Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

naturally the colorist didn't even bother about the hole in the bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Hmmmm...

The sensible guess at what he's trying to do here is make a highly-detailed model of the drawing, suitable for making a mold so that they can melt down the murder weapon and cast it into a child's toy. It's an involved process, and definitely not something that can be accomplished in a single all-nighter, but a suitable fantasy from a writer whose solution to an ICE storyline is BILL CLINTON TO THE RESCUE!

Anyway, that's the sensible guess.

So let's see what Batty comes up with instead.

Crankshaft

Every once in awhile, Mutts reminds me of why I haven't given up on Mutts.

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 3, 1934)

Peanuts (October 1, 1975)

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (April 29, 1939)

Out Our Way (December 14-16, 1939)

The first Yuletide-themed panel of the 1939 season. I only point this out because, thanks to those goddamn Claritin ads making "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" a year-round thing, Christmas creep has felt especially bad this year.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 28, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Hmmmm...

The sensible guess at what he's trying to do here is make a highly-detailed model of the drawing, suitable for making a mold to melt down the murder weapon and cast it into a child's toy. It's an involved process, and definitely not something that can be accomplished in a single all-nighter.

But like I said, it's the sensible guess.

If my dad had been gunned down, I would not want to have anything to do with the murder weapon. I would not want to see it or be anywhere near it. The cheery way that they're treating this gun is among the more bizarre choices Batiuk has made in his storytelling (at least to me).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (October 1, 1975)

At first I thought that was Peppermint Patty and was a bit confused, since it's well-established she doesn't have a mom. (I think the long-after-the-fact colorist DID think it was her, and so gave her the usual Peppermint Patty hair and shirt colors.)

Bizarro

The Family Circus

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

"drat Millennials not knowing about manual transmission :freep:"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The shock reveal of Angel Face! Who was, er, already revealed several updates ago.

On a sidenote, I was reading the Wikipedia entry for the series, and following the recent death of Francois Corteggiani, who took charge following Giraud's own death, it's been updated with a lot of behind-the-scenes politics that I suspect wouldn't have been put online earlier (especially about Colin Wilson's departure from Young Blueberry). Don't know how much is true and how much is axe-grinding, but it's an interesting read.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"drat Millennials not knowing about manual transmission :freep:"

I believe the foreveryoung family circus children are zoomers now.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: The Silvery Moon

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple Website

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I believe the foreveryoung family circus children are zoomers now.

They're about five years old, so they'd be whatever generation comes after Z, the one that's being born now.

e: Apparently it's being provisionally called Alpha, I guess we're just doing it like when the list of hurricane names runs out.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Oh, I know. I was poking fun at Boomers who think that people under 40 are mystified by driving a stick.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

I had to double check that this wasn't an edit, and that there is actually a Gil Thorp character named Kaz who wears sunglasses and has a blonde mullet.

Hell, I even knew Kaz was a Gil Thorp character (thanks, Comics Curmudgeon) and I still wasn't sure it wasn't an edit.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

An opportunity to draw Cerberus with three asses was just enormously whiffed here.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

EasyEW posted:

Hmmmm...

The sensible guess at what he's trying to do here is make a highly-detailed model of the drawing, suitable for making a mold so that they can melt down the murder weapon and cast it into a child's toy. It's an involved process, and definitely not something that can be accomplished in a single all-nighter, but a suitable fantasy from a writer whose solution to an ICE storyline is BILL CLINTON TO THE RESCUE!

I'm impressed that What's-his-name can make out whatever the hell that drawing is well enough to sculpt it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

How can you hypnotize them unseen??

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I think what bugs me about Batiuk's stuff, even more than the loving awful plots, is that the only face he's capable of drawing is "punchable smugness."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

L-Innsikt

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeah "lets use my father's murder weapon as raw material for a childs gift" is some peak Batiuk insanity.

Jucika "484 - Jucika And The Train"

"485 - Jucika And The Guard"

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

How can you hypnotize them unseen??

It could be the voice...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

"...and later, we're all driving up to his Cabin!"

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I'm impressed that What's-his-name can make out whatever the hell that drawing is well enough to sculpt it.

Yeah for as dumb as this whole "Let's recast a murder weapon into a toy for my child" thing is, it's the ugly blob on the page that keeps making me furrow my brow and rub my temples.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Payndz posted:

The shock reveal of Angel Face! Who was, er, already revealed several updates ago.

On a sidenote, I was reading the Wikipedia entry for the series, and following the recent death of Francois Corteggiani, who took charge following Giraud's own death, it's been updated with a lot of behind-the-scenes politics that I suspect wouldn't have been put online earlier (especially about Colin Wilson's departure from Young Blueberry). Don't know how much is true and how much is axe-grinding, but it's an interesting read.

Well, we the readers got the first shock, now Blueberry needed one as well!

As for the behind-the-scenes, thanks for the heads-up. I should give it a peruse myself...

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Guy Fawkes posted:

It could be the voice...

True Mandrake fans (Mandrakeheads) know that he can't hypnotize people if he's blindfolded or it's dark or whatever is the excuse that week.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kennel posted:

True Mandrake fans (Mandrakeheads)

Fandrakes, surely

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (August 13-18, 1984)

Bullwinkle

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

One day that child will be Old Enough and then his parents will sit him down and say, "Remember that toy you played with as a kid? The one you loved for years and years and years and built so many beautiful memories around? Your favorite toy in the whole world? THAT TOY KILLED YOUR GRAMPY. YOU WERE PLAYING WITH GRAMPY'S MURDER GUN THE WHOLE TIME AND YOU loving LOVED IT, YOU TWISTED LITTLE FREAK."

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 28, 2022

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Jeremy's looking extra fuzzy today.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Chako is on a roll:

Cthulhu and Girl

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Oh God drat It Marriage poo poo

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Haifisch posted:

Jeremy's looking extra fuzzy today.

Puberty hit us all differently

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Bad Suki

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

EasyEW posted:

Hmmmm...

Anyway, that's the sensible guess.

Given that Tommy B seems to have internalized TRAGEDY = ATTENTION, I'm really hoping genius over there isn't just molding & painting clay around said murder weapon, so that kiddo starts playing with it and it's now involved in 2 murders (well, murder and manslaughter. Don't think you can charge an 8 year old with murder, especially with lack of intent)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Holbrook is a hack and a lot of his poo poo is dumb, and that's not how Silkworms woooork, but that bit at least is neat to me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the murder gun gets melted down and recast into a metal rocket toy, but somehow the bullet, barrel and firing mechanism are still intact

seventeen years later it goes off without warning

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

Fandrakes, surely

or possibly Magicionados

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Holbrook is a hack and a lot of his poo poo is dumb, and that's not how Silkworms woooork, but that bit at least is neat to me.

i think that him establishing that people can't generally be trusted to not eat their tailor as their clothes are being worked on brings into question once more how this society functions at all

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

ˇAragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey service resumes

[translator's note: the word used for 'stray' here has a specific connotation meaning 'bad' cats who steal food from homes rather than simply being homeless]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True August 15, 1919

And He Did! September 2, 1919

Cat Tales July 31, 1925

Oaky Doaks January 21, 1937

Mopsy April 7, 1938

Sweatin’ It Out August 30, 1945