Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

now that’s what I call outreach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Hatebag posted:

So the hurricane should kill all the owners of the insurance and construction companies if it's serious about having a positive impact on the world

every hurricane season pushes more local insurers into bankruptcy and out of the gulf coast so this is kind of happening, in a financial sense. that sort of profit model doesn't really work when you regularly do have to actually pay out huge amounts of claims at once

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't rebuild when the barrier island washes away

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

the bitcoin of weed posted:

it likely will be a nothing burger, for people living in tampa. it is funny that port charlotte harbor will end up getting the worst case tampa bay scenario with the eastern eyewall shoving storm surge directly up into the bay

Yeah, but the point is that the storm is not a nothingburger and "it missed us this time" is not the same as "caution wasn't warranted."

Like obviously I'm putting words that haven't been said into people's mouths, but the response to things like this is inevitably that people think the original orders were an overreaction when in reality they were a completely appropriate and correct reaction.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

lol was that some dude trying to heckle cantore by walking against the wind by him?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

OK baizuo posted:

It's actually cool and good when overpriced suburban hellholes arrogantly built on the coast by rich ppl get washed away and return to nature

Ian is a good comrade

we all pay to rebuild them

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

every hurricane season pushes more local insurers into bankruptcy and out of the gulf coast so this is kind of happening, in a financial sense. that sort of profit model doesn't really work when you regularly do have to actually pay out huge amounts of claims at once

in fact you should be rooting for the rest of them to get bankrupted in this event.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Oglethorpe posted:

Naples, FL is underwater and I hope some rich jerks skimped on flood insurance

https://twitter.com/techbropicasso/status/1575153390425964552

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezF1qRBg1u8&t=442s

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/casspa/status/1575196014306557952

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

drat i hope jeff survives. that looks nuts

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Money isn't real

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

OK baizuo posted:

Are embedded Twitter videos all glitchy and stutter in the app for anyone else for the last couple days?

always have been.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

:emptyquote:

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Eventually these storms will become so frequent, along with rising sea levels, that this will become financially infeasible.

Maybe not this year, or next year, but that day is coming.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Good i hope they all go bankrupt. There's no place in coastal florida that should be insurable

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/ZachCoveyTV/status/1575198725106171904

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

landfall as a cat 4, incredible

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

that entire area is gone

tampa seems to have dodged a massive, massive bullet. it could have just been utterly horrific if it stayed a bit north

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Thinking long and hard about all the people who have told me they couldn't live in Pennsylvania because it snows once in a while.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Thinking long and hard about all the people who have told me they couldn't live in Pennsylvania because it snows once in a while.

pretty sure there hasn't been a truly bad snow in the philly metro for at least a decade

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

that Jeff you all love is back on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppPsqS9RRDU

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

none of us are innocent of sins against this planet, and none of us will be spared :)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

looks windy, op

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Florida man swims in poo poo

https://twitter.com/jedi_whisperer/status/1575199345233698816

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

drat, the basement pool finally popped

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

triple sulk posted:

drat, the basement pool finally popped

don’t be silly

no house in florida has basements

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

so a typical wednesday for Florida Man

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

florida man

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

triple sulk posted:

that entire area is gone

tampa seems to have dodged a massive, massive bullet. it could have just been utterly horrific if it stayed a bit north

(it won’t but) there’s still time for it to juke all expectations and do something weird!

or the next one might get them, either way living in Florida is on borrowed time more so than usual lately

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppPsqS9RRDU

goddamn if this crane falls

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

holy hell how slow is this thing moving?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

no jeff dont go CLOSER TO THE CRANES

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

actionjackson posted:

Weren't some runs estimating it would stall out Harvey style?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

no jeff dont go CLOSER TO THE CRANES

Jeff has an anti mattering shield but only in extreme weather, he lives for this

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

I heard 10mph on abc news about an hour ago

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Red Baron posted:

Jeff has an anti mattering shield but only in extreme weather, he lives for this

oh i know i was there for Blue Shed when he nearly got got by flying metal roofs

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

Weren't some runs estimating it would stall out Harvey style?

I believe that was a possibility discussed a few days ago, but the last consensus seemed to be that it would sweep the peninsula, get some reinforcement from a jet stream or special air over the Atlantic and turn back towards the coast for a little bit more mayhem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

actionjackson posted:

currently north-northeast at 9mph