Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Though be careful, this is apparently not 100% - I just found out the Dell MD1400 somehow manages to not support SATA disks.
e: According to the internet. I've got one I'm not actively using yet, so I can throw a SATA disk in it and see what happens.
Then Dell deliberately locked it out of the firmware, which would be entirely on-brand for the company that's in the past locked some of their SAS HBAs to only work with their branded harddisks they get from ODMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

fletcher posted:

Ideally the drives need to be replaced after 4-5 years since once you get that far in, failure rates become higher.

Fail rate doesn't really start to climb until the 5th year:

Klyith posted:

Going by this it seems like replacing after just 4 years is over-cautious.

So 5 years = "I am paranoid about my data & want to replace before failure"
6 years = "they're mirrored, I trust redundancy"
7+ years = "DEATH IS CERTAIN, everything is backed up anyways"

And that's not even touching on how HDDs probably last longer in a personal PC/NAS situation than enterprise.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Then Dell deliberately locked it out of the firmware, which would be entirely on-brand for the company that's in the past locked some of their SAS HBAs to only work with their branded harddisks they get from ODMs.

Sounds like all the big old players, really - I'd barely be surprised if a HPE server refused to boot if you used a non-HPE USB stick.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Klyith posted:

Fail rate doesn't really start to climb until the 5th year:

This graph means: start looking for drive deals after about 4 years, then buy when convenient. Running raid6/raidz2 and having backups will help for peace of mind.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I would also question if it's all SATA disks or just some.

I have a NetApp DS4246 and it plays perfectly happily with most SATA disks, except for the batch of 3TB WD30EFRX Reds I had. Those drives behaved so badly that they would cause other drives to fault out of ZFS pools any time the 3TB drives had any workload.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have a NetApp DS4246 and it plays perfectly happily with most SATA disks, except for the batch of 3TB WD30EFRX Reds I had. Those drives behaved so badly that they would cause other drives to fault out of ZFS pools any time the 3TB drives had any workload.
You're absolutely got a point, but that's a Fun firmware issue.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's at least two different Dell representatives and a random guy on reddit who claim it only supports SAS. If it's really the case, I'd love to be in a position to demand a non-dodgy answer as to why.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Yeah that's the kinda poo poo I was worried about.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You're absolutely got a point, but that's a Fun firmware issue.

Oh yeah, it was obnoxious / borderline frightening trying to figure out why it seemed like I was having all sorts of drives die.

Computer viking posted:

There's at least two different Dell representatives and a random guy on reddit who claim it only supports SAS. If it's really the case, I'd love to be in a position to demand a non-dodgy answer as to why.

The first two responses read like canned "if we didn't sell it to you we won't support it" responses, but if someone has actually tried SATA drives and they haven't shown up, then the only answer I can think of is what BSD already suggested: Dell specifically blocked SATA drives in firmware. Other Dell-branded enclosures (the Dell/Compellent ones that are just rebranded Xyratex, who also makes the Netapp enclosures and a few others) don't have that issue.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Any nas-friendly cases out there that I should look at over the node 804? Really want to update my i5-2500k unraid and have an 8700k system sitting idle.. Its case is too small, and would rather just swap the 8700k into a new case to minimize downtime and a quick switchover.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

priznat posted:

Any nas-friendly cases out there that I should look at over the node 804? Really want to update my i5-2500k unraid and have an 8700k system sitting idle.. Its case is too small, and would rather just swap the 8700k into a new case to minimize downtime and a quick switchover.

Related, is there a node 804ish case that will take a full atx motherboard?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm in a somewhat similar situation where I have an unused 9700k + mb that I am considering using instead of my usb port frying Gigabyte GA-7PESH2. Is there a site or anyone know what the performance differences would be going from 2 Xeon E5-2630L and 128gb ECC ram to a 9700k w/ 32gb ddr4 3200? This is an Unraid server, primary use is as a Plex server but also have a dozen or so docker apps and occasional VM usage. I know losing ECC memory isn't ideal, but it's almost entirely easily replaceable media files.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

priznat posted:

FWIW - I did a build with a Node 804 recently and am really happy with it. Airflow is great.

Hardest thing for me was finding a micro ATX server grade board that supported the Xeon processor I wanted to use with ECC ram.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

rufius posted:

FWIW - I did a build with a Node 804 recently and am really happy with it. Airflow is great.

Hardest thing for me was finding a micro ATX server grade board that supported the Xeon processor I wanted to use with ECC ram.

What'd you end up with? Supermicro? Asrock Rack?

I have a consumer based board without ECC but it is mATX.. Just has a large noctua heatsink so hopefully that will fit in the 804 ok, will check with pcpartpicker first.

I'm debating trolling ebay for supermicro tower cases with hot swap bays but that may just be too large and ugly and shipping would be $$$

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Can you plug a U.2 consumer drive (eg Optane U.2) into a standard HDD-style SAS card (eg LSI 9201-8i/9207-8i)? Or, is there some feature name on the newer cards that enables this support?

If you can attach an Optane U.2 like this, does that mean you can attach other NVMe devices across SAS like m.2 with a passive riser card on the other end to adapt the form factors?

Or is this back to "physical vs protocol", and U.2 is the physical and it can carry either SAS or NVMe protocols (like SATA vs SAS), meaning you'd need "SAS NVMe" of some kind?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 30, 2022

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

priznat posted:

I have a consumer based board without ECC but it is mATX.. Just has a large noctua heatsink so hopefully that will fit in the 804 ok, will check with pcpartpicker first.

I'm debating trolling ebay for supermicro tower cases with hot swap bays but that may just be too large and ugly and shipping would be $$$

Gigabyte C246M-WU4 - at the time I bought, there were none to be found anywhere. I ended up buying an open-box board on Amazon for it.

Put a Xeon E-2176G in it and crucial low-pro memory, maxed out to the full 128GB.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can you plug a U.2 consumer drive (eg Optane U.2) into a standard HDD-style SAS card (eg LSI 9201-8i/9207-8i)? Or, is there some feature name on the newer cards that enables this support?

If you can attach an Optane U.2 like this, does that mean you can attach other NVMe devices across SAS like that with a passive riser card on the other end to adapt the form factors?

Or is this back to "physical vs protocol", and U.2 is the physical and it can carry either SAS or NVMe protocols (like SATA vs SAS), meaning you'd need "SAS NVMe" of some kind?

If I’m understanding your question right, yes, you answered with your last graf. You need a nvme capable controller. The newest controllers can do this; I believe LSI calls theirs “tri mode.”

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

priznat posted:

I'm using https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Workstation/P10S-M-WS/ in the Node. But it's an older Xeon(R) E3-1225 v6. Been really happy with the Node 804 for years now

Cantide fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 30, 2022

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Building a new NAS in the infamous Jonsbo N1 case but as you can see, I need to work on the lengths of the SATA cables... :dumbbravo:
Going for a low power usage so trying with a Intel Core i3-9100T and Asrock H370M-ITX board. Just waiting for my new 15cm cables to be delivered.
Otherwise it all seems good so far and will be better once its all cabled managed.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh yeah, it was obnoxious / borderline frightening trying to figure out why it seemed like I was having all sorts of drives die.

The first two responses read like canned "if we didn't sell it to you we won't support it" responses, but if someone has actually tried SATA drives and they haven't shown up, then the only answer I can think of is what BSD already suggested: Dell specifically blocked SATA drives in firmware. Other Dell-branded enclosures (the Dell/Compellent ones that are just rebranded Xyratex, who also makes the Netapp enclosures and a few others) don't have that issue.

Just out of curiosity I found a Dell branded 2TB SATA drive and plugged it into the MD1400, and it's completely dead - no lights, and when I checked the device properties on the controller at boot (a plain non-Dell LSI 9400-16e) it lists all the SAS disks but treats the slot with the SATA drive as empty.

Not 100% conclusive, there is the off chance that the drive randomly died while on a shelf here ... but I'm inclined to believe that they have indeed decided to completely disable SATA. Which is a baffling choice, honestly.

(At least I had the dumb luck foresight to only buy SAS drives for it.)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What brands are the best personal NAS chassis these days? I appreciate it might be asked frequently but the OP is apparently over a decade old.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

What brands are the best personal NAS chassis these days? I appreciate it might be asked frequently but the OP is apparently over a decade old.

Like as in building your own? The Node brand is generally well regarded. If you want a lot of disks, the Node 804 is a good one - easy to work in, well designed for routing cable etc.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Computer viking posted:

Not 100% conclusive, there is the off chance that the drive randomly died while on a shelf here ... but I'm inclined to believe that they have indeed decided to completely disable SATA. Which is a baffling choice, honestly.

(At least I had the dumb luck foresight to only buy SAS drives for it.)

Easy enough to check and see if the drive shows any signs of life with anything else (such as a USB-SATA adapter) but I think you and that Reddit poster must be right... they went to extra effort to block SATA drives. Impressive and awful.

At least if you're buying used drives, SAS drives seem to be cheaper $/GB because you aren't competing with everyone who can only use SATA in their setup.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
is 16TB for $250 about as good as drives have been recently? I didn't see much better on provantage/etc either.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Would a comparable to hgst ultrastar be the wd gold at this point?

I have a few 6TB ultrastars and may want to get some more 6TB drives to add some capacity. The red pro 6TBs seem pretty good price these days, I probably don’t need the 7200rpm.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Easy enough to check and see if the drive shows any signs of life with anything else (such as a USB-SATA adapter) but I think you and that Reddit poster must be right... they went to extra effort to block SATA drives. Impressive and awful.

At least if you're buying used drives, SAS drives seem to be cheaper $/GB because you aren't competing with everyone who can only use SATA in their setup.

Or change the sled and put it directly in the server, or stuff it in a workstation - it would indeed be easy to test. But it was 16:30, I felt like I had a fever coming on, and I wanted to go home. :)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

priznat posted:

Would a comparable to hgst ultrastar be the wd gold at this point?

I have a few 6TB ultrastars and may want to get some more 6TB drives to add some capacity. The red pro 6TBs seem pretty good price these days, I probably don’t need the 7200rpm.

How many of those do you have, and how many hours have you put on them?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

rufius posted:

Like as in building your own? The Node brand is generally well regarded. If you want a lot of disks, the Node 804 is a good one - easy to work in, well designed for routing cable etc.

Well also pre-built - I'll be honest I am pretty lazy and would like to just put the disks in myself. The Node one does look good for any ground-up options in future though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wibla posted:

How many of those do you have, and how many hours have you put on them?

I have 4, and they’re around 38k hours I think (about 4 years)

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Well also pre-built - I'll be honest I am pretty lazy and would like to just put the disks in myself. The Node one does look good for any ground-up options in future though.

The TrueNAS builds seem nice but are pricey for what they are. If you need to transcode, better to build your own IMO.

I think Synology is well regarded these days though I had a bad experience a long time ago. That should not discourage you though.

Before building mine, I had a QNAP TVS-471. I liked it well enough but I would suggest only getting a QNAP that supports QTS Hero which uses a checksumming file system.

My high order but was transcoding and file integrity so I chose to build and use a server processor/board to get ECC memory + built in transcoding. Most of my library is HEVC/x265, so I just needed it to support that.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

priznat posted:

I have 4, and they’re around 38k hours I think (about 4 years)

I would get 4x12-14-16TB drives and replace those 6TB drives instead of expanding an array with four year old drives.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Wibla posted:

I would get 4x12-14-16TB drives and replace those 6TB drives instead of expanding an array with four year old drives.

This is me, only replacing 6 8 year old 4TB drives with 18TB as I continually refresh https://shucks.top/ to see when they'll hit a low price.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’ve been keeping an eye out for deals on 12TB cmr drives (probably red pros) so that’s on my radar.

Still a bit pricey though!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

rufius posted:

The TrueNAS builds seem nice but are pricey for what they are. If you need to transcode, better to build your own IMO.

I think Synology is well regarded these days though I had a bad experience a long time ago. That should not discourage you though.

Before building mine, I had a QNAP TVS-471. I liked it well enough but I would suggest only getting a QNAP that supports QTS Hero which uses a checksumming file system.

My high order but was transcoding and file integrity so I chose to build and use a server processor/board to get ECC memory + built in transcoding. Most of my library is HEVC/x265, so I just needed it to support that.

I've used Synology for work and they're not awful but not quite on par with what I'd prefer. I've set up a WesternDigital before and that was good but the authentication system was pretty dogshit. I'll take a look at QNAP with QuTS capabilities. Thanks!

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I just got a new 4-bay synology nas, want to make sure I understand the setup process and will only need 2 drives to start.

Right now my 'big storage' is just a 6tb hdd. I'm planning on moving everything on it on to the NAS instead and have bought the NAS itself and one additional 6tb drive. My plan is to set up the nas with just the new 6tb drive and no redundancy, copy over all the files, then add in the old drive and upgrade to SHR redundancy. I just want to make sure that I can safely add the second disk and change the redundancy mode without blowing away all the data already stored on the nas. If not I'll just buy a third disk from the start but I don't need the space right now.

Based on what I'm reading here it looks like that should be possible, just wanted to check that I'm understanding this all correctly and I won't be erasing all my data by doing that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rahu posted:

I just got a new 4-bay synology nas, want to make sure I understand the setup process and will only need 2 drives to start.

Right now my 'big storage' is just a 6tb hdd. I'm planning on moving everything on it on to the NAS instead and have bought the NAS itself and one additional 6tb drive. My plan is to set up the nas with just the new 6tb drive and no redundancy, copy over all the files, then add in the old drive and upgrade to SHR redundancy. I just want to make sure that I can safely add the second disk and change the redundancy mode without blowing away all the data already stored on the nas. If not I'll just buy a third disk from the start but I don't need the space right now.

Based on what I'm reading here it looks like that should be possible, just wanted to check that I'm understanding this all correctly and I won't be erasing all my data by doing that.

Yep. Note that when you first add the new drive and initialize it, you need to pick SHR-1 rather than Basic even though you only have one drive.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Won't a new 6TB drive more than likely be SMR? I'd just go larger and get two CMR drives. Adding an old drive seems like asking for trouble down the road when it inevitably dies.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Thanks, will give that a go then.

Wibla posted:

Won't a new 6TB drive more than likely be SMR? I'd just go larger and get two CMR drives. Adding an old drive seems like asking for trouble down the road when it inevitably dies.

Both the original and the new one are seagate ironwolf so I assume it isn't smr, I bought the old one only about a year ago with the intent of stuffing into a nas in the near future. That's close enough that I'm not too worried about it failing early.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Rahu posted:

Thanks, will give that a go then.

Both the original and the new one are seagate ironwolf so I assume it isn't smr, I bought the old one only about a year ago with the intent of stuffing into a nas in the near future. That's close enough that I'm not too worried about it failing early.

That seems to be true, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

gently caress, Post Finland lost my E5 2860 v4 and 2x32GB EEC. Supermicro motherboard arrived intact. I'm kind of hoping they find my stuff still, I'd hate to reorder them.