Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Unless you can definitively tell, white romex is 14ga not 12 and only good for 15A circuits. 12A is definitely the max I'd try, based on that, and with the outlet expander thing of questionable build quality maybe only 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Those are surely good reasons not to plug in but I’d probably still do it and just turn my current draw down to 12A.

I'd go down to 8A. And then I'd start calling local electricians.

dissss posted:

Assuming a RHD car, LHD might need to swap the pizza and dick hands

New thread title?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
TBH hadnt read this thread in a few days so skipped a few pages and.......

cruft posted:

I'd go down to 8A. And then I'd start calling local electricians.

New thread title?

quote:

dissss posted:

Assuming a RHD car, LHD might need to swap the pizza and dick hands

0_o

I'm just gonna back away and leave ya'll to .... whatever is going on in here.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Thank you everyone for the input! For now it seems a little sketchy so I think I’m going to not plug in and see how long until my 240 installer can get out here. Gonna try and not use that outlet for as long as possible, we’ll see how it goes.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

A question for Bolt owners: does the video rear view mirror darken properly for when an rear end in a top hat behind you turns on their high beams?

Also my dealer said my Bolt is tentatively going to arrive on October 7- I know there is an emphasis on tentative but still I’m stoked

I haven’t driven the premier bolt at night but in reviews I’ve seen the video rear view mirror mentioned as a plus when night driving, that it handles high beams behind you well

hobbez fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 28, 2022

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

what's my right hand doing?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

hobbez posted:

You get a 2k discount if you sign up for Uber to be a driver, just a heads up. I didn’t even get my background check done or anything, just had to show a screenshot of a profile with my photo in it, could not have been easier

Did you 'quit' immediately afterwards?

edit:

hobbez posted:

I haven’t driven the premier bolt at night but in reviews I’ve seen the video rear view mirror mentioned as a plus when night driving, that it handles high beams behind you well

Thanks!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbez posted:

Would you guys plug a chevy bolt charger into this?

Remove the surge protector/octopus thing and plug directly into the receptacle, and turn the current down to 8 or 10a.

Never plug into any kind of receptacle octopus or extension cord unless you’ve done the math on the combined conductor length and voltage drop from the breaker. (IE a gently caress-off heavy duty commercial extension cord can sometimes be ok.) A 12a load for hours on end will make quite a bit of heat that most consumer extension cords and adaptors will not enjoy; Doubly so if the voltage sags.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Adjusting the mirror, obviously.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Tuning the radio

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Holding the camera

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Also holding a pizza slice

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
Grabbing a water bottle to jam into the wheel to defeat the autopilot attention

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jimong5 posted:

Grabbing a water bottle to jam into the wheel to defeat the autopilot attention

Just rest your hog on it.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Man almighty, today I got my charge point home flex installed via Excel Energy program here in Colorado.
I also had them install a separate 14-50 so I can weld.
Turns out they had to basically give me everything new from the pole to the garage. I had a single (double ) 150 amp main breaker sitting underneath the meter, now I have an entire breaker box!
2 guys from 830-230, 3 guys from 230-530. What a hassle!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Just lol if you can't even hold your coffee and pizza in the same hand

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MrYenko posted:

Remove the surge protector/octopus thing and plug directly into the receptacle, and turn the current down to 8 or 10a.

Never plug into any kind of receptacle octopus or extension cord unless you’ve done the math on the combined conductor length and voltage drop from the breaker. (IE a gently caress-off heavy duty commercial extension cord can sometimes be ok.) A 12a load for hours on end will make quite a bit of heat that most consumer extension cords and adaptors will not enjoy; Doubly so if the voltage sags.

This is solid advice.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

A question for Bolt owners: does the video rear view mirror darken properly for when an rear end in a top hat behind you turns on their high beams?

Also my dealer said my Bolt is tentatively going to arrive on October 7- I know there is an emphasis on tentative but still I’m stoked

Yes, it works great at auto-dimming, I'm pretty sensitive to being blinded by my mirrors and I haven't had any problems.

Speaking of Bolts, mine made it 5 days before the first warranty repair, a bolt backed out and jammed the driver's seat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hobbez posted:

Would you guys plug a chevy bolt charger into this?

MrYenko posted:

Do this, OP. If it helps any, I'm in a similar spot and I've managed charging my EV6 at 10 amps this entire year from a similar setup and it's suited my needs just fine. I get about 50 miles overnight which covers my commute and anything else I may lose throughout the week from going to other places I make up in the weekend. I'm not going to setup/install/rewire a proper charger until I move in together with my lady friend next year. Or never, really, because lmao housing pricing.

(I also have free L2 chargers by works I can use anytime if absolutely needed)

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Here’s the work they had to do, neighbors box is on left, my new box is on right.

Welding outlet

Charger itself, on the back wall.

I think they did a really good job, possibly overkill, but I’m ok with it and I have spare breakers for whatever.
Having Excel pick up a bunch of the cost really makes it worthwhile.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What kind of climate do you live in? Putting a breaker box outside is not a smart thing where I live

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrox posted:

What kind of climate do you live in? Putting a breaker box outside is not a smart thing where I live

That's stucco, op will be fine.

I'm worried your neighbor's box is going to feel inadequate now :ohdear:

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I like big box and I cannot lie.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nitrox posted:

Denver - high desert climate, we get ~16” of rain a year. All the main breakers (small boxes) are outside (right underneath meters) in our development.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Outdoor breaker very normal where I am in TX.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm looking at a lighting. Ford wants to add 500 dollars for the charging cable. Is this normal? Does not seem normal.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Nitrox posted:

I'm looking at a lighting. Ford wants to add 500 dollars for the charging cable. Is this normal? Does not seem normal.

The replacement cable (110/240v switchable) on my XC40 EV is something like $550. Though it came with one, I'm sure it was figured into the cost.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrox posted:

I'm looking at a lighting. Ford wants to add 500 dollars

Buddy, you can get a clamp light for $10 at the hardware store.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Slapping your forehead for eating the saddest slice of pizza ever.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Slapping your forehead for eating the saddest slice of pizza ever.

PBUC, you heretic.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Evil_Greven posted:

The replacement cable (110/240v switchable) on my XC40 EV is something like $550. Though it came with one, I'm sure it was figured into the cost.

The cable or the whole charger thing?

The Taycan came with a forced "upgrade" to the wifi-connected charger. It's massive, expensive and poo poo. I've managed to disable all its features to the point it's just a dumb charger, fortunately.

Apparently it overheats if you pull a lot of watts through it at lower voltage.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/skutaycha.html

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

knox_harrington posted:

The cable or the whole charger thing?
The actual charger is inside the car. An EVSE is a cable that tells the car how much power it can pull.

knox_harrington posted:

Apparently it overheats if you pull a lot of watts through it at lower voltage.

This is physics, because what creates heat is current, and for half the voltage current needs to double for the same power. The EVSE should be able to limit power based on voltage if it is at all smart, though.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

pun pundit posted:

The actual charger is inside the car. An EVSE is a cable that tells the car how much power it can pull.

This is physics, because what creates heat is current, and for half the voltage current needs to double for the same power. The EVSE should be able to limit power based on voltage if it is at all smart, though.

:rolleyes: thank you for explaining that to me

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That sure was some 'guy behind the counter at a Jiffy Lube explaining to a woman why she needs her tires rotated' energy there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Is it still mansplaining if you do it to a dude

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!
EDIT: NM Found what I Was looking for.

I Miss Snausages fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 30, 2022

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I thought you'd still need the big battery pack because you simply can't get the amount of power required out of a smaller one, even for a fairly brief period.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

So, I've been shuffling the Leaf and the Bolt every night when I get home, because I have one L2 charger and two EVs that have to be charged nightly to get to and from work. GF gets home around 5PM in the Bolt, I typically get home around 2:30.

I realized I could just charge the Leaf with the L1 charger it came from yesterday when I got home, gives me just enough juice over 10 hours to get to work, and I've got a 20A circuit dedicated to one outdoor outlet, a 25' 12 gauge extension cord, all the good stuff.

I just came home, late, and was horrified to realize she plugged into the L1 charger, with the Bolt set to 8A max on L1 charging.

She has the range to get to work, but we're supposed to go to a concert and stuff after and it's like 200 miles of driving and the Bolt's at 120 on the guess-o-meter.

I probably should have explained this stuff to her, but she did so well in the Leaf figuring out fast chargers and dealing very well with range anxiety I thought she had it figured out.

It's not a huge deal, we'll just fast-charge somewhere, but it's an interesting little complication to EV lyfe.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Any of you Volt owners have the "shift to park" problem serviced? I was planning to do it myself until I learned that a late 2020 service bulletin puts it under the 8 year/100,000 mile Voltec warranty so now I need to plan for how long I'll be one car short.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

Any of you Volt owners have the "shift to park" problem serviced? I was planning to do it myself until I learned that a late 2020 service bulletin puts it under the 8 year/100,000 mile Voltec warranty so now I need to plan for how long I'll be one car short.

I did my own... I ordered a small package of replacement switches from AliExpress for $10 and swapped one in about 2 years ago at 30k miles. At 80k miles now and the problem has not returned. The logistics of getting my only vehicle to the nearest Volt certified dealer was just not worth it when I could fix it myself for $10 and less than an hour of my time.

Many others have reported having to fight with the dealer about it being covered. There are several GM vehicles with this problem, but the Volt is the only one were it is covered beyond the standard bumper to bumper warranty. Be prepared with a printout of the newest copy of the TSB. The note about the Volt being covered is on the last page I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nobody wants to be jerked off by a disembodied arm bolted to a table I want a humanoid form with some robot titties.

e: sorry wrong thread