Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The impression I get from reading threads here is that goons are just constantly fidgeting with every button and dial and knob in their car at all times while also constantly complaining about how unsafe it is to be distracted from the road for even a millisecond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The impression I get from reading threads here is that goons are just constantly fidgeting with every button and dial and knob in their car at all times while also constantly complaining about how unsafe it is to be distracted from the road for even a millisecond.

:yeah:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I'm sure people are fine with touch screen for whatever, but I just like real buttons, most things with physical buttons in cars turn in to muscle memory, so it's not that big of a deal. The reason it works on a phone is that you have to look at the phone anyway.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You can't claim that this is a reason for preferring physical controls while simultaneously being unable to name a single car that operates in this fashion.

quote:

Also handy for pointing down to see if I am in the lines when parking, then forgetting, then being able to easily fix them when I am on the highway without taking my eyes off the road, twatting about with a touchscreen.

Cars that have mirrors on the touchscreen are also probably going to auto tilt the mirrors or have 360 degree cameras which are better for seeing the lines anyway.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

YOLOsubmarine posted:

:hmmyes:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

I adjust my mirrors while driving all the time, so this sounds like a terrible idea to me. If I change my seat position or even how I'm sitting I usually need to bump the mirrors a bit, and a four-way button control with tactile feel is exactly the right thing for that. Also in most vehicles to reach the screen I have to move my entire body and thus my head isn't even in the right place anymore.

This is wild to me. I buy a car, I set the seat to where I want it to be, then set the mirrors. In the three years I have had my car, I have only moved the seat position once, while I was cleaning it so that I could vacuum under the seat better.

I have not touched the mirror controls since I was in the dealer lot the day I bought the car.

Why would you ever adjust the seat position and mirrors while actively driving?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

This is wild to me. I buy a car, I set the seat to where I want it to be, then set the mirrors. In the three years I have had my car, I have only moved the seat position once, while I was cleaning it so that I could vacuum under the seat better.

I have not touched the mirror controls since I was in the dealer lot the day I bought the car.

Why would you ever adjust the seat position and mirrors while actively driving?

LOL if you aren't driving with one hand on the shifter and the other hand on the mirror adjust. We have knees for a reason, people!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

LOL if you aren't driving with one hand on the shifter and the other hand on the mirror adjust. We have knees for a reason, people!

(The reason is steering)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In driving school they taught me to adjust the mirrors when parallel parking :shrug:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

cruft posted:

(The reason is steering)

Suckin' dick bought this van EV

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Vegetable posted:

In driving school they taught me to adjust the mirrors when parallel parking :shrug:

what the hell

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

https://sasatimes.com/the-tesla-model-3-performs-the-worst-in-the-adac-test/

Sure its just that goons are bad.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
All I can say is I drive a lot of different brands of cars for work and all their software blows.

Physical controls are pretty much standardized and I adjust mirrors every single time I drive a car for work. Nobody’s software is standardized and I dread thinking what Toyota or Honda or dodge or ford will come up with.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

stop adjusting your mirrors while you're driving

also: make profile that says "i want to look at the lines" push on touchscreen, push on touchscreen to go back to other profile. you guys are loving absurd.

You have so many weirdly strong opinions about how people want to control their cars. That's fine if you want touchscreen everything but other people... don't. You're saying everyone who doesn't agree with you is some spergy goony goon who is objectively wrong? Whatever man.

IMO it's just easier to have the loving joystick there, it probably costs the OEM :10bux:. And yeah I have fiddled with my mirrors occasionally when at a red light or something.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
best part of having physical buttons is you can't change where they are located in an over the air software update

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do you guys only use like classic full keyboard blackberries and poo poo or what

Full keyboard phones are absolutely still better for text entry than touchscreens, it’s just that people no longer spend most of their phone time typing so more screen is a much better use of the limited space. And typing on your phone shouldn’t ever be time/safety critical so the loss of accuracy is acceptable. Nobody is removing physical controls from cars because of space constraints, it’s all either penny pinching or dumb Tesla cargo culting.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Touch screens are bad for some things and fine for others but online discourse requires people to stake out the extreme and say things like “every car should be controlled in exactly the way they were when I was learning to drive twenty five years ago, anything else is objectively wrong and essentially murder.”

Mirrors on touch screens are fine. I think a joystick or whatever is more ergonomically pleasing but it’s not a safety issue because you shouldn’t be adjusting your side mirrors while driving anyway because you can’t be attentive to the road ahead of you if you’re staring at your side mirror and fiddling with a joystick to find the sweet spot. If they aren’t perfectly set, like, move your head when you need to check them until you can adjust them at a stop.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Put turn signal buttons on the touchscreen too IMO, it's not like I ever use those

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Just replace it all with a huge touchscreen so I can steer and accelerate/brake like I’m playing a crappy ad-supported racing game on my phone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you think about it, do we even need the shifter?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Put turn signal buttons on the touchscreen too IMO, it's not like I ever use those

Oh, do you drive a BMW?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Infinotize posted:

You have so many weirdly strong opinions about how people want to control their cars. That's fine if you want touchscreen everything but other people... don't. You're saying everyone who doesn't agree with you is some spergy goony goon who is objectively wrong? Whatever man.

IMO it's just easier to have the loving joystick there, it probably costs the OEM :10bux:. And yeah I have fiddled with my mirrors occasionally when at a red light or something.

i absolutely do not want touchscreen everything but rarely used controls that are used while the vehicle is not in motion are like, the ideal use case for touchscreen interfaces.

i'm mostly making fun of the people who are like "adjusting my mirrors while driving is something i do all the time and is safety critical so putting this in a touchscreen is UNSAFE!!!"

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Wait how is an adequate score equal to “significant safety risk? And the high beams are 100% controlled via a stalk. I have many questions about this test.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Is it possible to angle your side mirrors to blind the person behind you driving with their brights on - with their own lights. I’ll try it tonight and film it with my phone

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Is it possible to angle your side mirrors to blind the person behind you driving with their brights on - with their own lights. I’ll try it tonight and film it with my phone

I've been known to adjust my mirrors to prevent being blinded by trucks behind me. I figure I'm not getting any useful information from the mirrors anyway, so I may as well turn them off.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Wait how is an adequate score equal to “significant safety risk? And the high beams are 100% controlled via a stalk. I have many questions about this test.

The original source I only found in German, but google translate does decent job.

https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/tests/technik/ablenkung-durch-bedienelemente/

Here is another Swedish usability test. Volvo V70 from 2005 with only physical buttons wins.

https://www.vibilagare.se/nyheter/physical-buttons-outperform-touchscreens-new-cars-test-finds

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

How are you even adjusting your mirrors while driving in the first place, don't you only have 2 hands? One for phone, one for pizza slice?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i absolutely do not want touchscreen everything but rarely used controls that are used while the vehicle is not in motion are like, the ideal use case for touchscreen interfaces.

i'm mostly making fun of the people who are like "adjusting my mirrors while driving is something i do all the time and is safety critical so putting this in a touchscreen is UNSAFE!!!"

:yeah:

QuarkJets posted:

How are you even adjusting your mirrors while driving in the first place, don't you only have 2 hands? One for phone, one for pizza slice?

:hmmyes:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The local car share here uses mostly Kia Stonics and Tesla Model 3s (there were some Polestar 2s but they seem to have disappeared)

When you jump into a Kia it takes about 2 seconds to adjust the seat/mirrors and belt height, on the Tesla it takes much longer.

As for memory seats my own car has them (good) but there are only two positions. Would it really have killed them to put in a button for a third profile?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

QuarkJets posted:

Dick in left hand, pizza in right hand, phone propped up in front of speedometer, voice commands to change video.

On most cars you can adjust the mirror controls while grasping the pizza so long as you don't mind a bit of cheese on the door trim.

Assuming a RHD car, LHD might need to swap the pizza and dick hands

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And using your tongue to type out a message to your favorite twitch streamer, who you are obviously watching on the center console, therefore it's too impractical to get rid of the physical mirror buttons. QED

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

dissss posted:

The local car share here uses mostly Kia Stonics and Tesla Model 3s (there were some Polestar 2s but they seem to have disappeared)

When you jump into a Kia it takes about 2 seconds to adjust the seat/mirrors and belt height, on the Tesla it takes much longer.

As for memory seats my own car has them (good) but there are only two positions. Would it really have killed them to put in a button for a third profile?

Why are you fiddling with your belt while driving you pervert

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Looking forward to the apple car where you can ask siri to do everything, then she misunderstands and opens your trunk while on the freeway, dumping your groceries at 80mph

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My Tesla sometimes can’t figure out that if it interprets what I say as “old mirrors” or “hold mirrors” it should probably just go ahead and fold the mirrors.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A question for Bolt owners: does the video rear view mirror darken properly for when an rear end in a top hat behind you turns on their high beams?

Also my dealer said my Bolt is tentatively going to arrive on October 7- I know there is an emphasis on tentative but still I’m stoked

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

A question for Bolt owners: does the video rear view mirror darken properly for when an rear end in a top hat behind you turns on their high beams?

Also my dealer said my Bolt is tentatively going to arrive on October 7- I know there is an emphasis on tentative but still I’m stoked

Are you able to delay the final purchase until January to (potentially) get some tax credit?

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Would you guys plug a chevy bolt charger into this?

It runs from a 20amp circuit on the panel, and then connects to this

Which turns on a dinky lightbulb. It then runs along to a simple outlet, which my garage door connects to. I know garage doors use a lot of load...

Reading the Bolt charger manual it makes a big deal of it being a "dedicated individual branch circuit." and this appears to definitely be a daisy chain without GFCI protection.

So yeah, I don't know poo poo about electric. Would you guys plug into this? I'll be getting a 240 professional installed, hopefully soon, so this would just be to keep me going for a bit in the interim.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Harveygod posted:

Are you able to delay the final purchase until January to (potentially) get some tax credit?

I seriously need a car 3 months ago so no

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Those are surely good reasons not to plug in but I’d probably still do it and just turn my current draw down to 12A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I seriously need a car 3 months ago so no

You get a 2k discount if you sign up for Uber to be a driver, just a heads up. I didn’t even get my background check done or anything, just had to show a screenshot of a profile with my photo in it, could not have been easier