Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Hey someone remind me. Isn’t a lot of areas like Ft Myers built on limestone and having a bunch of sea water gushing around big apartment buildings possibly bad for stability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Hey someone remind me. Isn’t a lot of areas like Ft Myers built on limestone and having a bunch of sea water gushing around big apartment buildings possibly bad for stability?

like the entire southern third of the state is built on this, yes

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

Sheriff Marceno said that his department was receiving lots of 911 calls and that hundreds of deputies were waiting to help as soon as the wind fell to a safe level. “The second it goes under 45 m.p.h., we get back out there,” he said.

lmao these loving babies
I've gone skiing in higher winds than that

it's not that the wind is blowin' it's what the wind is blowin'

*gets hit by a stop sign*

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Dr. VooDoo posted:

while this is true, have you considered that these buildings are big enough that our monkey brains think they're permanent landscape fixtures and also that if we believe hard enough things come true

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

my cat is norris posted:

i'm sorry for the non weather sidebar about this poo poo but you guys just don't understand how rare it is to run into another lifetime sommelier

please go rent Nightmare PTA Moms if you've not seen it, and while you're giving more money to lifetime please tell them to put back into rotation that one movie about the twin brothers where one is British and the other isn't and the British one is really bad at impersonating his brother

*ahem*

SURE IS WET IN FLORIDA TODAY

I will check it out, thank you! the last couple I remember really enjoying were Soccer Mom Madam (a comfortable jacuzzi of babbling insane camp) and Deadly Mile High Club (an important movie about an important hat)

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Dr. VooDoo posted:

don't worry it's replenishing the water table.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Complications posted:

while this is true, have you considered that these buildings are big enough that our monkey brains think they're permanent landscape fixtures and also that if we believe hard enough things come true

I’m sure they’ll be fine. the people that live there are the main characters. just like the people on Twitter asking for helicopters to be sent to their now underwater house.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Couldn't happen to a better town.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/mikeseidel/status/1575274365410746373
https://twitter.com/JoeMurgo/status/1575310464841650180

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeehaw junction

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeehaw junction

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Je suis yeehaw junctions

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

Couldn't happen to a better town.

Wash the rich out to sea, as Marx intended.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

1stGear posted:

Pulling for AVNI and telling SirPablo to shut the gently caress up in advance

It's a junk model.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol it’s still spinning around central Florida with category 2 strength and it’s dark now and I assume no one has been rescued

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i remain mortified by how traditional hydrological considerations like permeability and runoff are just sorta handwaveable south of I dunno Sebring because PERMEABLE TO WHERE

When X inches of rain just means how far above the ground the water will saturate

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Did we solve the modeling crisis?

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Stereotype posted:

lol it’s still spinning around central Florida with category 2 strength and it’s dark now and I assume no one has been rescued
I have very little sympathy for the adults who decided to die there but ffs their kids don't deserve this poo poo

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

so how much strength is it gonna pick up again when it hits the Atlantic?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Stereotype posted:

cajun navy has been doing stuff so at least some people probably have been

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

This one lucky sonofabitch

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

*snaps open a sharpie*

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Wasn't it Ivan that pulled a doughnut over florida in like 2004? Maybe Ian will live up to his big brother.

edit: lol it was

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Do imgur videos embed right? good times south of orlando.

https://imgur.com/gEcskl6

nope but those gusts are haulin

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

HonorableTB posted:

This show sounds cool as gently caress what is it

Doomsday: 10 Ways the World Will End. From the History Channel, because ~why not~. Here's the "Earth Swallowed by a Black Hole" episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bgxEoyRz6E

I'd assume the other episodes are there, too.

And here's the "oh hey, something the size of Neptune is barreling towards us, SELFIE TIME" episode, advanced to that point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ZWGLDqEWU&t=490s

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 06:04 on Sep 29, 2022

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

bawfuls posted:

so how much strength is it gonna pick up again when it hits the Atlantic?

the atlantic side is cooler than the gulf, it's supposed to lose strength

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Harik posted:

Do imgur videos embed right? good times south of orlando.

https://imgur.com/gEcskl6

nope but those gusts are haulin

They work if you get the direct link to the video
https://i.imgur.com/gEcskl6.mp4

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
me, someone that lives almost on the atlantic, praying next to my bed: hurricane ian, please grant me this wish and gently caress the entire east coast of the US up. ty god bless

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

More than a thousand new posts, I wonder what it could b

:stonk:

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

The earth is cleansing itself of mcmansions.
They get a pretty serious event like this along the east coast EVERY YEAR and i've seen so many videos of houses pealing apart, flying into the air, floating off their foundation like don't change your building codes or anything.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeehaw junction

It's basically like if a Buckee's was always on a map for some reason

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I'm hoping Cape Coral is now Coral Cove

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

There's a lot of snapchat videos in that area of houses getting flooded but I'm sure it'll all be bailed out

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

There's a lot of snapchat videos in that area of houses getting flooded but I'm sure it'll all be bailed out

lol if that place survives

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Power was flickering in Orlando but now steady. Sister's is already out.

Complications posted:

have you considered that these buildings are big enough that our monkey brains think they're permanent landscape fixtures and also that if we believe hard enough things come true

platzapS has issued a correction as of 07:18 on Sep 29, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Those Floridians should've moved to climate-proof Duluth

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
poo poo

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1575345916466315265?s=20&t=wJAOl4ahx_gbQ-9gGyw1jQ

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/SevereStudios/status/1575323012336914432 surgecam 9 footage

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

The frogs outside are either terrified or ecstatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Vox Nihili posted:

think of all the beautiful beachfront property that will be going onto the market soon

also lol apparently when they interview people who don't want to evacuate, one of the most common reasons isn't anything reasonable like "we have family members who can't make the trip" or "we don't have enough money to leave," but rather "someone might steal my stuff while i'm gone." american brains are so hosed up