Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Business as usual.
FTN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

God I hope at the end of this he gets paid for this bullshit.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Anita Dickinme posted:

God I hope at the end of this he gets paid for this bullshit.

I checked with my monkey's paw, and it says he'll receive E1 pay while he rots in the brig

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
His pay will also be stayed until he is finally released from navy scapegoat jail. At which point he will be hit for taxes as if that sudden onetime payout had been his yearly income during the whole period.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SerthVarnee posted:

His pay will also be stayed until he is finally released from navy scapegoat jail. At which point he will be hit for taxes as if that sudden onetime payout had been his yearly income during the whole period.

Is his jail cell treated as untaxable like BAH at least?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Is his SA account called Crab Dad? If no, then lol he is hosed.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
glad to see that not being all hooyah all the time is still an indictment in the world's greatest navy

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

glad to see that not being all hooyah all the time is still an indictment in the world's greatest navy

:chiefsay:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SerthVarnee posted:

I still got paid on the 1st and 15th every month for the year I was waiting for my trial. He’s getting paid.

I just hope he gets more.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anita Dickinme posted:

I still got paid on the 1st and 15th every month for the year I was waiting for my trial. He’s getting paid.

I just hope he gets more.

Woah, you had to go through a loving court martial?

If you wouldn’t mind- could you share with us what happened? I sat on a court martial jury once, and was a witness in 2 other unrelated courts martial.

Did you beat the charges? Use a private attorney? JAG?

I’m not looking to judge or anything man, I just get fascinated by the legal side of military things sometimes just because of a few unique experiences I had.

Anyway, thanks!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

SerthVarnee posted:

lmao great system, love to see it

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Oh man, is the Military "justice" system completely contrived bullshit, devoid of any of the rights or protections of the ordinary and still super lovely normal American justice system?

This is upsetting news if so.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Woah, you had to go through a loving court martial?

If you wouldn’t mind- could you share with us what happened? I sat on a court martial jury once, and was a witness in 2 other unrelated courts martial.

Did you beat the charges? Use a private attorney? JAG?

I’m not looking to judge or anything man, I just get fascinated by the legal side of military things sometimes just because of a few unique experiences I had.

Anyway, thanks!

Was accused with two charges of assault. Sat in the brig for almost 13 months waiting for trial, mostly due to COVID loving up my first trial date, and took a misdemeanor plea deal for one and went to trial and was found not guilty of my second charge. My dad works for a law firm so the partners in that firm actually spoke and worked with my lawyers to come up with a plan but my dad’s firm believed my JAGs were actually competent so we let them defend me which turned out well.

Basically just tried to visualize myself on deployment and enjoyed my big chunk of cash I saved up when I got out the brig and out the Navy when I hit my EAOS a few weeks later.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I don't think the Navy could not have a court martial if there is any indication that it might be arson according to NCIS and ATF. That would (and may still) become some sort conspiracy meme for years. If the ProPub article is accurate, I suspect the whole trial is going to result in a frustrating, inconclusive acquittal instead of an easy yes or no.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Anita Dickinme posted:

Was accused with two charges of assault. Sat in the brig for almost 13 months waiting for trial, mostly due to COVID loving up my first trial date, and took a misdemeanor plea deal for one and went to trial and was found not guilty of my second charge. My dad works for a law firm so the partners in that firm actually spoke and worked with my lawyers to come up with a plan but my dad’s firm believed my JAGs were actually competent so we let them defend me which turned out well.

Basically just tried to visualize myself on deployment and enjoyed my big chunk of cash I saved up when I got out the brig and out the Navy when I hit my EAOS a few weeks later.

Sorry to hear that - glad you were able to find some upside from such a terrible loving process.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Ugh my ship is such a loving joke. I come in this morning to find:

On every quick-acting water-tight door on the main deck.

This is where we're at. Something everybody already knows, that some people are just too loving lazy to do, and instead of just having the LPOs or whomever put it out at quarters, we hang signs like we're in loving kindergarten. So loving stupid.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

This is where we're at. Something everybody already knows, that some people are just too loving lazy to do, and instead of just having the LPOs or whomever put it out at quarters, we hang signs like we're in loving kindergarten. So loving stupid.

Aren't Zebra doors supposed to be open except in cases of setting material condition Zebra/GQ? Zebra doors are doors normally kept open in order to facilitate normal traffic of personnel and materials. I'd be mighty loving pissed if someone dogged all the zebra doors on the main deck and we weren't at GQ.

Your command is loving stupid.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

orange juche posted:

I'm sure this is accurate

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

orange juche posted:

Aren't Zebra doors supposed to be open except in cases of setting material condition Zebra/GQ? Zebra doors are doors normally kept open in order to facilitate normal traffic of personnel and materials. I'd be mighty loving pissed if someone dogged all the zebra doors on the main deck and we weren't at GQ.

Why would anyone read a manual? Gotta be battle ready 100% of the time. Better crawl in those bilges and wipe up the oil smears.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

lol that is embarrassing. Why isn't you command smoking the whole crew for loving something so basic up?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

What the actual gently caress.

This screams amateur Navy.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

US Berder Patrol posted:

lmao great system, love to see it

I'm just a civilian making smartass jokes.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

u/ComeAbout posted:

I NAMED THESE

So one of my last official functions in the Navy was test wearing these things.

The Navy is using my suggested name, “Two Piece Organizational Clothing”, or 2POC, and you’re goddamn right it’s a Tupac reference.

“All eyez on me” was my parting gift to the Navy. I think that’s cool.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Is it that time of the year when the Navy decides to change uniforms on everyone?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Is it that time of the year when the Navy decides to change uniforms on everyone?

yes

it's also a straight rip off of the CG two piece working uniform, and I wholly support it. It's so loving much better than flame resistant coveralls, and Type 3s are poo poo anyways.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 28, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Why would anyone read a manual? Gotta be battle ready 100% of the time. Better crawl in those bilges and wipe up the oil smears.

Yeah it's been like almost a decade since I stepped on a deckplate but gently caress me I'm pretty sure those doors are supposed to be open unless there's a good reason they're not.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

Yeah it's been like almost a decade since I stepped on a deckplate but gently caress me I'm pretty sure those doors are supposed to be open unless there's a good reason they're not.

I thought it was circle X that was supposed to be open and Z was actually supposed to be closed? gently caress I dunno it’s only been two years and I don’t remember.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Navy.mil posted:

X-ray is set when the ship is in almost no danger of attack or natural hazards. All doors labeled with a black X should remain closed when not in use. Yoke is set at sea, when entering or leaving port, and in port. All doors labeled with a black X or black Y should remain closed when not in use. Material condition Zebra is set during general quarters, ship-wide casualties, when entering and leaving port during wartime, or anytime the ship is in danger against fire, flooding and other damage. All doors labeled with a black X, black Y, or red Z should remain closed. Fittings labeled with a red letter Z enclosed by a black letter D, are classified as Dog Zebra and should remain closed during times of darken ship as well as for material condition Zebra.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

yes

it's also a straight rip off of the CG two piece working uniform, and I wholly support it. It's so loving much better than flame resistant coveralls, and Type 3s are poo poo anyways.

I wholly support a two-piece uniform, never been a fan of carefully rolling up my coveralls to poop.

Flame retardant coveralls were a great idea, the latest version also serves as 12 cal/cm² arc flash gear, just in general the newest FRVs are decent.

The first generation though Holy loving poo poo what a disaster, those pieces of poo poo would tear if you looked at them wrong, coming off our first deployment with them we looked like we had been in a Russian POW camp, our coveralls were in rags, we never got new ones, and for unrelated reasons we spent two months on an average of 1,000 calories a day, so they didn't fit anyone correctly.

My ERUL had kept his sleeves rolled on his main poopy all deployment, when we started transiting the Atlantic we started running drills and he had to roll the sleeves down, up to 75% of the material at each crease was missing, in a perfect razor-sharp line.

What I'm saying is that no matter how flame resistant the fabric, it's probably not very effective if there's giant holes in it and supply never orders you new ones.

Unrelated, I've relaxed my "uniform policy" that I set for myself at my job, and I've started wearing a lovely themed t-shirt on Fridays instead of my normal short-sleeve button down work shirt. And I'm glad this thread exists to remind me how happy I am to be a civilian.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

What kind of Navy lets their sailors go two months on a starvation diet?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wibla posted:

Is this a serious question? The answer is the US Navy lol.

Supply forgot to order food for the ship? Guess your unrep is fuel and ammo only no dry stores or perishables.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Wibla posted:

The USN?
I feel like 1000 - 1400 cals a day from the galley would have been the norm, unless you were one of those dudes that ate all 4 meals, and was at the front of the line for each of them.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Look, just because both reefer plants broke and all the meat rotted doesn't mean we can pull off (a relatively unimportant) mission.

Anyways, here's your half scoop of powdered eggs, our only protein source left, you'll get another after your 8 hour watch, don't worry.

Also "third mealing" is prohibited, don't even try it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I will say the cooks learned from that, our next deployment we had a crazy 119 day mission, and there was so much shelf-stable food crammed in every nook and cranny that you could still get a full plate of death pillows and a heaping pile of rice even at the end. There was probably an additional 30 days of food onboard at the end of that mission, and another 30 squirreled away in racks and pookas from all the dudes who had some serious issues from the previous deployment.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Elviscat posted:

death pillows

hamsters?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
death pillows = canned ravioli
hamsters = chicken 'cordon bleu'

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

nah, hamsters were the cordon bleu things, raviolis were death pillows

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

If you're lucky enough to get Great Value quality.

Preferred entrée of Navy cooks everywhere for midrats.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If you're lucky enough to get Great Value quality.

Preferred entrée of Navy cooks everywhere for midrats.

And they were consumed with just as much zeal as Chef Boyardee in Generation Kill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HBh_NtFRFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Thanks guys, nobody said death pillows on my cruise, but I recognize them immediately