Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

which channel is this?

https://youtube.com/c/VinceVenturella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Bottom Liner posted:

which channel is this?

Hobby Cheating / Vince Venturella

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Serperoth posted:

Terrible picture to come later, but at the shop today I made a bit of a start on those Prussians. Felt good about getting a feel for thinning and coverage, even if I couldn't keep fully within the lines. Ended up getting the drider, which I'm going to wash on the sprue before I drop in again. Probably tomorrow

I can host it elsewhere if needed, but this is after two hands of Dark Prussian Blue. The hats were already done (or at least the top surface), and it's too late to do anything about the sprue marks, so I'm focusing on what I'm doing on the plastic I have.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I forgot to add: the whole current "paint your minis using the SLAP CHOP method :c00l:" phenomenon amuses me, because Sonic Sledgehammer literally did a video about pretty much using that exact sort of technique to paint some Genestealer Cultists a long while back. He just didn't come up with a catchy name for clickbait titles when he did it.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I forgot to add: the whole current "paint your minis using the SLAP CHOP method :c00l:" phenomenon amuses me, because Sonic Sledgehammer literally did a video about pretty much using that exact sort of technique to paint some Genestealer Cultists a long while back. He just didn't come up with a catchy name for clickbait titles when he did it.

I looked up slap chop thinking it was something new and it seems to just be drybrush highlights and then go over with contrast or glaze which is how I taught my kids to paint years ago.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

kzin602 posted:

I looked up slap chop thinking it was something new and it seems to just be drybrush highlights and then go over with contrast or glaze which is how I taught my kids to paint years ago.

Yeah, it's literally the way Dana's "painting 101" teaches.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Drybrush then contrast is literally how I just did this guy today, only it was a brown/white gradient not black/white. I'm going to mess with the underpainting colors and see what I can come up with. Oh and for how much I listen to death metal, I never painted anything gory. Well, until now:

I made the blood splatters with still water effect, a dark red, and burnt umber ink mixed to taste, then flicked it on with a brush May have gone a little overboard on it but I wanted this guy to look like he came from an album cover

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 28, 2022

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I have an extremely low tolerance for YouTubers, anyone who does that shrieking "Hey guys, what's up, like subscribe and share!!!" can get in the bin.

Watchable ones are Midwinter Minis, MS Paints (quite charismatic and amusing), The Crown Of Command, and anything that's some middle aged bloke with a bad camera going through old lead. I could watch middle aged blokes with poor camera skills going through old lead for hours.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

So I have a question that's not quite miniatures painting, but very adjacent. I want a mini for our spelljammer campaign so that I can prime & paint it up and feel very fancy for having my character on the tabletop, but I'm having a hard time finding something suitable. My character is a Giff sailor (artificer) who uses a pistol, has a parrot on his shoulder, and runs around shirtless with tattoos. Basically trying to channel Maui from Moana vibes, except with pudge (con) instead of strength, and a hippo instead of Dwayne Johnson.

My friend has a filament & a resin printer, so I can have a custom mini printed if I can find one I like, and if I find the right base mini I can swap out guns/swords to get that detail right.

There are a fair number of Giff minis out there, but none that feel quite right - they're almost all clothed victorian english/steampunk minis & designs. Anyone have advice on where to find what I'm looking for?

e: also happy to be referred to a different thread if there's somewhere else I should post.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

So I have a question that's not quite miniatures painting, but very adjacent. I want a mini for our spelljammer campaign so that I can prime & paint it up and feel very fancy for having my character on the tabletop, but I'm having a hard time finding something suitable. My character is a Giff sailor (artificer) who uses a pistol, has a parrot on his shoulder, and runs around shirtless with tattoos. Basically trying to channel Maui from Moana vibes, except with pudge (con) instead of strength, and a hippo instead of Dwayne Johnson.

My friend has a filament & a resin printer, so I can have a custom mini printed if I can find one I like, and if I find the right base mini I can swap out guns/swords to get that detail right.

There are a fair number of Giff minis out there, but none that feel quite right - they're almost all clothed victorian english/steampunk minis & designs. Anyone have advice on where to find what I'm looking for?

e: also happy to be referred to a different thread if there's somewhere else I should post.
Heroforge is probably the way to go for something this specific. You can make pretty much any kind of character, and then buy the stl file for printing, or just buy a printed figure.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Arcturas posted:

Heroforge. Epic miniatures has a shirtless hippo warrior in myminifactory if your down to kitbash

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I was also going to suggest Hero Forge but they don’t seem to have a hippo man

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Toebone posted:

I was also going to suggest Hero Forge but they don’t seem to have a hippo man

Ya, I'm pretty disappointed and surprised to read and find out that they do not.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I just knocked over a closed pot of Yriel yellow and it opened up and spilled paint all over my floor. I think I'm just going to buy paint brands that come in dropper bottles from now on.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lucinice posted:

I just knocked over a closed pot of Yriel yellow and it opened up and spilled paint all over my floor. I think I'm just going to buy paint brands that come in dropper bottles from now on.

Then you'll get to have the fun of:

A) Squeezing too hard and blasting out a clog and a whole buncha paint.

or

B) The pressure building in the bottle enough to burst the top of the lid so when you shake it, it splatters all over.

Granted these are probably very rare failure modes.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

or

B) The pressure building in the bottle enough to burst the top of the lid so when you shake it, it splatters all over.

There is no escape from the pain

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

can't spell painting without pain

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

or

If you're squeezing and nothing comes out, you should probably dial it back :v:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah, I know that NOW :mad:

Also it was a wash so when it blew, it hit the shallow dish of my plastic palette and shot up dowsing the wall in what looked like diarrhea.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

w00tmonger posted:

Heroforge. Epic miniatures has a shirtless hippo warrior in myminifactory if your down to kitbash

Thanks Electric Hobo, w00tmonger, and Toebone, I hadn't heard of heroforge before.

We're fine with kitbashing, and I thought I'd browsed myminifactory but I'll take another look.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It’s been a while since we had a new thread title

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Instead of doing a black/white gradient on your undercoat before contrast, base the model in a really bright complimentary color then do midtone up for the drybrushing

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Abby done. Fun kit. Big upgrade from its last iteration.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjGzPofrSoR/

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Spanish Manlove posted:

Instead of doing a black/white gradient on your undercoat before contrast, base the model in a really bright complimentary color then do midtone up for the drybrushing

Neat. I am a big fan of this method, I like Vallejo German red brown air brush primer for yellow/orange/red minis. I haven't found a good wraithbone analogue, the desert tan primer is miserable to use, takes ages to get enough coverage to get the off white to really shine.

Ngl though looking on my phone, my first thought was why do you have a container of human teeth.

Two Headed Calf posted:

Abby done. Fun kit. Big upgrade from its last iteration.

What a nice young man.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I wanted something to weigh the bottles down for stability so I used a bunch of rocks :)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Little unrelated, but moonbreaker is finally in early access and has some cool mini painting mode built into it. Tried it out and made this guy.

Tabletop skirmish wargame, a bit like hearthstone. Really solid so far and scratches the wargame itch hard.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Huh I wonder who originated the pill bottle filled with rocks holder method. My boyfriend does it too, and I am currently borrowing one for my figure although I keep taking the cap off to tip up the figure to get under the wings.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Nothing about this thumbnail feels dishonest at all. Nope not one single thing. 🤦

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
was it that he photoshopped his biceps to be bigger in order to match henry cavills?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Not done, but proof I'm at least trying to get back to this. Most presentable of what's on my work table currently. The tacticals just have basecoat + wash, and honestly I might just leave them at that as "good enough".

Side question: is there a better Warplock Bronze out there that's not Vallejo Metal Color? (I brush metallics, and VMC has horrid flow for anything other than the first layer of the first color you put on a mini.) Been recommended Scale 75 Decayed Metal, just feeling out options.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Indolent Bastard posted:

Nothing about this thumbnail feels dishonest at all. Nope not one single thing. 🤦

He has like 3 other videos with that same title but minus Henry cavil lmao

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I get that it's a marketing stunt for the series but for the amount he's paid on shipping and import taxes by now Squidmar could have just loving bought the titan and been done with it.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

I get that it's a marketing stunt for the series but for the amount he's paid on shipping and import taxes by now Squidmar could have just loving bought the titan and been done with it.

As a youtuber he can probably write all that off as a business expense or something.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

What model is that?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

good jovi posted:

What model is that?

Tyrant Siege Terminator built with a standard Cataphractii + a Havoc launcher from the vehicle upgrade sprue. 30k unique Iron Warriors unit.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Lucinice posted:

As a youtuber he can probably write all that off as a business expense or something.

100% that's all expenses (well assuming his euro taxes are even vaguely the same as in america).

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

100% that's all expenses (well assuming his euro taxes are even vaguely the same as in america).

Writing off a business expense doesn't make it free, though, it just effectively discounts it by your marginal tax rate.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Muir posted:

Writing off a business expense doesn't make it free, though, it just effectively discounts it by your marginal tax rate.

Correct but presumably he makes money from each video he releases doing whatever thing he did so instead of one video where he buys the expensive model and gets one video worth of ad revenue it sounds like he got to make multiple videos of this trading up process and gets ad revenue from each one?

If that's not the case and it's all in one video then yeah probably smarter to just buy the big model at the start.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

Correct but presumably he makes money from each video he releases doing whatever thing he did so instead of one video where he buys the expensive model and gets one video worth of ad revenue it sounds like he got to make multiple videos of this trading up process and gets ad revenue from each one?

If that's not the case and it's all in one video then yeah probably smarter to just buy the big model at the start.

It shouldn't matter tax-wise whether the expenses were for one video or multiple videos. Income and expenses are just year by year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Muir posted:

It shouldn't matter tax-wise whether the expenses were for one video or multiple videos. Income and expenses are just year by year.

What I mean is, if purposely doing some long drawn out model trading allows you to make more videos than you otherwise would have so therefore you get more ad revenue, then the possible higher expense of trading/shipping tons of minis versus just buying the big model, could be worth it.

For an example:

1. Make a single video, 2022 ad revenue of $1000 [model cost $300]
2. Make 5 videos, 2022 ad revenue of $5000 [trading models around cost $600]
(edit decided to add another option)
3. Make a single video but it's about trading models and that makes it more interesting so you get double your normal ad revenue $2000 [trading cost still $600] and the net result is a wash between 1 and 3.

net profit from #2 is greater than #1

this doesn't get into time to create the content and do the trading and how many videos can you publish before you are saturating your target audience and on and on and on, maybe in the end it was a bad business decision by Squidmar, depends on a lot of factors.