will assume you are guilty thus assassinating your character". The entire basis for the accusation of otb cheating is that Niemann "didn't look tense", because I guess there is only one Magnus Carlsen approved way to look tense? Like I get that Carlsen is the biggest name in the game and Niemann has history of cheating and generally gives off shady vibes but I would have hoped more people would point this out for the evidence free smear attempt that it is.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
People really bending over backwards to defend an ADMITTED CHEATER against the world champion because somehow the world champion has a grudge against an ADMITTED CHEATER or is salty he lost or something.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Baronash posted:

I would think the relative strength of their opponents would have an effect on their accuracy over that time period. Magnus is a strong GM, and plays tournaments against other strong GMs. If Neimann is truly the strong GM that his rating suggests, then he's a strong GM who has spent most of the past few years playing tournaments against IMs and weak GMs.

I agree with you to an extent, although some of these games are 40+ moves where he plays "perfectly".. It seems unlikely that anyone could do that against IM's and GM's rated in the 2,200 to 2,500 range, even if they were rated significantly higher.

That's why people want a comparative analysis done of a similar stretch of time with some of the other young and upcoming GM's in the world.. people who play in the same tournaments or at the very least are in the same sort of situation where they are rapidly improving as players and their FIDE rating is lagging behind their true talent levels.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it's worth noting that while I think the statistics we've seen so far are extremely shoddy, that doesn't necessarily mean that the conclusions drawn are wrong. You can come to the correct conclusion shoddily. You should just be wary. I give more weight to non-quantifiable things like "it's very unusual for a GM to not be able to explain their moves" than poorly-quantified things like the tweet up above--though I'd give even more weight to a properly done statistical analysis

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

cheetah7071 posted:

it's worth noting that while I think the statistics we've seen so far are extremely shoddy, that doesn't necessarily mean that the conclusions drawn are wrong. You can come to the correct conclusion shoddily. You should just be wary. I give more weight to non-quantifiable things like "it's very unusual for a GM to not be able to explain their moves" than poorly-quantified things like the tweet up above--though I'd give even more weight to a properly done statistical analysis

why dont you do it? this is your chance for 15 minutes of fame

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

People really bending over backwards to defend an ADMITTED CHEATER against the world champion because somehow the world champion has a grudge against an ADMITTED CHEATER or is salty he lost or something.

Ah yes World Champions are famously perfect beings who never make mistakes or bad decisions and their word should never be questioned. That is definitely supported by history. And people who have cheated in the past are cheating 100% of the time no evidence required.

If the argument is that Niemann should be banned from tournaments because of his proven, admitted cheating in the past then people should make that argument. Its not bending over backwards to ask for evidence before condemning someone and Magnus has very conspicuously avoided saying he has any evidence. Him having a hunch about cheating isn't proof, no matter how much you like the guy.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I’ve been following the buttplug saga and welp. What’s the 2022 equivalent of Chessmaster 9000? I haven’t played seriously in ages and was never very good when I did try, but now I have the power of an Adderall prescription and a pandemic to make me never go outside.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I’ve been following the buttplug saga and welp. What’s the 2022 equivalent of Chessmaster 9000? I haven’t played seriously in ages and was never very good when I did try, but now I have the power of an Adderall prescription and a pandemic to make me never go outside.

Chess.com if you support Magnus, lichess.org if you support Hans.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

lichess is dope and completely free, chess.com is run by crypto-shills

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i think it seems really likely magnus lost to hans at the sinquefield purely because he was already mad at having to play a cheater, he got even madder when hans had prepared for his opening, and that all made him play badly the rest of the game

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

totalnewbie posted:

Magnus has cheated on stream and hasn't even admitted it so I guess he's donezo too.

cheetah7071 posted:

That's not how evidence works. The non quantifiable evidence that you describe and that Magnus provides is worthless in terms of drawing a conclusion. Even statements around how unusual Hans's behavior is to relative to other GMs needs to be quantified by actually comparing to other GMs, something no one's actually done properly.

archduke.iago fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 28, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

archduke.iago posted:

Magnus has cheated on stream and hasn't even admitted it so I guess he's donezo too.

finally we all agree

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
play on chess.com when you’re sober, lichess when you’re hosed up

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Chess.com is capitalism lichess is for the people.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Lichess Anonymous: The Chess Glory Hole :smuggo:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

archduke.iago posted:

That's not how evidence works. The non quantifiable evidence that you describe and that Magnus provides is worthless in terms of drawing a conclusion. Even statements around how unusual Hans's behavior is to relative to other GMs needs to be quantified by actually comparing to other GMs, something no one's actually done properly.

I’m sure not what you’re intending by evidence here but this is not even remotely accurate if you’re attempting to describe what is and isn’t legal evidence (in US judicial system).

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Baronash posted:

I’m not sure that this is something we should expect to be true. While we might expect a worse player to have a worse match% for a number of reasons (they understand the position worse so they make fewer correct moves), I’m not sure why we would expect someone’s match% to go up because they are playing against worse opponents. It’s not like this is a literal contest of strength, where Carlsen forcibly makes moves for his opponents. The position is what it is, and best play is just as hard to find.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I find more persuasive these histograms of Hans' Let's Check values.

https://twitter.com/AaaHarkonen/status/1575050292659294210
https://twitter.com/eric_is_weird/status/1575024100438790144

Specifically this shows that Hans is *extremely inconsistent*. Sometimes he hits 100%, sometimes he plays bizarrely badly.

This counters the claims that the measure somehow inflates Hans's score, or that his high matches are due to playing weaker opponents more often. If the weaker players are giving him a high match %, who the heck is he playing to get <25% matches?

I think this also shows up an issue with Regan's analysis - that's based on averages (due to use of the z-score). But Hans's high spread means that such averages can hardly be teased out. All Hans needs to do to trick Regan's method is to play some matches deliberately badly, which will make cheating when it matters more or less invisible.

The large peak at 100 seems weird too, but I'm less sure about that.

cheetah7071 posted:

The difference between the distributions for Magnus and Hans above is easily statistically significant. The question is whether you can come up with a plausible alternative explanation.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 28, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

former glory posted:

Lichess Anonymous: The Chess Glory Hole :smuggo:

lol

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

I’m sure not what you’re intending by evidence here but this is not even remotely accurate if you’re attempting to describe what is and isn’t legal evidence (in US judicial system).

From an epistemological view, worthless statistical evidence means that you shouldn't actually adjust your assessment as to whether Hans is cheating. From a legal perspective, non-quantitative "vibes" fall into the bucket of non-expert opinion evidence which is similarly worth jack. Magnus, and other chess GM's aren't experts in statistical analysis or human behavior, and no one's done a trial on the association between cheating and providing an analysis that feels "sus."

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
It’d be really fun to see a JCS analysis ( like they did with prince Andrew and Casey Anthony) of some post-allegation Neumann interviews

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Fangz posted:

The difference between the distributions for Magnus and Hans above is easily statistically significant. The question is whether you can come up with a plausible alternative explanation.
Yeah, I just want emphasize that a difference in the sample mean or variance between Carlsen and Neiman only proves that they have a different true mean/variance, which we'd expect since they're different players.

A more fruitful line of inquiry would be testing the hypothesis that Neiman's proportion of 100% games is out of line with his rating compared to other IMs and GMs, but even that wouldn't necessarily prove anything.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

archduke.iago posted:

From a legal perspective, non-quantitative "vibes" fall into the bucket of non-expert opinion evidence which is similarly worth jack. Magnus, and other chess GM's aren't experts in statistical analysis or human behavior, and no one's done a trial on the association between cheating and providing an analysis that feels "sus."

This is not accurate at all. These are “facts.” How did he act during the match? What did you observe? How do your opponents normally act? Did you just play him on a beach before that and whip his rear end? And so on.

I wouldn’t want to hang my entire case on it but it is clearly evidence. You can weigh it however you want to.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 28, 2022

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Charles Ingalls posted:

It’d be really fun to see a JCS analysis ( like they did with prince Andrew and Casey Anthony) of some post-allegation Neumann interviews

What’s this

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

Captain Foo posted:

What’s this

A YouTube channel focusing on criminal psychology, the prince Andrew one appears to have been scrubbed from the internet(it was a hilarious breakdown of the infamous bbc interview) , but you can still view the Casey Anthony one and others

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eJt_afGN3IQ

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I feel all this focus on cheating has distracted the chess community from the real enemies in their midst: people who play 1. d4.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

This is not accurate at all. These are “facts.” How did he act during the match? What did you observe? How do your opponents normally act? Did you just play him on a beach before that and whip his rear end? And so on.

I wouldn’t want to hang my entire case on it but it is clearly evidence. You can weigh it however you want to.

"I thought he wasn't concentrating" and "I had the impression he wasn't tense" are different from "He wasn't concentrating" or "He wasn't tense," Magnus's entire statement was very carefully worded to avoid making statements of fact.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

nrook posted:

I feel all this focus on cheating has distracted the chess community from the real enemies in their midst: people who play 1. d4.
magnus was clearly fighting the good fight on this as well

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

archduke.iago posted:

"I thought he wasn't concentrating" and "I had the impression he wasn't tense" are different from "He wasn't concentrating" or "He wasn't tense," Magnus's entire statement was very carefully worded to avoid making statements of fact.

There's obviously a whole bunch of murkiness here, but I think that "my opponent wasn't acting in any way that is normal for a player in this situation" is something meaningful. These players have been playing chess for a long time, they pay attention to how their opponents act, so they do have a meaningful (even if intuitive) sense of normal behaviour. Now, sure, there are other explanations for why someone is acting abnormally, especially a goony goon like Niemann. But Carlsen (and Nepomniachtchi and Caruana and so forth) does have some level of expertise in the matter, and his intuitive sense of things is worth paying attention to.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

archduke.iago posted:

This is a silly detail but what you’re describing is a “fact” that he would be able to testify about at a hypothetical trial.

Saying “I thought he wasn’t concentrating” is a statement of fact. As in, at that moment, this is what I saw and believed. I think what you’re saying is that you wouldn’t weigh that fact very strongly, which is completely fair.

Magnus of course can’t speak to Hans’ internal mental state, nor would he be allowed to. But he can speak to what he saw, and what his impression of it was.

I think the disconnect is on what a “fact” or “evidence” is.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 28, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCy1w-P0_d8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

There's obviously a whole bunch of murkiness here, but I think that "my opponent wasn't acting in any way that is normal for a player in this situation" is something meaningful. These players have been playing chess for a long time, they pay attention to how their opponents act, so they do have a meaningful (even if intuitive) sense of normal behaviour. Now, sure, there are other explanations for why someone is acting abnormally, especially a goony goon like Niemann. But Carlsen (and Nepomniachtchi and Caruana and so forth) does have some level of expertise in the matter, and his intuitive sense of things is worth paying attention to.
if magnus went into the game already mad that he had to play a cheater, and then got even madder during the opening when hans responded perfectly, he’s obviously going to be looking for tells and body language abnormalities in a way that he just wouldn’t in any other game