Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SoggyBobcat posted:

Anyone have any idea what that "no data" stretch in south-central Germany could be?
Those areas weren't part of Europe at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SoggyBobcat posted:

Anyone have any idea what that "no data" stretch in south-central Germany could be?

those are the times when Jesus lived there

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

https://twitter.com/oneradchee/status/1574524618496364544?s=46&t=jZHw5NuxJPz_529KgB-8Dw

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why does Tanzania love the Empire so much?

Article by Boris Johnson for the Telegraph

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Oh wow, everyone's really missing out. Even the little Slovak brothers only have Ŕ.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
It's very appropriate for the UK to be just over 50% evil by a hair. Clearly this is a strong mandate, the will of the people has been expressed

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/jaydenvdheck/status/1574878188802547723?s=46&t=__OVRyyHFtMMnNjQ_5lE7Q

This one in the QRTs was fun

https://twitter.com/lsls_member/status/1575183608977199104?s=46&t=__OVRyyHFtMMnNjQ_5lE7Q

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

yeti friend posted:

With a big goblin in it

Does everyone on this goddamn website play Total Warhammer? I keep seeing its thread leaking into D&D

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Triskelli posted:

Does everyone on this goddamn website play Total Warhammer? I keep seeing its thread leaking into D&D

Skelly boy SHOCKED to find out basement dwelling peers do nerd activities

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Benagain posted:

Skelly boy SHOCKED to find out basement dwelling peers do nerd activities

do you really live in a basement?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

lol at euros smugging over their own continent when you could probably convince them of whatever in Asia, Africa and Latin America

Actually that's being really generous, you could probably make up several former Yugoslav republics and stumble them up.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
haha, can you believe Yanks think there's a country along this popular vacation coast in France and Catalonia???

Hmm, the People's Republic of Slavlyarsk on the Black Sea between Moldova, Romania, and Ukraine? Seems legit.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

What the hell is that?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mozambique?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
As an alcoholic I'm just imagining what wonderful wine that region would make

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rip marseilles

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

yeti friend posted:

do you really live in a basement?

no I dwell there i just said

AgentF
May 11, 2009
[quote="Tree Goat" post="526594119"]
https://twitter.com/jaydenvdheck/status/1574878188802547723?s=46&t=__OVRyyHFtMMnNjQ_5lE7Q

It's the country of Megaco.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Plus Ultra Riviera

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Atlantis?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's the new russia

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Grape posted:

lol at euros smugging over their own continent when you could probably convince them of whatever in Asia, Africa and Latin America

Actually that's being really generous, you could probably make up several former Yugoslav republics and stumble them up.

Yeah, laughing at Americans for not knowing geography is one thing, but it's not like most Europeans can place any states on a blank map of the US except California and maybe Florida. At least anecdotally, the average European knows where Tennessee is about as well as the average American knows where Austria is. And also why should they? It's a part of the world most people will go to maybe once or twice in their life. It'd be like some Peruvian in Iquitos laughing because you don't know where the Urubamba and Amazon rivers intersect.

OTOH I had dinner with my cousin's family once when we were like 15 and the word "Maryland" was written out on the menu, and my same-aged cousin said "What's a Marry-Land?". She lived in North Carolina.

Similar anecdote, when we lived in Luxembourg, we also had a close Tunisian friend try to send us a package. She went to the post office and they refused to mail her package because we only gave her a 4-digit ZIP code and the post office worker was adamant that every location in France needed a 5 digit postcode to be sent. Our friend left and got mad at us for only giving her an "incomplete" 4 digit ZIP code to our address and that she'd have to go back and wait again in line half an hour to send a letter internationally. Luxembourg uses 4 digit ZIP codes and is not, in fact, a part of France. This friend had been around several countries in Europe before and was well-educated and spoke English, French, Arabic, had an engineering degree, etc.

Oh and I forgot the ending to that story. She went back and sent the package and insisted that four digits was correct. obviously it never arrived. Guaranteed some postal office worker saw a four digit zip code going to Luxembourg, France, figured it would never arrive anyway so they might as well steal it and eat all the baklava for themselves rather than let those corrupt French postal workers steal a package that wood never reach its destination anyway.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 29, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grape posted:

haha, can you believe Yanks think there's a country along this popular vacation coast in France and Catalonia???

Hmm, the People's Republic of Slavlyarsk on the Black Sea between Moldova, Romania, and Ukraine? Seems legit.

I'm sorry some people have seen a map in their lives op, I understand it's very traumatic

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Saladman posted:

It'd be like some Peruvian in Iquitos laughing because you don't know where the Urubamba and Amazon rivers intersect.

They don’t.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Saladman posted:

Yeah, laughing at Americans for not knowing geography is one thing, but it's not like most Europeans can place any states on a blank map of the US except California and maybe Florida. At least anecdotally, the average European knows where Tennessee is about as well as the average American knows where Austria is. And also why should they? It's a part of the world most people will go to maybe once or twice in their life. It'd be like some Peruvian in Iquitos laughing because you don't know where the Urubamba and Amazon rivers intersect.
The European analogue to US states are German federal states, which have a similar average population and distribution. Like, the bottom third of American states are the equivalent of one of the Baltic countries, and they're not even ostensibly sovereign so they can have a beef with Russia, and even a big-ish state like Tennessee is smaller than half the states of the EU.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
The European analogue would be identifying countries in Africa

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If American subnational entities are not sovereign, explain why the NYPD has an international intelligence service

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If American subnational entities are not sovereign, explain why the NYPD has an international intelligence service

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Idk I think the comparison works. They both have their foreign policy set in D.C.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The European analogue to US states are German federal states, which have a similar average population and distribution. Like, the bottom third of American states are the equivalent of one of the Baltic countries, and they're not even ostensibly sovereign so they can have a beef with Russia, and even a big-ish state like Tennessee is smaller than half the states of the EU.

Yeah, that might be fair. Now think about how many Swiss or French you'd have to ask to label a map of Germany and list any state besides Bavaria on it. And they wouldn't be able to, and who cares? It's not any more relevant to a typical Parisian than it is for an American knowing which country is Austria.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I bet most Europeans still wouldn't be able to tell you where Lodomeria is.

Saladman posted:

Yeah, laughing at Americans for not knowing geography is one thing, but it's not like most Europeans can place any states on a blank map of the US except California and maybe Florida. At least anecdotally, the average European knows where Tennessee is about as well as the average American knows where Austria is. And also why should they? It's a part of the world most people will go to maybe once or twice in their life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2M1tLmkHpg&t=1126s

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I bet most Europeans still wouldn't be able to tell you where Lodomeria is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2M1tLmkHpg&t=1126s

Wow, not bad at all. Way better than I'd have guessed. OTOH I guess also the ubiquity of American media makes those names show up in German or British people's lives a lot more often than like, Thuringia, shows up in the US news or media.

Not to move goalposts too much.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I can label a blank map of africa but ask me the counties of the uk or the departments of france and I'm lost. the german states are much easier

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's an international crime syndicate.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
YouGov have just released a poll with Labour over thirty points ahead, which would mean… this:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

TinTower posted:

YouGov have just released a poll with Labour over thirty points ahead, which would mean… this:

Tory free from sea to shining sea

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

labour would feel too bad and form a unity national government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

i say swears online posted:

labour would feel too bad and form a unity national government

Powerful Nick Clegg energy