Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Death is gonna be so good. There’s no 50 hour work week in oblivion :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

No, but you're going to be trapped in the same four conversations about Mud Crabs, the temple of divines, the safety of roads, and the Thieves Guild.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

“Life is a series of compromises and disappointments, each eroding your capacity for hope a little more than the last. While this may seem cruel it's a natural progression that helps carry us from the state where you're at now, where death seems terrifying and unnatural, to where you'll be at the end of your life, where it seems a welcome and warm embrace.”

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Maybe chill on the 'dying will solve all your problems' poo poo, thanks

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My grandma died back in the 90s and my grandpa got remarried twice and died in 2020 at the age of 91 or 92 (I went to his 90th birthday but I can't remember if that was in 2018 or 2019 because Covid destroyed most of my sense of time). My other set of grandparents died within a few years of each other but had major health issues and were in their late 80s.

Edit: Another fun family fact, both of my parents are the eldest of four and were born 7 months after their parents got married.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ehud posted:

I will never die

I keep telling my wife I'm going to be the first person to live forever. She hopes so because she told me there's no way she could handle me dying first.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

yeah gently caress that

here's a positive quote that I think about every day. it's from an animated movie called World of Tomorrow. it's about a clone who travels back in time to visit the person from whom she was cloned. at one point she gives her this advice.

"Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead."

I repeat that poo poo in my head like a mantra. for whatever reason it resonates with me and keeps me in a healthy frame of mind.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I agree with this message, and love the username post combo. Finality isn't always cathartic!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ehud posted:

yeah gently caress that

here's a positive quote that I think about every day. it's from an animated movie called World of Tomorrow. it's about a clone who travels back in time to visit the person from whom she was cloned. at one point she gives her this advice.

"Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead."

I repeat that poo poo in my head like a mantra. for whatever reason it resonates with me and keeps me in a healthy frame of mind.

The Dead have FOMO.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Bird in a Blender posted:

The Dead have FOMO.

imagine being dead and unable to watch thursday night football

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Imagine dying mere months before Frosthaven finally ships to kickstarter backers.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

This is excellent thank you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I keep telling my wife I'm going to be the first person to live forever. She hopes so because she told me there's no way she could handle me dying first.

I think neurodegeneration is going to be a rate-limiting step for immortality for quite a while, but our other organs should have some pretty good help by the time we all hit our 70s. Me personally, when my brain starts to go I will rebuild my consciousness from an AI trained on all of my SA posts.

Also my wife and baby both have COVID and I want to die just the tiniest amount rn

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ehud posted:

Does this mean that I don’t have to watch Troy Aikman? I mean :shrug:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

This is how I feel about Tom Brady.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ehud posted:

Thank you for reminding me there's thursday night football, I feel like my brain hasn't fully accepted that football is back

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Ehud posted:

yeah gently caress that

This is great. I def have to remind myself at times that whatever is going on will also pass.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I stupidly have a previously scheduled trip for next week/weekend that I really shouldn’t go on because I still have to get a second coat of paint on in the dining room, start and finish painting the spare bedroom, baseboards all throughout the condo, clean up the UNGODLY amount of plaster dust blanketing the entire condo from filling and sanding the voids left from removing the stupid loving chair railing in the dining room and spare bedroom which were then painted over with the wall like three times oh and then move in all before the end of the month. Putting in the new drat flooring took up all my time!

Also we’re going to Maine in the middle of October too I’m great at planning and time management lol

E: gently caress yeah just found $200 in an old Christmas card while going through poo poo to throw out or pack up

T-Square fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 29, 2022

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I think neurodegeneration is going to be a rate-limiting step for immortality for quite a while, but our other organs should have some pretty good help by the time we all hit our 70s. Me personally, when my brain starts to go I will rebuild my consciousness from an AI trained on all of my SA posts.

Also my wife and baby both have COVID and I want to die just the tiniest amount rn

Oxidative stress gets you at like 150-170.

Also PLEASE GOD

https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/1575506796130992128?s=46&t=xejUqM-MPy82AvXR74pn4w

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1575524959912329216

wish I could believe something will come of it

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Uh, well I knew it'd be bad, but good lord

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kalli posted:

Did Nathan Explosion become governor?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Kalli posted:

Living in a glorified trailer park on the beach is great until a hurricane comes.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/npr/status/1575539658951475202?s=46&t=qL_41WWwk6FUDj3Y9mZXrQ

yep

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Stunned and shocked

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Things were looking a little too good for the Democrats before the elections. No one else was going to shoot them in the foot...

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

swickles posted:

Things were looking a little too good for the Democrats before the elections. No one else was going to shoot them in the foot...

Hey it's not like recipients of those grants vote or anything

Nov 6, 2002

They did it to prevent the whole program from getting delayed and tied up in lawsuits by banks holding the old FFEL loans.

quote:

Multiple legal experts tell NPR the reversal in policy was likely made out of concern that the private banks that manage old FFEL loans could potentially file lawsuits to stop the debt relief, arguing that Biden's plan would cause them financial harm.

When FFEL borrowers consolidate their old loans into federal Direct Loans, these private banks essentially lose business. If these banks' financial health depends, at least in part, on the assumption that they would be holding and profiting from these debts over the long-term, then losing borrowers to Biden's debt relief plan could, possibly, constitute harm.

In fact, a new lawsuit filed Thursday by six state attorneys general, makes this very argument. One of the plaintiffs, Missouri, is home to MOHELA, which manages both federal Direct Loans and these old FFEL program loans.

Changing the policy now, and limiting the number of FFEL borrowers who can conceivably qualify for debt relief, may make these FFEL banks less likely to legally oppose debt relief.

They're looking for another way to provide debt relief the FFEL borrowers that the banks can't sue over.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Kalli posted:

Holy poo poo it's crazy how you can see exactly how the water flowed for all of this.

Also, could use this thread's input - do I spend $15k to completely renovate my backyard? It's $5k over budget but there's just a lot that needs to be done to do it right.

I don't see this being my forever home and would probably like to move to a newer place within the next 5 years. Better to save the money for a down payment on something with a backyard I want?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Dango Bango posted:

Holy poo poo it's crazy how you can see exactly how the water flowed for all of this.

Also, could use this thread's input - do I spend $15k to completely renovate my backyard? It's $5k over budget but there's just a lot that needs to be done to do it right.

I don't see this being my forever home and would probably like to move to a newer place within the next 5 years. Better to save the money for a down payment on something with a backyard I want?

People drastically undervalue the cost of work done to a house. If you're thinking of moving, don't spend that. Let some moron think about what he and his buddies can get done in a weekend in two trips max to Lowes.

Nov 6, 2002

Dango Bango posted:

do I spend $15k to completely renovate my backyard?

If you *really* are going to get use out of it and enjoy the hell out of it in the next five years I guess. But know that you're never going to get that money back when you sell.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 29, 2022

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1575533359282892801?t=fw7201Cd-20j-t7VxIHlaw&s=19

YES

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thaddius the Large posted:

“Life is a series of compromises and disappointments, each eroding your capacity for hope a little more than the last. While this may seem cruel it's a natural progression that helps carry us from the state where you're at now, where death seems terrifying and unnatural, to where you'll be at the end of your life, where it seems a welcome and warm embrace.”

Love it.

What’s the quote from? Google just pops up a steam account with a Krusty the clown avatar lol

Nov 6, 2002

It'd better have the Statue of Liberty in it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dango Bango posted:

In my experience with a couple of house renos, the conventional wisdom conveyed to me was - you're far more likely to get $$$ back from kitchen and bathroom renos than stuff like a backyard.

Nov 6, 2002

Ehud posted:

In my experience with a couple of house renos, the conventional wisdom conveyed to me was - you're far more likely to get $$$ back from kitchen and bathroom renos than stuff like a backyard.

The reality is you don't get jack back. So if you do those upgrades, make sure they're mostly for yourself to enjoy.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Inshallah

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Forrest on Fire posted:

Hey it's not like recipients of those grants vote or anything

Young college grads are too loyal a Democrat bloc for their own good, they can get poo poo on like this and it won't affect midterms

They could be less loyal if there was another party.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The reality is you don't get jack back. So if you do those upgrades, make sure they're mostly for yourself to enjoy.

I'm about to do major bathroom remodels and this is my philosophy as well. I'm not spending all of this time and effort for the next owner of the house, I'm doing it so I can enjoy it

Also because I want a shower that is larger the minimum required by code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Love it.

What’s the quote from? Google just pops up a steam account with a Krusty the clown avatar lol

Gendo posted it years ago and I threw it into a word doc because it tickled my fancy, I get why his particular brand of forced pessimism wasn’t great for the forum, but this example made me laugh.