Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

Dwesa posted:

taken from refunds sub, someone would like to employ people from 'less developed country', so he can pretend to be their spaceship captain

I love the total shitshow that is SC backers commenting on social issues, hilarious every drat time.

Taxxe:

https://v.redd.it/9a5gx87d4aq91/DASH_1080.mp4

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I can’t wait to role-play as a human trafficker sneaking cargo containers full of space-migrants into the UEE, so they can be used as cheap labor by Idris owners.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 27, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jesus Christ, the "ACTUALLY AN ACQUAINTANCE OWNS A SLAVE, SO IT CAN'T BE THAT BAD" part

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I know the title changed recently but "I'm not racist, my friend owns slaves" would be a candidate

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Potato Salad posted:

Jesus Christ, the "ACTUALLY AN ACQUAINTANCE OWNS A SLAVE, SO IT CAN'T BE THAT BAD" part

I know, right? That community is the gift that keeps on giving. No wonder a commando was annoyed by the Spectrum ignore list feature being limited to 200 users. :lmao:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Victim mentality is an acquired personality trait in which a person tends to recognize or consider themselves a victim of the negative actions of others, and to behave as if this were the case in the face of contrary evidence of such circumstances.

"It can hurt our reputation" :lmao:

Everyone knows the reality is that if anyone says anything truthful, and it happens to define some nebulous system or game function, and that reality impacts money coming in, the truth will be immediately walked back to be nebulous again.

That's how dreams work. The game is for everyone, all the time.

Also, I'm pretty sure VR started with a statement Chris made many years ago where he implied they would just patch in VR support like it was as simple as flipping a toggle in the code.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Yep Vulcan and basic optimization is coming any day now, and maybe by 2030 this bleeding edge graphics powerhouse will catch up with console games made in 2020 and add DLSS. Just think by 2040 they might even have HDR and ray-tracing!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Victim mentality is an acquired personality trait in which a person tends to recognize or consider themselves a victim of the negative actions of others, and to behave as if this were the case in the face of contrary evidence of such circumstances.

Year 10 of development and really, just any moment now, we're going to prove our worth by delivering something...ANYTHING.
It's going to happen right after we start working on supporting more than 50 players without destroying CPUs.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Fidelitious posted:

Year 10 of development and really, just any moment now, we're going to prove our worth by delivering something...ANYTHING.
It's going to happen right after we start working on supporting more than 50 players without destroying CPUs.

Well, I'll have you know PES is right around the corner and will totally make the dream possible, so be ready to eat your hat!

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

hey gang, I've been talking to an investigative journalist who is putting together an article on the star citizen community and why they're so bonkers, and I need to do a little crowdsourcing (ok I don't need to but I'm very lazy and my screencaps are completely unorganized and spread over like three different computers).

I know most of the best examples of what he's looking for have made it into the thread so while I dig through my archives I thought it might also be fun to take a trip down memory lane. If you've got screencaps of any of this stuff, lemme see 'em!

the guy that sold the farm happened fairly early in SC's history i think it happened back when new stretch goals were being made, but i dont think there was any proof that the guy had a farm or that he sold it, i think all that was proven was the fact that guy had spend lot of money on virtual spaceships.
because it happened during that time there is lots of posts you need to comb to find it and search doesn't function on those ancient threads.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

"quite busy" and "little time to do anything"

meanwhile E. Roberts, Chambers, Witkin and fourth guy I don't recognize had enough time to visit fan event in South Korea

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1573582052561391616

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

in before the Korea intern shop is setup.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I wonder if rockstar is constantly flying their developers and management around the world , or
If they just work on the games

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Blue On Blue posted:

I wonder if rockstar is constantly flying their developers and management around the world , or
If they just work on the games

Are you implying it's abnormal for a company who has never produced a product to parade around the world holding celebratory events for themselves?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Popete posted:

Are you implying it's abnormal for a company who has never produced a product to parade around the world holding celebratory events for themselves?

No I’m sure Elizabeth Holmes even held conventions all the time for her revolutionary new product , she being a super successful business tycoon

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

At last, it's ready, It's out!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-hrFfm2h5w

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Dante80 posted:

At last, it's ready, It's out!!!

Excerpt from the top Steam review:

quote:

Cons

-Game runs extremely un-optimized
-More than 20 players on a same location with constructs / ships etc and the game runs poorly
-Very little gameplaye loops
-Terrain sometimes glitches and look terrible
-it feels like they want to cash in before investors get mad
-Very clunky UI / HUD
-Game has been in developement for ages and still feels like an alpha.
-Unless you are on discord or official forum , dont expect much communication from the devs
-No linux support
-No mod support

Well, looks like a game citizens would like. :banjo:

And if reviews stay negative prepare for the usual "See? That's why CIG needs to take all the time they need!".

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 27, 2022

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Gave an AI that monocle-cat fellow's post with the prompt: "summary:"

quote:

I'm calling that deception - lies. Because they have no respect for the community or the people who pay for this project.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

And if reviews stay negative prepare for the usual "See? That's why CIG needs to take all the time they need!".

Every time another space game fails to deliver, a concierge backer gets his wings.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I feel like DU was one of those teams who were listening to Chris and watching cig and believed what he said he could do with technology today.

The big difference between DU and cig is that du didn't appear to have an infinite funding model and tried to deliver a working game, realizing it couldn't actually be done well. Once this settled in the ceo split.

Cig is just doubling down on tier 0 and how everything will be better soon.

And of course, an infinite funding model that prevents them from needing to release something as equally broken and terrible as DU.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

"Mixed reviews" on Steam, so I'm not sure. Does Lethality like it?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Once again, it's been months since i wrapped up my last check-in binge on the star citizen experience, and i check back in and pointlessly surprise myself with the least surprising thing in the world: there has been no meaningful progress in the slightest since then.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

im feeling nostalgic, can people post whatever they can find from the golden age of CIG and their stupidity

I'd like to revisit the what seemed like endless barrage of pictures from when it was discovered that their artists were plagiarizing EVERYTHING

the traced pictures, cut and pastes from google image search, the marketing advertisement used that prominently featured the Hilton hotel logo

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

One SC star system = one entire AAA game

Best case scenario, 100 systems will take 100 years.

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 28, 2022

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Did they ever confirm that you can poop in the shower? I mean, I assume you can because both of those systems are definitely going to be fully realized and implemented for sure, and the unforseen interactions between those systems are precisely the sort of fidelitous and high-fidelity emergent gameplay that this masterpiece that CI¿G? built and almost 2% completed to allow.

Isn't that the Crubbles' vision we all embrace and believe in according to a poll from 10 years ago a handful of backers voted on? To never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, not ever, never-ever, never, ever, ever stop adding things to the list of promises until the finishing layer of code has dried and a living, breathing universe has magically emerged and we at last may feast upon its hot dog placenta and bask in the warmth of its juices running down our necks? When dreams.txt becomes reality_final (1)(2)-FINAL (1) NEWEST (email to divorce lawyer by Monday).rtf we've all anxiously awaited? That's practically confirmation Crubbles always intended to let players be shower shitters if they're too lazy or fat important to step out of the shower and walk all the way over to the toilet on the slippery tile floor and honestly it's weirder for somebody to make a big deal about it like just think about it for a second, right, like all that soap going down the drain will wash it all off anyway and it's not like you can smell it anyway because of all the humidity that's just science I'm telling you no you can't and if you could smell it then why did my roommates only start claiming that they could after I had been caught?

I, for one, am happy to spend the money meant for child support to instead support a more special child with a much tastier placenta in the form of the BDSSE. The rich tapestry of a living, breathing universe, full of unforgettable experiences on every scale. From the majesty of discovering a new star on the galaxy's edge to the unscripted moments of increasingly frantic waffle-stomping over the sound of approaching footsteps, isn't that dream exactly why we continue to fund Star Citizen in addition to giving me a second chance at the life I already hosed up but themed on outer space?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I can’t really tell if I’m pregnant with expectation for Star Citizen or just fat.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
And the DU trailer has an awkward toilet moment… what is with space games and toilets?

Some meme or something?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

JugbandDude posted:

And the DU trailer has an awkward toilet moment… what is with space games and toilets?

Some meme or something?

I think it's the Galactic Hitchhikers towel of space games, if you have toilets everyone assumes you have a working flight model, rich combat, complex gameplay loops, trading, dynamic economy etc otherwise why would you be wasting your time with space making GBS threads.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

JugbandDude posted:

Some meme or something?

It also has that eve online ship archered, so maybe going for that citizen crowd

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

One SC star system = one entire AAA game

Best case scenario, 100 systems will take 100 years.

Imagine if they just stuck with the original plan of a freelancer with new graphics.

They'd of probably made more money, it would have been legitimate income rather than this dubious charity donation thing, and by now they'd probably be working on a star citizen 2 or even 3.

Like there is nothing exciting happening at the places they have now. There's no need to spend multiple dozens of years making a single system when the most exciting stuff in your locations is just running between stores to buy junk. There's no interactions outside of core systems to buy stuff to eat/drink/mission/buy stuff.

You've made a decade long time sink in 8K textures and 1B poly models that don't really add anything to the game play itself. That's not super cool. :|

Flying between places is also boring. It's like the 90's windows Starfield screen saver for an hour.

But whatever makes you all happy I guess. Enjoy walking around levels I guess. :)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

It takes 22 minutes and 18 seconds to break atmo from Orison in a Reclaimer

quote:

But is that what you're doing, really? If you think that, I suspect you're in for a bad time. You won't be doing 'nothing'.

quote:

Nope, I just walk away from the game and get something the drink or eat. If they don't respect my time I won't respect theirs. You can make a game take time and be interesting.

quote:

You're missing the point... you won't be able to do that. You will have to be engaged.

Also, "respect my time" has to be the most ridiculous gamer statement ever, and that's saying something.

Respect your time? You're already playing a video game. You're literally wasting your time.

quote:

Yes I understand that... but the game should not conform to you (us). You (we) should conform to the game.

Only have an hour? Well, that should make you think about wether you should be taking your Reclaimer down into a gravity well in the first place...

But beyond that, that type of gameplay may not be available to you at all due to time constraints.

But that's ok too, because if this works out like they say... there will be other things for players like you (and me) to do.

For 30 minutes of play we might need to be content staying planetside in one landing zone picking up trash.

That's better than compromising the rest of the game just because we don't have the "time".

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1573396007425114120

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you're watching a bad movie you can't complain and turn it off because you're already wasting your time by watching a movie.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

OMG he said it! He's gonna get in hot water as usual, the absolute madlad.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think, for Lethality and people like him, there is something they're driving at but I think the essential delusion they're having is, I don't think MMOs provide entertainment in the same way they were envisioned to. There's a problem in MMO design I like to call the 'Funny Story Problem' and it goes something like this.

Early MMOs had very few quality of life features and in some cases were missing entire systems that are now considered essential. There was a lot of standing around, waiting, shouting to zones for trade, that kind of thing. In Everquest there was no formal trade format, so people would congregate in common zones and shout what they were selling. This allowed them to manipulate prices, make absurd offers, rip people off; and all the while you have a ton of people in one place playing pranks on each other, talking to each other, that kind of thing. It generates a lot of Funny Stories. Same with raids; in early EQ raid bosses spawned on timers that could be hours or even days, so the major raid-capable guilds had to negotiate who was going to kill which boss on what days so they didn't step on each other's toes. This resulted in inter-guild meetings, and sometimes even wars, as guilds couldn't agree and aggressively tried to kill steal each other. EVE's infamous social engineering scams that were equal parts hilarious and ruinous; even WoW's 'Barren's Chat' was a lesser form of the phenomenon.

Basically these games had a lot of downtime or lack of systems which forced people to interact. It turns out the more you design a game for play, the less people interact. People will group with friends, sure, but the number of people who interact with strangers, and have meaningful or memorable interactions with strangers, shrinks the less they have to do it. Some people will always be fun and cordial online but some people only really interact because they have to. Queuing for a dungeon group, running the dungeon without a word, dropping a 'thx' in the chat and then disbanding is basically the modern standard for MMOs, and you can see how that has changed.

Now here's where I think the various MMO dreamers have it wrong; while all that stuff makes for good Funny Stories, I don't think they ever made for good games. An IRC chatroom can be funny, but that doesn't make it a game. MMOs proposed a world where people were fully immersed and roleplaying and engaging in this kind of stuff all the time, but the game part of those games tended to be less enjoyable than modern games by a pretty wide margin. People remember these games fondly because they have lots of good Stories but I think they rarely think about the fact that those stories exist in the absence of gameplay.

They were only ever fun in retrospect because of the Funny Story Problem. It's like chasing a game that never existed.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Man I feel like I'm the exact opposite of Lethality. I stopped playing MMOs and live service games with daily/weekly checklists because I felt like the game was dictating my life, and I just want to play when I want and stop when I want. Hell, I'm actually finding myself avoiding playing Splatoon 3 right now specifically because of the ongoing splatfest - I know if I start I'll feel compelled to maximize my time instead of just playing for fun.

And then Lethality WANTS that. He explicitly DESIRES a game that controls his life. I will never understand that.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

From the main :reddit: "400 and 500 million rewards haven't started development yet, but they are coming"

:lol: Can't make this poo poo up. :lol:

Also more players, more payment methods, more concierge rewards: cause money is all that matters, even if it's just a Bar Citizen Q&A.

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 28, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Drink every time PES/server meshing is used as a blocker.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mendrian posted:

I think, for Lethality and people like him, there is something they're driving at but I think the essential delusion they're having is, I don't think MMOs provide entertainment in the same way they were envisioned to. There's a problem in MMO design I like to call the 'Funny Story Problem' and it goes something like this.

Early MMOs had very few quality of life features and in some cases were missing entire systems that are now considered essential. There was a lot of standing around, waiting, shouting to zones for trade, that kind of thing. In Everquest there was no formal trade format, so people would congregate in common zones and shout what they were selling. This allowed them to manipulate prices, make absurd offers, rip people off; and all the while you have a ton of people in one place playing pranks on each other, talking to each other, that kind of thing. It generates a lot of Funny Stories. Same with raids; in early EQ raid bosses spawned on timers that could be hours or even days, so the major raid-capable guilds had to negotiate who was going to kill which boss on what days so they didn't step on each other's toes. This resulted in inter-guild meetings, and sometimes even wars, as guilds couldn't agree and aggressively tried to kill steal each other. EVE's infamous social engineering scams that were equal parts hilarious and ruinous; even WoW's 'Barren's Chat' was a lesser form of the phenomenon.

Basically these games had a lot of downtime or lack of systems which forced people to interact. It turns out the more you design a game for play, the less people interact. People will group with friends, sure, but the number of people who interact with strangers, and have meaningful or memorable interactions with strangers, shrinks the less they have to do it. Some people will always be fun and cordial online but some people only really interact because they have to. Queuing for a dungeon group, running the dungeon without a word, dropping a 'thx' in the chat and then disbanding is basically the modern standard for MMOs, and you can see how that has changed.

Now here's where I think the various MMO dreamers have it wrong; while all that stuff makes for good Funny Stories, I don't think they ever made for good games. An IRC chatroom can be funny, but that doesn't make it a game. MMOs proposed a world where people were fully immersed and roleplaying and engaging in this kind of stuff all the time, but the game part of those games tended to be less enjoyable than modern games by a pretty wide margin. People remember these games fondly because they have lots of good Stories but I think they rarely think about the fact that those stories exist in the absence of gameplay.

They were only ever fun in retrospect because of the Funny Story Problem. It's like chasing a game that never existed.

I think some people played mucks and muds where people would and could role play. Because everything was text, it was all a story and like reading a book, and good players could do great if they could write good.

Today people want that same kind of experience, but now there's graphics. Me writing that I'm sweating while tying to play a good hand of cards is totally different than me playing some card mini game. Or in some cases there is no card mini game, so my character is just standing there doing a repeated idle animation while I'm trying to write in the tiny chat window.

Meanwhile the world around me either doesn't know what's going on, or can't know, or don't care, so people are bunny hopping on the table, doing other things, maybe junking up the chat with trying to buy an onion for 10 gold or whatever... but everyone is effectively doing their own thing and there is no way to really dynamically draw people in to your little story.

So it all gets watered down, but people still dream of these super interesting events and hope some game will come along that helps make them happen.

In a muck or something, you could have a story play out over a long time. Months... longer. You could have people in one area for a long time because that's what they want to do and that's what the game inspires you to do. It wasn't about "winning", it was literally about the friends you made along the way and the stories you wrote and helped to write.

I feel like mmos tend to aim for bringing back the enjoyment and wild storytelling of a free-reign text based game where your character is not limited to what somebody animated characters as being able to do. Your character was as creative as you can write. Adding graphics to that kills the creativity.

Chris will never understand how graphics hurt creativity. All it does is constrain players to whatever the game lets them do. None of these are very exciting. Nobody is going to find excitement on a 4 hour or more ship cruise standing at a table and clicking "eat" on a candy bar every 5 minutes.

Engagement in this kind of game is different. Chris doesn't get it, lethality totally doesn't get it, cig doesn't get it.

Good luck. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Man I feel like I'm the exact opposite of Lethality. I stopped playing MMOs and live service games with daily/weekly checklists because I felt like the game was dictating my life, and I just want to play when I want and stop when I want. Hell, I'm actually finding myself avoiding playing Splatoon 3 right now specifically because of the ongoing splatfest - I know if I start I'll feel compelled to maximize my time instead of just playing for fun.

And then Lethality WANTS that. He explicitly DESIRES a game that controls his life. I will never understand that.

People want it when their real life is not giving it to them. It's a life replacement where they can make the right decisions in life and be respected by their peers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

From the main :reddit: "400 and 500 million rewards haven't started development yet, but they are coming"

:lol: Can't make this poo poo up. :lol:

Also more players, more payment methods, more concierge rewards: cause money is all that matters, even if it's just a Bar Citizen Q&A.

All dumb. :)

I guess pyro will be some big planets with a few hotspots of stuff to see on them.

Good to know it will be like a cheap version of No Mans Sky at that point. :shrug:

Glad they can spin up an AWS server in another region. Big congrats on that massive accomplishment. :)

Also someone should tell cig nothing is stopping them from making engaging multi crew excitement now. Stop creating invisible blockers because you don't actually know how you're going to make something work or be fun to play.

Honestly might impact your value of Alipay though. So better not do that on second thought. :)

Buy an idris today. :)