Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

They drunk, I assume
I think it's some sorta radioactive mutation from a combination of sun poisoning and something Walt Disney did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OzXZGA1k3s

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

hurricane parties are a thing in SC for anything less than a 3 pretty much

Hurrigasm

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Southerners, what is your earliest Florida hurricane destruction memory?

I definitely remember food drives for MONTHS after andrew. It was almost 9/11 and OJ levels of not being able to look away from the television.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

FizFashizzle posted:

I definitely remember food drives for MONTHS after andrew. It was almost 9/11 and OJ levels of not being able to look away from the television.

definitely remember Andrew and its aftermath, felt like that went on for a long, long time

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

This thing seems like it's committed to a slow doom crawl into the coast

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

growing up in georgia, the ones that stick out in my mind were andrew (blew up florida), alberto (lol this was a tropical storm, it just flooded the hell out of georgia), and opal (spooky because it went from a cat 2 to a cat 4 in two days which was crazy back in 1995)

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Any livestreams of amateur storm chaser types putting their lives in danger for youtube fame? Or is that guy who got stranded during one of these last year and kept tweeting that his phone was about to die while other stormchasers mocked him for being an idiot for hours?

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
lol it's going to be stuck at 155 mph until landfall because the NHC hates Cat 5s.

I don't understand the political benefit behind underrating tornadoes and hurricanes.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Looking forward to seeing some shingles getting blown off of houses today :coffeepal:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

SchrodingersCat posted:

lol it's going to be stuck at 155 mph until landfall because the NHC hates Cat 5s.

I don't understand the political benefit behind underrating tornadoes and hurricanes.

I can't think of any other reason than making people that didn't evacuate not have last minute panic and try to leave after it's too late to.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I can't think of any other reason than making people that didn't evacuate not have last minute panic and try to leave after it's too late to.

if youre not panicking about a category 4 with 15+ feet surges I can't imagine bumping it to 5 is actually going to make you care.

enabled veteran
Feb 10, 2021

I think that American presidents, that position in itself, as well as American foreign policy, it has terrorism in it. CIA agents going to overthrow certain governments - they're using terrorist tactics. They're not going in there like, 'Hey, you wanna have some cake?'

SchrodingersCat posted:

The political benefit is you can blame the unpredictability of nature, and say we need to move forward with investing in better instruments for storm predictions and then announcing a private-public partnership with SpaceX to launch weather satellites into the moon.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I also just read that Cat 4 vs Cat 5 iflluences how much recovery money will be released.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/ReedTimmerAccu/status/1575135636444643329?t=qGBScSYtG9lV9fihGIMiKA&s=19

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

SchrodingersCat posted:

I don't think it is political, more about wanting to be right or accurate. Even if you say "preliminary", once a high label is applied it is really hard to walk it back.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
This semantics argument also illustrates why rating scales are generally a Bad Thing but kind of a necessary evil.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Floyd was another big one. That just wiped eastern North Carolina clean.

Also flooded all the open air vats of bright pink antibiotic enhanced hog piss and poo poo and spread it all over the low lands.

Spike in ten and twenty five year cancer rates? Couldnt be me!

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I don't think you can dog fight this hurricane Maverick

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
seems bad

https://twitter.com/efisherwx/status/1575083552357879809?s=21

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Crazypoops posted:

I don't think you can dog fight this hurricane Maverick

seems like the sort of thing we ought to be using drones for

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

if youre not panicking about a category 4 with 15+ feet surges I can't imagine bumping it to 5 is actually going to make you care.

People are really loving stupid and become hyperfocused on stuff like this, especially when everyone around them has the same focus. Can't panic about a cat 4 or all your bros will think you're a pussy. Same reason it's so loving hard to convince people that rain can be bad or that going out for a run in extreme heat is incredibly dumb.

People are going to end up in houses that are underwater because making a nuanced evaluation of risk is too hard.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Any given location in Florida might need to evacuate once every five (?) years for a hurricane? Being gone for a few days twice a decade doesn't seem like that big of an ask if you're going to live with that kind of risk dangling over your head.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SirPablo posted:

Any given location in Florida might need to evacuate once every five (?) years for a hurricane? Being gone for a few days twice a decade doesn't seem like that big of an ask if you're going to live with that kind of risk dangling over your head.

yeah and you can save up your No Income Taxes to facilitate this, it's really just a matter of budgeting appropriately.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
just put a jack under florida and lift it up

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Just had a coworker in a Teams meeting tell everyone with confidence that the hurricane has deteriorated to 115 mph winds and wont be a big deal.

ok buddy

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The relatives with two young children finally left sometime yesterday to Orlando. I was playing telephone with other family to get them out of there. Unfortunately some different family did stay but at least they don't have any small children. Good luck to those idiots.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rynn posted:

Just had a coworker in a Teams meeting tell everyone with confidence that the hurricane has deteriorated to 115 mph winds and wont be a big deal.

ok buddy

the gently caress

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rynn posted:

ok buddy

the liberal media is lying about how strong it is. get back to work

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mad.radhu posted:

the liberal media is lying about how strong it is. get back to work

time to unskew the forecast

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

I've done some dumb poo poo during hurricanes here in South Carolina but can't say I ever considered going swimming in the initial storm surge and rip tides

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/ashleyvanorny/status/1575146876810280965

platzapS has issued a correction as of 16:43 on Sep 28, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

lamentable dustman posted:

I've done some dumb poo poo during hurricanes here in South Carolina but can't say I ever considered going swimming in the initial storm surge and rip tides

More like :rip: tides

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Koirhor posted:

time to unskew the forecast

https://twitter.com/JonahFurman/status/1574813494070878210

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

NE eyewall is 192 mph holy gently caress

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

insanity

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I would have probably at least boarded that window but what do I know

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Reed is having fun

https://twitter.com/ReedTimmerAccu/status/1575147640991490050

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

actionjackson posted:

Eyewall sounds like a warlock spell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Asking people to come to work to die from COVID was just another in a long sequence of steps normalizing dying at work.

I've had managers order me to come to work when I lived two hours away and there was a foot of snow on the expressways. I told them to expect me in two days after I shoveled my way there by hand.

actionjackson posted:

Those are flight level winds but those are a sign of what's coming.