Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

howe_sam posted:

Swank's next project is apparently a show on ABC, and before that she did a show for Netflix, so no I don't think two Oscars means she's too big for tv.

Alaska Daily has some heat behind it since it's created by Tom McCarthy, the guy that directed Spotlight and Station Agent. (And played the lovely journalist in The Wire season 5).

But yeah I can't recall the last time Hillary Swank was in a good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've kept watching Cobra Kai mainly just to see how many of the original actors they were able to dig up, and the answer is apparently every single one (well except Morita lmao)

Like, all the old girlfriends, the biker guys, Silver, Chozen ... it's been a trip just looking up all the actors on "where are they now" pages and "oh, they were just waiting for Karate Kid to come calling again for some reason"

It's a ridiculous concept and the 80s vibe is 50% "this is intentionally corny" and 50% "this is literally us doing our best and we actually suck". I still think it's fun, but I agree it would have been better kept as a 1- or 2-season lark, just to help define the current trend/avalanche of "reboot of thing from the 80s/90s that involves the original actors"

e: also the actors they found for young Kreese and young Silver in flashbacks (and also young Johnny at one point) are really drat good. It's like the whole thing is just an exercise in casting

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 28, 2022

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I watched the first two episodes of Andor last night. I'm probably in the tiny minority on this based on the acclaim it's received, but I thought they were absolute garbage as episodes of television. Almost 2 hours of nothing but setup with no resolutions. The end of episode two made me laugh out loud at how baffingly bad it was. A pointless conversation between Skarsgard and some rando, and then bombastic epic music as our tormented hero walks heroically down a street, cut to credits. Maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy these days or I don't recognize how television has evolved.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think they’re garbage but I certainly didn’t find them exciting or find any characters I was interested in

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t think they’re garbage but I certainly didn’t find them exciting or find any characters I was interested in

Garbage was probably too strong a word. The acting was fine, the set design and costumes were great. My main problem was the storytelling.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Oasx posted:

I am enjoying Panhandle so far, I only know Luke Kirby from The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, but he was great in that, and good so far in Panhandle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvj0QDqk8i4

thanks for the mention of this, I like it so far

I haven't seen Mrs Maisel but yeah Luke Kirby is good in this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spectrum is doing their own content now?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I can't remember a time when a Disney+ production put together a genuinely excellent script.

zoux posted:

Spectrum is doing their own content now?

They have for a while, though I think some of it ends up on whatever the Paramount streaming service is currently being called.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Open Source Idiom posted:

I can't remember a time when a Disney+ production put together a genuinely excellent script.

They just did last week. Andor is great, not just because they ditch the cornball constant references to the series (though they do), and not just because they're showing corners of the universe they tend to ignore in Star Wars (though they are), but in the way it's all infused with meaning. It's political without being overbearing and relevant without being didactic. There's a scene of low-level Empire politics in the first episode that made me bust a gut because it's exactly what I love. Honestly, the entire show could have just been Andor trying to extricate himself from a series of escalating crises rising from the initial fuckup, but they pay that off really well in the third episode so I can't complain.

I find it very telling that the person complaining about the show didn't watch the third episode yet.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Arist posted:

They just did last week. Andor is great, not just because they ditch the cornball constant references to the series (though they do), and not just because they're showing corners of the universe they tend to ignore in Star Wars (though they are), but in the way it's all infused with meaning. It's political without being overbearing and relevant without being didactic. There's a scene of low-level Empire politics in the first episode that made me bust a gut because it's exactly what I love. Honestly, the entire show could have just been Andor trying to extricate himself from a series of escalating crises rising from the initial fuckup, but they pay that off really well in the third episode so I can't complain.

I find it very telling that the person complaining about the show didn't watch the third episode yet.

I don't feel I should be required to watch three episodes of a television series in order to get any sense of fulfillment out of the first two when it comes to basic story structure. The first two episodes were not stories - they were a series of events with no resolutions or payoffs. But hey, like I said, I'm an old grump and I know I'm in the minority on this.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lucas Archer posted:

I don't feel I should be required to watch three episodes of a television series in order to get any sense of fulfillment out of the first two when it comes to basic story structure. The first two episodes were not stories - they were a series of events with no resolutions or payoffs. But hey, like I said, I'm an old grump and I know I'm in the minority on this.

The first 3 episodes are an entire story. idk why they chose to split them up like that, but they are absolutely meant to be taken as a whole and not standalone.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I found episode 3 to be the least memorable so I cannot side with Arist on this one. But in all fairness, I was pretty toasted by the time that one rolled around.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

isaboo posted:

thanks for the mention of this, I like it so far

I haven't seen Mrs Maisel but yeah Luke Kirby is good in this

Kirby is legitimately one of the main reasons to watch Mrs. Maisel. Out of curiosity, I watched some old videos of Lenny Bruce (the person he portrays) and while his mannerisms aren't 100% accurate, dude absolutely nails his cadence and vibe. He's a great actor and I wanna see him in more things.

Ironically, Mrs. Maisel is like the last thing I care about in Mrs. Maisel, but the show at least acknowledges that she is a lovely brat of a person.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The first 3 episodes are an entire story. idk why they chose to split them up like that, but they are absolutely meant to be taken as a whole and not standalone.

That's really aggravating then. Just make a super long pilot, make it an intro movie or whatever. Insert old man yells at cloud gif here.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lucas Archer posted:

That's really aggravating then. Just make a super long pilot, make it an intro movie or whatever. Insert old man yells at cloud gif here.

I completely agree.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arist posted:

Okay so uhh please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're praising a show for avoiding some very basic and ugly mistakes, rather than doing anything significant or impressive on its own terms. e.g. quite a lot of television is political without being overly didactic (not that I think there's anything wrong with being forthright in-and-of-itself tbh).

Throw me some impressive dialogue, and evidence of a structured thesis expressed through the construction of an episode, and I'll genuinely give it a fair shake. I'd love to watch a good space opera. But what little I've synthesised from the show just makes it sound like it's more handsome than a lot of the other D+ fare, with a stronger set piece or two and a different tone.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

When Star Wars has been so utterly mismanaged that basically every project they put out falls into the same pitfalls, yes, I do find it impressive that they managed to avoid them. That doesn't mean I'm qualifying my praise; it's legitimately good television.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Andor isn't good because it isn't bad, it's just good. Some people don't like slow burn 1970s style spy thrillers, and that's fine, but as far as it being an example of that, it is excellent

Like, for all its critical praise, I wouldn't be surprised if this had the worst viewership numbers out of all the main live action SW shows, because it doesn't have the regular SW stuff in it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can you guys help Idiom out by describing some of the things you actually liked or thought it did well? For instance I really liked episode 1’s cold open. Just a strong, emotionally charged scene with a darker (but not grimdark) tone that SW has been lacking.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will help Idiom out by pointing out that it's fine if he didn't like it, there are people who don't like all kinds of critical smashes. I don't like The Shield.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Look, in the interest of fairness I'll watch the first episode and report back. People tell me I'm pretty open minded so hopefully I am (and I certainly don't mind slowly paced shows). However it sounds like it the structure of individual episodes isn't great, which is a pretty heavy mark against it having a "genuinely excellent script" or whatever it was I loving said. Probably because I'm one of those arch structuralist, it's so dumb but it's one of those things I really value in a show.

Watch it end up being on my top ten this year though, lmao.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 28, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I thought you were the guy who watched it and didn't like it, y'all no avatar mfkers are just one big poster to me

The first episode is 30 minutes long, if you don't like it don't keep going

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
It's pretty wild how much cool poo poo is in the very first episode of The Mandalorian when you compare it to basically any other star wars TV show

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Throw me some impressive dialogue, and evidence of a structured thesis expressed through the construction of an episode, and I'll genuinely give it a fair shake. I'd love to watch a good space opera. But what little I've synthesised from the show just makes it sound like it's more handsome than a lot of the other D+ fare, with a stronger set piece or two and a different tone.

Here is some dialogue. You can judge for yourself.

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1575164294999973889

I do agree that making the story basically three-episode movies is mildly annoying. The fourth episode in particular just ends abruptly with no sense of closure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SimonChris posted:

Here is some dialogue. You can judge for yourself.

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1575164294999973889

Yeah the scene where rupert vansittart is doing his ole "sweep this one under the rug" monologue is sparkling dialog. Since Lucas' biggest weakness has always been dialog, it stands out.

It's gorgeously shot, with fantastic production design, excellent performances, strong dialogue and good characters. There are no lightsabers nor Jedi, in fact, watching this show you can kind of understand how people in that distant galaxy think the Force is some BS less than two decades after a galaxy spanning war involving ten thousand spinny lightstick guys

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 28, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

For one, the character work and dialogue are excellent. Again, there's a scene of low-level bureaucratic politics between two imperial officers in episode 1 that's both hilarious and utterly real in a way I've never seen Star Wars even approach. We don't get a lot of interiority on Andor himself until a scene in episode 3 when he tells Stellan Skarsgård how he managed to steal from the Empire, but that moment tells you everything you need to know about him. I can't get behind saying that the storytelling is bad because the show is telling so many tiny stories about all of these people all the time that make them seem so vibrant as characters. Like, just knowing that the main officer in the show had his uniform tailored tells you so much.

And the show really benefits from focusing down on just a small corner of the universe with relatively low stakes and building out the setting. Like I'll admit that, structured as an episode of television, episode 2 is probably a little weak in that it doesn't have a major throughline, but it's laying a ton of groundwork for the massive payoff in the next episode.

e: but episode 2 also rules anyway because it has the scene where Syril Karn, the officer, tries to give a big inspiring speech to this group of cops who just want an excuse for violence and a target and completely flubs it, it's so good

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 28, 2022

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I was excited to watch Andor and then my wife was like who the gently caress is this, should I know this guy, and it turns out she'd memory holed Rogue One under the rubble of COVID and having a child.

So we watched that.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I like the show (and Rogue One) but I keep thinking Andor is a better name for a planet and not a guy. :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

I keep thinking Andor is a better name for a planet and not a guy. :shrug:

The Forest Man of Andor.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also I don't think they're using the Volume, which has honestly become kind of an albatross around Star Wars' neck

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My mum thought it was a planet too

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I dont follow Star Wars stuff much and I also thought it was a planet, Endor

my kids let me know how dumb I am

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Rachel House, Lisa Kudro and a child named after Superman are gonna be in the new Time Bandits.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/lisa-kudrow-taika-waititi-time-bandits-apple-series-1235229141/

!!!!!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've watched all 4 episodes of Andor and been mostly bored by them. The best part so far has been this, but I had this scene spoiled for me when I went to see the Rogue One theatrical rerelease and this scene played before the movie started:

Arist posted:

We don't get a lot of interiority on Andor himself until a scene in episode 3 when he tells Stellan Skarsgård how he managed to steal from the Empire, but that moment tells you everything you need to know about him.
I get that it's doing stuff other Star Wars shows haven't but almost none of what it's doing has been very interesting to me or stuck with me except for the scene quoted above. This newest episode had potential, what with Andor and that group of rebels planning to attack the Imperial garrison, but the episode was only that: planning. Not every episode needs to be an action-packed blowout or anything, but I guess I just want it to move more.

I loved Rogue One but was totally okay with Cassian Andor dying on Scarif when the Death Star blew it up (do I even have to spoil that?), so I didn't particularly want or need a show about his origins, but I figured if the show could make a case for existing then I'd be into it and I don't really feel like it's done that so far.

I know Tony Gilroy is the showrunner/writer. I just recently rewatched Michael Clayton (which he directed) and was riveted by it. Maybe if he directed some of these episodes, it might make a difference, but apparently he isn't directing any of them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah he wasn’t able to direct them because of COVID lol. So had to hand the reins for these first eps to Toby “I have absolutely no distinct personality as director in any way” Haynes

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Andor is a bad name because star wars already has endor, and star trek has andoria.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The bible had Endor, and a Witch thereof. (It's one of many hidden satanic messages in Star Wars, you see)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Bible is actually based on Star Wars

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Keyser_Soze posted:

I like the show (and Rogue One) but I keep thinking Andor is a better name for a planet and not a guy. :shrug:

Escobarbarian posted:

My mum thought it was a planet too

isaboo posted:

I dont follow Star Wars stuff much and I also thought it was a planet, Endor

Y'all are closer than I was! This whole time I was assuming this was some more Lord of the Rings stuff. :ohdear:

Cue the "Yes, yes, we know, R.A.B, you don't watch sci-fi/fantasy, we get it!" :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I prefer the moons of Endor