Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (October 26-28, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (January 22-24, 1920; spoilered for the usual reasons)

Dok's "So The Prisoner Exchange Didn't Go Well?" Duck (May 17, 1914)

Little Lefty (June 3-5, 1937)

Blondie From Zero (November 24-26, 1932)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

"...and later, we're all driving up to his Cabin!"

Yeah for as dumb as this whole "Let's recast a murder weapon into a toy for my child" thing is, it's the ugly blob on the page that keeps making me furrow my brow and rub my temples.

Imagine what they could have some with the autopsy photos.

Make a mural? A coloring book?

I mean, maybe this is Batiuk going senile.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

For a good three minutes here, I thought Lindesfarne was suggesting that they let their friends and family thunderdome it out in the reception hall before the wedding.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

They showed up with a youtuber (sorry, I mean 'bikboker'), a director, and a reporter. Did she not expect questions?

Mary Worth

The Phantom

"'Not now, please, I am just a mortal man!' said Mozz, as he pushed away the supermodels and got out of the bed where he had just spent 12 intensely hot hours. As he put on his robe, his massive manhood swayed pendulously. Soon he was back to work on his scientific experiments. Suddenly, the phone rang. He answered. It was the Phantom...again. He needed his help once more. 'Dammit!' thought Mozz, 'I guess cold fusion will have to wait. Can't this guy do anything right?'"

Pooch Cafe

Pray for Mojo.

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I hope the next two years of Phantom is just Diana reading through the same story we just finished.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: The mastermind is revealed! (Did any of you guess correctly?), or Blueberry's reserves get restless, or Mike relies on the ol' reliable strategy of letting people who love the sound of their voice talk...

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mycatscrimes posted:

I hope the next two years of Phantom is just Diana reading through the same story we just finished.

Rule #1 of writing: Show them telling.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

mycatscrimes posted:

It just occurred to me: what if Mozz wrote down something different from what he told Phantom?

vv: yeah, that too

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 29, 2022

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

davidspackage posted:

It just occurred to me: what if Mozz wrote down something different from what he told Phantom?

And didn't the phantom just hid that same book in a grave? How did Mozz get it - or is trying to hide something from a man with the gift of prophecy a waste of time?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (October 22, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

davidspackage posted:

"If the Ghost Who Walks calls out my name at an intimate moment..."

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Intense appreciation for Bullwinkle.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Bongo Bill posted:

Thank you :)

Speaking of which...
Arnold (August 20-25, 1984)

Bullwinkle

As I mentioned earlier, this wouldn't be the last time Caroline Kennedy was featured in a newspaper strip

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ah yes Foob, what an awful child, participating in a strike??? Kill him, punish the disobedient child!

Demons of Baseball is so good, the art so emotive. :allears:

And... whew, Mark Trail. Bad writing, that panel one 180 degree head turn, that panel two asymmetrical arms and scribble wrist. Is the colorist in full revolt now? Tiger Lady just growing random skin blotches, the entire camera is sky blue now? Hahahaha, what a joke.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 9/28/02

Brenda Starr 7/18-20/49

Smokey Stover 5/14/50

Everyday Movies 8/13/35

"He gets up an hour earlier every morning so he can hog the hammock all day."

I'm fascinated by that woman's outfit -- a man's shirt and pants with suspenders and tie, heels, headband, sunglasses, parasol. I guess people dressed really casually on vacation at camp in the 30s?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey service resumes

[translator's note: the word used for 'stray' here has a specific connotation meaning 'bad' cats who steal food from homes rather than simply being homeless]

Sazae-san reference?

(the only thing I know about that is that the intro has a cat with fish)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

[pinches the bridge of my nose] Alright I guess it's my turn to ask questions about this dogshit comic. First is why does this dude need an artificial tail? Second is why doesn't your god queen science tyrant just completely transform you into a form that is not hindered in that way? She's god and genetics is magic, why did he transform into something incomplete and need a prosthetic.

e: nevermind I backread. Morphic resonance with his initial form because he lost his tail and he was assigned mouse at birth. Whatever. gently caress you, gently caress the lot of you, I loving hate Safe Havens, that doesn't make any god drat sense, your central figure is a loving god and the transitive importance between tails in these forms is not equal. gently caress.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 29, 2022

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 05, 1953)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

You love to see memes in the funny pages

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Slammy posted:

So It Seems October 13, 1952

The father hopes his child will be a male to crush rivals and hate wives with him. He fears that there may be more than one child, which may cause him to lose income and attention from his wife at home.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

The child has failed the father by being heard and not seen, embarrassing him to his wife and peers, and now he wishes the child's death.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Kennel posted:

Sazae-san reference?

(the only thing I know about that is that the intro has a cat with fish)

I think Japan has enough feral cats, and enough fish markets, that a rude cat carrying a fish is drawn from life, not just an old comic strip.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: Bad Suki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wmHVHTCKzw

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Absolutely stoked to read "feet don't fail me now" in the baseball comic.

Bongo Bill posted:

Seriously, every panel is a treasure. Mad appreciation for bringing it forward, Mister Beeg.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I'm just in love with this panel. Something about rocky's righteous fury just comes out so well.

Also 100% reading this with the voices going in my head.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Hostile V posted:

[pinches the bridge of my nose] Alright I guess it's my turn to ask questions about this dogshit comic. First is why does this dude need an artificial tail? Second is why doesn't your god queen science tyrant just completely transform you into a form that is not hindered in that way? She's god and genetics is magic, why did he transform into something incomplete and need a prosthetic.

e: nevermind I backread. Morphic resonance with his initial form because he lost his tail and he was assigned mouse at birth. Whatever. gently caress you, gently caress the lot of you, I loving hate Safe Havens, that doesn't make any god drat sense, your central figure is a loving god and the transitive importance between tails in these forms is not equal. gently caress.

I just assume it means that he has a sad Hank Hill rear end while human- no tail, no rear end. It makes as much sense as anything Holbrook writes :shrug: Let's disregard that even if he lost his tail, if he was *born* with one then Science Lady has no reason other than laziness not to just have him regrow the drat thing. It's still encoded in his DNA. A mouse with its tail removed will not have tailless children.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

In a twist, the dad will be upset that Mike wasn't more aggressive with the interviewer to get his talking points out there.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Oct 31, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 20-21, 1992)

Big Nate

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

I wasn't going to post this Curtis rerun but man it's such a good example of how Billingsley just straight-up doesn't want to make jokes. Like... this is nothing. But the cartooning is so good! Especially that third panel!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I just assume it means that he has a sad Hank Hill rear end while human- no tail, no rear end. It makes as much sense as anything Holbrook writes :shrug: Let's disregard that even if he lost his tail, if he was *born* with one then Science Lady has no reason other than laziness not to just have him regrow the drat thing. It's still encoded in his DNA. A mouse with its tail removed will not have tailless children.

I do wonder if Holbrook is writing the DNA Wizard from a Lamarckian viewpoint.

I'm glad that Carla is getting panel time in this arc! She's a fun foil to both Miles and Kevin.

Also echoing appreciation for Rocky and Bullwinkle. It's really funny and well-paced!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: The Silvery Moon Spoiler'd for a post-coital Maggie

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple Website

John Allison posted:

Is today’s comic safe for work? I think it is but it’s the sort of comic I never run on a Friday because it’s definitely too hot to be up on a Sunday.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget if this was mentioned before but did the guy behind the Bullwinkle comic also work on the show out of curiosity? Mostly because the writing and humor are pretty much spot on

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Larryb posted:

I forget if this was mentioned before but did the guy behind the Bullwinkle comic also work on the show out of curiosity? Mostly because the writing and humor are pretty much spot on

He didn't work on the show, although Bill Scott, head writer/voice of Bullwinkle, praised the comic in later interviews.

Al Kilgore did work on "Underdog", though, which was produced by the sister company of the Bullwinkle studio. (How many people thought "Bullwinkle" and "Underdog" were from the same producer because of the animation style?)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mister Beeg posted:

He didn't work on the show, although Bill Scott, head writer/voice of Bullwinkle, praised the comic in later interviews.

Al Kilgore did work on "Underdog", though, which was produced by the sister company of the Bullwinkle studio. (How many people thought "Bullwinkle" and "Underdog" were from the same producer because of the animation style?)

Guilty

Also come to think of it, those two were probably some of the first serialized western cartoons on TV for that matter (a large chunk of them mostly consisted of multi-part arcs)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 29, 2022

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Larryb posted:

Guilty

Also come to think of it, those two were probably some of the first serialized cartoons on TV for that matter (a large chunk of them mostly consisted of multi-part arcs)

The very first TV cartoon ever made, "Crusader Rabbit", was serialized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3hHQvkUhJo

In fact, there's a strong Bullwinkle connection; "Crusader" and "Bullwinkle" were both produced by Jay Ward.

A lot of early TV cartoons were serialized, although 'Bullwinkle" and 'Underdog" are probably the best known examples from the era.

EDIT: If anyone's looking for something to read, I highly recommend The Moose That Roared, which chronicles the history of Bullwinkle and Jay Ward's animation empire in general. You can get it on Amazon

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 29, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
The Bullwinkle comic is really neat. The only thing that jumps out at me is that it's not consistent in emulating Boris and Natasha's speech patterns from the cartoon.

Mister Beeg posted:

The very first TV cartoon ever made, "Crusader Rabbit", was serialized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3hHQvkUhJo

In fact, there's a strong Bullwinkle connection; "Crusader" and "Bullwinkle" were both produced by Jay Ward.

It wouldn't surprise me if Crusader Rabbit influenced the look of Calvin and Hobbes.

https://atomicrobotcomics.patternbyetsy.com/post/862825751220/retro-saturday-morning-crusader-rabbit