Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I just played through Dread Eye, the VR game from the DreadOut devs.

Its really short and a fun little horror experience, you just summon a bunch of ghosts and then get transported to the spirit realm for fun little asides, such as losing in Russian roulette which then takes you to a room where you have a shootout with a bunch of ghosts with a pair of six shooters which don't seem to be calibrated to Quest 2 controllers so whenever you move them they start spinning around reloading constantly.

It did get a bit weird with some imagery. The last section has a lady dressed like a slutty nurse halloween costume for reasons not entirely evident past horror/sex juxtaposition. Is that something from the Dreadout series?

In short, it was ok, I liked it enough, but not a real horror vr experience I wanted.d

Its getting into spooky season so I also made my partner play Imscared and Dead Of Night, I forgot how spooky Imscared is. Definitely one of my favourites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Given the absolute resolution that Konami has with never doing anything good with their properties I firmly believe this is going to turn out to be a texting app

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Given the absolute resolution that Konami has with never doing anything good with their properties I firmly believe this is going to turn out to be a texting app

It's just a live twitter feed with a 2005 Hot Topic themed layout.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Vegastar posted:

It's just a live twitter feed with a 2005 Hot Topic themed layout.

So MySpace? I'd support that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CuddleCryptid posted:

eh they just announced a suikoden I/II remaster it's not impossible

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not sure how much re-releasing old games counts for anything but it's not the worst case scenario I guess. If nothing else I can play some of the portable SOTN clones now without loving with emulators.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

are the castlevania games horror games

serious question

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Nyoro posted:

are the castlevania games horror games

serious question

I ask that every once in a while online and I think the answer depends entirely on who you ask and can easily be either "definitely yes" or "absolutely not", but that it's maybe a problem of definition and media expectation. I definitely know a lot of horror fans for whom the term means "any media that elicits a visceral fear reaction" and I think for me I want a more concise word like "horror" that covers stuff like Castlevania, where they're not really explicitly meant to be frightening, but have a kind of dark, gothic aesthetic that shares a lot of DNA with other horror stuff.

I guess "gothic" might be the word I want but that also has other connotations, and doesn't really cover a lot of horror-adjacent media. If you ask me, Castlevania games count as horror but I get why some people would strongly disagree.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I get it. For example, you'd probably get varying answers if you were to ask "Is the Beetlejuice cartoon horror?" Is it aesthetics? The intended reaction the creators were looking for? Or whatever reaction the viewer has, regardless of intention?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
It’s Dracula. If Dracula is in it it’s horror.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I think the appropriate answer is Castlevania is horror themed. They’re action games though, not scary or anything like the traditional sense of a horror game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Netflix series definitely dives into horror far more than the games. Game Dracula is basically a Power Rangers villain, I expect him to hang out with Rita Repulsa and Death is Lord Zedd.

e: Castlevania 64 and the Lords of Shadows games probably lean heaviest into traditional gothic horror.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Horror-themed, especially the 64 ones. I liked the first LoS a lot. The sequel kind of stank? Why the hell were there stealth sections...

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Castlevania, Splatterhouse, Monster Party, etc, are horror themed but not horror.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I consider the Just Dance series to be horror

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's mostly an issue of how much power the player has and Castlevania makes the player quite capable of fighting back. But now that you mention games like Splatterhouse there's nothing that stops a horror-themed game from sneaking in terror.

Jennifer has become a mindless beast.

Also obligatory nothing made my heart pound like transporting the nitroglycerin in Castlevania 64.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's thematically a horror game but isn't scary. Dracula is a horror book but isn't scary in the same way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
anatomy might be one of the top ten horror games of its entire decade

i revisited a walkthrough of it and it's just as brilliant as ever

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bogart posted:

Castlevania, Splatterhouse, Monster Party, etc, are horror themed but not horror.

Hey now, monster party has some purposefully scary poo poo in it

al-azad posted:

e: Castlevania 64 and the Lords of Shadows games probably lean heaviest into traditional gothic horror.

Even then one of the early enemies in one of the Castlevania 64s is just some skeletons on motorbikes having a grand old time.

There's a definite area where something is based around horror but isn't itself trying to be a super scary experience. Castlevania exists in that area alongside Ghosts n Goblins, Darkstalkers, Splatterhouse, with each of them varying in balance of how much the aesthetic is horror vs how much of the actual experience is horror.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's thematically a horror game but isn't scary. Dracula is a horror book but isn't scary in the same way.

I disagree.

My greatest fear in life is Dracula.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

I disagree.

My greatest fear in life is Dracula.

How is Dracula gonna hurt you? Dude lives on the moon.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Hammer-style horror but replace Hammer with a whip

DOOM is likewise slasher horror but the slasher is you, and it's less slashing than it is ripping and tearing

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bussamove posted:

How is Dracula gonna hurt you? Dude lives on the moon.

He's got a laser.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Blockhouse posted:

It's "psychoplasm" which never actually get explained in game but is based on a real made-up idea of there being like a primordial ooze but for consciousness

fun fact, irl this was cheese cloth that mediums would swallow and then hack up / pull out all covered in mucous

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Horror thread, I come to you seeking help.

I want to enjoy horror games, but I am a tremendous scaredy cat.

Love horror movies, enjoy being scared by horror movies, but the second you put me in control of the action I rapidly become too terrified to keep playing. I'll watch a movie where a character is about to open the door you just know the killer is behind with a big grin on my face, but if I have to make my character walk up and open that drat door I just...can't do it, I find the whole experience way more intense. Accordingly a lot of the way that I've experienced horror games is through watching LPs of them, the Silent Hill series and PT in particular.

Given that October is Spooky Game Season, I want to try to throw myself at some horror games and give myself some "immersion therapy" as it were to help me stop freaking myself out so bad.
Can anyone suggest some horror games to give me an on-ramp? As I play more horror games and get some experience under my belt I'll start ramping it up in intensity,

PC, Xbox Series S, Switch available and happy to emulate any older systems.

Stuff I noped out real, real hard on:
Amnesia - A friend made me play, I did not have a good time.
Alien Isolation - I loving love Alien and Aliens which I think didn't help because I was familiar with the source material and was already freaked out well before the Xenomorph showed up because I knew what was coming :v:

Horror stuff I've played successfully:

Year Walk
Yahtzee's Chzo Mythos games
Oxenfree. Had horror moments but not really a horror game per se.
Telltale's The Walking Dead.
Limbo & Inside, though I don't know how much they count as horror games.
Until Dawn (with my wife which helped mitigate a lot of the scares particularly since it's trading so hard into horror movie tropes)
Dying Light (weirdly despite all the first person chase sequences I was fine, probably because you accumulate so much weaponry that it rapidly stops being scary)
I made it through the Ocean House Hotel in Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines with gritted teeth while swearing profusely to the amusement of a friend watching me play
Resident Evil 5 - felt waaaaaaaaaay more like an action game than a horror one.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Ease yourself in by going from RE5 to 4, which has a bit more horror trappings. From there you could continue into RE with the 2 remake or 1 if you're feeling brave, or pivot to other survival action like Evil Within.

You should savour these scares while you can though and just jump into some real experiences, I'd recommend:

Longer games:
Project Zero/Fatal Frame
RE1 Remake
RE4
Silent Hill 1-3

Shorter games:
Discover my Body
Cleansuit
Anatomy
Faith 1&2
Imscared

Once you get used to them scary games lose a lot of the effect. I can only get my thrills by watching other people play them now, and finding good people to watch on YouTube is a pain.

I've been seeing rumours that the new SH game is due in October, Faith Chapter 3 and a new iteration of Imscared (swear I'll stop going on about it now) is also due out. Busy month!

Fingerless Gloves fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 29, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'd say go try Dead Space but the remake of that is on the way and the original version is a bit dated (mainly the PC port is bad and there's no other "current" version).

The aforementioned Condemned is a terrific horror-action game that isn't too spooky.

Could try some other horror-themed adventure games like Fran Bow or The Cat Lady. Or all the Dark Pictures games + Until Dawn and The Quarry, since they are basically movies.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

+1 on both Fran Bow and The Cat Lady. Yuppie Psycho is another good horror adventure game. Red Candle Games' Detention is excellent, although their Devotion might be too much at times. Trigger warnings on Cat Lady and Detention for suicide, and Devotion for child murder through neglect

If you're looking for action games then the original American McGee's Alice still holds up imo and is more gross than jumpscare-y

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I'm considering playing the Devil Came Through Here trilogy for October, but I'm not sure how high my tolerance is for very dated game engines like AGS. I'll at least give Cat Lady a try first, but is it possible to skip to Lorelai, since that one is at least built in Unity?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

I'll at least give Cat Lady a try first, but is it possible to skip to Lorelai, since that one is at least built in Unity?

I'm sure Lorelai is a perfectly good game and yes the Cat Lady has some mechanical jank to it but no, don't skip the really good game.

At least watch a let's play of it, and I'm not just saying that because I did the one on the Archive.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Wine was in same for like 4 bucks so I got it. Gonna drink some beers and play it tonight.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hakkesshu posted:

I'd say go try Dead Space but the remake of that is on the way and the original version is a bit dated (mainly the PC port is bad and there's no other "current" version).

Hmm, I first played the Dead Space games within the last year and I didn't notice anything particularly bad about the first one in PC. It's a little dated, but much like RE4 I thought it was still perfectly playable.

Anyways, I was gonna say Dead Space 1&2 are both good picks for that style of game that's horror themed but is more generally tense with a few jumps than really terrifying.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

I'm considering playing the Devil Came Through Here trilogy for October, but I'm not sure how high my tolerance is for very dated game engines like AGS. I'll at least give Cat Lady a try first, but is it possible to skip to Lorelai, since that one is at least built in Unity?

Cat Lady trilogy games work mostly fine stand alone but the stories flow better at certain parts if you've played them in order, including original Downfall before Cat Lady but it's easy to look up the reference. Cat Lady and Downfall Redux aren't hard to get through with fastidious saving, the jank is minimal.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
Maybe Soma (by the Amnesia devs) with the monsters set to non-agressive? You still get all the atmosphere and dread, but no chase sequences.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Little Nightmares is fun and spooky in a Burtonesque theatrical stage play kind of way. It helps the camera is always distant and parallel to the stage so it's like looking ain a dollhouse, the spooks are just really good framing and oppressive atmosphere.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mode 7 posted:

Horror thread, I come to you seeking help.

Dead Island - If you played Dying Light, this would be less tamer version of it.
Deadlight - Its the zombie version of Limbo/Inside
Carrion - Where you are the one eating people and loving poo poo up.
Murdered: Soul Suspect - More a story detective game on solving your own murder, the only monsters are tame as hell and easy to avoid.
Lightmatter - Not exactly a horror, but its a creepy version of Portal. The darkness auto kills you, stay in the light!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Doomykins posted:

including original Downfall before Cat Lady but it's easy to look up the reference.

What's the reference, I don't remember enough about Downfall vs the remake other than the epilogue being very different.

Also still upset that the Downfall remake basically says (spoilers for Cat Lady and Downfall) Joe's just running around murdering every neighbor from Cat Lady. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Felt like it was cruelty for cruelty's sake.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

What's the reference, I don't remember enough about Downfall vs the remake other than the epilogue being very different.

Also still upset that the Downfall remake basically says (spoilers for Cat Lady and Downfall) Joe's just running around murdering every neighbor from Cat Lady. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Felt like it was cruelty for cruelty's sake.

To your spoiler: Sounds par for the course with Harvester! Though given how things play out, they are the closest people to Joe during his mental breakdown.

Enormous spoilers.

Cat Lady: Joe and Ivy show up in one of the middle chapters, including a look at Joe going full psycho and force-feeding Ivy human slurry to fatten her as a chapter ending wham shot, which aside from being horrifying is some seriously dark worst ending vibes with the subtext of Downfall and Ivy's eating disorder. If you haven't played either Downfall before this it's an inexplicable reality shift for a scene and a bafflingly horrible serial killer guy who gets away with it right under your nose.

Downfall Redux: The last chapter and ending revolve around post-Cat Lady Susan busting Joe as one of the parasites and either judging and killing him or Joe and Ivy escaping, so if you've not played Cat Lady it may be a confusing, out of nowhere bit of vigilante justice.

Lorelei: This one's on my to play list but as I heard it it's tied to the backstory of the Queen of Maggots, so I assume playing Cat Lady gives you more to appreciate for that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

If I remember correctly Joe appears in The Cat Lady as Susan's neighbor and you eventually find out that he has his wife locked away, torturing her by force feeding her in order to "cure" her eating disorder.

Efb, better explanation above. I really need to play Lorilei, I keep forgetting that it is out. Halloween season game I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
No no I knew about that stuff already, I just wasn't sure what was meant by missing a reference in the cat lady by not playing the original non-canon downfall.

Tbh I think that trilogy is at its strongest when it is tackling the issues of the horror of trying to live with mental illness without the supernatural being the cause of said mental illness or exacerbating it into bog standard "mental illness turns you into a psycho killer" cliche. They get the nuance right sometimes but that just makes the other times that lack the nuance stand out more, for the worse imo.