Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Where can we find a list of stats for salvaged mechs and possible upgrades? I’ve thinking of putting together a plan for consideration if I can find the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
They're all available on the Master Unit List, you just have to divide a 'Mech's speed by 2 to find its movement in hexes.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

LeschNyhan posted:

Where can we find a list of stats for salvaged mechs and possible upgrades? I’ve thinking of putting together a plan for consideration if I can find the time.

My tag-along question; Is there an easy list of mechs that are good candidates for Multitasker? I like houserule for it, but I have no sense of how to break down/reverse the unit code/weapon generic-ification and see what might even make a good candidate for it.

As for an answer, you basically cross reference the master unit list and the Sarna wiki. Units are generic-ized in alpha strike, and the MUL is great at showing the cards, but its very bad at specific details. I find it helpful to look at sarna to see what it is (lpl boat, mrm refit, etc), then see how it looks.

Just as a tip, the MUL's search is wierd: you can do it by unit name(archer) or by unit code (ARC-5S), but archer 5s won't get you anywhere, so its handy on the 'which variant is even that' front too.
Edit: oh, and the rough barter cost for units is based on its PV

oh, also, THIS post is incredibly useful and beats my slapped together notes on what lances do what.
Like, it should probably be on the front page or even the OP. If you're looking at wrapping your head around 'what lances do' its basically essential.
(the only thing it doesn't seem to cover is the 'ideal role' mechanic, which is a way to backdoor qualifications by matching type to lance)

At the moment, I want to get a sense for what people are feeling, and making a larger post on that front. Right now, I think it might be advantageous to hold off on combat drills for a turn.(in order to hit the button when the sea foxes show up, and expand our hire list) So.. Scavenge and trade or logistics support are what I'm looking at.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 15, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

My tag-along question; Is there an easy list of mechs that are good candidates for Multitasker?

Multitasker's really not a great ability. It's not the worst (animal mimicry, I'm looking at you!) but it's a solid C- tier.

It's best on a 'Mechs with a really high damage value, so you can finish off something crippled without wasting as much of the overkill damage.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Well done on not only surviving but profiting off this event goons. I say take the camera gig.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Camera-mech should be fun. For who I cannot say.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

ilmucche posted:

That camera option on the next mission seems like it could piss off an employer depending on the contract. Even an arena fight might piss off the games organisers

Is there an option to do B -and- C together?
That seems like some leverage that goes together.

I have a few questions for PTN:
I remember you saying offhand that the locust can't really grab salvage due to no hands. Can battle armor do it, though? They have hands, but are they big enough?

Just to make sure I have it straight: In order to repair the malice and turn it into a variant at the same time, it would be 5 salvage for the repair then 4 for the retrofit, all together?

I appreciate the purchase improvements! if we want to buy something that's locally produced (on galatea), is it possible to buy a variant instead of the listed model and get the factory to do the refit for us by paying more? (full disclosure, I'm eyeballing the c3 Gürteltier, as well as they grey death scout willo-wisp variant. It seems neat to have, cuz of the true invisibility/camoflage angle)

Are warrior xp totals accurate? I think I see one or two that should be higher. (I'm guessing your spreadsheet's updated, and its just the image lagging behind)

With regards to missions and contracts, is there a danger of like, generating missions and then not being able to deploy because mandatory double downtime hits and everyone's too tired to go?
(I'm thinking of a two downtime action plan to get ahead of things, basically, but also wondering what happens if all the wrong thigns come up. Do we just get an angry employer and deploy later?)

Questions for the thread/everyone:

We're starting to get a decent amount of Xp on our units to play around with. I think the last mission showed the strength of Battle Lances a [i]lot[/i- I think we might want to start thinking about SPA's. In particular, Lucky is fairly cheap for the same effect as a battle lance, and I'm thinking ironsides or frost could use a level or two, especially as they tend to be in a command lance(not a battle lance). So, some insurance on the heavies, basically.

Going for speed demon on Funnelweb might also be interesting, as it gives them better map access to grab salvage with their bonus. The problem is we don't necessarily have a super speedy light(with hands?) to dedicate to it and I'm not sure its worth buying one, much less the battle hawk.

Then there's the matter of what to do with Popcorn. They can actually specialize right away, which is tempting, but I'm not sure its the -best- option. Bringing them to skill 3 right away is also great... but so is also dunking Lucky 3, banking 2, then shoving him in our biggest mech.

At the moment, we have some really cool options in the salvage bucket too, including one that's like a better black knight :ssh: There's an ok shadow hawk refit that makes it play nice with C3i, and some other stuff like the jackalope repair. Right now our needs -way- outweigh our means, tho.
There's also a fairly substantial amount of barter to be had in the repair catalogue too; I think the blade is worth about 35 barter for 2 salvage if we need to make purchases. The malice is potentially worth a lot more due to good reputation, but also costs a lot more

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

I have a few questions for PTN:
I remember you saying offhand that the locust can't really grab salvage due to no hands. Can battle armor do it, though? They have hands, but are they big enough?
Infantry is useful for securing certain objectives, but infantry and vehicles normally can't recover salvage. It would just take infantry too long to dig it out; and most vehicles aren't physically capable of it (and the ones that are are non-combattants).

quote:

Just to make sure I have it straight: In order to repair the malice and turn it into a variant at the same time, it would be 5 salvage for the repair then 4 for the retrofit, all together?
That's correct.

quote:

if we want to buy something that's locally produced (on galatea), is it possible to buy a variant instead of the listed model and get the factory to do the refit for us by paying more?
Things available for purchase aren't necessarily produced locally, so I'd have to think about that. It would probably depend on the planet and the variant.

quote:

Are warrior xp totals accurate?
They should be. Who do you think I missed?

quote:

With regards to missions and contracts, is there a danger of like, generating missions and then not being able to deploy because mandatory double downtime hits and everyone's too tired to go?
No, you'll take the downtime first and eat the upkeep costs immediately. You need a minimum of 12 available warriors or you'll be forced to rest.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

They should be. Who do you think I missed?

Thanks for all that!

And the vehicle crews/team leaders mostly! I think we've had them long enough they ought to be closer to skill 3 than further away.
(I was considering the scout BA as a salvage team, before I had a brain fart correction and realized that a) they probably can't do it and b) jump 8" is not as good as it looks on the MUl unit card, since its four inches hexes.)

That, and wondering if the sea foxes will bring clan aerospace had me looking at that section's Xp in general and thinking 'hey, shouldn't that be higher?'

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 16, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ah, yeah, you're right. I did the mechwarriors and forgot to do everyone else.

I'll get that updated ASAP, they're at 2 fatigue and 2 XP.

smdvogrin
Mar 8, 2019

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've really needed to do a lance type breakdown, so here we go:
Unless otherwise stated, the bonus for a subtype is identical to the standard bonus.

Battle Lance
Basic requirement(s): 3 members of the lance must have any combination of the brawler, sniper, or skirmisher roles.
Advanced requirement(s): Most battle lances have weight limits that require all members be a similar size if possible
Subtypes: Light Battle Lance, Medium Battle Lance, Heavy Battle Lance

Battle Lances aren't really the generalist lance type you might expect. Despite looking easy to formation break (defeat 1-2 sniper/skirmisher/brawlers and a battle lance will often lose cohesion) they're probably the single most defensive lance type in Alpha Strike. Rather than getting an individual pilot skill, Battle Lance gets six points of the Lucky skill to share communally between all members of the unit (this doesn't need to be assigned, any member of the lance may use as much or as little of this as needed). Lucky forces the enemy to reroll successful attacks, but once the Battle Lance is out of rerolls it doesn't grant any other benefits.

Poptarts, I was meaning to ask after noticing it in the last battle - was this an adaption due to the play-by-post campaign, or did Lucky change in the Commander's Edition printing? According to ASCE, Lucky lets the units re-roll their own missed attack rolls - there is there is separate SPA called Float Like A Butterfly that forces successful attacks against that unit to be re-rolled.

"LUCKY
Unit Type: Any
SPA Cost: (1 to 4) points
It’s not really skill that’s placing this pilot’s shots, but nobody
cares as long as he gets the job done. For every point spent on
purchasing this special pilot ability, this unit may reroll 1 failed
attack roll or 1 failed Control Roll per scenario. The second roll result
stands, even if it fails or is worse than the first."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You are completely correct. I've got the two reversed in my head, I could've sworn Lucky was the defensive skill and Float like a Butterfly was for attack rerolls. Float like a Butterfly was added after most of the other SPAs, at least I didn't forget it exists entirely this time.

Getting to choose between 6 points of Lucky or 6 points of Float like a Butterfly wouldn't break battle lances, so I'll probably just give players that option as a house rule.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

In the interest of getting a plan proposed for discussion:

Action Plan "Wait and See"
Major Downtime Action
- Hire additional command staff.

Units and Warriors reserved for Combat
Lance 1 - Command Lance
- Unit 1: Black Knight
- Warrior: Popcorn
- Unit 2: Firestarter
- Warrior: Shotel
- Unit 3: Valkyrie
- Warrior: Drake
- Unit 4: Vindicator
- Warrior: Cherry Bomb

Lance 2 - Calvalry Lance
- Unit 1: Stormwolf Prime
- Warrior: Awoo
- Unit 2: Jackalope # 1
- Warrior: Funnelweb
- Unit 3: Jackalope # 2
- Warrior: Impact
- Unit 4: Mad Cat III
- Warrior: Hardpoint

Lance 3 - Medium Battle Lance
- Unit 1: Kheper
- Warrior: Weasel
- Unit 2: Shadow Hawk
- Warrior: Frontline
- Unit 3: Excalibur
- Warrior: Ironsides
- Unit 4: Preta Caelestis
- Warrior: Taboo

Warriors Training
- Fisher, Sahara, Bugbear, Flycatcher, Lionness, Afterburner, Rat Party

Unassigned Warriors
- Voltage, Chilli, Indiana, Frost

Fired Staff
- None

Experience Expenditures
- Popcorn spends 4 xp to reach Skill 3
- Popcorn spends 1 xp to train in Size 1 Mechs and gain total mastery, for personal amusement

Repairs, Rebuilds, and Upgrades
- Repair Black Knight for 1 salvage
- Rebuild Mad Cat III for 3 salvage
3 salvage remaining

Buying New Units
- None

Selling Salvage or ‘Mechs
- None

PTN's implied that the Sea Foxes are going to show up pretty soon, which is likely to affect a lot of our purchase/rebuild options. While we could run combat drills to get both staff and mechwarriors this turn, that's likely to leave us with a double down-time after this mission, and it's probably best we save barter/make sure we're able to run a second mission immediately to maximize our use of this opportunity. Hence the training/rest pattern, which should still leave us with 12 pilots available (unless I've screwed up my math completely), as well 2 XP on Fisher, Sahara, and Bugbear to get them into Size 2 mechs and probably ditch the Locusts for good (three Jackalopes ought to be enough to fill that niche). Only rebuild I'm proposing right now is get the Mad Cat III running, both because it's just a good mech, and because if/when the Sea Foxes show up we can then get it modded to the III-X straight away as discussed. I am tempted to sell one of the Locusts now to secure the JHK-03 Jade Hawk in case it disappears (the base mech's pretty good, the Jade Hawk 3 looks terrifying); if people think that's a good idea I can go ahead and add that to the plan.

Team builds are largely the same as before, with the note that we should probably try and trigger Funnelweb's Salvager ability as much as we can to help us towards the Mad Cat refit/Malice rebuild goals.

I'd be tempted to buy some of the non-mech units just so we can start counting those pilots in the rotation, but they're all on their last energy this round anyway, so might as well hold off til we have a look at the next market (none of the vehicles/battle armor seems like can't miss stuff, but I'm sure someone will correct me on that).

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Think about it like a Hitler mustache, nobody really cares what excuse you make for having one or if you want to insist that actually what you have is a Charlie Chaplin mustache

The French army used the Tiger immediately after WW2. Granted they probably repainted them and they aren't shaped like a giant swastika. Except spiritually. Maybe we could slap some grover cladding on them to break up the silhouettes?

e: This isn't a Legacy, it's a, huh, special issue Hunchback IIC.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 19, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The problem with the celestials is that it's nearly impossible to disguise them as anything else.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gonna need to pull a Hogarth, go the whole nine yards

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

On some level they can kinda look like late era Jade Falcon Omnis, I guess, I guess also that, in the dark, wearing a blindfold, I could be convinced, at gunpoint, to see a Marauder top turret instead of a Deva or Seraph.

E: I may also be drugged enough to see a Thor where a Grigori is.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 19, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They do share the Summoner's design principle: maximum armor, cram in whatever guns still fit after that.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Ok, I've had a think and I will propose this plan - we're a merc company, so we should be Battle-ready.

I've aimed this plan at rotating our pilots so we're not exhausted and not entirely reliant on good recruitment draws to maintain at least our current force composition into the next fight - assuming I understood the actions and combat rules correctly.

Major Downtime Action
We need to Recruit. My proposed shuffle will allow enough pilots to rest for us to field a full company at our best throw weight, but it's very tight and we need more replacements in case of pilot death or injury. We need a deeper pool.

Repairs and Rebuilds
Repair BL-18-KNT Black Knight for 1 salvage. (The engine damage has to go, and it's a key unit.)
Rebuild JLP-BD Jackalope for 2 salvage. (These are impressive little monsters and a trio in our light lance should be able to wreak some real havoc together).
Rebuild Mad Cat III for 3 salvage. (Expensive, but a high-damage striker with long range capability.)

This leaves 1 salvage, but we get two solid units and keep our salvage options. (No purchase from barter, in case the Sea Foxes show up later; however, I don't want to plan around them.)

Experience Expenditures
Popcorn 4 XP to increase skill from 4 to 3 (We need our heavier assets to be as effective as possible.)
Indiana 1 XP for SPA Human TRO (I pulled Shotel off the line to rest, so Indiana can stand in for her this time and we should be able to rotate them to keep them both active.)

Units and Warriors reserved for Combat

Command Lance
- Unit 1: BL-18-KNT Black Knight (Brawler, command mech) - Combat Intuition
- Warrior: Popcorn
- Unit 2: Mad Cat III (Missile Boat) - Combat Intuition
- Warrior: Hardpoint
- Unit 3: KHP-7R Kheper (Brawler)
- Warrior: Weasel
- Unit 4: VND-5L Vindicator (Skirmisher)
- Warrior: Frontline

Cavalry Lance
- Unit 1: Stormwolf Prime (Striker)
- Warrior: Awoo
- Unit 2: EXC-D1 Excalibur (Skirmisher, C3i) - Speed Demon
- Warrior: Ironsides
- Unit 3: C-PRT-O Preta Caelestis (Striker. C3i) - Speed Demon
- Warrior: Taboo
- Unit 4: SHD-6D Shadow Hawk (Skirmisher) - Speed Demon
- Warrior: High Voltage

Light Battle Lance
- Unit 1: JLP-BD Jackalope #1 (Striker)
- Warrior: Impact
- Unit 2: JLP-BD Jackalope #2 (Striker)
- Warrior: Indiana
- Unit 3: JLP-BD Jackalope #3 (Striker)
- Warrior: Drake
- Unit 4: FS9-M2 Firestarter (Scout)
- Warrior: Funnelweb

Warriors Training
Fisher and Sahara train. (This gives each of them 2xp which will qualify them for medium (Size 2) 'Mechs by next combat.) Also Flycatcher, Lionness, Afterburner, Rat Party

Unassigned Warriors
Frost, Chilli, Cherry Bomb, Bugbear, Shotel will rest

Again, assuming I understand fatigue rules correctly - and assuming no casualties - we should be able to deploy again. Pilots that should be available next time:
Size 3 - Popcorn and Frost; Size 2: Hardpoint, Weasel, Fisher, Cherry Bomb, Sahara, Frontline; Size 1: Impact, Drake, Chilli, Bugbear, Shotel

But we will have a lot of exhausted pilots, so I'd like to stress that I think we need to recruit more pilots as a priority.

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 22, 2022

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Hey, im' also working on an action plan, and I think i may have caught two more errors(sorry!)

PoptartsNinja posted:

Downtime 3 – 1
DropShip Status Rolled 4, the DropShip returns this non-combat turn!
Dropship Cargo 2 barter generated

Is this +2 barter or +2 salvage? (Honeysong's unit card says its salvage, but it wasn't a high roll so, well, just checking because salvage is rather important right now!)

Also frontline doesn't seem to have used any stamina! I think thats an error because he was in the vindicator last go

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

(Honeysong's unit card says its salvage, but it wasn't a high roll so, well, just checking because salvage is rather important right now!)

It's supposed to be 1d6 barter, that's a typo. Nice catch, I'll fix that.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

No worries, sorry to keep making work for you! I think i used extra salvage in a previous update on the last planet so whoops

So here's where I'm at. There's a lot of small thoughts(which I'll summarize in a seperate post) that went into this. Its useful stuff for plan-makers to think about

The merc company is actually in a position kinda unique to mercenaries: we could just coast off the dropship income via logistics support. Its not a great move, but it s a nice fallback. Practically, we could afford to do that and train for 2-3 turns and it'd just be a time wasting stall.
It is, however, boring.

So we have 24 barter and our upkeep is 7. That means we have about 3 turns of cash burn.
Between hiring mechwarriors and hiring staff, I think we need both, if we were to take the options seperately, it'd be 14 barter in upkeep alone. So... I think combat drills, is really worthwhile. It'd be a bargian if it was only 2 combined actions. Negotiate on top is just a bouns.

Looking at staffing side of things ...

If we get any recruiter at all, that's massive. If we get an astech that can focus repairs on one mech(much less a dedicated engineer) that's great! If we get a cargomaster to help with the dropship runs, that's more money(or less upkeep). If we get a clerk to look after finances and reduce upkeep, that's more money to spend. A chief engineer or salvager that can either repair mechs faster, cheaper, get us more salvage(or refurb salvage we use) is ace. If we get a cook that can bring up crew morale/fatigue, that's great too! So, we gotta hire.
(shoot, I'd even take a drill instructor that makes pilots that lose stamina on drills gain xp, as if they had trained. Thats not a role, tho)

On the warrior side of things, this is what our lineup looks like. We actually have a huge shortage of good medium pilots!

quote:

Roster: Shortlist.
Assault: 1 pilot. Skill 4: Popcorn
Heavy: 4 pilots. Skill 3: Awoo, Ironsides, Skill 4: Frost, Popcorn.
Medium: 4 pilots.Skill 3: Hardpoint. Skill 4: Taboo, High Voltage, Cherry Bomb, Weasel, Frontline, Popcorn.
Light: Skill 3: Shotel, Chili, Bugbear. Skill 4: Drake, High Voltage, Funnelweb, Indiana,Sahara, Impact, Fisher.
Better doing something else but can: Ironsides(heavy), Taboo(specialized)
SO, we gotta recruit too, if only to fill out the ranks.

Plus, we don't actually -have- to deploy right away!

And that means combat drills actually saves us time/barter, even if hiring staff costs money.

Based on our last hiring, I think its pretty likely we'll get at least 4+ usable/good pilots and an equal amount of staff in the 2-6 barter range.

On the subject of salvage, since we're on the beginning of rest cycle, I don't need to spend salvage on the black knight. It'll get halfway fixed through time.
There's two further factors: The Blade in our repair catalogue is worth a -ton- of barter for its salvage cost. (35 total for 2).
... and then there's the Archer C 2.

Seriously, just look at that thing!

I think that saving salvage overall and seeing what shakes is a prudent move. As tempting as it is to impulse spend now, I think we'll be better off with more barter and salvage in the bank.
Third jackalope is great, So its the jade hawk! its even a good stand-in for the black knight.
But why rush it if we're not gonna fight anyway?

Action Plan Piggy bank and drills
Major Downtime Action: Combat Drills

Units and Warriors reserved for Combat:
None. We aren't expecting to deploy this turn.
If an emergency deployment is warranted, use the last turns missions roster.

Repairs and Rebuilds
Sideline the black knight for regular repairs. If we happen to hire staff with a repair bonus assign them to the black knight.
We're not deploying because we don't have a contract. This gets it halfway to being functional again without salvage being spent.
Conditional repair: If we need the barter to make excessive purchases, then repair and sell the Blade from the repair catalogue. (2 salvage for about +35 barter)

Unassigned Warriors
Awoo will rest, just so they are available when things go unhinged and to be the adult in the room instead of asleep.

Warriors Training
Train: Frost, Taboo, Ironsides, Drake, Shotel, High Voltage, Chili, Cherry Bomb, Funnelweb, Indiana, Bugbear, Weasel, Sahara, Frontline, Impact, Hardpoint, Fisher, Popcorn.
Train: All new warrior hires.
Perpetually Train Until Reassigned(override yellow action OK!): Flycatcher, Lioness, Afterburner, Rat party.

We might lose everyone's stamina to the combat drills, we're just spending it like there's no tomorrow. Drake, Weasel, Sahara, Frontline, Impact, Hardpoint and Fisher (and Funnelweb, see below) should be available for deployment, mostly. Its 8 pilots or so.

Experience Expenditures
Popcorn to Skill 3. (4xp, bank 2)
Bugbear trains Medium Weight Mechs. (2xp, 0 remain). This gets us another medium pilot, and puts him in the trebuchet where his SPA does something useful.
Funnelweb picks up Hard Worker. Just...after the combat drills roll, please.

Next Turn Contingencies:
Since there's an slight chance of having to do another downtime/combo turn right away: if it happens, suggest a vote one of the following options: Logistics Support, Combat Drills(again!), Hire, recruit, Scavenge and Trade, Other.

Roster for next turn.
Will be a heavy WIP because its depandant on hires, roles and dice.

Tldr; the maybe double downtime isn't actually unmanagable thanks to Logistics Support being a thing.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 23, 2022

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I think for combat drills, the units and warriors assigned to combat are the ones doing the drills, so you'd want to define the roster.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Ardlen posted:

I think for combat drills, the units and warriors assigned to combat are the ones doing the drills, so you'd want to define the roster.

Ah! I just assumed it was a company-wide coinflip where -everyone- drills and shows off, aka mandatory fun!

if thats the case please let me know!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

The merc company is actually in a position kinda unique to mercenaries: we could just coast off the dropship income via logistics support. Its not a great move, but it s a nice fallback. Practically, we could afford to do that and train for 2-3 turns and it'd just be a time wasting stall.
It is, however, boring.

Possibly less boring than you'd think, since you'd go straight from one downtime vote to the next. That option is there for a reason if you ever feel comfortable enough with your finances to do some intensive training; you'd just have to be careful because you would be losing barter and could miss out on random event opportunities if they cost barter.

Ardlen posted:

It's the entire company, which is why it mostly randomly exhausts people. Sometimes slackers just have to work harder to get up to speed, which is tiring.

There are a couple of personality / background tags that will ensure pilots get fatigue during some types of activities, but they're fairly rare.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Ah, thanks ptn!

Here's the 'useful info' post just all in one place.

quote:

Roster: Shortlist.
Assault: 1 pilot. Skill 4: Popcorn
Heavy: 4 pilots. Skill 3: Awoo, Ironsides, Skill 4: Frost, Popcorn.
Medium: 7 pilots. Skill 3: Hardpoint. Skill 4: Taboo, High Voltage, Cherry Bomb, Weasel, Frontline, Popcorn.
Light: 10-12 Skill 3: Shotel, Chili, Bugbear. Skill 4: Drake, High Voltage, Funnelweb, Indiana, Sahara, Impact, Fisher.
Better doing something else but can: Ironsides(heavy), Taboo(specialized)

With 6 salvage to play with we actually have a ton of value if we spend it wisely. Here's how it looks if we want barter. Edit: Pricing table adjusted.

quote:

Repair Catalogue Barter Bank
BLD-xl blade, 35 PV for 17.5 barter for 2 salvage. 8.75 barter per salvage.
WTC-4m Watchman - 26 PV for 13 barter for 3 salvage. 4.3 barter per salvage.
Mad cat III, 44 pv for 14.66 barter(22 w/o bad rep) for 3 salvage. 4.88 salvage/barter (bad reputation)
CDR-2x cuirass, 26 PV for 13 barter for 3 salvage. 4.33 barter per salvage .
ARC-9R archer, 37 PV for 18.5 barter for 4 salvage. 4.63 barter per salvage.
Ext-7x exterminator, 44 PV for 22 barter for 4 salvage. 5.5 barter per salvage.
PRF-1c prefect, 43 PV for 21.5 barter for 4 salvage 5.375 barter per salvage.
MAL-xt Malice, 43 PV for 43 barter for 5 salvage 8.6 barter per salvage. (good reputation)
Like, we could repair and pitch the blade and buy the jade hawk on the spot and still come out ahead. The difference is about -6 barter now; and it looks like lights are still great ish bang for buck.

Salvage opportunities from repair catalogue:
Preta Dominus (1 salvage omnipod unlock). This is a backburner upgrade; the preta caelestis and excalibur are great together, the main issue is i noticed last mission is they have the same move speed so its hard to get one into short range: Its easy to miss, but this is a jump 8 version. This would let the preta close and c3i to work better
Shadow hawk 7CS(2 salvage refit)Another one of these bad boys, this is a c3i shadowhawk that plays nice with the preta and excalibur. It is an armor downgrade, though, which is why it haven't pushed it.
Jackalope BD. (2 salvage rebuild)
Archer c 2 (unit card).(3 salvage AFTER acquisition of mech).(available for purchase on galatea for 19 barter, or rebuild for 4 salvage). I pointed it out above, but its still disgusting. Bonus! Its a command mech, and battle fists play into the overheat-> punch lifestyle.
Mad cat iii (3 salvage rebuild).
Jade Hawk (24 barter purchase) I'll be honest? All of the versions look good and I don't even know which is the 'best' one!
Stormwolf D(1 salvage omnipod unlock) also seems to be a good upgrade.
I don't think it'll get built or used due to everything else on the plate, but the blade xr gets an runner up mention for being a move 7 with a tmm of 3 and 3 medium range damage.I was appreciating it because its an okay choice to put funnelweb in(it has hands!); (the runner up being the valkyrie.)
The mad cat iii(3 salvage rebuild) is pretty good too. Most of the variants seem decently usable too, and a few beside the best one are uparmored.
Honorable mentions:
The Chippewa actually looks decent? I'm not sure how to judge aerospace, but it seems both hard hitting and fragile/slow? Like, even the lucifer has more armor than it. Is it just a slow fat glass canon?

If anyone has any pet projects/neat ideas, please let me know. this is meant to be inclusive/informative! I poked around a lot, but that doesn't mean I saw everything!

On the subject of Hard worker, I was going to make a comparison about training time, but the shorthand is: every time you rest, it pays itself off 1 xp. I'm no sure its the best spa, but its interesting enough that case to be made for getting it on skill four pilots to have second line just filling in for the good units.Its how they catch up. It does seem to be an investment though, and the sooner you get it the sooner it starts paying off. I'm not sure where the breakpoint is though, or if it beats just firing bad pilots later during recruiting.

Bonus: I'm actually impressed by the vehicle options in the store! The fulcrum, morgan and gurtelier there's the makings of a good armored company! (all have c3 versions). Even the schmitt hits like a truck. The apcs are usable; there's one that transports like 3 infantry/battle armor squds by itself.
Like, getting the gurtelier, the fulcrums, and both the archers from the repair catalogue would make a pretty nasty fire c3 support lance with room to grow. I don't think we'll actually make use of it, but is neat.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 22, 2022

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Where did you find repair catalogue barter values?

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

LeschNyhan posted:

Where did you find repair catalogue barter values?

my understanding is that the sale price is just the PV value of the mech, barring modifiers for reputation quirks etc.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

They're based on the PV/points value in the master unit list (this came up when we sold the wolfhound for profit; but its easy to miss.)

PoptartsNinja posted:

BattleMech price is actually determined by their point value, with 'Mechs being available to buy at generally 1/2 their listed PV (and 'mechs with a bad reputation being available for even less). The current pricing scheme is:

Standard: (PV/2)
Bad Reputation: ((PV/2)/1.5)
Good Reputation: PV

This is also their resale price, +/- a few points depending on how the negotiation goes. 'Mechs with the Good Reputation quirk will almost never vary in price.

If you're wanting to sell the Wolfhound, a strong argument could be made for upgrading from the WLF-2 (28pv, good reputation) to the WLF-2H (36pv, good reputation)...

Actually, I need to redo that since its off, so gimme a sec. Edit: fixed now.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 22, 2022

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

quote:

Unassigned Warriors
Awoo will rest, just so she's available when things go unhinged and to be the adult in the room instead of asleep.

Remember that Awoo is they/them. Please don't scare off potential skilled gender mysterious recruits by creating a hostile work environment :ohdear:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

ah whoops, thanks

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I've done that more than once, because I shuffled the 'starter' genders a few times before I posted the thread.

I was trying to make sure I didn't get trapped thinking about any of them in a certain way but instead I just managed to confuse myself.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Hah! I'm glad it wasn't just me, but still.

Are there any amusing stories or mixups you can share? And is that why some of the crew icons look the same, only with a different filter?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Downtime 3 - 2

"Ey, you ain't gonna regret this." J.V. Flanagan clapped Sudhir Muratovic on the shoulder. The company's attorney had just finished vetting the paperwork absolving Hayard Gunnes Inc. from any liability should the worst happen to Flanagan's camera crew. They probably wouldn't get paid if the producer's crew bought it, but they wouldn't be forced to pay either and that was all Sudhir cared about.

"I already am," Sudhir kept his smile congenial. Flanagan seemed a slimeball, but there was something behind the greed in those eyes. This wasn't a random fancy, he'd been planning to embed a crew in a mercenary unit for some time. The only question remained: had he picked the Gunnes because he smelled a winner; or did he have other suspicions?

"We'll load our boys up into your 'Mechbay. We've got our own astech on staff, so you won't have to worry about upkeep or maintenance and we'll pay you for the space so you won't be at a loss. We'll set up shop, get our equipment working, and then get out of your hair ASAP so you can do what you do best." Flanagan clapped Sudhir on the shoulder again, "I can't wait until you see our CameraMech. It's a real beaut!"

"Just between you and me," he leaned in conspiratorially close. "Kids these days are getting into VR again. So we've got a full VR suite in that cockpit setup. We go in with you, take a few potshots, make it look like we scored some kills in post--boom. Easy money. After this, you mercs are gonna be big-time Holovid stars. Like that old show from the 3020s--Herc What's-His-Name, from the Capellan periphery. Only bigger, because Herc didn't have J.V. Flanagan backing him."

Nick Buntline's Plan (Hire Command Staff)
LeschNyhan's Plan (Recruit Warriors)
TheParadigm's Plan (Combat Drills, Forced Rest)

Vote Here

Ledger & Staff updated

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 28, 2022

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Did the new "business partner" just say that they're going to be able to edit and distribute ROMs such that it isn't clear who scored kills on what, because that sounds like a great way to get implicated in things you didn't do.

Ehh, it'll be fine.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm sure there'll be a disclaimer.

People read those, right?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm sure there'll be a disclaimer.

People read those, right?

Well yeah, winners don't do drugs.

...That's what they say right?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That got me thinking about state-sponsored disclaimers.

The Kurita one demands the player to keep to the proscribed 1 hour of leisure time per night, so as to not interfere with the state-mandatory minimum of 4 hours of sleep.

The House Marik one takes almost a full hour to get through because it has to list all the local exceptions.

The House Davion one is a series of vague pictograms.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Kurita one demands the player to keep to the proscribed 1 hour of leisure time per night, so as to not interfere with the state-mandatory minimum of 4 hours of sleep.

The House Marik one takes almost a full hour to get through because it has to list all the local exceptions.

What would the Word of Blake disclaimer be like? Would they even have one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PoptartsNinja posted:

The clans have a series of checkboxes for rights to sign away (doing this in person verbally just took too much of everyone's time unnecessarily). You could, of course, not tick any of them, but that makes you a wimpy coward. True warriors bid away all of their rights. And you're not some sort of desgra weenie that would ask for special treatment, are you?

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 29, 2022