Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hadlock posted:

same car

i don't think we're going to see sustained winds beyond 40mph, probably, not in florida but we're definitely in the light green "slightly less doom" bands for thurs/friday, I think, probably 12-18 hours?

I would be sad if anything happened to your cool vintage car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I would be sad if anything happened to your cool vintage car

My cool vintage car is safely in a locked garage barn, that is even mostly weatherproof, it is my wife's german luxobarge that's currently worth more than we paid for it, and recently had serviced and detailed, I am worried about

Edit: they just replaced the power line pole in front of my house that feeds my house too, like literally last week, along with about a dozen more down around the corner and it's rained exactly once since then

Probably going to park on the upwind side of the pole, it's in the median

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 26, 2022

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I checked my battery with my multimeter, at rest it was 12.45 volts, but I didn't drive it but about 15 minutes after I roll started it from dead, and cranked it a couple of times after that from my stops, so I doubt it charged all the way. Once I cranked it up, it was about 13.5 at idle. If any of that information means anything. Perhaps it just needs to fully charge back up from whatever killed it? Or the alternator is going bad. I read resting the battery should be 12.6 and while running should be 13.8-14.4v. But that's assuming the battery is fully charged.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just because your alternator can push 13.5v across the battery does not mean that the battery has absorbed the charge yet, unless you've got a lithium battery (highly unlikely)

If your battery wasn't able to crank over the engine it's probably already dead, or has been discharged long enough + deep enough it's permanently hosed. How old is the battery? You're probably in need of your third battery if the current battery replaced the OEM battery when bought new (~5 years ago). If it hasn't completely died yet, this winter won't do it any favors

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm pretty sure battery is fine. I bought it new about a year ago, might have been a little less. Like I said, it's easily possible I left the ignition on or the lights or something. And at this point, I've cranked it back up about 4 different times testing poo poo out or during my earlier stops while I was out, and it's running like a champ even though it probably hasn't had very long to charge fully.

I tested one more thing - its idling at 13.5ishv, and if I turn on the a/c full blast, radio and headlights...it still idles at 13.5v. So that should be a good sign for my alternator, right? If I do have to replace the battery, oh well. I'm more worried about the car going into the shop for several days because that's going to be super inconvenient, so I want to check everything I can before doing that. Since it seems to be running well, I'll drive it to work the next couple of days and see if it acts up. A battery is annoying, but easy enough to just fix myself if it comes down to it.

e; I was recommended to get a charger and fully charge my battery at work tomorrow to prevent any possible fuckery, since I don't drive very far(about 10 minutes to work one way), my alternator might not have a chance to charge the battery up fully even if it is still in good health.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 26, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I don't drive very far(about 10 minutes to work one way), my alternator might not have a chance to charge up fully even if it is still in good health.

important detail

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I figure now that I have two squirt bottle things, I'd just cover the entire threading in this poo poo and if it doesn't touch the nut who cares

I'm fully fine with just blowing my loctite load on these 12? bolts?

i almost forgot about the nut ends of the outer tie rod and the nut that attaches to the knuckle, I can probably do that too.

Oh, and the two bolts for the ABS sensor

should I do this on the control arm ball joint?, probably not, just thinking of what to do to reduce rust going forward.

I usually gob a comical amount of antiseize on the larger ones. Like fully coat the threads, and the unthreaded shank if I'm worried it'll rust to a bushing sleeve. Slime them all, God will know his own.

Copper or nickel antiseize for high temp
Regular aluminum for everything else

If you don't use a lot of antiseize, just get the copper or nickel and use it everywhere, it's not like 10 bucks for a tub of it every 5 years is a budget buster.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm trying to figure out if I should take my car to the shop for the alternator guys. It's a 2012 mazda 6, about 80k miles I think. Today I went to get in it, and the battery was a little dead, dead enough it couldn't start. So I rolled it out of the driveway and dumped the clutch to get it started. It ran perfectly fine, drove to the autozone. They said the battery was fine but my alternator was going bad. However, I've stopped a couple more places and drove it a bit, and everything seems perfectly fine to me. It's possible I just left a light or something on and that's why the battery was low on juice to begin with.

Is it possible autozones little checker thing might have just been thrown off because my battery wasn't fully charged at the time? Putting my car in the shop will not only cost money but will cause a big issue with figuring out how I get to work. I'll do it if it needs it, but I thought I'd ask here. Is it worth waiting a day or two and seeing if it acts up again at least?

Also any ideas on how hard it is to replace an alternator yourself on those cars? I'm mechanically inclined, I used to fix all my own stuff, but I had older cars back then and I'm not sure about this newer, more compact type of car.

Don't know your car in particular but the alternator is one of the easiest things to replace on modern engines and usually they're not hidden away somewhere brutal. Do you own a multimeter? It's dead simple to check the voltage terminal to terminal with the car running - if it's less than 14.4v or something (someone correct me on the value) you should replace it. I agree with you that you might have just left a light on or something like that. If it happens again you'll know for sure.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
My Honda / Stepwagon / 2005 has a stuck driver side sliding door. I've done a little research and first thing to check is fuses.

Any idea where I could find a fuse box diagram for this vehicle? It's a Japanese import (I'm in the UK) and every resource I can find only basically acts as though this vehicle doesn't exist.

Sorry for the stupid question in the stupid question thread.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jables88 posted:

My Honda / Stepwagon / 2005 has a stuck driver side sliding door. I've done a little research and first thing to check is fuses.

Any idea where I could find a fuse box diagram for this vehicle? It's a Japanese import (I'm in the UK) and every resource I can find only basically acts as though this vehicle doesn't exist.

Sorry for the stupid question in the stupid question thread.

Pop the fuse box cover off. There should be little diagrams of what each fuse does on the inside of the cover. You're looking for this fella right here.

If you have the manual, the Google Lens within the google phone app does live translation.

Also remember that fuses protect the circuit. A blown fuse is a symptom, not a cause of the problem.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 27, 2022

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Powershift posted:

Pop the fuse box cover off. There should be little diagrams of what each fuse does on the inside of the cover. You're looking for this fella right here.

If you have the manual, the Google Lens within the google phone app does live translation.

Also remember that fuses protect the circuit. A blown fuse is a symptom, not a cause of the problem.

This is amazing, thank you. Second even stupider question - it sounds like the fuse box is in the passenger side footwell, does that sound right?

For context - the recommended remedy is to remove and replace the existing fuse to reset it, rather than replacing a blown fuse.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, looks like you're looking for fuses 15 and 16 here.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/osaka_3939/archives/38117335.html

machine translate of the stuff on the left suggests there are 2 more fuses in another box either above the gas pedal or under the driver's seat for the rear doors as well.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 27, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My own question. 2007 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - running gear is essentially identical from 92-11 for this particular question, and should be identical to an F-150 with the 4 speed auto and 4.6/5.4 (the SN95 Mustang GT w/auto is probably pretty close too).

Transmission is leaking from the tail shaft seal. What does it take to R&R the seal, aside from the obvious "remove driveshaft and yoke" part? It's a 4R75W, though it should be identical to an AOD-E and 4R70W for this. I already know I'm getting an ATF bath (way overdue for a fluid change anyway), and I'm going to do u-joints at the same time since they're likely original. Also, should I go ahead and plan for a new yoke, or is it a big question mark until I remove it and see how much wear there is?

It doesn't seem to be a major leak, but it's definitely enough that it left a ~half dollar coin size spot on the ground at work, and it's been flung around a bit - so hopefully the yoke isn't grooved much. :ohdear:

VelociBacon posted:

Don't know your car in particular but the alternator is one of the easiest things to replace on modern engines and usually they're not hidden away somewhere brutal. Do you own a multimeter? It's dead simple to check the voltage terminal to terminal with the car running - if it's less than 14.4v or something (someone correct me on the value) you should replace it. I agree with you that you might have just left a light on or something like that. If it happens again you'll know for sure.

Honda would like a word. They bury them, and in the 90s, you sometimes had to pop a balljoint and remove a half shaft to get it out (92-00 Civic :argh:). On my 96 Civic I was able to just baaaaaarely get it out without removing the axle, but I was a lot skinnier and a lot more flexible back then.

Also, most are PCM controlled since the late 90s-early 00s. Anything above 13.2 is usually fine. 14.5 is the highest you want to see.

Subaru puts them right up top and center, ~30-60 minute job. 90s Nissan was pretty easy. 00s Ford V8 is 10-15 minutes start to finish if you've done it before (30 if you haven't).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 28, 2022

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

STR posted:

Subaru puts them right up top and center, ~30-60 minute job.

That's to make up for having buried the spark plugs in the deep inaccessible parts of the engine.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Slipyoke and a companion flange? maybe half an hour. If the yoke is grooved it'll continue to piddle. Also know that there's a bushing in the extension housing typically that'll also wear. That takes a little longer to replace.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

STR posted:

Subaru puts them right up top and center, ~30-60 minute job. 90s Nissan was pretty easy. 00s Ford V8 is 10-15 minutes start to finish if you've done it before (30 if you haven't).

You can even do it on the side of the road with a bunch of crap you bought from the Autozone a mile away up a hill. Ask me how I know.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

That's to make up for having buried the spark plugs in the deep inaccessible parts of the engine.

Yeah but they counter that with pulling the transmission being one of the easiest cars i ever done it on. Unlike the evo that has its transmission in the lament configuration.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
When we were racing the Tercel 4wd, we got to where we could swap transmissions in about 12 minutes. The best car ever for that particular job.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Small question:

Any lubricant at all on the splines in a wheel hub? I see there's some sort of coating or some form of light grease maybe on the axle splines already, but wasn't sure if I should clean it off and put something specific on it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Edward IV posted:

You can even do it on the side of the road with a bunch of crap you bought from the Autozone a mile away up a hill. Ask me how I know.

The bolt on the tensioner on mine snapped in half while I was on the highway. I shimmed the tensioner with hex keys so the power steering and alternator mostly worked and drove to an O'Reilly's where I replaced my alternator with an adjustable crescent wrench and nothing else. It was not fun, but I did it and got back on the road. I genuinely feel like fixing your car in the parts store parking lot is a rite of passage.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

STR posted:

Transmission is leaking from the tail shaft seal. What does it take to R&R the seal, aside from the obvious "remove driveshaft and yoke" part? It's a 4R75W, though it should be identical to an AOD-E and 4R70W for this. I already know I'm getting an ATF bath (way overdue for a fluid change anyway), and I'm going to do u-joints at the same time since they're likely original. Also, should I go ahead and plan for a new yoke, or is it a big question mark until I remove it and see how much wear there is?

I would see how the U-joints are when you get the shaft out. If they're not making noise I wouldn't bother replacing them now. Likewise on the yoke itself, I would wait and see how it looks when you pull it, seals can go bad without any damage to the shaft at all.

Also, jack the thing as far rear end-up as you can and you should minimize the ATF shower.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is happening in this video, looks sort of like they're practicing panic stopping on oiled (or soapy?), polished concrete? These are all front wheel drive cars but he Citroen Traction Avant does way better - why? I'm guessing 80% the longer and wider wheel track, and also that the engine sits fully behind the front axle :airquote: mid engine, but seems to have an outsized impact? There's one FR Mercedes and it seems to behave the same as the econoboxes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFnUFOXIMj8

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 28, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

STR posted:

Honda would like a word. They bury them, and in the 90s, you sometimes had to pop a balljoint and remove a half shaft to get it out (92-00 Civic :argh:). On my 96 Civic I was able to just baaaaaarely get it out without removing the axle, but I was a lot skinnier and a lot more flexible back then.

Also, most are PCM controlled since the late 90s-early 00s. Anything above 13.2 is usually fine. 14.5 is the highest you want to see.

It was pretty easy on my Fit of all things, despite the small engine bay. Just had to remove the EGR valve out of the way. Only issue was the pivot bolt that required several extensions and u-joints to remove from above. Thankfully it wasn't as tight as the one on my miata

Just barely comes out without removing anything else

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Small question:

Any lubricant at all on the splines in a wheel hub? I see there's some sort of coating or some form of light grease maybe on the axle splines already, but wasn't sure if I should clean it off and put something specific on it.

Anti-seize.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We own two Hondas, a 2015 CRV and a 2014 Accord, both approaching 100k miles. We've never done any service on them beyond changing the oil and tires and whatever popped up on inspections, and we want to take them to the somewhere and get all the important stuff done that would hopefully let us run them another 100k miles.

I expect the laundry list of stuff the dealership wants us to do is going to be padded, so what are the actual important services we should be looking to have done? Like, they're going to come back and say "needs brakes" which sure, but also I'm afraid they're going to try to sell me "battery service" for $40 or something. And maybe I need that, but it feels wrong.

My DIY capabilities are, I can change my own wiper blades and am capable of following YT instructions on like cabin filters and such. Hood up is fine; jacks I'm not getting involved with.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Huxley posted:

We own two Hondas, a 2015 CRV and a 2014 Accord, both approaching 100k miles. We've never done any service on them beyond changing the oil and tires and whatever popped up on inspections, and we want to take them to the somewhere and get all the important stuff done that would hopefully let us run them another 100k miles.

I expect the laundry list of stuff the dealership wants us to do is going to be padded, so what are the actual important services we should be looking to have done? Like, they're going to come back and say "needs brakes" which sure, but also I'm afraid they're going to try to sell me "battery service" for $40 or something. And maybe I need that, but it feels wrong.

My DIY capabilities are, I can change my own wiper blades and am capable of following YT instructions on like cabin filters and such. Hood up is fine; jacks I'm not getting involved with.

What you'll want to do is first review your maintenance schedule. Honda has PDFs of the original manual available here: https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2015/CR-V/manuals and https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2014/accord-sedan/manuals

Both have Honda's Maintenance Minder system, which uses codes to tell you what's due. If up to now all you've done is oil changes, there's a chance you've skipped over some of these items, so it might be wise to plan on doing pretty much all of the items they list in the respective section for each vehicle.

Here's your CR-V's section:

I'll skip the Accord's, as it's probably pretty much the same.

In your shoes, I'd probably start looking around for a local independent garage to do pretty much all of it. Maybe start with one and see how things go. If you like how it went, take the other one in. If you didn't, look around again. With your skill level, about the only thing you can do is the cabin air filter. Might save you a few dollars, so go ahead, but definitely let someone more experienced handle the rest, unless you want to learn how.

A set of RhinoRamps would open up at least a few jobs if it's specifically using a jack that worries you: https://smile.amazon.com/RhinoGear-...c47c48c32f&th=1

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 28, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think plugs are pretty straightforward, too, though there are more severe consequences if things go wrong.

As I posted before, the CRV has a chain which is a lifetime part, but the Accord has a timing belt and you should definitely get that replaced.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think plugs are pretty straightforward, too, though there are more severe consequences if things go wrong.

As I posted before, the CRV has a chain which is a lifetime part, but the Accord has a timing belt and you should definitely get that replaced.

:hmmyes:
Plugs and coils on a CRV are like the easiest possible version of it. Great place to start, I think, if you're interested in doing it yourself and only a teeny tiny leap from replacing wiper blades and air filters to this.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I remember changing plugs with dad as a kid, the big thing seemed to be using the feeler gauges to gap them correctly. I could probably swing that.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Huxley posted:

I remember changing plugs with dad as a kid, the big thing seemed to be using the feeler gauges to gap them correctly. I could probably swing that.

You don't have to do that anymore. In fact, you should not do that with your CRV. Here's a guy on youtube doing it. I don't mean to minimize how absolutely perplexing cars are if you have no idea wtf but this one really is a great place to get started. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XztUnT_BerQ

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Do not measure the gap of precious metal plugs unless you use pin gauges. Do not try to adjust the gap yourself unless you know what you're doing or are okay with potentially damaging the center electrode and dealing with the consequences (probably just have to replace that plug). Finally, don't use antiseize.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Bouncing around car ideas.
I’ve got a 1995 Mazda Miata with 110k miles. I’ve had it since 40k miles. Hardly every drive it.
2004 wrx wagon, 220k miles with a dicked motor and everything to do a full sti drive train swap except the time.
And a daily 08 civic si with 120k miles.

I mostly mountain bike these days, with some competition shooting and wood work on the side. I don’t really autocross any more and I don’t care enough to track day.

Friend is selling their 1998 4Runner manual 4x4. 240k miles, owned since about 100k miles. Maintenance mostly documented but is due for timing belt and tires and has a few oil leaks. Clear coat is gone, interior isn’t trashed but isn’t clean, frame is clean.

They want 4K for it.

Considering just selling the civic and buying the runner cause gently caress it. I can get 4-5 years out of that and come out cash positive. Sell the Miata too. Then wait out the truck market.

Downsides, the civic is pretty clean and nice. The runner is ragged. And I’ve come to like having a car that doesn’t look beat. Just seems like a not beat manual runner is like $10-20k.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sadi posted:

I’ve got a 1995 Mazda Miata with 110k miles. I’ve had it since 40k miles. Hardly every drive it.

I wish I had the money for a car like that :swoon:

This was my first car, I love old mazdas

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wish I had the money for a car like that :swoon:

This was my first car, I love old mazdas

**edit, making a new thread for this so I don't shitpost in here oops

Share your vehicular history over in this thread:

Thread for sharing your list of vehicles that you've owned

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 28, 2022

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

This actually brings up a cool thing, I'd love to see people's automotive histories in here. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to remember all my vehicles but I think it'd be fun to try:

• 89 Nissan 240sx (written off)
  • 87 Toyota Supra (actually 1/3 5spd supra, 1/3 auto supra, 1/3 grand national, PO used a bunch of the EGR and vacuum stuff from it) (sold)
  • 93 Nissan Maxima (sold)
  • 95 Nissan Maxima (bought to flip) (sold)
  • 91 Nissan 240sx (sold)
  • 95 Ford Explorer (for $300 bucks!) (sold)
  • 02 Ford Focus (sold)
  • 96 Nissan Pathfinder (sold)
  • 1998 Subaru WRX STI V-Ltd (sold)
  • 2007 Volkswagen GTI (current car)

I'm a Canadian in my late 30s on the West Coast, it's interesting to note maybe because I think the length of these lists will vary by where you all are at, ie rust belt people maybe go through more cars? I would think too given the cost of insurance and life in general that younger people are going to have held onto cars for longer.

Not counting the various child moving vehicles,

1984 Renault Le Car, drove until a tornado dropped an airplane on it
1991 Mitsubishi Galant, sold to buy
1994 Ford Ranger, gave to brother and bought
2005 Honda Civic, drove it until parts started falling off, sold to coworker, bought
2008 Miata

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you should make a thread for that as its gonna just dominate the dumb questions thread

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you should make a thread for that as its gonna just dominate the dumb questions thread

Yeah you're right I'll make it and link it here.

Thread for sharing your list of vehicles that you've owned

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 28, 2022

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Depends on which engine is in the Accord. If it's a four cylinder then it's another EarthDreams direct injected K24, identical to the CR-V one with a chain and all.

If it's a V6 then yes it has a timing belt that absolutely needs to be changed.

But yes that era of Honda is generally very simple to work on, and also super reliable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Oh, the owners manual claimed a timing belt requirement so I just believed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oh, the owners manual claimed a timing belt requirement so I just believed it

I think that generation of Accord is the last one available with either engine. The new ones are all four cylinders, and the big Hondas that still get the J35 don't have a four cylinder option.