Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Barreft posted:

I never read F&B part 1 cause I knew GRRM wouldn't finish the story, so this is all a surprise to me. I like it
i read and enjoyed it (kinda fun reading what is basically a fake history of Rome but what if emperors had dragons) but remember almost nothing outside of the vague outline so all of these are nice surprises too lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

That’s…actually legit a good point and makes it far less stupid.

I don't know. Wearing the pin that will associate you with being the brother of the Strongs, in order to get in there and kill them? pretty risky.

It could've used a 2 minute or something beforehand to show this guy has Varys-like spider connections.

It felt like the whole episode could've used an extra 10 minutes. Daemon's family alone I thought could've helped flesh him out a bit, I heard the scene was cut? Still really liked it though!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"Stop! Who goes there?"
*taps pin*
"Oh, skulking bug guys. Alright, y'all can come in."

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

She tried to directly address it in the previous episode by attempting to betroth her oldest son to Alicent's oldest daughter. Which would have probably solved the issue pretty neatly but Alicent is insanely paranoid and prideful and sees it as a plot
I liked that plot point a lot because marriage was historically a major way people avoided war. It didn’t always work but it’s a terrific echo of actual practices.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

"Stop! Who goes there?"
*taps pin*

"So you're an emissary of the House Strong?"
*all thieves nod*
"When did you receive this honor?"
*all thieves look at each other awkwardly while each makes casual hand gestures that bear no relation to the others*

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

That DICK! posted:

[templing fingers sagely] the notion of team alicent v. rhaenerya is an intentionally faulty premise that even the most toothless yokel peasant within the narrative rejects, which was born from the fact that every single noble is traumatized by the unnaturalness of their lot in life and seeks to inflict trauma upon others in turn

I'm on Team The System Isn't Perfect But It's The Best We've Got. I hope that the logic of feudalism triumphs over A&R and remakes them in its murderous image.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Punkin Spunkin posted:

"Stop! Who goes there?"
*taps pin*

That DICK! posted:

"So you're an emissary of the House Strong?"
*all thieves nod*
"When did you receive this honor?"
*all thieves look at each other awkwardly while each makes casual hand gestures that bear no relation to the others*

haha

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

alicent is certainly a jabroni but why are so many people here guffawing at her rejection. even if there was no question rhaenerya's bastards were trueborn she'd have reason to be paranoid about what that could mean for her boys, should enough nobles decide rhaenerya sucked. the fact that every scene involving the rhaenerya kids involves some character looking at them and saying "oh, jesus christ, come on dude" makes that concern about 1000x more reasonable

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

That DICK! posted:

alicent is certainly a jabroni but why are so many people here guffawing at her rejection. even if there was no question rhaenerya's bastards were trueborn she'd have reason to be paranoid about what that could mean for her boys, should enough nobles decide rhaenerya sucked. the fact that every scene involving the rhaenerya kids involves some character looking at them and saying "oh, jesus christ, come on dude" makes that concern about 1000x more reasonable

wait who's doing that? Alicent way many understandable reasons to be the way she is.

e: oh you meant the marriage pact. nah that's stupid she should've accepted
It at least would have borrowed time to plan something else while everyone knew Rhae's plan, like contacting her father. which seems will be in next episode but too late

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 28, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Barreft posted:

I don't know. Wearing the pin that will associate you with being the brother of the Strongs, in order to get in there and kill them? pretty risky.

It could've used a 2 minute or something beforehand to show this guy has Varys-like spider connections.

It felt like the whole episode could've used an extra 10 minutes. Daemon's family alone I thought could've helped flesh him out a bit, I heard the scene was cut? Still really liked it though!

If that’s what they were going for, it could work. It depends on how often he gives dudes that pin and has them do poo poo for him. If those are the only ones ever that’s obviously super sus.

But if that’s his livery and everyone working for him wears that? Dude is a prominent son of a major house who needs to distinguish HIS people from all the other Strongs’ people. He probably has a poo poo ton of dudes and it’s less “hey we’re the murder squad” and more “dudes wearing a work uniform.”

Of course they could immediately double down on murder squad in which case yeah, lmao. But as of now there’s a less stupid option that’s consistent with the on screen evidence. Not confident they’ll maintain it, but it’s a good point that poster had and they did good if nothing else.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Barreft posted:

wait who's doing that? Alicent way many understandable reasons to be the way she is.

e: oh you meant the marriage pact. nah that's stupid she should've accepted
It at least would have borrowed time to plan something else while everyone knew Rhae's plan, like contacting her father. which seems will be in next episode but too late

Disagree, but I will not argue it further as I am not Team Green, I am Team John Madden Using A Telestrator To Illustrate The Exact Points Where Either Team Botched The Play

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

If that’s what they were going for, it could work. It depends on how often he gives dudes that pin and has them do poo poo for him. If those are the only ones ever that’s obviously super sus.

But if that’s his livery and everyone working for him wears that? Dude is a prominent son of a major house who needs to distinguish HIS people from all the other Strongs’ people. He probably has a poo poo ton of dudes and it’s less “hey we’re the murder squad” and more “dudes wearing a work uniform.”

Of course they could immediately double down on murder squad in which case yeah, lmao. But as of now there’s a less stupid option that’s consistent with the on screen evidence. Not confident they’ll maintain it, but it’s a good point that poster had and they did good if nothing else.

Yeah i got no idea. we'll see. they've been good so far on the show, it was a minor nitpick.

At least this isn't Rings of Power

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

She tried to directly address it in the previous episode by attempting to betroth her oldest son to Alicent's oldest daughter. Which would have probably solved the issue pretty neatly but Alicent is insanely paranoid and prideful and sees it as a plot

It's a good solve on paper but it's real dumb to offer your bastard kid as a marriage pact to the person who's pissed off at you for having bastard kids

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Y'see this is where the Rhaenerya's Cowboys really botched their formation

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

New Alicent has this permanent sneer stamped on her face and it’s great, just conveys the distaste she feels for everyone and everything around her. The only time it breaks is when she’s half horrified half excited by the possibilities at the very end of the ep.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

That DICK! posted:

She should've been like Margaery to Renly and just tell the dude to bust in her after being with his SO.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That DICK! posted:

Her butt?!?!

The botched her butt?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Vanilla Bison posted:

It's a good solve on paper but it's real dumb to offer your bastard kid as a marriage pact to the person who's pissed off at you for having bastard kids

yeah that's what makes it understandable too. Her whole thing has been this seething resentment of her former friend's freedom and willingness to lie to her for over a decade. Now she's basically being told "hey one of my kids who I got by banging the strongest knight in the Seven Kingdoms should marry one of your kids from a rotting old man. But we should keep pretending they're Laenor's."

I'm wondering how much Rhaenyra understands just how much Alicent resents her, and *why* she resents her

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

yeah that's what makes it understandable too. Her whole thing has been this seething resentment of her former friend's freedom and willingness to lie to her for over a decade. Now she's basically being told "hey one of my kids who I got by banging the strongest knight in the Seven Kingdoms should marry one of your kids from a rotting old man. But we should keep pretending they're Laenor's."

I'm wondering how much Rhaenyra understands just how much Alicent resents her, and *why* she resents her

Blame Viserys

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This show is misogynist because the kids' hair only follow their father genes.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Barreft posted:

Blame Viserys

even his fuckups are understandable because he made Rhaenyra heir out of love (and lingering guilt from Rhaenys being passed over) and married Alicent because she was kind to him when he was grieving and lonely

see this is what I like about HotD compared to latter-season GoT. When people do stupid things they do them for explicable reasons. So far. They still have plenty of time for "Dany kind of forgot about the iron fleet"

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

even his fuckups are understandable because he made Rhaenyra heir out of love (and lingering guilt from Rhaenys being passed over) and married Alicent because she was kind to him when he was grieving and lonely

see this is what I like about HotD compared to latter-season GoT. When people do stupid things they do them for explicable reasons. So far. They still have plenty of time for "Dany kind of forgot about the iron fleet"

Agreed that's why I'm in.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Barreft posted:

me too 100 percent

like I remember when Battle of the Bastards happened people were like "Jon is so stupid to run after Rickon" and like, yes, it was stupid, but it was stupid for an understandable reason. That's Jon's baby brother!

Then everything after that was just stupid because D&D were stupid

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Barreft posted:

On the one hand it’d be nice if a point actually developed beyond “huh, that sucks don’t it”. On the other, I’m a messy bitch who loves drama.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

That DICK! posted:

On the one hand it’d be nice if a point actually developed beyond “huh, that sucks don’t it”. On the other, I’m a messy bitch who loves drama.

Considering Saul Gone, and we have a mass amount of garbage streaming content, I'm just glad it keeps my attention.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Wow. Um, this episode really jumped up the quality huh? I was liking it before but I was plastered to the screen the entire time for this one.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

daemon would just cowabunga aegon and aemond the second viserys died

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I hope this show keeps the quality up. It could be the later seasons of GOT making me biased, but I think I’m liking HotD more than it’s predecessor.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

stephenthinkpad posted:

This show is misogynist because the kids' hair only follow their father genes.

Well, you know, I've heard that the seed is strong.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I also recently watched some episodes here and there of GoT, I forgot how lovely some of the combat fights were.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

What if its supposed to be The SeeD is strong and Jenny of Oldstones is a reality-warped Ultimecia. In this 35 section post I will lay out the theory that

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I also recently watched some episodes here and there of GoT, I forgot how lovely some of the combat fights were.

The fight choreography has always been extremely dodgy.

There are episodes of Buffy with better fights for gently caress's sake.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pattonesque posted:

It is a plot, a plot to prevent a civil war.

Barreft posted:

She should've been like Margaery to Renly and just tell the dude to bust in her after being with his SO.
Yeah, this really would've saved her a load of trouble.

Xiahou Dun posted:

The fight choreography has always been extremely dodgy.

There are episodes of Buffy with better fights for gently caress's sake.
I am pretty sure there are episodes of Buffy with better everything than a lot of latter-day GoT.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Barreft posted:

I never read F&B part 1 cause I knew GRRM wouldn't finish the story, so this is all a surprise to me. I like it

It's much easier to finish F&B than asoiaf

the main plot points are already there in a world of ice and fire, so F&B just need to fill in some details

plus there isn't a zillion minor subplots to resolve like in the main series

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does F&B have any supernatural elements? Surprise twist? Long buried character origin stories? Nipples on breastplates? Pink Mast? If not, it's a hell lot easier to write.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does F&B have any supernatural elements? Surprise twist? Long buried character origin stories? Nipples on breastplates? Pink Mast? If not, it's a hell lot easier to write.

not anywhere near the same extent as main series

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Typo posted:

It's much easier to finish F&B than asoiaf

the main plot points are already there in a world of ice and fire, so F&B just need to fill in some details

plus there isn't a zillion minor subplots to resolve like in the main series

I think that’s what I’m really enjoying about Dragon. We aren’t visiting 23 places for only 3 minutes each per episode. We’re getting nothing but 50 mins of story in one main place, and maybe a few mins in one other.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, everything has taken place at King's Landing, Dragonstone, or the Step Stones, it's basically the opposite of GoT where they had to invent a new way of showing TV audiences maps so they know wtf is going on.

Maps really help btw, I'm reading the First Law series for the second time and the first time I had no map but now I do and I'm following things so much easier. Also I'm this guy
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1452813485700702214

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Y'know, I wonder if when the war keeps off proper and we have to start looking at scenes in other parts of Westeros the following seasons that the intro will change to the map like in the original show?

And something destroys King Goon's diorama this season of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Roman Reigns posted:

And something destroys King Goon's diorama this season of course.

A tragedy to rival the Red Wedding