Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I think he's talking about the cave at the rocks not the cave at the desolate beach, the cave at the rocks is safe to inhabit, the one at the desolate beach will indeed flood every high tide. Also tide pools are a minor source of discomfort, so if you say do a lot of crafting outside the cave next to the pools you'll have somewhat more stress to deal with than normal.

But yeah, cave living is valid, the main trade offs are limited internal space, faster filth buildup, and I believe some furniture is restricted, tho that flopped back and forth allot during EA and not sure where it landed.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Thanks all, guess I will hide in that cave until storm season is over so I can build a mudhouse somewhere.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The full version of Grounded went up just now if you were like me and waiting to check that out. I played through an hour or so of it way back when it first hit EA so I'm looking forward to seeing what's been added/changed since then.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah the PC gamer review was very positive and I'm quite excited to hear about it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just a friendly reminder it is on PC Gamepass (it's developed by Obsidian) but may not be bumped to the new releases since it's been on there for a while.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah i was looking at that and how it still said "early version" or "demo" or something

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah i was looking at that and how it still said "early version" or "demo" or something

I played a bit on break today, it's definitely the full version but still is labeled as a game preview. Seems very good so far, I like a lot of the UI and QOL stuff like being able to "hot craft" intermediate resources that are needed to craft more complex things so you don't have to change to another item to make 5 dinguses so you can go back and make 1 dongus.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Where have you guys been setting up in card survival? I'm finally setting up a mud hut now that it's the dry season and Im thinking of setting up in the western Highlands. Good access to wood and hunting nearby, and the distance from the ocean isn't bad since I can just keep my shed at the bay as an outpost. I also want to use the hole for storage since I'm a hoarder and need somewhere to put my 47 broken conch shells and bird bones

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I've tried a few places and I like the grasslands best, the one that borders Jungle and Mangroves. Nice and central so you aren't too far from wetlands and ocean, good population of animals once you've killed a few lizards, not high insect by default, storms don't wash away all your crap, and even has a cave to drag your stinky refuse into.

I liked to live in the jungle and wetlands before insect disease became a thing, but now I live in constant fear of the malaria bar. I never dry the bark you need before wet season and then it just can't happen and I lose my will to live. In general though, every spot that doesn't have high intensity storms that wash away all your belongings and steal your actions are fine places to live.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm definitely setting up in the jungle but my character has the insect repellant trait so it's not as bad as it could be. Lots of ways to stave off bugs, especially if you stay inside, but it is a risk. The central location helps.
Well, I say central location but I've never been further than the wetlands or the rocks, so really I'm almost at the first wet season and I've stayed almost in one place this entire time. Guess I really wanted to focus down this mud hut.

Rynoto posted:

If you haven't made a spindle yet then it saves massive amounts of time on cord/yarns.
I apparently haven't trained my tailoring enough to unlock that yet. It's weird the things that apparently do and don't train skills, 30 days in and my herbology's only just high enough to make aloe vera gel, and tailoring's been languishing (though I haven't had much need for cloth yet, either, so I guess I haven't made a ton)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

As much as I enjoy card survival it's gotten to the point that I feel like i'm actively avoiding opening the game because I know there's a heap of stuff to do when I get in and I was low on water when I stopped playing last but am getting hungry so i gotta think about that and the shed's almost done so I need to weave some more palms and gently caress i forgot about the stuff on the fire and now that's full of charred remains and... agh. Just gets weirdly stressful and I think a lot of it has to do with how the cards are organized. I keep imagining exactly this game but with a big board to organize cards in sort of like how Cultist Simulator worked instead of the 3 rows thing and I think I like that game better. I'm on a phone but it feels like a mobile-centric UI and even then it's still sorta aggravating to deal with at times.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 27, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

explosivo posted:

As much as I enjoy card survival it's gotten to the point that I feel like i'm actively avoiding opening the game because I know there's a heap of stuff to do when I get in and I was low on water when I stopped playing last but am getting hungry so i gotta think about that and the shed's almost done so I need to weave some more palms and gently caress i forgot about the stuff on the fire and now that's full of charred remains and... agh. Just gets weirdly stressful and I think a lot of it has to do with how the cards are organized. I keep imagining exactly this game but with a big board to organize cards in sort of like how Cultist Simulator worked instead of the 3 rows thing and I think I like that game better. I'm on a phone but it feels like a mobile-centric UI and even then it's still sorta aggravating to deal with at times.

Part of the issue is that the game time runs in chunks so there's no "weave the fronds for 15 mins, get the food off the fire, finish the fronds." You're there for 45 minutes flat, so something that burns in 30 minutes on the fire can't be cooked while you work. Just an example, but in that way time can really get away from you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I usually extract fibre from snake grass or coconut husks while cooking, nice easy 15 minute intervals

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I definitely agree that being able to pause and return to long tasks, and a larger card board rather than a single scrollable line, are basically the two changes that would really bring this game to the next level. Mostly just interface and convenience stuff at this point.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Card Survival:
So playing around with some of the different start settings and holyfuck the Extreme Rain condition is brutal. Sure you don't need to worry about water but so many heavy rains/storms leaves you constantly cold and mood just destroyed.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Wound up losing my character to a combo of a gross rear end komodo bite and it being too loving hot all the time :negative: with a fever, even laying in the ocean has a hard time cooling you down, and you sweat so hard you basically dry out overnight

Gonna try a custom campaign next, not sure what factors I'm gonna use but I like the idea of the airplane crash start

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I managed to get a shed finished in the jungle, due to the abundance of materials to build it, and for once feel like I'm somewhat ahead of the game and not frantically fighting with fluctuating bars (for now). Just sniping macaques all day with the spear when they come waltzing through (only got bit once!) :c00lbert:

Not sure if anyone else is playing on Android or if this problem is present on the PC version as well but there's a real annoying bug where if there's not enough space for something you're dragging into something else the item card will stay hovering over the container even after you've let go of it. The only way to fix it is to try and drag it into a spot or move to another area and come back. Dev's pushing updates almost daily on Android which is great, I just hope this gets fixed sooner than later because it's been real annoying.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

explosivo posted:

Not sure if anyone else is playing on Android or if this problem is present on the PC version as well...
Ain't had any issues like that so I assume it's an android issue.
Make sure to report the bug however, devs seem real ontop of poo poo when they are made aware of it. Half the threads I read on the steam forum had a micropatch within a day fixing an issue that someone brought up.

Danaru posted:

Gonna try a custom campaign next, not sure what factors I'm gonna use but I like the idea of the airplane crash start

Airplane start is surprisingly powerful. Honestly it should have a score malus instead of bonus, not that score means anything.

I quite enjoy military background, it gives you a bit of a headstart and some strong tools without feeling too strong like the survivalist background does. The belt and canteen are ok, pants and boots are great for when they last, and the gun is a nice limited I Win button for animal encounters, but man that military knife is so convenient.

I still need to try the killer drones setting, and I just realized they took out the reality tv setting, never got to play with that, shame. Maybe it'll come back eventually.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

New fanatical bundle has the pretty janky Survivalist: Invisible Strain

It’s $4 and comes with other decent games so :shrug:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/savior-bundle
$4 for:
Survivalist: Invisible Strain
Cook Serve Delicious 3
Terrain of Magical Expense
AVICII invector: Encore Edition
Nobodies
Those who remain
Tower of time
Danger Sacavenger

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Is there a thread for Grounded? Haven't played since one of the first few EA updates and excited to see what's changed since even in EA it was a really solid game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Soonmot posted:

Is there a thread for Grounded? Haven't played since one of the first few EA updates and excited to see what's changed since even in EA it was a really solid game.

I think a few of us here mentioned playing it but not sure if there's an official thread for it. Feels great so far, like very polished and I love the vibe. They really make things like blades of grass and baseballs feel gargantuan, but then you look up and see a bird chilling just above the grass and it's like holy poo poo

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wait the card game is on android?? I googled it and I didn't see ugh.

Edit: is it card survival tropical island?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah that's the one

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jack B Nimble posted:

That's what it's called on Steam too.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

explosivo posted:

Yeah, I was trying to nail down what stresses me out about the game and the UI is a big part of it. You've got a shitload of spinning plates after a while and you can't see most of them. The game gives zero help with this. You start something cooking and forget and commit to something that takes long enough to burn your food? The game gives no warning or prompt about it, you just lost your poo poo.

The game also does a really poor job of helping you figure out what you can make. Like rope for example, you get recipes that call for rope but there is no help entry for rope (or maybe it was some other ingredient I'm thinking of).

Trying to keep track of all that poo poo your head is just not fun for me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RandomBlue posted:

It'd be better if the quick filter options included everything. It's just bizarre that some items don't fall under the filter categories so to see things like tools you need to have the filter off and have to manually scroll around to find the axe you need. There's also a way to bookmark individual items to quickly find them with the 1-6 numbers on the bottom row but that has pretty limited use too imo.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
There is an entry for rope but it doesn't actually tell you how to make it yarn + yarn. And I'm on the other side that really enjoys that the game just lets you work out how to survive and throws a bunch of options for it at you. The book big ol list of stuff could probably do with having the rest of its placeholders filled out but the major stuff is mostly there explaining what plants do what and how to make everything. Burned food sucks but is ultimately replaceable as hunger actually takes a long while to kill you and doesn't have any longterm negative effects unless you do it for extended periods of times.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CuddleCryptid posted:

Part of the issue is that the game time runs in chunks so there's no "weave the fronds for 15 mins, get the food off the fire, finish the fronds." You're there for 45 minutes flat, so something that burns in 30 minutes on the fire can't be cooked while you work. Just an example, but in that way time can really get away from you.

if you start a 45-minute task when you put a 30-minute-to-cook item on the campfire, you'll come out before it burns

RandomBlue posted:

You start something cooking and forget and commit to something that takes long enough to burn your food? The game gives no warning or prompt about it, you just lost your poo poo.

in addition to the other comments, may i perhaps interest you in smoking things on the stove? you'll still get annoyed when you burn crabs but a lot of your cooking products will continue to the smoking stage, then sit there happily for hours if you forget (while the stove wastes a bunch of fuel lol)

Rynoto posted:

Burned food sucks but is ultimately replaceable as hunger actually takes a long while to kill you and doesn't have any longterm negative effects unless you do it for extended periods of times.

there's supposedly a hidden nutrition meter that mostly impacts how quickly you get hungry but i don't know if that's true

e: hooray, dry season survived, unless there's another curveball out there waiting to touchdown me for the checkmate, this character's going to make it to the end

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 28, 2022

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, for fire cooking the burn time is twice the cook time, so something that cooks in 25 minutes will be burned in 50, and you can plan around that and pull things off close to the last minute. The proper stove also extends the burn time by a bit, and most meat/fish will now smoke instead of burn, as mentioned. Proper meals will also never burn, regardless of where you cook them.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

there's supposedly a hidden nutrition meter that mostly impacts how quickly you get hungry but i don't know if that's true

There is a hidden nutrition stat I believe, that affects where your body weight is heading, but your hunger is affected primarily by your appetite stat, which is revealed in the big stat list. Overeating will slowly increase your appetite, making you get hungry faster, and starving does the opposite. Being depressed significantly decreases your appetite and some other things can give it temporary buffs/debuffs.

Having a big appetite makes it easy to eat more food in a day and thus gain more weight, while a small appetite makes your mood easier to manage as being hungry is a big mood debuff, but will generally see your weight trend down, which will eventually kill you due to malnutrition.

e:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

e: hooray, dry season survived, unless there's another curveball out there waiting to touchdown me for the checkmate, this character's going to make it to the end

Are yah gonna call the island your home or try to survive the raftventure to get back to civilization?

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 28, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Are there any good survival games for iOS? I was excited when I heard Card Survival was getting an iOS port, but now it looks like it'll be at least a few months before that happens.

Obviously there's Don't Starve, but I've already played it for hundreds of hours.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I've gotta say the one thing that I don't really get about Card Survival is why Long Sticks are so seemingly rare. Constantly chopping down small trees for 1 stick seems weird.

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

Let's put on our classics and have a little dance shall we?

LLSix posted:

Are there any good survival games for iOS? I was excited when I heard Card Survival was getting an iOS port, but now it looks like it'll be at least a few months before that happens.

Obviously there's Don't Starve, but I've already played it for hundreds of hours.

NeoScavenger is on iOS but the interface is clunky especially on a phone.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I currently have a respectable stockpile by virtue of frantically exploring for banana trees, but yeah, there's not really a smooth way to get specifically loads of long sticks. otoh you're going to need an enormous supply of logs, so,

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
On iOS I really like Dawn of Crafting although it's not really a survival game, it's certainly survival adjacent

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah, I was trying to nail down what stresses me out about the game and the UI is a big part of it. You've got a shitload of spinning plates after a while and you can't see most of them. The game gives zero help with this. You start something cooking and forget and commit to something that takes long enough to burn your food? The game gives no warning or prompt about it, you just lost your poo poo.

The game also does a really poor job of helping you figure out what you can make. Like rope for example, you get recipes that call for rope but there is no help entry for rope (or maybe it was some other ingredient I'm thinking of).

I think somewhere along the way in development they changed how crafting works, moving from combining cards to blueprints. Some things you just drag a card on top of another card, some things you make blueprints. Blueprints are fairly understandable and accessible whereas card dragging requires juggling cards a bit, some cards do it better than others (a knife will husk a coconut twice as fast as a rock, but they'll both offer the option and that difference isn't immediately obvious), and there's no way to look up what all these interactions are. Hell, some recipes work both ways, like coconut milk is a blueprint recipe but you can also just drag two cards together for it. Some sort of table of contents for this in the encyclopedia, or at least a list of all interactions being printed on a given card's info, would be nice.

I still think a lot of it comes back to being much easier to manage if it was a big grid or table vs the single scrolling line they've got now, but I don't think that will ever change.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Soonmot posted:

speaking of grounded, is there a way to turn off this disgusting "no building rights" thing where the game won't let you build anywhere interesting

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Grounded has a very nice "shared server" option that basically lets you have a dedicated server type situation with you and whichever friends you share the world with. Either myself or my friend can start playing our game in our shared world and join on the other and progress is always saved when one of us quits. Also really digging the building system; the blueprints make it super easy to map out your build and everybody can contribute. Freely being able to relocate things (within a certain radius from the original location) is another huge plus too. Really digging this game so far.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

I think somewhere along the way in development they changed how crafting works, moving from combining cards to blueprints.

They did exactly this. Blueprints were always there, but were reserved more for structures or big complicated things, many recipes and every two ingredient recipe were click and drag. At some point they backfilled most recipes into the blueprint system and stopped making new click and drag stuff, but left many of the old interactions in.

For example you used to make stone axes by taking embers from a campfire, click dragging them onto a piece of wood, waiting for it to burn a handle, then click dragging the sharp rock into the new handle.

edit:
Oh they literally added that back in just today lol

It's significant 'active' time savings on crafting a stone axe, if you can spare the embers. Takes longer overall, but much less time spent locked into a craft.

double edit:
May as well post the whole patch notes

patch notes posted:

Minor New Features:

- Puddles will now only convert any safe water added to them into unsafe water.
- You can no longer pour salt water or other liquids into puddles.
- Sealed containers now fill over time just like open ones.
- Containers that are being filled with rain now display so with an icon and with a text in their description window.
- Drinking now takes a minitick.
- Bee Skeps can now be crafted without bees and moved around, and then placed with a new blueprint once bees are acquired.
- Woven backpacks can now be dismantled to get the rope and basket back.
- Woven Backpacks can now be made by dragging ropes into baskets.
- Important improvements to the Rain, Sun and Bug systems.
- New Rain Start Perk added.
- New Perk Survival Trunk 2000 (really a modified version of the old supply trunk).
- You can now make honey water with honey too, not just with honeycombs.
- Changed Seafood Cup blueprint to make it simpler.
- Honey and honeywater can now be applied to wounds.
- Perforated Coconuts now show their spoilage level.
- Dry and Empty crop plots can no longer be infected by mites or fungus.
- You can now boil large amounts of rice at once.
- You can now carve holes on wood with embers and craft stone axes by dragging a sharpened stone in the resulting hole, just as it used to be before.
- Cinchona trees can now also be found in the jungle.
- Ropes can now be carried with you on shoulder slots.
- Stones can now be sharpened against small stones, but it takes longer.
- Combination interactions that have redundant blueprints now unlock them when used.
- Re-enabled hitting coconuts with stones.

Fixes:

- Fixed an issue that was stopping rain from lowering bug population.
- Fixed some issues with the Diarrhoea, Rice Effect and some other stats not visualizing properly.
- Trees no longer heal from cuts as that was messing with the tree-cutting process.
- Fixed a bug that was preventing you from gaining distance from the hunter when swimming to and from the Bird Rock.
- Fixed a bug where things that were dragged out of shelter after a storm could still be affected by the storm damage when you leave a safe environment.
- Fixed a bug that would stop lung damage from killing you.
- Fixed a bug that was causing burnt mortar to give too much quicklime when ground.
- Fixed a bug that was causing Stiched lacerations to bleed.
- Fixed a bug with the Survival Trunk that was causing placement problems.
- Fixed an issue with the crashed plane and bugs.
- Weston can no longer be blown away by storm winds.
- Fixed a bug where some available blueprints would need to be researched again after loading a save.
- Fixed a bug that was making the drying rack not work properly.
- Fixed a bug where nested inventories would lose their content when their containers were dragged into another environment.
- Some fixes to perk prices.
- Minor fixes to the character journals.
- Items can now be dragged between cave system chambers whenever possible.
- Fixed some bugs with honeywater and sugarwater fermentation.
- Fixed a bug that was causing players not to wake up when too cold, putting them at risk of death from hypothermia.
- Fixed a bug that was causing roofs to collapse (and this time for real!).
- Difficulty adjustment to starting location perks.
- Fixed a bug with risk estimation when climbing palm trees.
- Fixed a bug that was causing storms to be able to affect you in stone huts.
- Lizard Fry was incorrectly marked as a vegetarian dish, this has been fixed.
- Tweaks to stat screens.
- Fixed bug that was causing tide pools to smell bad even when you were in a different environment.

That is all for now. Take care and see you next time!

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lucky Raccoon posted:

NeoScavenger is on iOS but the interface is clunky especially on a phone.

CDDA is also on iOS but it sucks to interact with it via a software keyboard.