Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I did it. I stole Herald from some bastard. Killed them and they got to watch me finish her off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I ended up keeping all my gold bars from last season. I don't recall that happening before, is that a change?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I spent two matches thinking one of the weeklies was sliding into someone and knocking them back ten times, when it was just shooting them while sliding ten times.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

How does the bot population work exactly? Only the first three matches? Some bots every match? Something else?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

There's definitely bots in every match I play, I can usually tell which ones they are because I'm able to kill them.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

It slowly starts phasing in real players after a few matches, its not immediate. There's also occasionally a couple in regular games to fire off lobbies quicker but they usually die quickly

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Put a pretty big damper on my sense of victory after a bud pointed out the bots, though I already felt kinda bad about it because I imagined I was just turbostomping some eight year old using gyro controls on a 14" LCD fastened to the top of a wall at a weird angle.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

p sure the bots all have FirstLast00 names

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Did a quick google and it seems that used to be the case.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

when I wrapped up the week 1 quests I wanted to give someone a free kill instead of quitting out and it was early enough in the match that the first person I ran into was a bot that circled around me and missed every shot until someone behind a tree sniped them

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I’m pretty good and I still get bots in matches. It usually feels about ~2 teams of bots drop in most POIs

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

tbh i think the bots also are useful for kids trying to complete challenges using specific weapons/contexts that might otherwise be hard for them, so i'm not gonna complain too hard :v:

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

One way to tell is on the bus, bots thank the bus driver very slowly instead of a giant torrent of thanks all at once.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I appreciate that they still have the "Player is observing you" eyeball even when it was clearly a bot, really helps sell the illusion

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't start playing until the end of last season, and for the last few months kept hearing people say that bots are only in the matches until you hit around level 10. But I was over 20 this season, and still found a guy standing completely still while I slowly shot him in the back over and over. So now I just have no idea. I assume anyone that isn't in a fully dark color outfit isn't a player though. Because I only tend to see licensed characters when they're bots playing as Captain America and stuff.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Hrist posted:

I didn't start playing until the end of last season, and for the last few months kept hearing people say that bots are only in the matches until you hit around level 10. But I was over 20 this season, and still found a guy standing completely still while I slowly shot him in the back over and over. So now I just have no idea. I assume anyone that isn't in a fully dark color outfit isn't a player though. Because I only tend to see licensed characters when they're bots playing as Captain America and stuff.

Well let me clear it up for you: bots are absolutely in all matches.

They often have names like WildFish35 (two words followed by a two digit number).

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Once in a blue moon my crew will drop into games that are like 90% bots. That I think is a matchmaking bug though bc it's pretty rare

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Hrist posted:

Someone completely standing still was probably someone who went afk or had to drop suddenly. You'll often find players who went afk on the bus and are just standing where the bus dropped them because they didn't make it back very quickly, for example.

But bots are absolutely in all matches. They fill out a match after a certain period of time has passed to make sure it doesn't take too long to start a game.

You can tell them by how they move/how they build. For example they'll generally pop up a wall between you and them very quickly, but will not build a whole structure. They can see you and fire on you from ridiculous distances, but will still be missing more often then hitting. They generally don't have much in the way of loot/ammo once you kill them. When you see or hear a fight that seems to be going on forever? That is often two bots fighting.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah you can legit stand right in front of a bot and they won’t hit you.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Hrist posted:

I didn't start playing until the end of last season, and for the last few months kept hearing people say that bots are only in the matches until you hit around level 10.

That only applies to matches that are entirely populated by bots other than yourself. They're literal "bot lobbies."

As has been said, bots are in regular BR matches to fill out lobbies for faster queue times.

Unbearably Stinky
Jan 8, 2022

Hobo Clown posted:

I appreciate that they still have the "Player is observing you" eyeball even when it was clearly a bot, really helps sell the illusion

Yeah I feel really dumb every time I do some toxic emote after a kill and then realize it's a bot. There's like zero chance a bot is pitching their controller at the tv, and it leaves me feeling empty every time.

::chalk outline:: ::selfie::

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Unbearably Stinky posted:

Yeah I feel really dumb every time I do some toxic emote after a kill and then realize it's a bot. There's like zero chance a bot is pitching their controller at the tv, and it leaves me feeling empty every time.

::chalk outline:: ::selfie::

You emote for yourself. Never worry about an audience. "U can't see me" to a dead person is blessed

Unbearably Stinky
Jan 8, 2022
You know, you're right. I guess I've been so focused on making everyone else feel bad that I've entirely neglected self care.

From now on, I'm lil whippin' for me.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

King Burgundy posted:

You can tell them by how they move/how they build. For example they'll generally pop up a wall between you and them very quickly, but will not build a whole structure. They can see you and fire on you from ridiculous distances, but will still be missing more often then hitting. They generally don't have much in the way of loot/ammo once you kill them.

This is also me, except I don't have to build my one wall anymore.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Them adding one-shot sniper kills has made me realize how great it was that Fortnite was one of the few shooters where that wasn't a thing.

Getting game-ended multiple times in one night because some sweaty POS can click heads better than me is not a fun time.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

If someone can click heads better than you they were probably still gonna win

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

fellas, is it sweaty to press m1 on a head?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I subscribed to Marvel Unlimited to read the Fortnite comics for Marvel skins. Zero War was so bad. At least Batman x Fortnite was a fun read.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zokari posted:

If someone can click heads better than you they were probably still gonna win

Not really. Fortnite has a long ttk generally so smart positioning matters more than "I can pull out my sniper and get lucky one time". Dudes that spend hours in aim training should not be rewarded for their sad lives.

Getting killed from full health in one shot (ESPECIALLY in a BR) is a bad mechanic. gently caress that.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 28, 2022

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
it's good when skill is rewarded and generally speaking they also would have won a later, more intense fight against me. i am much better suited to dmr play but i'm glad the sniper exists. maybe give me some more gapclose options so i can punish them for missing too many times

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

im just glad we have a sniper that can handle firing more than one bullet before needing a reload :colbert:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I love getting that sweet ohko headshot from 200m. Makes the other 50 missed shots worth it.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I got hit with a ohko retreating over a hill when the other person was at the bottom and I assume they got me through grass. Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes, the bear eats you.

I also came in #2 yesterday by getting lost in Rave Cave and dying to the storm, so

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

it's good when skill is rewarded and generally speaking they also would have won a later, more intense fight against me. i am much better suited to dmr play but i'm glad the sniper exists. maybe give me some more gapclose options so i can punish them for missing too many times

There are lots of different types of skill and most of them are fun to play against. If I have an extended close-quarters combat with someone who is better at positioning than me I can enjoy myself even if I lose.

Getting headshot from someone 200m away that I didn't even see because I stopped moving to scratch my nose for two seconds, or dying at 50 meters bc I pulled out an AR and the other guy pulled out a sniper is not the fun kind of skill to lose to.

There are lots of games out there for people looking to show how good they are at putting their mouse on things. Fortnite does not need to be one of them.

Deathlove posted:

I got hit with a ohko retreating over a hill when the other person was at the bottom and I assume they got me through grass. Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes, the bear eats you.

This sounds like a lovely and un-fun experience that did not exist before the buff to snipers. The game would be better without it.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 28, 2022

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Mix. posted:

im just glad we have a sniper that can handle firing more than one bullet before needing a reload :colbert:

That was even worse since it didn't even OHKO on a headshot! Just an awful weapon that was only useful if you had to destroy one or two specific walls or a vehicle.

I'm glad the snipers have been un-nerfed, even if that does mean I get oneshot when I'm not expecting it. I'd rather that than useless scoped weapons.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

parasyte posted:

That was even worse since it didn't even OHKO on a headshot! Just an awful weapon that was only useful if you had to destroy one or two specific walls or a vehicle.

I'm glad the snipers have been un-nerfed, even if that does mean I get oneshot when I'm not expecting it. I'd rather that than useless scoped weapons.

I don't see how scoped weapons taking two hits to kill instead of one makes them useless but you do you I guess.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

PantsBandit posted:

I don't see how scoped weapons taking two hits to kill instead of one makes them useless but you do you I guess.
Two hits with a reload inbetween, vs a gun that can kill in one hit with 3 rounds in the mag. Massive difference.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

PancakeTransmission posted:

Two hits with a reload inbetween, vs a gun that can kill in one hit with 3 rounds in the mag. Massive difference.

1: Cracking someone's shield has value even if you can't kill in one shot
2: I'm not saying the current sniper isn't better, it obviously is. It just already was fine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yo you should have some shield on anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

PantsBandit posted:

This sounds like a lovely and un-fun experience that did not exist before the buff to snipers. The game would be better without it.

It was hilarious and taught me to hide myself better on hills! You hit the button and get a new game. que sera sera!