Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Escobarbarian posted:

I think liking things is fine as long as you don’t reach bop-level madness/driving the people around you insane over it

Listen bitch, i didn’t do that to casnorf, I simply bought him the game and didn’t say much more. I only do that when I *know* that someone will love something, and I know they’re planning on playing it so it’s less of me begging them and more just making a dumb joke about me being impatient. look at veeg, admittedly I bugged them for months about playing both outer wilds, but even moreso with echoes of the eye, because I knew that he would have the reaction that he did and it was amazing. And I guess I also nagged him about the last guardian too, but he also loved that!

As for bp and my nagging, that’s because BP (and veni really) basically got me back into video games, like, prior to late 2016, I had kinda stopped playing games when I started middle school, aside from super popular ones like fallout 3 or bioshock Infinite or portal 1 and 2. But one of the last games i played that I really fell in love with was shadow of the colossus either in 2005 or 2006, and the day they announced project Trico aka the last guardian, I absolutely couldn’t wait and I watched the trailer with the music from miller’s crossing like a thousand times. I even bought my parents ps3 off of them that they bought to watch blu rays and never used, and then when it came out I bought a ps4 just to play it. I only had TLG and uncharted 4 which came bundled with my ps4, and I played TLG repeatedly, like 6-7 times and basically platted it. then I tried uncharted 4, and played for like 5 hours straight and it did nothing for me, probably because I was playing it right after TLG, a game that I’d been waiting like 8 years for that lived up to every expectation and more.

So anyways, I didn’t post much on SA before that, but I was excited about TLG and asked if there were any more ps4 games like TLG, and BP and veni were both like play Bloodborne just trust me. And I hated it at first and thought it was a sick joke, but then obviously it became one of my favorite games. But by playing those two games back to back, I fell in love with video games again, and literally since then, I’ve played an insane amount of brilliant games, thanks to this forum, or the ps4 thread specifically and BP and veni.

So I have a certain level of respect for BP for that (and Veni) and we also tend to enjoy similar games. But in addition to bp playing a single hour of outer wilds in December, then not playing it at all until like a week ago, he kept saying that it was ‘next’ on his list, and I was mostly trolling when I’d nag him to play it. But also I’m genuinely curious what he thinks of the game, both because I enjoy it so much and also because it’s unlike any other game I can think of.

Sorry that was a very cringe earnest post, but I can’t have esco busting my balls in public like this, this is the second time in a week !!

Edit: That was a bad snipe. I like a lot of games, but outer wilds and disco elysium for me are just like actual masterpieces, that go so far above and beyond any other game I’ve played that I can’t help but get excited about them and want friends to get the chance to experience as well. Is that so bad esco !! I played nier automata initially, in part because of how much the forums enjoyed it, but also because you had a 9S avatar that looked cool, and it’s one of my favorite games of all time!

imhotep fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

not reading that shi’!!!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lolling at skull and bones.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have receipts from the switch thread telling you to play disco elysium and you were like yeh I might when it goes on sale. Shoulda listened to me sooner!’

Edit: cause you and I both posted about our love of autechre’s live sets from 2015 so I thought, this man likes dense, complex, challenging art that, if you can get past that, is very fun and undeniably genius, so I knew you’d like disco elysium.

Also u also love burial so I thought you’d enjoy the hauntological aspects (as derrida and mark fisher describe it) of Disco Elysium (which explicitly references this with the pale, the ravers, the revolution, etc.) so there’s that too.

(Lol)

imhotep fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 28, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
more like poop poop perano!!!!!!!

You know I love you really my dude

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Escobarbarian posted:

more like poop poop perano!!!!!!!

You know I love you really my dude

Likewise, I wouldn’t just call anyone a bitch, I meant it in an endearing way. But yeah I thought I’d explain why specifically I’ve been busting BP’s chops, but also explaining how much the ps4/5 threads literally changed my life and turned me into a gigantic video game nerd.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I like bop being so passionate about outer Wilds and stuff. It's better when ppl earnest post instead of relying on tired old gimmicks

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
:ironicat:

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Thanks fridge, I’d also like to point out that I was a big fridge corn fan even back when he was more of a troll, and mostly posting about how good andromeda was and how thread favorite games were boring. U can check the ps4 thread to see that I was always a big fridge corn supporter since day one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’s certainly better than the miseryposting you can see in many places. Shine on bop you crazy diamond

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love weed and video games :)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I know we were talking favorite themes, but I won't stand for this fridge corn love.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I just like good art a lot that gets me riled up and I don’t understand people who don’t get obsessed with or have favorite pieces of music or whatever art form it may be. Like my sister, who I genuinely don’t think has an actual like list of favorite artists or movies or songs or anything, she just kind of consumes TV and tik tok or like whatever movies are extremely popular and it creeps me tf out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
bop have you seen synecdoche new york? i feel about that movie how you feel about lots of things

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Casnorf posted:

theres exactly one disco elysium zealot whose opinion on this matter i respect because he put his loving money where his mouth is

haha i just saw this, i don't know how i missed it. and yes, i have bought 2 other people disco elysium now (on sale for like13 dollars, so it wasn't that crazy), and i've bought outer wilds for like 3 people as well and 2/3 loved it, one said it was maybe their favorite game of all time and the reason i bought it for them was because i knew the wouldn't have played it otherwise, and the one who didn't finish it i think got too freaked out by it.

Escobarbarian posted:

I think everyone on both sides makes good points. I personally would not be pushing for veeg to make any specific decisions, and not just because I haven’t played most of it. I do think it seems like a very personal experience in many ways. However I think veeg should stream it just because it’s the only way to confirm he will actually both play and complete it, and that there are moments calibrated perfectly to veeg stream humour. Plus he can figure out his own voice for the main guy!

as esco knows, i've mentioned a few times how great veeg streaming disco elysium would be, and also because it's one of the only games with twitch chat integration built into the game.

but also at this point, i feel like my track record for veeg stream recs have been pretty solid, like the last guardian, outer wiilds, echoes of the eye, we got to get all emoesh with him at the ends of those, and at least with the latter two, it seems like he considers the game and dlc one of his favorite games. i tear'd up a liiittle bit at the end of disco elysium, i won't say which part, but it was also cause the music is so good.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Escobarbarian posted:

bop have you seen synecdoche new york? i feel about that movie how you feel about lots of things

it's one of my fav movies and i regularly listen to the jon brion soundtrack in its entirety
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA_ubhYgjAc

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
isn’t the disco elysium twitch integration about voting on choices though? that is absolutely not what should happen

and hell yeah synecdoche is amazing

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I think the viewers can also vote to temporarily buff one of the player's four big stats by one step (by reducing one of the other ones)

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Escobarbarian posted:

isn’t the disco elysium twitch integration about voting on choices though? that is absolutely not what should happen

and hell yeah synecdoche is amazing

Only if the person streaming can’t decide, they can let chat vote. And also chat can look at their stats and thought cabinet at any time.

Also lol I’ve been watching the rehearsal and it’s just synecdoche New York! But it’s great. Also ladybird was great like you said, and also has a great job Brion score.

edit: esco what is your favorite jon brion scored movie/jon brion score period. he's got so many bangers including unexpected ones like paranorman (which has a great theme !) and the short pixar movie the blue umbrella. (and some weird rom coms like the break up with vince vaughn and jennifer anniston, but ignore those cause he's got so many other good ones)

imhotep fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 28, 2022

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
A couple of days ago, folks ITT were expressing fear about moving their fancy OLED TVs. Get you one of these in the relevant size: https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-Heavy-Duty-Large-Adjustable-TV-and-Picture-Moving-Box-with-Handles-1001018/203339256

I had an LG CX buried in a shipping container that got the crap kicked out of it while it was moved several thousand miles and the TV didn't get so much as a scratch. Other Home Depot moving boxes are poo poo, but this one was absolutely worth shelling out for.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Synecdoche is my favourite movie so that’s my favourite movie he’s scored but as for his favourite score I don’t know!!!! There’s so many good ones. His PTA ones own, and Synecdoche and Lady Bird. I don’t remember any of the original music from Eternal Sunshine. I guess I should rewatch it!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I like the concept of Synecdoche but watching it is the closest thing I've felt to feeling like I was doing homework by watching a movie and I've actually watched movies for homework before.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The remote detonator in Shipbreaker makes GPRS buzz :3:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh I didn't realise Deathverse was a PVP only game

RIP

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
This was my ps4 theme year round

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

someone went back up to the whiteboard and wrote ‘do you play as a pirate or as the boat?’ and development had to restart again.

grassy gnoll posted:

A couple of days ago, folks ITT were expressing fear about moving their fancy OLED TVs. Get you one of these in the relevant size: https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-Heavy-Duty-Large-Adjustable-TV-and-Picture-Moving-Box-with-Handles-1001018/203339256

I had an LG CX buried in a shipping container that got the crap kicked out of it while it was moved several thousand miles and the TV didn't get so much as a scratch. Other Home Depot moving boxes are poo poo, but this one was absolutely worth shelling out for.

That was me. Don’t have a Home Depot in my country but a big ‘tv moving box’ stuffed with moving blankets and cushions and the tv wrapped in a non-environmental friendly amount of packing wrap did the trick. Couple of fingerprints on the corners but I still love my wife regardless

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

0konner posted:

This was my ps4 theme year round

Lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bloodychill posted:

I like the concept of Synecdoche but watching it is the closest thing I've felt to feeling like I was doing homework by watching a movie and I've actually watched movies for homework before.
I watched it recently for the first time after hearing it compared to The Rehearsal (which I absolutely loved), and while I could see parallels between the two, I really wasn't that into Synecdoche, which made me feel crazy since I'd been hearing praise for it for over a decade.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

grassy gnoll posted:

For my last three TV's I've just kept the original packaging boxes and they work great.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Rageaholic posted:

I watched it recently for the first time after hearing it compared to The Rehearsal (which I absolutely loved), and while I could see parallels between the two, I really wasn't that into Synecdoche, which made me feel crazy since I'd been hearing praise for it for over a decade.

The Rehearsal is similar enough in concept that I said "hey this is like Synecdoche but actually fun to watch" in a group chat.

But then so is Adaptation which was created by the same guy as Synecdoche, Eternal Sunshine, and Being John Malkovich. If you haven't seen it, give it a watch. It's in Nick Cage's top 3 for sure.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I got this email from Sony after that tweet went out. Whoops!

Sammus fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 29, 2022

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Is there a single person who is excited for Skull and Bones? I'm more interested in the next AssCreed thing since it takes place in the middle east again and I don't even like that series. I can't remember an original IP by a AAA dev that had people less enthused in a long while.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm excited for every Ubisoft original

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

bop bop perano posted:

Listen bitch, i didn’t do that to casnorf, I simply bought him the game and didn’t say much more. I only do that when I *know* that someone will love something, and I know they’re planning on playing it so it’s less of me begging them and more just making a dumb joke about me being impatient. look at veeg, admittedly I bugged them for months about playing both outer wilds, but even moreso with echoes of the eye, because I knew that he would have the reaction that he did and it was amazing. And I guess I also nagged him about the last guardian too, but he also loved that!

As for bp and my nagging, that’s because BP (and veni really) basically got me back into video games, like, prior to late 2016, I had kinda stopped playing games when I started middle school, aside from super popular ones like fallout 3 or bioshock Infinite or portal 1 and 2. But one of the last games i played that I really fell in love with was shadow of the colossus either in 2005 or 2006, and the day they announced project Trico aka the last guardian, I absolutely couldn’t wait and I watched the trailer with the music from miller’s crossing like a thousand times. I even bought my parents ps3 off of them that they bought to watch blu rays and never used, and then when it came out I bought a ps4 just to play it. I only had TLG and uncharted 4, and I played TLG repeatedly, like 6-7 times until I had nearly every trophy except the bullshit ‘hear every hint’ one, and then I tried uncharted 4, and played for like 5 hours straight and it did nothing for me, probably because I was playing it right after TLG, a game that I’d been waiting like 8 years for that lived up to every expectation and more.

So anyways, I didn’t post much on SA before that, but I was excited about TLG and asked if there were any more ps4 games like TLG, and BP and veni were both like play Bloodborne just trust me. And I hated it at first and thought it was a sick joke, but then obviously it became one of my favorite games. But by playing those two games back to back, I fell in love with video games again, and literally since then, I’ve played an insane amount of brilliant games, thanks to this forum, or the ps4 thread specifically and BP and veni.

So I have a certain level of respect for BP for that (and Veni) and we also tend to enjoy similar games. But in addition to bp playing a single hour of outer wilds in December, then not playing it at all until like a week ago, he kept saying that it was ‘next’ on his list, and I was mostly trolling when I’d nag him to play it. But also I’m genuinely curious what he thinks of the game, both because I enjoy it so much and also because it’s unlike any other game I can think of.

Sorry that was a very cringe earnest post, but I can’t have esco busting my balls in public like this, this is the second time in a week !!

Edit: That was a bad snipe. I like a lot of games, but outer wilds and disco elysium for me are just like actual masterpieces, that go so far above and beyond any other game I’ve played that I can’t help but get excited about them and want friends to get the chance to experience as well. Is that so bad esco !! I played nier automata initially, in part because of how much the forums enjoyed it, but also because you had a 9S avatar that looked cool, and it’s one of my favorite games of all time!

You started middle school prior to 2016?!

Edit: oh I guess I did too nevermind misinterpreted that

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

The best thing about the ps5 ui is that it gives you a big splash screen for whatever game you have highlighted which is usually the game you played most recently, which is awesome imo cuz I always set my ps4 theme to whichever game I was currently playing provided that game had a theme

not in the us.

here we boot up to a huge splash ad of some rando nfl guy with a platinum grill and a rictus grin asking if we're as real as the streets

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

food for the furby loving bowgrils itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axkJPUVpjWU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

bloodychill posted:

Is there a single person who is excited for Skull and Bones? I'm more interested in the next AssCreed thing since it takes place in the middle east again and I don't even like that series. I can't remember an original IP by a AAA dev that had people less enthused in a long while.

It looked very neato in the beginning. When they showed it off in like 2017 or whatever lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bop bop perano posted:

Sorry that was a very cringe earnest post

:hmmyes:

:blush: :3:

lolling at skull and bones.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I remember thinking I'd keep an eye on Skull & Bones in case it ended up being Black Flag with more piratey stuff and less assassiny stuff, but that's when it was first announced. That's from, uhh, back when I kept a google doc to keep track of games I was interested in (imagine having disposable income!), and now that I'm looking at it again, Skull and Bones had a December 23, 2021 release date when I plopped it in the doc. Dang.

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What do people want out of a pirate game to begin with? I'm not entirely sure where people are getting let down to begin with.

I want it to be like Prince of Persia and that animated Sinbad movie. Put a giant gorgeous chaos Goddess in it.