Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

bird food bathtub posted:

I hope they're exhausted enough to slam the "gently caress You Alex Jones" button hard enough for him to actually feel the loss. He's never going to stop until he is forced to. Take his money away, it's the only thing he will understand. Everything else to him is just Sartre's antisemites playing with words.

the worst part about him is that he's crazy enough to never stop, and his reputation/brand is tied directly to how unrelentingly crazy he is. people like that need to be in jail tbh, they only create problems for everyone around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Ok I'm out guys. gently caress me. I'm sobbing right now.

Jesus Christ, this is heart breaking. These parents are a million times stronger than I am because I don't think I would be able to live another day if something happened to my Son.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Holy poo poo that story from this mom about her daughter forgetting to turn around to wave goodbye that morning

"Once is okay"

And it being the very last time she saw her

Shattering

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

life is very fragile

Giving someone life is giving someone death.

You could say that................................................................ life is death.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

One of the jurors is crying, or trying very hard not to cry

Not a juror, her husband.

law and crime keeps zooming in on him - which is ghoulish af now that I understand it's her husband

edited to correct my error

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 28, 2022

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

KitConstantine posted:

One of the jurors is crying, or trying very hard not to cry

law and crime keeps zooming in on him

That's her husband, they don't film jurors

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Devor posted:

Thank god. I do worry about the safety of some of the court staff

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Devor posted:

Oh, that's good to know, thank you for clarifying

I was wondering why they were doing that. that makes it pretty ghoulish imo

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/annamerlan/status/1575157723276070916

Alex Jones is a literal ghoul, can the jury sentence him to the gulag for crimes against humanity?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

KitConstantine posted:

Oh, that's good to know, thank you for clarifying

I was wondering why they were doing that. that makes it pretty ghoulish imo

I can only imagine what the comments would be saying if they were on.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
uuuuuuuuuugh. i hate this. but...why are they focusing on the events of the day and not the damage jones himself has done?
i know i know i know: it is horrible, never never saying otherwise but...this case is about what jones has done and said, why aren't they playing clips of what jones did and said? and giving testimony of what "info warriors" have done to them on jones' behest?
again: i know, i know, it's horrid, it's horrible, i feel for these poor poor parents and what they've had to go through but this lawsuit isn't about what happened that day.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

InsertPotPun posted:

uuuuuuuuuugh. i hate this. but...why are they focusing on the events of the day and not the damage jones himself has done?
i know i know i know: it is horrible, never never saying otherwise but...this case is about what jones has done and said, why aren't they playing clips of what jones did and said? and giving testimony of what "info warriors" have done to them on jones' behest?
again: i know, i know, it's horrid, it's horrible, i feel for these poor poor parents and what they've had to go through but this lawsuit isn't about what happened that day.

I thought they had already shown a portion of what he had been saying. This is more "This is how these people are connected to the shooting, and this is the poo poo they've gone through as a result of Jones' toxic bile". You don't need to keep replaying the same clips for every witness.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
This is not a trial to determine whether Alex Jones has hurt these people. That has already been ruled on. Normally there'd be a whole other trial to determine that, where Alex' Jones specific actions would be the central consideration, but he spent the entire time loving around, dodging poo poo and withholding evidence until he was declared culpable by default.

This trial is solely to determine damages. How much harm has Alex Jones done, and how much should he pay for that? What the parents suffered on that day, before ever coming on to Alex Jones' radar, is material to establishing just how cruel his subsequent decision to terrorize them for profit was.

It is absolutely horrible and I am not watching any of these streams, but it is necessary.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

InsertPotPun posted:

Because Jones has already been found liable. They need to establish damages. They need the jurors to understand the extent of their individual harm so that adequate damages can be awarded.

One of the struggles of the Texas jury was how to adequately compensate for pain and suffering. They easily could agree on a $ amount for punishment, but compensation is a different ballgame.

As a result, the CT lawyers are hammering down how badly individuals were hurt, and how Jones deliberately antagonized the situation for profit. They don't need to show hours of Jones footage to get across that point.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

InsertPotPun posted:

Yeah but remember, one of the big defense arguments here is that "this is all politics." By hammering home to the jury the damage real people have gone through they are countering that argument. Even if Alex Jones sees this all as a political thing, he still took advantage of people who were hurting and didn't care about any additional harm he might be inflicting, all to sell bogus supplements at an 80% markup. This part of the trial is definitely not for entertainment purposes. It's good lawyering, from my perspective (IANAL), though, because it's about defusing the defense.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I thought I heard Pattis say on Friday in court after Jones’ media bullshit, something like ‘while I personally believe in jury nullification…,’ in response to Jones encouraging jurors to do their own research. Isn’t the mere mention of jury nullification a problem for a court officer? He seems to know exactly where the boundary for misconduct begins and stays exactly one blade of grass within it. His whole My Adversary act is so melodramatic, it feels like the court equivalent of flopping in front of the referee.

I hate his guts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

red19fire posted:

I thought I heard Pattis say on Friday in court after Jones’ media bullshit, something like ‘while I personally believe in jury nullification…,’ in response to Jones encouraging jurors to do their own research. Isn’t the mere mention of jury nullification a problem for a court officer? He seems to know exactly where the boundary for misconduct begins and stays exactly one blade of grass within it. His whole My Adversary act is so melodramatic, it feels like the court equivalent of flopping in front of the referee.

I hate his guts.

Most of this stuff is just Pattis being a defense attorney. He reminds me of a lot of really good defense attorneys I know in personality and assholish smugness.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
yeah i get that, but they're testifying about what happened the day off the shooting and not what jones did to them. i get in the abstract, that establishing that they loved their children helps, but what about testifying about the letters and emails and phone calls they've received paired with what jones has said on his show?
jones screaming "they are all fake actors!!" juxtaposed with "the email said i was a fake actor" would speak directly to what jones said and did.
it just seems weird to focus not on his behavoir during a trial about his behavior

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

InsertPotPun posted:

it just seems weird to focus not on his behavoir during a trial about his behavior

You've reached the core of his default in the case and why his actions in this lawsuit were so bad. His failure to produce discovery as required means that we do not and cannot know the extent of his behavior. Thus the judge awarding the default judgment for liability.

We don't need to belabor how his actions caused these effects - because the jury is instructed to take it as fact. We need to establish the effects, to determine the damages.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

InsertPotPun posted:

yeah i get that, but they're testifying about what happened the day off the shooting and not what jones did to them. i get in the abstract, that establishing that they loved their children helps, but what about testifying about the letters and emails and phone calls they've received paired with what jones has said on his show?
jones screaming "they are all fake actors!!" juxtaposed with "the email said i was a fake actor" would speak directly to what jones said and did.

There’s a lot of trial still to go.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's an obvious difference between "a bunch of nutjobs started calling me at work to scream that I'm a liar" and "a bunch of nutjobs started calling me at work to scream that I'm a liar about my dead son, the light of my life, saying he never existed and that I'm a government agent trying to hurt them." It's important to establish how much they were hurting already to understand the cruelty of what Jones did, it creates context.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

InsertPotPun posted:

Because they already showed that earlier in the trial that he's called them all actors. Repeatedly. Now it's the families of the victims having a chance to explain how they have been personally affected by Jones' lies. They don't need to inflict Alex Jones' show on the jury every time someone hurt by his words takes the stand.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
A: The event was extremely traumatic
B: Jones is re-traumatising the plaintiffs
C: He is doing B on purpose

The damages are A times the severity/number of incidences of B.

It's a fairly simple argument, but you need to establish a big A to multiply by B.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It seems like smart lawyering to show the jury all the emotional damage these people went through, and then put into context how Alex started stoking stochastic terrorism against all of these people while they were dealing with this immense amount of trauma. He can take the stand and say "I didn't shoot anyone" all day, but not a single person is going to have an ounce of empathy for him after hearing that these were the people he accused of being crisis actors. And that he didnt do it to dig deep into some sort of real major conspiracy he believes is at the core of the world's problems, they were just an easy and immediate target for his brand of skeptic horseshit that encourages violence against already-devastated people so he can get as much money as possible.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
yeah but he just goes on his show and says "i didn't say that". even during the depositions his "defense" was "i didn't say that". "i NEVER said there were no dead kids, i NEVER said this person's name" "I NEVER said..."
i just think prosecution's time would be better spent establishing that yes, jones DID say .... because that's his, and his defender's, entire defense: "i NEVER said..." when you can go to specific dates and find he said exactly that

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The thing is the jury has already been instructed that yes he did definitely say that. This is entirely about determining how bad it was that he said it, not if he said it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

InsertPotPun posted:

...i just think prosecution's time would be better spent ...

See that's the point though, they spent years trying to get Jones to actually come to the stand and make a defense and treat the case with any level of dignity/importance, and he gave the middle finger the entire time while pissing his pants. That part's done, there is no waffling back and forth and what jones did or did not do, there's no need to go over it all with a fine toothed comb. The jury has been told he is guilty of it all, and these are the people he did it to, while they were dealing with an incredibly traumatic experience that would shatter the hearts and minds of any person, and he did it all without a shred of self-examination that doesn't end up as a Brain Force advertisement to profit off everything even more.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I don't know how anyone listens to these parent testimonies while looking at pictures of these kids without sobbing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

InsertPotPun posted:

yeah but he just goes on his show and says "i didn't say that". even during the depositions his "defense" was "i didn't say that". "i NEVER said there were no dead kids, i NEVER said this person's name" "I NEVER said..."
i just think prosecution's time would be better spent establishing that yes, jones DID say .... because that's his, and his defender's, entire defense: "i NEVER said..." when you can go to specific dates and find he said exactly that

You want them to belabor a point that was a given fact going into this trial?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’d be in supermax for what I’d have done if someone called my murdered six year old child a whore, right before she is to be buried.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
alex jones is the kind of person who makes me wish that hell was real so he could be tortured there for eternity

e: or maybe just until he understands what he did wrong. so, eternity

Foo Diddley fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 28, 2022

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I have said this so many times but this might be one of the worst stories I've heard, since this seems like one of the worst impacts a person has suffered, or at least one of the most emotionally described.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I've also notice that Pattis has basically stopped attempting to cross witnesses, which feels like maybe of his better decisions he's made.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

OneMoreTime posted:

I've also notice that Pattis has basically stopped attempting to cross witnesses, which feels like maybe of his better decisions he's made.

Here’s hoping hair conditioner is next on that list

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Hell yeah I’m angry and petty

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

teen witch posted:

Hell yeah I’m angry and petty

I don't blame you, these past two days have really encapsulated how damaging Jones' statements have been, as if the past few weeks haven't proved that already.

Also, if you want to avoid being angry, you may not want to listen to the next witness, since Robbie Parker is up.

Mr. Parker has been emotional during all of the testimony today, and I don't think he's gonna gain a whole lot of composure magically. This will be a tough listen

OneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 28, 2022

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
This is going to be rough.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

teen witch posted:

Here’s hoping hair conditioner is next on that list

Thank you for being the same kind of petty as me.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Ngl I kinda want to know why the mascot was fired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Something that Elizabeth Williamson brought up on her liveblog that I didn't realize regarding Robbie Parker's testimony:

"This review of how difficult it is for the Parkers to be here for a long trial and while tending to Emilie’s surviving sisters is meant to draw a contrast with Jones, who has failed to show up for most of this trial. On his sole appearance in court, Jones, his entourage and bodyguards flew in on a chartered jet and stayed in a posh house outside town.'