Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

njsykora posted:

PC Building Megathread: The PC Is The GPU Support System

:sickos:

We're going with this unless someone can come up with something better.

Excellent.

Haven't gotten to the recommended parts yet, probably tomorrow. If anyone wants anything added or wants to suggest changes feel free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Bit worried about a processor I bought on Newegg last night, I'm 90% sure the listing said shipped from US, Oct 6 - 8 estimated delivery. Now I have a tracking number through China Post I think? It's sitting in Wuhan, no estimated delivery date. Has this happened to anyone else?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

loopsheloop posted:

Bit worried about a processor I bought on Newegg last night, I'm 90% sure the listing said shipped from US, Oct 6 - 8 estimated delivery. Now I have a tracking number through China Post I think? It's sitting in Wuhan, no estimated delivery date. Has this happened to anyone else?

Was it listed as "shipped by Newegg"?

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Ha ha..... No. My dumb rear end assumed Newegg would vet their resellers enough to know where they actually ship out of. :gonk:

I guess there's no reason to assume something bad is going to happen though, they still have a week and a half to get it here. Just seemed a little suspect

loopsheloop fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 28, 2022

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

loopsheloop posted:

I guess there's no reason to assume something bad is going to happen though, they still have a week and a half to get it here. Just seemed a little suspect

My wife works selling equipment from China to other countries, so we watch this stuff pretty closely. If it makes you feel any better we've seen big improvements in shipping times. Not as big of an improvement in shipping times for things coming into China, but that's all down to Chinese policy stuff. Things are infinitely better compared to the dark times of what, a few months ago? And nothings just vanishing or anything.

Depends on a lot of things but October 6th to 8th seems reasonable if it's express.

Be glad it's shipping from Wuhan and not Beijing though, otherwise you wouldn't be getting anything until November lol.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 28, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've had a few things shipped from China in the last couple years, and it's mostly been fine. I can't remember the names of the companies offhand, but one of them had a very web 1.0 interface but it gave great information and the shipment came at a perfectly reasonable speed. Another one had a much nicer-looking website but the information it gave was vague and frustrating, but the item arrived in a timely enough fashion.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BrainDance posted:

My wife works selling equipment from China to other countries, so we watch this stuff pretty closely. If it makes you feel any better we've seen big improvements in shipping times. Not as big of an improvement in shipping times for things coming into China, but that's all down to Chinese policy stuff. Things are infinitely better compared to the dark times of what, a few months ago? And nothings just vanishing or anything.

Depends on a lot of things but October 6th to 8th seems reasonable if it's express.

Be glad it's shipping from Wuhan and not Beijing though, otherwise you wouldn't be getting anything until November lol.

I wonder when we'll start seeing this manifest in cheaper cases/S&H prices because lol

these shipping charges are still loving brutal. So are the base prices too, tbh

edit: hooray, PCPP finally has filters for PCIe nvme generations:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 28, 2022

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Has any reviewer/site/Youtuber done a good in-depth review of the ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme yet? I can't find much out there beyond the ASUS sales stuff.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Is there a quick way to check which BIOS version is needed for a processor?

I have a Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard and have updated the BIOS to F50 - AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 with a date of 11/27/2019.

I am upgrading a Ryzen 3 2200G to a Ryzen 5 5600.

I have tried to look at the AMD website, but it seems very hard to find any information other than what they want to show you.

[edit] Gigabyte website is looking more helpful than AMD!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Samadhi posted:

Has any reviewer/site/Youtuber done a good in-depth review of the ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme yet? I can't find much out there beyond the ASUS sales stuff.

Most sites don’t do board reviews because they’re all functionally the same outside of features (unless they’re cheapo garbage boards).

You’re also looking for reviews for a motherboard that only supports an unreleased CPU.

I’m also struggling to understand why anyone would need a $1000 motherboard.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you have the old processor, so just update it to as modern as you can get and it should work. the doomsday scenario is not having a processor to get the bios updated if you have an old one you're golden

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

Is there a quick way to check which BIOS version is needed for a processor?

I have a Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard and have updated the BIOS to F50 - AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 with a date of 11/27/2019.

I am upgrading a Ryzen 3 2200G to a Ryzen 5 5600.

I have tried to look at the AMD website, but it seems very hard to find any information other than what they want to show you.

[edit] Gigabyte website is looking more helpful than AMD!

Yes, Gigabyte makes the board and the BIOS. AMD’s website will not help you.

Go to the support page for your motherboard and under downloads look at the newest available bios revision.

Read everything there. Some 2200 boards require multi-step upgrades to the BIOS before you can work with a 5600x.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

loopsheloop posted:

Coincidentally, I ordered something from Newegg for the first time in years, was also shipped from China, says it was delivered two days ago and it most definitely was not. The tracking information they gave me was functionally useless.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
This is probably the wrong place to ask (please point me in the right direction if so) but, my cpu is running hard for no obvious reason, and it stops whenever I have a cpu monitor open. My first though was malware or a miner, but nothing I have scanned with has found anything. The CPU is a 10400f coupled with a 3070. Running windows 10.

This problem only started when I replaced my mobo and cpu. Like straight from the first startup, the fan ramping up to going full speed, open task manager to see what is running and it just stops.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Collateral posted:

This is probably the wrong place to ask (please point me in the right direction if so) but, my cpu is running hard for no obvious reason, and it stops whenever I have a cpu monitor open. My first though was malware or a miner, but nothing I have scanned with has found anything. The CPU is a 10400f coupled with a 3070. Running windows 10.

This problem only started when I replaced my mobo and cpu. Like straight from the first startup, the fan ramping up to going full speed, open task manager to see what is running and it just stops.

Have you looked at temps?

Did you install a fresh windows? New CPU/motherboard generally requires new windows.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Did you install a fresh windows? New CPU/motherboard generally requires new windows.

it really doesn't

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Have you looked at temps?

Like HWiNFO? This produces the same result as tm, it settles down.

TheFluff posted:

it really doesn't

That's what I thought.

It just seems a bit sus that task manager and HWiNFO both affect what the processor is doing. Like it was hiding mining activity, something I know they do, but antimalwarebites and windows defender find nothing. Some other scanner?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TheFluff posted:

it really doesn't

This is not the case. You are incorrect.

It’s mostly fine if you’re replacing only the CPU, but if you’re switching motherboard and CPU, you’re looking at a whole host of new drivers, new chipset, etc.

My money for this issue is on a driver conflict. You could try nuking all the old drivers and installing the correct ones.

Collateral posted:

Like HWiNFO? This produces the same result as tm, it settles down.

That's what I thought.

It just seems a bit sus that task manager and HWiNFO both affect what the processor is doing. Like it was hiding mining activity, something I know they do, but antimalwarebites and windows defender find nothing. Some other scanner?

The likelihood of a miner or malware happening to execute directly on a new CPU install is low.

My guess is there’s some kind of sensor being misread because if incorrect drivers, and when you launch an actual monitoring program it’s correcting for the moment.

If you have an extra drive laying around, install windows to it real fast (even over USB is fine for this) and see what happens.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

It’s mostly fine if you’re replacing only the CPU, but if you’re switching motherboard and CPU, you’re looking at a whole host of new drivers, new chipset, etc.

My money for this issue is on a driver conflict. You could try nuking all the old drivers and installing the correct ones.

My current Windows 11 was originally installed as Windows 7 (I think, might even be migrated from XP, it's been so long) and has been through two motherboard+CPU upgrades, three or four GPU upgrades and at least two disk migrations. The idea that hardware upgrades introduce a need for reinstalling Windows has not been true for decades. I had to ask Microsoft for a manual license reactivation last time I switched motherboards, but that's it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

This isn't worth having an argument about, really, but you are wrong here. Windows has handled CPU/motherboard changes quite gracefully since Win7 and it's mostly painless on Win10 and 11 as long as you have a digital license tied to a MS account.

Drivers are not an issue, you install them on first boot (it might take several reboots to get everything set up properly). Pro tip is to download them before you swap over, in case the NIC isn't supported (very rare these days).

Microsoft even has a handy article describing the steps you (might) need to take when you replace the motherboard.

Here's another answer that goes into more detail.

My guess is there’s some kind of sensor being misread because if incorrect drivers, and when you launch an actual monitoring program it’s correcting for the moment.

OP: I would uninstall any tools like ai suite, speedfan etc that might be mucking things up, and check the fan profile in BIOS.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Can't decide between Raphael and Raptor? ASRock has just the board for you!

https://twitter.com/GoFlying8/status/1575141571845971968?s=20&t=YxZHTBe0DwKlh9FtTW9xPQ

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.
What country are you in? USA
Do you live near Microcenter? Yes
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? Up to 1500
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Max FPS (144+) at 1080P - Using an Asus VG248QE at 144hz and I tend to play competitive FPS (CSGO, Apex) and survival crafty games. Flexible on quality as long as it's visually clear.

Here's my list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/StoopKid557/saved/#view=TJ6fdC

Any egregious errors or new products coming down the pipeline I should consider waiting on? I've got a bit more wiggle room in the budget. I expect this would be a large improvement over my i5 4690K + GTX 980. Thank you for taking a look!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly I’d suggest getting the i5 13th gen or waiting a bit for more benchmarks to come out because on paper it seems like it should be a pretty decent boost over the 12th gen you have there. It’s about $100(ish) more though.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the 12400 can't reliably use RAM above 3200 MHz so you shouldn't bother with the 3600 MHz RAM you have there, & that's not a good value SSD, the WD SN570 is much faster & has much higher endurance for only $10 more

you could wait until january for the 13400 but you don't really need to. if you have room in the budget for a little more then waiting a month for the 13600K could make sense too but it's hardly a necessity

lih fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 29, 2022

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

lih posted:

the 12400 can't reliably use RAM above 3200 MHz so you shouldn't bother with the 3600 MHz RAM you have there

drat, is this universal across Intel's stack? That's a little disappointing, I was sketching out a 13600K with DDR4-3600. Or is this dependent on motherboard? I saw that even B660 explicitly supports RAM overclocking.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's a non-K thing. You can't increase IMC voltages on non-K CPUs, so they may not be able to run faster memory, or something like that. (I don't really know how intel memory overclocking works)

I have not seen any of handful of people here who have bought DDR4-3600 with their non-K CPUs come back to say it hasn't worked for them, so it doesn't seem to be a universal thing, but there is a risk you'll have to run the memory at lower speeds than 3600.

lih
May 15, 2013

for alder lake, 3200 is the max that's officially supported for DDR4, but the K CPUs can go higher than that. raptor lake has the same spec but you'd expect the K CPUs at least should be able to go higher than 3200 without issue.

the 12400's ability to go above 3200 seems to just be silicon lottery, there are some reports of people getting it to work but it's not at all something you can rely on.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

So that means that non-K CPUs can only run DDR4 at 1.2V and DDR5 at 1.1V?! That's crazy, almost every memory kit calls for more. JEDEC timings suck regardless of clock speed, and that's going to limit you to JEDEC.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

So that means that non-K CPUs can only run DDR4 at 1.2V and DDR5 at 1.1V?! That's crazy, almost every memory kit calls for more. JEDEC timings suck regardless of clock speed, and that's going to limit you to JEDEC.

You can run higher memory voltages. 1.35V DDR4-3200 will run just fine. That's independent of CPU voltages, which are locked on non-K CPUs.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

You mentioned that you can't increase memory controller voltages, which are what the memory runs at?

Edit: googling around some, it looks like no alder chips can reliably run DDR4 faster than JEDEC.... Which seems like a great reason to go DDR5 instead. Interesting.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 29, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

My understanding, which may be wrong, is that DDR sticks have their own voltages and the memory controller has its own. You can absolutely run non-JEDEC DDR4 kits reliably with non-K CPUs. You just can't always run them at very high speeds (e.g. DDR4-3600 and up) because doing so may require modifying voltages that can't be modified on non-K CPUs.

We've recommended DDR4-3200 to people getting the 12400 or other non-K CPUs a shitload of times here and no one has ever posted that it hasn't worked for them.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 29, 2022

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

It’s kind of crazy to read that 3200 is max. I had no idea such limitations existed for non K cpus.

My 9600k is on 32gigs of DD4 3600 c18 I lowered to C16.

Well thats why you post before you buy.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

spunkshui posted:

It’s kind of crazy to read that 3200 is max. I had no idea such limitations existed for non K cpus.

A quick Google found people on Reddit suggesting that the DDR4 support on 12th gen is much worse than 9th/10th, but you can obviously use DDR5 instead.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It looks like Newegg is running a 15% off deal on a bunch of stuff including video cards when using that "ZIP" payment plan service (up to $100 off). This can help you get some below-MSRP deals on some video cards, but be extremely careful when using it. These services are awfully predatory, so you have to know what you're getting into. Do not purchase anything through it unless you already have the full amount saved away in advance and there's zero risk of you being unable to meet a payment. This will appear on your credit record, and it can absolutely gently caress your credit up if something goes wrong.

spunkshui posted:

It's not a hard-and-fast max. I really think this is a thing where a few people somewhere couldn't get 3600 to work with their 12400 and now everyone's paranoid. But being paranoid can be fine if you don't want to risk wasting money.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 29, 2022

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I bought this 3600Mhz memory with a 12400 (no one in this thread warned me not to!!) and my BIOS is showing my memory speed as 3591.21Mhz, does this mean it's running at the right speed or would the BIOS be misreporting it?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

oh no computer posted:

I bought this 3600Mhz memory with a 12400 (no one in this thread warned me not to!!) and my BIOS is showing my memory speed as 3591.21Mhz, does this mean it's running at the right speed or would the BIOS be misreporting it?

That means it's working fine.

lih
May 15, 2013

there were some early reports of the 12400 benefitting from memory overclocking, but then as more people tried it became clear that it was just a silicon lottery thing & not something you can rely on at all. if you want to bother with manually tuning the timings for 3200 if 3600 doesn't work then that's fine though.

i have no idea where you're getting the 'ddr4 support is terrible on alder lake and you can't do better than bad jedec timings' stuff from though

lih fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 29, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It looks like Newegg is running a 15% off deal on a bunch of stuff including video cards when using that "ZIP" payment plan service (up to $100 off). This can help you get some below-MSRP deals on some video cards, but be extremely careful when using it. These services are awfully predatory, so you have to know what you're getting into. Do not purchase anything through it unless you already have the full amount saved away in advance and there's zero risk of you being unable to meet a payment. This will appear on your credit record, and it can absolutely gently caress your credit up if something goes wrong.

It's not a hard-and-fast max. I really think this is a thing where a few people somewhere couldn't get 3600 to work with their 12400 and now everyone's paranoid. But being paranoid can be fine if you don't want to risk wasting money.

Yes, my quick googling says its a stability risk rather than a hard lockout. You can get 3600 and absolutely try to get 3600mhz on a 12400. Worst risk is you spent $10 extra and have to run at 3200, which ain't bad.

I'd probably focus on getting CL-16 though over 3600.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Stoop Kid posted:

What country are you in? USA
Do you live near Microcenter? Yes
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? Up to 1500
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Max FPS (144+) at 1080P - Using an Asus VG248QE at 144hz and I tend to play competitive FPS (CSGO, Apex) and survival crafty games. Flexible on quality as long as it's visually clear.

Here's my list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/StoopKid557/saved/#view=TJ6fdC

Any egregious errors or new products coming down the pipeline I should consider waiting on? I've got a bit more wiggle room in the budget. I expect this would be a large improvement over my i5 4690K + GTX 980. Thank you for taking a look!

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#ff=ddr4&S=3200,4600&Z=32768002&L=25,160&sort=price&page=1

Sort by price and pick whatever is cheap when you're ready to trigger pull. Its all basically the same anyway.

Better to size up the PSU if you can, for basically the same price. Either

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QdgFf7/corsair-rm750-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020234-na
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qH4Ycf/evga-supernova-750-g6-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g6-0750-x1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

lih posted:

i have no idea where you're getting the 'ddr4 support is terrible on alder lake and you can't do better than bad jedec timings' stuff from though

I might just be confusing myself, I've always set RAM timings / voltages manually before rather than using XMP, but I'm seeing a whole lot of 12600k and 12900K owners dealing with crashes or outright failure to boot. I also wonder if the memory they're using is on the motherboard QVL list, or what else is going on, but this looks pretty wild, especially because people have been recommending against DDR4-3200 for AMD Zen 3 processors and nudging people to DDR4-3600 to 4000: